Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Upcoming debate between Hamza Tzortis and Peter Thurston aka EssenceofThought

(Read 7354 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Upcoming debate between Hamza Tzortis and Peter Thurston aka EssenceofThought
     OP - August 19, 2015, 08:00 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scKYJZlfvpI

EssenceofThought has been quite a staunch thorn to Hamza's Dawah efforts. He does a good job debunking Hamza's arguments and has a good eye and ear for lies and mistakes by Hamza. The prospect of EoT and Hamza engaging in a discourse is surely an exciting one but do you think nearer the time to the arranged debate , Hamza will deploy a cock-up?

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ' O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
     Reply #1 - August 19, 2015, 08:08 PM

He already has by putting up his fall guy in his place. I doubt the debate will happen. Hamza will back out for one reason or another.
     Reply #2 - August 19, 2015, 08:22 PM

Well if he backs out, EssenceofThought has promised to haunt him over his probable act of leaving the debate and he also has promised to continue making videos vilifying Hamza and iERA.

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ' O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
     Reply #3 - August 19, 2015, 09:50 PM

I think peter made this decision with his ego. A debate is an entertainment show, the debate format is not always the best platform for intellectual arguements to win. Hamza is a very experienced public performer and raconteur, peter has never had a public debate before and he doesn't have any charisma at all and has a monotonous voice.  Hamza is a professional seasoned debater who is far more affable and glib then Peter who always looks miserable and never smiles. I don't think it's wise for Peter to have a public debate with Hamza, he is not equipped with the skills set yet to be a public debater.
     Reply #4 - August 19, 2015, 09:52 PM

I tend to agree with the above.

Debates promote rhetoric over substance. If Hamza were to hit Peter with his gish-gallop style of debating, I'm not sure how Peter would respond.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #5 - August 20, 2015, 01:18 PM

A debate is about public speaking and weaselling around arguments, not about truth. I know this because I'm on my university's debating team. I don't think it's a wise decision to debate Hamza (ESPECIALLY with no debating experience) as he is an amazing public speaker with loads of charisma. Peter seems like more of an introvert that prefers to research matters before discussing them and doesn't seem like he'd be able to weasel around arguments he is unfamiliar with. Hamza has also had this "atheism/humanism vs islam" debate a million times and knows all the standard arguments and responses. If the debate does occur, hopefully the audience will see past Hamza's antics and assess the arguments for their actual value, not how eloquent they are composed.
     Reply #6 - August 20, 2015, 02:37 PM

I do not like debates nor do I expect the audience to follow along well.
     Reply #7 - August 22, 2015, 03:34 PM

Hehe, hilarious of Hamza Tzortzis to say "nothing is going to be dodgy". For a person who built his whole career on dodginess, that's rich.
     Reply #8 - August 22, 2015, 06:01 PM

Hamza is a very experienced public performer and raconteur, peter has never had a public debate before and he doesn't have any charisma at all and has a monotonous voice.

He actually mentioned that himself in another video.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #9 - August 22, 2015, 08:07 PM

Which is why a debate is useless since sophistry can trump formal arguments. More so if the audience is incapable of isolating formal arguments from the sophistry then the audience does not learn of value. They become gullible thus their opinion on the debates becomes worthless.
     Reply #10 - September 04, 2015, 02:10 PM

History repeats itself

1) Mr Hat will puff out his chest and pretend he is offering a debate
    2) He will then try to make debate prerequisites disagreeable
    3) He will then pull out his chest more and say Peter is avoiding
    4) Peter will accept his conditions
    5) Mr Hat will find another way to back out
    6) Peter will call him out for his cowardice
    7) Peter will be labelled a troll

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #11 - September 04, 2015, 10:22 PM

Cheesy

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »