Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Terrified of Parents

(Read 2826 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Terrified of Parents
     OP - September 16, 2015, 10:36 PM

I'm a 14 year old teenage girl in America, living with my Somali Muslim parents. They aren't very religious, but I think if I told them I was having doubts about my religion, they'd never speak to me again. And I feel so guilty about this! I know I'm young to be talking on this forum, but I'm so scared, what should I do?
  • Terrified of Parents
     Reply #1 - September 17, 2015, 01:25 AM

Welcome. parrot

For now there's little you can do unfortunately. If your parents aren't accepting there's not a lot you can do other than bare with it for now. In four years you'll legally be an adult and can make your way independently in this world.

Are your parents the type to worry about? Would you be in danger if you told them you're having doubts?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Terrified of Parents
     Reply #2 - September 17, 2015, 01:29 AM

I would keep your doubts to yourself for now. You are not alone, but you have to wait a while before you can strike out on your own or find others like yourself in your community. The good news is that you have tons of resources in the US when you reach maturity. Study as hard as you can, so you have a better chance at independence. Your parents will be proud of your studying, too, so if they have any suspicions your good behaviour will serve you well. Keep your eye on the prize, and be patient.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Terrified of Parents
     Reply #3 - September 17, 2015, 06:20 AM

Join secular clubs and organizations if there are any in your area and make friends with people who'd make you feel comfortable being open. Would act as a safe space, and they might be able to help and give support further down the line.

A lot of people suffer because they surround themselves with close-mindedly religious friends, so when they become more open they lose a lot of their friends. You have the time to make that not happen.
  • Terrified of Parents
     Reply #4 - September 17, 2015, 11:02 AM

From my own experience I would suggest not voicing your doubts regarding religion yet. You are quite young and dependant on your parents who support you and you might find yourself in a difficult position if you rebelled against your culture, traditions and most importantly religion. For now concentrate on your studies and work towards being completely independent down the line so you do not have to rely on your parents or anyone else for financial support etc.

Lots of good advice from the posters above and well done on finding this useful and important forum. Make sure you erase your history and such when you visit here.
  • Terrified of Parents
     Reply #5 - November 03, 2015, 12:18 AM

Welcome  parrot

I'll be sending an updated version of the Covering Your Internet Tracks article to Maryam Namazie soon, so you and others can take advantage of it to stay safe.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »