Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Sharia

(Read 2655 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Sharia
     OP - August 31, 2015, 10:49 AM

Hi all,
    New here. I've always been non-religious. I never got it even as a child being forced to eat the 'body of christ' which I found bizarre and revolting. I was christened a catholic, went to catholic schools and found excuses to give the church a wide berth.

I wanted to ask a question here and hopefully one or two might indulge me.
    I can research and read about it on wiki all day but that does not give me the kind of insight to understand it, it's impact on some of you and what you feel in general about it, or, less importantly, with which
    I need to debate my religious friends, muslim, christian Jewish etc....
    I just watched a debate with Lawrence Krauss & Hamza Tzortzis... Where Lawrence asks Hamza does he believe in Sharia.
    Hamza says 'Which version?'......

Could someone explain what this means, whether it is valid or an obfuscation etc etc?
    Is there a good version of Sharia... is it prone to misinterpretation etc etc?

I'm here to learn and might be asking these kinds of questions here and there so forgive me if I
    seem a little green.
    By all means point to a debate or two if they have already been had (which I'm sure they have).

Hassan has pointed me to a few vids that discuss the infallible (or otherwise) word of the Qur'an and I thank him for that.

Bestest.
  • Sharia
     Reply #1 - September 01, 2015, 09:20 AM

Shariah is simply the man-made application of Islamic laws and traditions. So, for example, the proper funeral rites to follow is a part of Shariah, so is the business of making food halal. What most people think of Shariah is actually the Hudood penalties (stoning, chopping off hands, etc).

As for 'which version', that could be a reference to the four different schools of Islamic thinking. No idea on that score!
  • Sharia
     Reply #2 - September 03, 2015, 06:42 AM

Thank you.
    I'm looking into it a little more.
    It seems the 'which version' excuse is used when a follower is
    asked to condemn Sharia. Maybe the question should be phrased differently...
    'do you support the version of Sharia that promotes stoning, cutting off of hands,
    killing, etc etc?'. 
    Maybe we should be more specific, and pre-empt the answer. 
  • Sharia
     Reply #3 - September 03, 2015, 02:33 PM

Or simply ask if they support hudood penalties. The thing about Shariah is that it covers ALL aspects of Islamic law. So even something seemingly as innocuous as a funeral has implications, the first and foremost being that women can't attend a burial.

Of course, no muslim I know actually follows that, but it's still valid Shariah 'law'.
  • Sharia
     Reply #4 - September 05, 2015, 07:32 AM

You see, this is what I'm learning about... the blatantly barmy laws that subject women to  exclusion etc on a daily basis,
    which most of the muslims (that you know at least) don't follow..... which would be disastrous in certain climes.
    I guess there's a public 'I follow everything to the book' face and a private'I don't follow this at all' face.

I think this is what happened to Christianity. It got more and more ridiculous as the private face came more into public view.
  • Sharia
     Reply #5 - September 05, 2015, 07:45 AM

In many ways sharia is hard to talk about because it's not codified. In the modern world it just fails about wildly. Theologians not being able to agree if sharia permits shaking hands, eating a big mac, and other ridiculous nonsense.

It's also shaky as what one judge may rule will be with a certain understanding, and another may rule a different way with a different understanding.

There's a good essay on sharia and it's failings here.

http://agnosticmuslimkhutbahs.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/shariah-law.html

In this way a large body of Islamic Law was built up and applied throughout Muslim lands. But as the golden age of Islamic scholarship waxed and waned and the empire began to stagnate, many scholars declared that the "Doors of ijtihad were now closed!" - in other words there was nothing more to add or change to Shari'ah Law. It was just a matter of imitating past scholars and implementing the laws they formulated during the Middle Ages.

This isn't to say that sharia is shades of grey. Take the islamic state for example. The only thing they've done that's actually against the sharia as far as I'm aware was burning the pilot alive in a cage. And that wasn't for the murder, but the way he was murdered, as fire is allah's punishment.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Sharia
     Reply #6 - September 05, 2015, 02:06 PM

In many ways sharia is hard to talk about because it's not codified.

It sort of is, actually. Think of it as the Common Law equivalent to Statutes. However, as you correctly point out:
    It's also shaky as what one judge may rule will be with a certain understanding, and another may rule a different way with a different understanding.

• Sharia
     Reply #7 - September 06, 2015, 01:49 AM

In this day and age can you really say it's codified though? In an actual islamic fantasy state sure, but in real world practise where theologians can't even agree if aftershave is allowed or not, can you really say sharia in the 21st century is codified?

Eh, I dunno, maybe I'm over thinking it.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Sharia
     Reply #8 - September 06, 2015, 07:15 AM

In this day and age can you really say it's codified though? In an actual islamic fantasy state sure, but in real world practise where theologians can't even agree if aftershave is allowed or not, can you really say sharia in the 21st century is codified?

forget 21st century .. this so-called sharia laws were never codified in any century under any Islamic ruler.. Those rules for common man under Islamic Caliph/Islamic kingdoms were/are simply to strictly control people under their kingdoms so they will never oppose Islamic clergy and Islamic rulers ..

what sharia laws? here http://www.islamawareness.net/Shariah/sh_article003.html  are how brain  washed  brainless Islamic fools defend those shitty harsh laws in the name fo allahgod voodo doll.  By the way that link is from this lady 

Ruqaiyyah Waris Maqsood (born 1942) is a British Muslim author, who served as Head of Religious Studies at William Gee High School, Hull, England. Her name was Rosalyn Rushbrook.
    She married poet George Morris Kendrick in 1964 and had a son and daughter, but after his acceptance of Scientology they divorced in 1986. She converted to Islam later that year. In 1990 she married a Pakistani Waris Ali Maqsood who she divorced in 1999 when he married his young cousin in Pakistan, stepping aside to allow the new wife legal status in the UK. Before converting to Islam in 1986, she was a devout Christian  who earned a degree in Christian theology in 1963 at Hull University,  and the post-graduate certificate in education in 1964 with distinction in both theory and practice.

read it all at the link the way they understand/understood  stupid laws from STUPID allah/god book..

what do these stupid so-called laws say and do at the end??

*** Theft is punishable by amputation of the right hand

***  Criticizing or denying any part of the Quran is punishable by death.

***  Criticizing or denying Muhammad or Caliph/king/ruler/dick heads in Islamic world  is punishable with jail terms or  death.

***  Criticizing or denying Allah, the moon god of Islam is punishable by death.

***  A Muslim who becomes a non-Muslim is punishable by death.

***  A non-Muslim who leads a Muslim away from Islam is punishable by death.

***   A non-Muslim man who marries a Muslim woman is punishable by death.

***  A man can marry an infant girl and consummate the marriage when she is 9 years old.

***   Girls' clitoris should be cut
    ***   A woman can have 1 husband, but a man can have up to 4 wives; Muhammad can have more.

***  A man can unilaterally divorce his wife but a woman needs her husband's consent to divorce.

***   A man can beat his wife for insubordination.

***  Testimonies of four male witnesses are required to prove rape against a woman.

***   A woman who has been raped cannot testify in court against her rapist(s).

***   A woman's testimony in court, allowed only in property cases, carries half the weight of a man's.

***  A female heir inherits half of what a male heir inherits.

***  A woman cannot drive a car, as it leads to fitnah (upheaval).

***  A woman cannot speak alone to a man who is not her husband or relative.

***  Meat to be eaten must come from animals that have been sacrificed to Allah - i.e., be Halal.  ;..............

The list goes on and on and on......... and they are laws of allah? laws of  god??  

My foot.. fuck it.. my piss and shit on such god ,, and my piss and shit on those bastards that implements such laws..

..................MOCK THE FOOLS AND MOVE ON ................

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Sharia
     Reply #9 - September 06, 2015, 07:36 AM

• Sharia
     Reply #10 - September 06, 2015, 10:12 AM

Which countries still outlaw apostasy and blasphemy?....Pew Research.

Apostasy and blasphemy may seem to many like artifacts of history. But in dozens of countries around the world, laws against apostasy and blasphemy remain even today.

Earlier this month, the U.S. embassy in Khartoum said it was “deeply disturbed” that Sudan had sentenced a pregnant woman to death for apostasy, the act of abandoning one’s faith — including by converting to another religion. (The woman later gave birth in jail.) And in Pakistan, the country’s most popular TV station was the latest target in a rash of recent government accusations of blasphemy, defined as speech or actions considered to be contemptuous of God or the divine.

A new Pew Research analysis finds that as of 2012, nearly a quarter of the world’s countries and territories (22%) had anti-blasphemy laws or policies, and one-in-ten (11%) had laws or policies penalizing apostasy. The legal punishments for such transgressions vary from fines to death.

We found that laws restricting apostasy and blasphemy are most common in the Middle East and North Africa, where 14 of the 20 countries (70%) criminalize blasphemy and 12 of the 20 countries (60%) criminalize apostasy. While apostasy laws exist in only two other regions of the world – Asia-Pacific and sub-Saharan Africa – blasphemy laws can be found in all regions, including Europe (in 16% of countries) and the Americas (31%).

We counted and categorized reports of the presence of these laws in 2012 as part of an extension of our research on restrictions on religion around the world. Nearly three-in-ten countries in the world (29%) had a high or very high level of government restrictions in 2012 – these countries include about 64% of the world’s population, according to our report.

This research relied on 18 widely cited, publicly available sources from groups such as the U.S. State Department, the United Nations, Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and the International Crisis Group.

Pakistan’s blasphemy laws have their origins in the country’s colonial past, when British colonial rulers first introduced penalties for insulting religious beliefs. These laws remained in effect after Pakistan’s independence in 1947 and have since increased in severity. In 2012 alone, there were more than two dozen blasphemy cases filed in the country.

But Pakistan is not alone. Nine of the 50 countries in the Asia-Pacific region (18%) had blasphemy laws in 2012, and in Europe such laws were found in seven out of 45 nations (16%). In November 2012, the Dutch parliament dissolved its blasphemy law, which was drafted in the 1930s and had not been used for half a century.

In the Americas, 11 out of 35 countries (31%) had blasphemy laws, including the Bahamas, where the publication or sale of blasphemous material can be punished with up to two years imprisonment. The U.S. does not have any federal blasphemy laws, but as of 2012, several U.S. states – including Massachusetts and Michigan – still had anti-blasphemy laws on the books. However, the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution would almost certainly prevent the enforcement of any such law.

In South America, Peru’s federal law does not formally prohibit blasphemy, but local government authorities have enforced penalties for it. In October 2012, a district mayor in Lima closed a public art exhibit that featured a naked statue of Christ after religious groups condemned it as blasphemy. According to the U.S. State Department’s International Religious Freedom Report, representatives of the local art community “expressed concern over censorship and freedom of speech” after the incident.

Blasphemy laws are least common in sub-Saharan Africa (three of 48 countries), according to 2012 data. In April of 2012, anti-slavery activists in Mauritania were charged and imprisoned for blasphemy after publicly burning religious texts to denounce what the activists viewed as support for slavery in Islamic commentary and jurisprudence.

Apostasy laws are less common worldwide – found in 21 countries, in only three regions of the world. Including Sudan, anti-apostasy measures were in effect in more than half the countries in the Middle East-North Africa region as of 2012.

Five of the 50 countries (10%) in the Asia-Pacific region had apostasy laws. For instance, in the Maldives, all citizens are required to be Muslim, and those who convert may lose their citizenship. In sub-Saharan Africa, just four of the 48 countries (8%) have laws prohibiting apostasy. There were no laws against apostasy in any countries in Europe or the Americas in 2012.

STUPID RELIGIONS...STUPID PEOPLE.... STUPID LAWS

talk nonsense in 21st century using stupid religious scriptures,  I will rise an army of spankers on internet  to spank rascals who use silly religious rules that were written some 2000 year ago by some  cave dwellers ,....

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »