Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 12:02 PM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Maryam Namazie speech blocked by the Student Union

(Read 23600 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Maryam Namazie speech blocked by the Student Union
     Reply #30 - December 03, 2015, 07:50 PM

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #31 - December 03, 2015, 10:18 PM

Can I just ask - what the fuck is a "safe space"?
     Reply #32 - December 03, 2015, 10:28 PM

I take it Mr Xxhassan isn't in the UK? He may have people paying him a visit if he is.
     Reply #33 - December 03, 2015, 11:55 PM

A safe space is an American embarrassment meant to protect those in higher learning from being challenged on hearing things they don't like or are against their beliefs. The fact it's being copied in British universities is an embarrassment and a disgrace.

South Park explains it rather well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQkXXBqj_U

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #34 - December 04, 2015, 12:04 AM

This forum is a safe space with an ex-Muslim emphasis, in case nobody's noticed the point of our rules.
     Reply #35 - December 04, 2015, 01:02 AM

What a charming fellow.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #36 - December 04, 2015, 02:15 AM

Death Threats And Intimidation’ At Controversial Goldsmiths Lecture With Speaker Maryam Namazie from londonstudent.com

Students at Goldsmiths “disrupted” a controversial talk with human rights activist and broadcaster Maryam Namazie yesterday evening, with some audience members accused of issuing death threats.

Organised by Goldsmiths’ Atheist, Secularist and Humanist society, Namazie was speaking on the topic of ‘Apostasy, blasphemy and free expression in the age of ISIS’.

Namazie wrote after the event: “After my talk began, Isoc “brothers” started coming into the room, repeatedly banging the door, falling on the floor, heckling me, playing on their phones, shouting out, and creating a climate of intimidation in order to try and prevent me from speaking.

“I continued speaking as loudly as I could. They repeatedly walked back and forth in front of me. In the midst of my talk, one of the Isoc Islamists switched off my PowerPoint and left. The University security had to intervene and remain in the room as I continued my talk.

“Eventually the thug who had switched off my PowerPoint returned and continued his harassments. At this point, I stood my ground, screamed loudly and continued insisting that he be removed even when the security said he should stay because he was a student.”

A student, during yesterday’s lecture, moved to turn off the main screen when Namazie showed a cartoon from the series Jesus and Mo.

Allegations were also made in last night’s event that certain members of the audience had issued direct death threats. One speaker, lecturer and activist Reza Moradi, said that the person threatening him “looked right into my eyes and with his finger, shaping hand like a handgun, touched his forehead.”

He said: “I asked the security guard if he saw the death threat and he confirmed it”, adding that he has had “many issues with Islamists and lots of threats but this one was different.”

Moradi, having rewatched footage from the event, later added: “I’d like to correct a detail in my previous statement. I asked him to shut up and he then threatened me.”

Maryam Namazie had previously been invited by the Warwick Atheist, secularist and humanist society (WASH) in September but was told by organisers she was “highly inflammatory and could incite hatred” in Muslim students. Warwick’s students’ union overturned its decision to ban her, however, following a successful campaign.

Prior to yesterday’s event, Goldsmiths’ Islamic Society (Isoc) released a statement saying that it “[expressed] deep concern regarding Goldsmiths Atheist, secularist and humanist society with renounced Islamophobe Maryam Namazi”.

The statement continued to read she “is known to hold very controversial views”, adding “we feel such an individual will violate our safe space”.

When London Student requested a response from the organisers of the event, the Goldsmiths’ ASH society, its president said the society had sent an email to the Islamic society’s president “because I wanted them to be included in Maryam’s talk and the ensuing discussion,” but that the group “had responded to my email with a thinly veiled threat asking me to call off the event on the grounds of violating the safe space policy”.

He also clarified that despite the students’ union approving the speaker “some of the predominantly male members of the Isoc then showed up and made a strong effort to disrupt Maryam’s speech”.

He accused some in the Goldsmiths Islamic Society of making a “great effort to create an atmosphere of intimidation and belligerence at the event, rendering the talk feeling unsafe for non-Isoc attendees who wished to have a ‘safe space’ to discuss dissenting ideas about religion.”

An email seen by London Student, sent by the president of Isoc to the president of the ASH society read: “As an Islamic society, we feel extremely uncomfortable by the fact that you have invited Maryam Namazie. As you very well probably know, she is renowned for being Islamophobic, and very controversial.

“Just a few examples of her Islamophobic statements, she labelled the niqab- a religious symbol for Muslim women, “a flag for far-right Islamism”. Also, she went onto tweet, they are ”body bags” for women. That is just 2 examples of how mindless she is, and presents her lack of understanding and knowledge about Islam.

“We feel having her present, will be a violation to our safe space, a policy which Goldsmiths SU adheres to strictly, and my society feels that all she will do is incite hatred and bigotry, at a very sensitive time for Muslims in the light of a huge rise in Islamophobic attacks.

“For this reason, we advise you to reconsider your event tomorrow. We will otherwise, take this to the Students Union, and present our case there. I however, out of courtesy, felt it would be better to speak to you first.”

Maryam Namazi, when asked if she could give her response to the talk, said: “Goldsmiths Isoc never made any formal complaint to the students’ union” arguing last night’s incidents were an “attempt at intimidating Atheist Secularist and Humanist organisers”.

She also told London Student: This very group which absurdly speaks of “safe spaces” has in the past invited Hamza Tzortzis of IERA which says beheading of apostates is painless and Moazem Begg of Cage Prisoners that advocates “defensive jihad”.

Namazie added that despite the “many attempts by the ISOC “brothers” the meeting ended successfully and raised critical issues, including that criticism of Islam and Islamism are not bigotry against Muslims who are often the first victims of Islamism.”

Featured image via @RezaMoradi/Twitter

This article was amended on 1 December to clarify at student did not turn of Nawazie’s powerpoint presentation after she showed a cartoon from the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, but after she showed a cartoon from Jesus and Mo.The headline was also changed to describe the lecture itself as ‘controversial’ rather than the speaker.

The details of an alleged death threat, as referenced in the headline, were mistakenly removed during an edit, but restored on 2 December. A passage was updated to describe Reza Moradi as a lecturer and activist. He was previously without a description. A further detail was added to the alleged death threat, after Moradi who spoke with London Student, rewatched footage from the event.

I hope Govt of Britain watches THE ROGUES OF ISLAM with third eye take such threats seriously.  other wise they will burn down England

http://www.londonstudent.coop/goldsmiths-students-union-consider-legal-action-against-bahar-mustafa-fake-email/

http://www.londonstudent.coop/goldsmiths-su-ced-apologises/

don't forget to read those two links also..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #37 - December 04, 2015, 11:48 AM

Goldsmiths LGBTQ+ Soc comes out in support of ISoc: https://mobile.twitter.com/KiranOpal/status/672675686146924544/photo/1
     Reply #38 - December 04, 2015, 11:54 AM

What a laugh! Do they even know what every Islamic Society thinks about Homosexuals and Sexuality?? They see AIDS and HIV as God taking revenge!
     Reply #39 - December 04, 2015, 12:51 PM

Reacting to the ranks of the "rude, loud and disruptive" is "mistreatment" now. Pointing out their ideological affiliation in what is unambiguous video evidence of their behaviour is "racializing". If the LGBTQ+ society at Goldsmiths' want to express solidarity with *that*, well.. there have been less conventional student political alliances, I suppose.
     Reply #40 - December 04, 2015, 12:58 PM

That comment from the LGBTQ+ society is so beyond idiotic I struggle to find words to describe it.

Reply #41 - December 04, 2015, 03:13 PM

Solidarity to stand behind abusers!!! ABUSERS HAVE RIGHTS TOO, OK? DON'T FILM THEM WHEN THEY'RE ABUSING ANYONE!

They were filmed without their consent!!! Even though they came specifically to threaten Maryam... who was threatened with her consent, of course!!!

Do they even know what "consent" means?

The camera was there to record Maryam, but they were harassing her so they were caught doing it... But these idiots are the victims because they're filmed without their consent..

Regressive left and their stupidity!
     Reply #42 - December 04, 2015, 03:51 PM

Goldsmiths' SU have requested that the video be taken down.

Youtube may or may not fall for rogue copyright claims (they have done in the past), but I can't help but wonder whether anyone submitting such a claim would be aware of the Streisand effect.
     Reply #43 - December 04, 2015, 03:54 PM

Like when Tom Cruise apparently tried to stop a repeat of South Park taking the piss out of him.

Reply #44 - December 04, 2015, 04:33 PM

Offers by Ian David Morris and Tom Holland to give talks on early Islamic history to Goldsmiths Atheist Secularist and Humanist Society.

https://mobile.twitter.com/iandavidmorris/status/672685380194443264
     Reply #45 - December 04, 2015, 04:40 PM

Good for them.

Reply #46 - December 04, 2015, 05:00 PM

It was a public event. The protestors attended, behaved  disruptively and are now claiming rights to privacy?   

Even if Youtube agrees on PC 'Islamophobic' grounds, would just blurring their faces not meet this bogus objection?
     Reply #47 - December 04, 2015, 05:07 PM

So far the request to take it down seems to be to Maryam rather than Youtube. I'm not sure what grounds they'd have for asking Youtube to take it down. I guess the usual reason is copyright but in this case I assume copyright would be held by whoever did the filming.
     Reply #48 - December 04, 2015, 05:12 PM

You'd think so, but the Krauss/Tzortzis debate (of segregation controversy fame) a few years ago was taken down quite regularly by Youtube as a result of requests from iERA (for a while, anyway). The cunning buggers even got LiveLeak to take it down, and LiveLeak is pretty lax about that sort of thing, so.. I wouldn't be too surprised if someone at least attempts it.
     Reply #49 - December 04, 2015, 05:21 PM

A safe space is an American embarrassment meant to protect those in higher learning from being challenged...

Words fail me.
     Reply #50 - December 04, 2015, 07:53 PM

This is a really confusing thing.

ISOC's ploy is censorship. This is what they were attempting all along, but now their actions have instead lead to further publicity. The copyright claim to remove the video from youtube is of course another attempt at the same. I'm not sure how, but it might be a good idea to somehow signal boost the video now if we can, so at the very least even if it is taken down, it's impact will have not been forgotten.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #51 - December 04, 2015, 10:14 PM

(I hope Maryam sends them a comment)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/muslim-students-from-goldsmiths-university-s-islamic-society-heckle-and-aggressively-interrupt-a6760306.html
    Muslim students from Goldsmiths University’s Islamic Society ‘heckle and aggressively interrupt’ Maryam Namazie talk
    The university’s Feminist Society says it ‘stands in solidarity with Goldsmiths Islamic Society’

Reply #52 - December 04, 2015, 10:35 PM

Cheesy Reminds me of the old line about "the gods must love fools, because they made so many of them".

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #53 - December 07, 2015, 03:02 PM

I am getting more and more fed up with Western Liberals.
     Reply #54 - December 07, 2015, 04:35 PM

This is how Muslims look at Maryam and other Exmuslims, they don't respect you or show any mercy to reverts.
    They know Maryam and the speech before it was done, why did they attend? Why didn't they let her finish her words and then discuss her and show the mistakes and errors in her words?
    This can't be done because it is against their barbarian nature.

Muslims may show some kindness and softness to Christians , Jews or other groups in order to attract them to Islam and be a Muslim.
    However, for Exmuslims " reverts ", they deserve nothing but murder because they left Islam.
    Maryam's speech was in the UK, this is why they didn't commit any violence but tried to distract her attention to lose control.

Don't believe that Muslims are people of peace and love.
    Their hearts are full of Hatred and treachery

I know some of you will say " hey you not all Muslims don't include all in your comments ...etc". My comments are not addressed to Westerns Exmuslims, I am talking about us in the middle East and Arab Muslim countries where you will never imagine how we are writing and hiding as rats to not be recognised.

Thanks for this form which really isca source of courage, energy and life for me.
     Reply #55 - December 09, 2015, 12:23 AM

Islamic society president resigns amid homophobic tweet allegations
     Reply #56 - December 09, 2015, 01:04 AM

Poor thing. First he's harassed and intimidated by Maryam Namazie and the mean old secularists, now he's being bullied by the LGBTs. I wonder if the LGBT society will still be supporting the islamic society.

Reply #57 - December 09, 2015, 01:22 AM

Islamic organizations are usually active in leftist movements. Contacts are made and relationships developed, which may be the reason why feminist and lgbtq activists act the way they do. It may not be the same islamic organization, it maybe another that has people who have friends who work in these leftist organizations that tells them that these guys are bigots. Twittercampaigns may change that, but not necessarily.
     Reply #58 - December 09, 2015, 01:40 AM

The liberal racism faced by ex-muslims

Why some lefties hate the likes of Maryam Namazie.

It’s hard not to admire the steadfastness of someone like Maryam Namazie. The flack this ex-Muslim, secularist campaigner receives from Islamist nutjobs is surely tough to deal with. Namazie regularly has her speeches interrupted, picketed and banned. This week was no exception, when a talk she was due to give at Goldsmiths University in London was disrupted by members of the Islamic Society. During her talk, they tried to shout over her and turned off her PowerPoint presentation – one member has even been accused of making a death threat. This all came after an unsuccessful campaign to have her talk cancelled.

However, what must be far more confusing for Namazie is the attacks she receives from so-called liberals. After the University of Warwick Students’ Union attempted to bar her from speaking a few months ago, a Guardian writer came out in support of the ban. She is regularly described in left-leaning circles as an ‘Islamophobe’, a racist or a ‘native informant’. Why? Because Namazie does not fit the victim mould that so-called leftists apply to all people of Muslim heritage. Her disagreement is akin to treason.

This ostracising of inconvenient voices is not rare. A recent meeting of the group Stop the War, held to discuss the prospect of airstrikes in Syria, saw a group of Syrians being silenced, ignored and eventually escorted out by the organisers. Stop the War claims to stand against imperialism and represent the will of the people in Syria, but this seemingly didn’t include the Syrians at this particular meeting. This was all because they were the wrong kind of Syrians – that is, they disagreed with Stop the War’s opposition to military intervention to topple Bashar al-Assad. Solidarity, it seems, is far easier when people shut up and listen to you.

Another example of this disturbing trend is the attempt to discredit inconvenient Muslims or ex-Muslims by labelling them ‘native informants’ or suggesting they are not real Muslims. Islamic advocacy group CAGE has thrown this accusation at people it disagrees with. During George Galloway’s campaign for the 2012 Bradford West by-election, his supporters handed out leaflets claiming Labour candidate Imran Hussain had previously consumed alcohol. At a recent event at the University of Bath, a visiting speaker labelled ex-Muslims ‘the new McCarthyites’.

The goal of such smears is obvious. Those who position themselves as representing an underprivileged group benefit from the perception that their constituents are one homogenous bloc. When people like liberal, anti-extremist campaigner Maajid Nawaz, or the Syrians that attended the Stop the War meeting, get too noisy, it upsets the narrative. The solution is to tar them as traitors, inauthentic or agents of the elite. For those that employ this tactic, there is only one way to be Muslim or Syrian. It is difficult to imagine a more bigoted view.

This tactic attempts to delegitimise and silence anyone who doesn’t fit the imposed groupthink. It also fosters division and sectarianism. You are either with us or with them, they say. You cannot be a true Muslim and work with the government on extremism. You cannot be a true Syrian and want international intervention against Assad. The galling part is that this rhetoric comes from those who claim to be on the side of the oppressed. While they may rail against those who claim all Muslims are IS-supporting maniacs, they, too, tar all Muslims with the same brush.

This sort of tribalism appears to get to the heart of the problem with modern leftish politics. Disagreement is treated as treason: Tory supporters are either selfish scum or idiots who have been hoodwinked into misplacing their vote, and if you’re not pro-Corbyn you must be a Blairite or a covert Conservative. That the company they keep is also incredibly intolerant should hardly come as a surprise.

Reply #59 - December 09, 2015, 02:01 AM

Why we must fight for free speech for people we loathe

This article sums things up perfectly. It's depressing it even needs to be said at all.

At a glance, it seems a fightback against censorship has finally kicked off in Britain. Headlines inform us of a ‘feminist backlash against the censors’, proof, apparently, that the ‘tide [is] turning in the free-speech debate’. Even the Guardian has taken a five-minute breather from demanding restraints on Page 3, lads’ mags and sexist comedians to publish a piece criticising student officials’ No Platforming of radical feminists, telling us that ‘college is about learning to think’. The University of Warwick’s students’ union was forced to backtrack on its scandalous ban on Iranian secularist Maryam Namazie after liberal newspaper columnists raised hell. And the news that Bahar Mustafa, diversity officer at Goldsmiths Students’ Union, will shortly appear in court partly for having tweeted the hashtag #killallwhitemen has been met with near universal condemnation.

On one level, this feels good. At last people are taking seriously a freedom that spiked has been championing since we were founded, which we describe as ‘the foundational freedom upon which every other right we enjoy is built’. But on another level there’s a serious problem with this supposed backlash against censorship, something that ought to make all true free speechers feel uncomfortable. Which is this: for the most part, and certainly in all the recent flashpoint cases mentioned above, people are only defending free speech for people they like. In fact, their new interest in freedom of speech was kindled only when a colleague, comrade or mate of theirs faced censorship. They aren’t defending freedom of speech; they’re defending friends’ speech. And today’s various, distinct, disconnected calls to ‘let my friend speak!’ could actually damage rather that boost that most pressing cause of the 21st century: the fight for the right of everyone – literally everyone – to say, sing, write, depict and think whatever they like.

What we’re witnessing is not a new movement for freedom of speech, but the rise of cliques that deploy the language of freedom in a quite cynical way to defend people who espouse ideas they agree with. So feminist commentators are currently arguing against students’ unions’ banning of Julie Bindel, yet say nothing about the banning of Dapper Laughs by Cardiff University, or the NUS’s nationwide clampdown on ‘laddish banter’ (speech), or the ban on the Sun and ‘Blurred Lines’ on campuses across Britain. They aren’t defending freedom of speech, which is, by definition, undiscriminating, and should apply as equally to a sexist rugby club leader as it should to Julie Bindel; instead they are merely defending speech, in this case Bindel’s speech, the content of which they admire and support.

Likewise, the secularists who defended Maryam Namazie said nothing about the banning of a homophobic Islamist preacher at the University of East London. And Bahar Mustafa and her friends might be terribly concerned about Mustafa’s arrest for tweeting #killallwhitemen – as they should be – but, as I discovered when I debated Mustafa in London last month, they don’t support anyone else’s right to be offensive: not lads, not ‘transphobes’, not people who are critical of Islam – no one.

Indeed, many of those fighting for friends’ speech actively support restrictions on non-friends’ speech. The defenders of Bindel include people who campaigned to end Page 3. In a letter to the Observer denouncing the No Platforming of feminists, various activists and academics called for a return to that time when No Platform was ‘a tactic used against self-proclaimed fascists and Holocaust deniers’. That so many can use the language of freedom of speech to defend people they like while simultaneously giving the nod, or turning a blind eye, to the censorship of people they don’t like – fascists, sexists, Islamists, pornographers – should leave no doubt that we are not witnessing a new fight for freedom of speech. If anything, the ideal of freedom of speech is being damaged, badly, by those who use the language of freedom in the pursuit of the very narrow, self-serving aim of preserving their own political influence.

Freedom entails allowing everyone to speak, and trusting the audience to decide which ideas are good and which are bad. The new ‘backlash against censorship’ doesn’t do this. It’s actually a cry for privileged speech not free speech – ‘Let this person speak because what she says is important. Those other people? Whose ideas aren’t important? I don’t really care about them.’ In privileging some speakers’ rights over others, these new ‘free speech’ campaigners empty freedom of speech of its profound, democratic value: which is as a means of permitting the expression of all ideas – every idea on Earth – in the name of enlightening and enlivening the public sphere and creating a healthy clash of beliefs in which we, the public, are the judges. A true devotee of freedom of speech says, ‘Let everyone speak, because it is important that all sides are heard and that the public has the right to use their moral muscles and decide who they trust and who they don’t’. The new, partial campaigners for friends’ speech effectively say, ‘Let my friend speak. She is interesting. She will tell the public what they need to hear.’ These are profoundly different positions, the former built on liberty and humanism, the latter motored by a desire to protect oneself, and oneself alone, from censorship. The former is free speech; the latter ‘me speech’.

Many people took umbrage when, in that London debate last month, I argued that it isn’t enough to defend freedom for people we like; far more importantly, we must defend it for people we loathe. They argued that, actually, it’s perfectly natural to focus on freedom for one’s friends. At openDemcoracy, Rahila Gupta said I was being ‘disingenuous’ because ‘we all prioritise the campaigns we get involved in’. ‘It is possible to support freedom of expression in principle without feeling motivated enough to campaign for an expression of ideas which you disagree with’, she said. In short, you can support free speech in principle without supporting it in practice – really? On the Conversation, a lecturer in philosophy said I was wrong because ‘it is natural and justifiable to give priority to people who have something to say that seems intellectually attractive or socially valuable’. He said: ‘I can insist as a general point that my opponents should have freedom of speech, without having the time and inclination to put up my hand for each specific opponent who runs into difficulties.’

Is it really ‘natural’ to devote more time to defending freedom of speech for your friends than for your enemies? I would say no. In fact, it’s positively dangerous, and self-defeating, to take such a selfish, cynical approach to the freedom to speak. The most important thing in the fight for free speech is consistency, the recognition that this liberty is enjoyed by everyone or by no one. If the state bans a neo-fascist march and liberals don’t actively campaign against that ban – spending time and energy writing articles, haranguing politicians, organising protests – then they aren’t only letting down neo-fascists: they’re letting down the cause of freedom. The power of the state would grow, and freedom of speech would be diminished. The logic of censorship – that some ideas are so wicked they must be suppressed – would be left intact. And if that logic can be used against neo-fascists – or lads, or comics who tell rape jokes, or misogynistic rappers – then it can be used against you. It’s the logic of censorship that must be fought against, in every single case, because, as Thomas Paine said, ‘He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself’.

To this end, we should take inspiration, not from the new warriors for ‘me speech’, but from Aryeh Neier. He was national director of the American Civil Liberties Union in the 1970s, during which time he devoted a massive amount of energy to demanding the right of the National Socialist Party of America to march through a largely Jewish town called Skokie. Neier had fled Nazi Germany when he was a child, and much of his extended family was wiped out in the Holocaust. And yet he fought, hard, tirelessly, for free speech for Nazis. Yet today’s campaigners say they don’t have the ‘time and inclination’ to defend a comedian who makes a rubbish rape joke or a student rugby society that says ‘minger’. What moral pygmies these supposed warriors for free speech are in comparison with the likes of Neier.

Neier recognised the centrality of consistency to the fight for free speech. ‘Nazis must be free to speak because Jews must be free to speak and because I must be free to speak’, he said. ‘Defending my enemy is the only way to protect a free society against the enemies of freedom.’ Defending your enemies – that is what free speech is about. I will believe a backlash against censorship has really begun when I see feminists marching through the streets to defend the right of comedians to joke about rape, left-wingers fighting tooth-and-nail against every restriction on neo-fascist political activity, and middle-class Guardian readers arguing hard for the right of football fans to swear and shout and sing insanely offensive songs on the terraces. Until then, all we have are cliques defending themselves, not a serious war against the right of the state or anyone else to tell people what they may think and utter.

• Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »