Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Guardian Comment

(Read 2517 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Guardian Comment
     OP - October 02, 2015, 05:11 PM

I left this comment to the author of the article on the Guardian website about Maryam Namazie:

Dear David Shariatmadari.

I'm sorry but your article is disingenuous. You misrepresent what Maryam Namzie is saying. She is not saying it is impossible to reform Islam. She is saying that reform is impossible until the Islamists are defeated and she is absolutely right. She says that as long as a far right regressive movement that has state power in many places or holds influence in some non-Muslim countries it will continue to stifle liberals, moderates and feminist Muslims through it's inquisition tactics. That's why reform is impossible as long as we don't confront and defeat the Islamists (not ordinary Muslims.) I know she is right because I am a Muslim who is desperately trying to reform my religion. However I constantly come up against the threats, intimidation and suppression from the Islamists. Maryam Namzie is not a hater nor a bigot nor an "Islamophobe" - she targets the Islamists - not ordinary Muslims!! People like those at Warwick University who wanted Maryam banned are the ones hurting Islamic reform. Not Maryam Namzie. They hurt Islamic reform because instead of protecting us and our voices from the Islamists - they allow the islamists to get away with banning any critical voices and keep Muslims in line and fearful of speaking out. I know Maryam personally and joined her on many of her protests and campaigns in support of Muslim reformists and Muslim Liberals and Muslim feminists and I know that far from being against ordinary Muslims or reformists Muslims, she is actually one of the very few brave voices who speaks up for us.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/01/university-of-warwick-maryam-namazie-activist?CMP=share_btn_fb
  • Guardian Comment
     Reply #1 - October 02, 2015, 06:28 PM

This user said everything I would have liked to say.

Vanderbelt
    There's a lot of conflating of Islam with Muslims in this article. Full of the usual nonsense that anyone who is critical of Islam is also somehow being critical of Muslims per se, as if they are uniquely in the world some kind of homogeneous bloc where they all believe exactly the same things and that their belief system is is part of their DNA and can't change. Ridiculous of course. But sadly it's a trap that many on the left seem to have fallen into.
  • Guardian Comment
     Reply #2 - October 03, 2015, 08:47 PM

as if they are uniquely in the world some kind of homogeneous bloc where they all believe exactly the same things and that their belief system is is part of their DNA and can't change. Ridiculous of course. But sadly it's a trap that many on the left seem to have fallen into.

This is a trap many on all sides of the debate have fallen into - left, right and centre.
  • Guardian Comment
     Reply #3 - October 04, 2015, 03:35 AM

Great comment, Hassan.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »