Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Maybe someone might help with a question...

(Read 2374 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Maybe someone might help with a question...
     OP - September 01, 2015, 08:20 AM

I tried this already but I'll try it here...
    If I don't get any joy then no worries I'll research it
    from the obvious places (not ideal with the wealth of history here)...

Hi all,
    New here. I've always been non-religious. I never got it even as a child being forced to eat the 'body of christ' which I found bizarre and revolting. I was christened a catholic, went to catholic schools and found excuses to give the church a wide berth.

I wanted to ask a question here and hopefully one or two might indulge me.
    I can research and read about it on wiki all day but that does not give me the kind of insight to understand it, it's impact on some of you and what you feel in general about it, or, less importantly, with which
    I need to debate my religious friends, muslim, christian Jewish etc....
    I just watched a debate with Lawrence Krauss & Hamza Tzortzis... Where Lawrence asks Hamza does he believe in Sharia.
    Hamza says 'Which version?'......

Could someone explain what this means, whether it is valid or an obfuscation etc etc?
    Is there a good version of Sharia... is it prone to misinterpretation etc etc?

I'm here to learn and might be asking these kinds of questions here and there so forgive me if I
    seem a little green.
    By all means point to a debate or two if they have already been had (which I'm sure they have).

Hassan has pointed me to a few vids that discuss the infallible (or otherwise) word of the Qur'an and I thank him for that.

Bestest.
     Reply #1 - September 01, 2015, 10:21 AM

i don't know what he meant by 'which version'. He probably meant that god's law is inherently perfect, but humans often get it wrong in interpretation or implementation. Islam is perfect. Muslims are not.
     Reply #2 - September 01, 2015, 12:04 PM

99.9% of "God's" texts are subject to interpretation, unless you're a psycho killer wahabi.

There are indeed various versions of sharia - based on such interpretations. Makes you think if God actually wanted mankind to follow his message, why send it in such a vague way?

In fact, for those afraid to come out of the closet yet (such as myself) it's a good way of making your own interpretations of the rules that you don't really wanna follow.

Reply #3 - September 01, 2015, 02:05 PM

Thanks, folks,

I'll investigate further. I'm weary, as we all are, of 'the mistakes are god's way of showing beauty in fallibility' ...
    'It's his way, miraculous and perfect'  'god moves in mysterious ways' etc etc...
    It's the ultimate catch 22... 'how can a lowly human being understand god's reasoning'....

I wonder if all the nasty stuff was taken out of the Quran... how much would be left and how relevant it would be?
    How many pages would be left.

BTW, some beautiful posts in the 'posts you might have missed' section (sic).... check them out....  Magical, poignant stuff...

Reply #4 - September 18, 2015, 02:58 AM

Hi Unfettered

I'm not exactly a muslim by traditional definition since as a quranist I'm considered a heretic by the majority, but allow me to try answering your question.

There multiple sects within Islam.
    This is the truth, but it's so inconvenient for muslim to admit that they are actually following a sect which all claim to be following God's command, that they would not admit they're following certain sect (unlike what you've seen with the Christians).

Traditionally, based on the doctrines accepted by majority of muslims, there are 4 source of Islamic jurisprudence:
    - Quran
    - Hadith/Sunna
    - Ijma 'Ulama (consensus of those they considered knowledgable)
    - Ijtihad (deciding the rule for new things based on parallel or analogy, e.g. the rule for organ donation, e-commerce, etc.)

Based on the interpretation of those above, there would be a different set of laws implemented on different places.
    Countries like Somalia, Nigeria, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Iran, Uzbekistan, Malaysia, Brunei etc are all claiming of implementing the sharia law, even though they have different interpretations.

Thus I think come the question "which one" when somebody's referring to sharia.

In fact, that's the same reply that I used when debating with someone about sharia implementation Cheesy
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »