Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Blatant misogyny in Islam is what is making me question it.

(Read 112278 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 18 19 2021 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Blatant misogyny in Islam is what is making me question it.
     Reply #570 - July 02, 2016, 03:39 AM

It is not stoicism. It is rather cognitive dissonance. They cannot confront it while they live it.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #571 - July 02, 2016, 03:07 PM

If you are raised with a certain belief in how things are supposed to be, and everyone around you constantly confirm it, then it will be really hard to think differently.
    You hear the very same Americans who would benefit immensely from a better health care system fight the very idea tooth and claw. Because the have been told over and over again (by the people who make big money on the present disaster) that it will be a horrible communist mayhem to change anything.

Contact with other people who have different ways and views, not to mention education, can open your eyes and mind to the alternatives.
    Totalitarian religions and cults are well aware of this, and tend to demonize outsiders and avoid contact and education.

Here is a nice one:
    If we are in continued association with those who do not believe the same, it can erode our thinking and convictions…  It is one thing to work on a job with others, and quite another matter to immerse oneself in an institution of “learning.”

By a JW governing body member:
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2015/01/26/jehovahs-witness-leader-rants-against-higher-education-saying-itll-lead-to-spiritual-disaster/
     Reply #572 - July 02, 2016, 10:30 PM

Top post Ursus.  Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #573 - July 03, 2016, 05:54 AM

Top post Ursus.  Afro

Thanks.

And I see that you put it in the "Hit"-thread.
    I am honored.
    Smiley
     Reply #574 - July 03, 2016, 11:51 AM

Your welcome. But it's really just what top posts deserve.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #575 - January 05, 2017, 01:16 AM

Opps wrong thread.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #576 - February 27, 2017, 05:50 PM

For me, sexism was a huge reason to leave. But when you come out and ask these questions, about people being unfair towards women, you get told Muslims aren't following the religion properly. So I came to the conclusion nobody was following it properly. But they are. If you are the type of person that has to be above others, and your religion is telling you that purely based on your gender you can basically lord it over the other. For my dad this was perfect. He likes to be in control, and will do things like delegate tasks to the women of the family. You cook and clean. Men? Perfect as you are.

And I never understood why there was such a huge difference between the modesty of men and women. If a woman can't show her legs, why can a man? Why is he allowed to show his arms? You see Muslims couples walking around together in the summer, the man in shorts and t-shirt, and his wife head to toe in black. It's a stark contrast and really shows how the rules are in favour of men. And that's only one part of it.

As a child I would see things happen around me, and I would wonder why our religion allowed men to be above women? Even as a child I knew they had more privilege. Sorry if this was a bit messy, just putting my thoughts out.
     Reply #577 - April 05, 2017, 09:22 AM

For my dad this was perfect. He likes to be in control, and will do things like delegate tasks to the women of the family. You cook and clean. Men? Perfect as you are.

And it's no coincidence that quite a number of Muslim families from various cultures are like that. I'm lucky to have a mum who always stood up for her daughters and made sure that my brothers did an equal share in housechores and that we all got the same education and opportunities. Don't know what would have happened if my dad was the head of the household.

And I never understood why there was such a huge difference between the modesty of men and women. If a woman can't show her legs, why can a man? Why is he allowed to show his arms? You see Muslims couples walking around together in the summer, the man in shorts and t-shirt, and his wife head to toe in black. It's a stark contrast and really shows how the rules are in favour of men. And that's only one part of it.

It's because the view that women in Islam are not the property of men appears to have been formed quite recently. Covering from head to toe and only being allowed to uncover in from of certain males is a sign of ownership. That is why so-called gheerah is encouraged in Islam. A man is supposed to get insanely jealous when another man says a word to his wife or happens to see an uncovered ankle or whatever. Why is that? Because they own us, and other men are not to look at their property.

Mo didn't understand women and thought that we were these simple-minded creatures who only want a husband, children and wealth (kind of like how quite a number of modern-day Muslim men think).  In Heaven women will be happy that their husbands are cheating on them 24/7 because at least they're getting jewels, fine clothing and are beautiful  Roll Eyes
     Reply #578 - April 05, 2017, 09:28 PM

Thank goodness you don't have a say in the matter Smiley

And what I said goes for all human interaction and relationships, not just those of a sexual or romantic character. So "aboloshing sex" won't solve anything. On the contrary, it would be yet another type of control and power over others. Having control over someone's sexuality and procreation. Isn't that what marriage was for, right from the start Roll Eyes

Why does no one like the one most obvious solution to the problem? The argument on sexism and who it effects most becomes moot if there are no genders. People go on and on about needing new and innovative ways to end sexism, that's the most innovative and permanent solution there is! And yet I'm the radical.....  finmad

lol....but srsly, if we want to get away from men seeing women as commodities necessary for their reproductive success and wanting to collect as many as possible to bear their children, that's ultimately the only way to do it. High-risk, high-reward behavior like conquering a village and taking away the women to sire offspring with, or in more modern times, hitting on women while your girlfriend/wife is at home tending your baby, has been selected for and there isn't really a way for men who are too, for lack of a better term, "beta" or "cucked" to challenge those men are genetically selected against and get tasked with rearing the high-risk man's genetic children.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #579 - April 05, 2017, 09:41 PM

BTW that's not me making a values judgment or saying monogamy is impossible; I really don't care what other people choose to do, it's none of my business. I'm just saying those are the selection pressures on the macro level. Statistically, most women will cheat and so will most men. Statistically, the number of people who are raising kids that aren't theirs is pretty high, whether they came into the mother's life before or after the child was born, or like in my family, some of the children were the genetic children of the husband but one wasn't.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #580 - April 06, 2017, 01:11 PM

Do you have anything to back up your claims that most people are unfaithful?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #581 - April 06, 2017, 11:19 PM

I would also be pretty interested in that, as it is not my nature to be unfaithful. I cannot fathom it as a norm.

Reply #582 - April 07, 2017, 01:55 AM

So, the numbers I was using was from memory, and comes from articles such as this one, which suggest that the number is slightly over half. The accuracy of self-reporting of having cheated is notoriously low, but as a general rule, increases by 300-400% if you do the interview anonymously. The more anonymous respondents feel, the higher the number of sexual partners they will report and the higher the number of cheating instances they will report. But because of this, it's very difficult to rule out selection bias (people who are taking the survey either to get it off their conscience or to rant about their previous partners, for example). According to PsychCentral, which attempts to compile psychology research and then break down the jargon for the lay-person, the chance is about 25% over the course of a very long term relationship.

According to this research, however, the cumulative effect over evolutionary history is so significant as to mean that we as humans collectively have twice as many female ancestors as male ancestors:

In a nutshell, we examined the amount of genetic variability on the Y chromosome (which is inherited by males solely from fathers) and mitochondrial DNA (inherited in both sexes solely from the mother). According to population genetic theory, the amount of variation observed among any set of chromosomes surveyed in a population is proportional to two factors, the rate of mutation and the size of the population (in terms of numbers of reproducing individuals). If we factor out differences in the rate of mutation, then any leftover difference in the amount of variation between two samples of chromosomes should be due to differences in the sizes of the populations from which they are sampled. Applying this method, we were able to estimate the relative size of the female and male human populations (from mitochondrial and Y chromosome variation, respectively). We found that the breeding sex ratio is about two females per male.

On average (and over evolutionary time), any given human female has been more likely to reproduce than any given male. Said another way, males have had a higher variance in reproductive success than females. As a consequence, more different females have contributed to the modern gene pool than males. Rather spectacular examples of this phenomenon have been inferred from historical times using genetic data. Asian conquerors (such as Genghis Khan and Giocangga) and their male relatives appear to have made a vastly disproportionate contribution to modern Asian populations. Niall of the Nine Hostages seems to have had a similar effect on the gene pool of the British Isles. These types of events, where one person (or set of related individuals) experiences tremendous reproductive success, can have an effect on the gene pool that lasts for many generations. On the other side of the equation, we have to infer that there are many more males than females who do not successfully reproduce at all.

So on the macro level over our history as a species, we have had a few men who successfully reproduced a lot more often than the rest of all the men. Due to contraceptives, the number may have been reduced in recent times. According to this article, the number of men who are raising children that they believe are theirs but are not biologically theirs is about 1 in 25. According to the US census bureau reporting on the 2010 census, an additional (approximately) 2 million are being raised by adoptive fathers and 4 million are being raised by step-fathers, out of 88 million total children, for a combined total of 7% of children being raised by those two groups.

Edit: wut r numbers?

Reply #583 - April 07, 2017, 03:13 AM

So in the US, about 25%? I know a couple of them. Er, used to know.

Reply #584 - April 07, 2017, 08:05 AM

i think simply most of them even in the west dont see the way out so simply they adapt them self from young age  to accept it or even look for its bright side , sacrifice and heaven promise .

others who grew up in a secular loving home dont really understand the other women suffering and speak out of ignorance or lie out of love to their family

You are educated when you have the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or self-confidence.
     Robert Frost

?Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.?

― Andr? Gide
     Reply #585 - April 25, 2017, 10:54 AM

Misogyny is not the main problem I had with Islam, as I didn’t consider misogyny as a particularly Islamic problem.
       Growing up in Chinese Central Asia, for a long time I saw the world as binary. The selective abortion of female fetuses (which is illegal) among the Chinese is so rampant that the top 3 provinces having a decent birth gender ratio are Tibet, Inner Mongolia, and us. Also the Chinese have a proverb saying a married off daughter is like water spilled outside the house, whereas our Turkic society with its matrilineal remnants have traditionally treated their daughters much better than that. Plus mine is a secular, modernized and somewhat matrilineal family with many of our male relatives being mere portraits on the wall, I just didn’t have that first-hand experience of the horror I heard from the Middle East. And when I did I considered the Islamic doctrines to be the bottom line instead of the upper bound; the Bible isn’t much better than the Quran yet they all say that the west is doing great (typical apologetic I was)

It’s the logical fallibilities that slowly corroded my faith over the years. Why is idol worshipping the greatest of sins? How can jihadists just enslave the unbelievers or why not at least free them once they convert? Did Muhammad even know that the Earth is round, and did he consider the ordeals of high latitude residents in terms of fasting and of Morning Prayer? Why do I have to pray in a language I don’t understand? What’s the point in deliberately wearing boots to avoid washing feet in cleaning (wudu)? And why does Mohammad even care whether I shave my pubic hair?
     Reply #586 - April 25, 2017, 11:13 AM

Why does no one like the one most obvious solution to the problem? The argument on sexism and who it effects most becomes moot if there are no genders. People go on and on about needing new and innovative ways to end sexism, that's the most innovative and permanent solution there is! And yet I'm the radical.....  finmad

lol....but srsly, if we want to get away from men seeing women as commodities necessary for their reproductive success and wanting to collect as many as possible to bear their children, that's ultimately the only way to do it. High-risk, high-reward behavior like conquering a village and taking away the women to sire offspring with, or in more modern times, hitting on women while your girlfriend/wife is at home tending your baby, has been selected for and there isn't really a way for men who are too, for lack of a better term, "beta" or "cucked" to challenge those men are genetically selected against and get tasked with rearing the high-risk man's genetic children.

I feel like I'm missing something here, but what was "one of the most obvious solution to the problem" again? How does "no gender" thing work?

I kind of feel like you put too much importance on genetic ties. I (and from what I read, many orphans and adopted kids) never really had this mushy gushy weird feeling about ZOMG MAH BIRTH MOM/DAD!!! The people I love the most are the people who cared for me, not the womb/sperm donor. I might've borrowed my genetic materials from them, but I'm not just nature, most of what I am is a product of nurture, too, and the people who left their legacies in form of actually caring for me are far more important to me than people who abandoned me. Pretty sure I am more defined by the people who did raise me than those who didn't.

So in the US, about 25%? I know a couple of them. Er, used to know.

That seems too high?
     Reply #587 - April 26, 2017, 12:47 AM

It seems pretty high to me, too, but I didn't socialize much as an adult.

Reply #588 - April 26, 2017, 08:13 AM

I feel like I'm missing something here, but what was "one of the most obvious solution to the problem" again? How does "no gender" thing work?

I am the closest thing there is to an anti-sex activist...I think sexuality is disgusting and should be eliminated entirely, not just confined to marriage or something. There are basically three steps to that process:
    1) Move reproduction outside the human body into some kind of pods,
    2) Use genetic tomfoolery to make the population born from those pods asexual (completely disinterested in sex),
    3) After a few generations of that, make the next cycle/generation either completely hermaphroditic or lacking in any sexual features; this part requires more thought.

I realize that virtually everyone disagrees with me on that idea and that the technology doesn't currently exist to make it a reality if they did agree, but I firmly believe that to be the only way to completely eliminate differences between the sexes and sexual violence (which are actually secondary benefits, in my opinion; the primary goal is to eliminate sexuality).

I kind of feel like you put too much importance on genetic ties. I (and from what I read, many orphans and adopted kids) never really had this mushy gushy weird feeling about ZOMG MAH BIRTH MOM/DAD!!! The people I love the most are the people who cared for me, not the womb/sperm donor. I might've borrowed my genetic materials from them, but I'm not just nature, most of what I am is a product of nurture, too, and the people who left their legacies in form of actually caring for me are far more important to me than people who abandoned me. Pretty sure I am more defined by the people who did raise me than those who didn't.

On the contrary. I think genetics is a very poor way of determining who you should be closest to. I just think that sexuality is revolting and should be eliminated. I have used this analogy before, but it's always worth repeating: "You share more genes with a sea urchin than a banana, but I don't see you flooding banana plantations to make homes for sea urchins."

Reply #589 - April 26, 2017, 12:34 PM

I am the closest thing there is to an anti-sex activist...I think sexuality is disgusting and should be eliminated entirely, not just confined to marriage or something. There are basically three steps to that process:
    1) Move reproduction outside the human body into some kind of pods,
    2) Use genetic tomfoolery to make the population born from those pods asexual (completely disinterested in sex),
    3) After a few generations of that, make the next cycle/generation either completely hermaphroditic or lacking in any sexual features; this part requires more thought.

I realize that virtually everyone disagrees with me on that idea and that the technology doesn't currently exist to make it a reality if they did agree, but I firmly believe that to be the only way to completely eliminate differences between the sexes and sexual violence (which are actually secondary benefits, in my opinion; the primary goal is to eliminate sexuality).

Why is sexuality disgusting? There are asexual people and you are... anti-sexual I guess?

The third step... erm even if everybody becomes a hermaphrodite, doesn't mean that they become asexual...

Removing sexuality is not realistic by any means, even if we had the technology to do it. If anything, having legions of sex-bots (hypersexuality) would be closer to reality than removing sex entirely...

And why would we need to eliminate differences between the sexes?

Sometimes I had wild sexual fantasies about androgynous men or intersex people but... uh why would you want just that?

Even if genders disappear we would still find out shit to hate other people with, like skin color, height, weight, etc. There will always be preferences... And there will always be bullies...
     Reply #590 - April 26, 2017, 01:33 PM

Why is sexuality disgusting? There are asexual people and you are... anti-sexual I guess?

Sexuality is disgusting TO ME. I understand that hardly anyone shares my opinion. I also understand that the amount that most people like sex must be incredibly high to have overcome the tremendous consequences of sexuality that would otherwise have ended the human race, such as STDs and the high maternal mortality rate that plagued the species for thousands of years. In Roman times, the times for which we have the best written records, on average every woman who reached the age of 15 had to have 5 live births within her lifetime to maintain the population at the replacement rate because most of them would not live to see their 15th birthdays. So I can extrapolate from that information that the desire for sex must be incredibly high to have overcome those odds, even if I personally don't experience that drive.

The third step... erm even if everybody becomes a hermaphrodite, doesn't mean that they become asexual...

That's why I made "making the population asexual" step 2. After a few generations of everyone being asexual, I think they'd be able to come to a natural consensus that keeping the vestigial gender traits isn't necessary anymore.

Removing sexuality is not realistic by any means, even if we had the technology to do it. If anything, having legions of sex-bots (hypersexuality) would be closer to reality than removing sex entirely...

I understand that. It's just my idea of how to engineer a more desirable society.

And why would we need to eliminate differences between the sexes?

We don't. Like I said, it's a by-product of achieving my goals, not a goal in and of itself.

Sometimes I had wild sexual fantasies about androgynous men or intersex people but... uh why would you want just that?

I would say you put the cart before the horse but you hitched the cart to the wrong horse and I'm not even sure it's a horse. It's not that I want to adjust what everyone views as sexually attractive, it's that I don't want them to be driven by sexual attraction at all. It's not that I want to engineer them to find something attractive that is different from what they currently see as attractive, it's that I want to engineer them to not feel any kind of sexual attraction whatsoever. Just none at all. Nothing. Not towards people who look one way, not towards people who look a different way, not towards anyone. And then, once they don't feel any kind of sexuality, just adjust it so they can provide any genetic information necessary for creating the next generation. So that at that point it doesn't matter anymore whether they're providing male or female genetic components, they're just providing genetic material full stop.

Even if genders disappear we would still find out shit to hate other people with, like skin color, height, weight, etc. There will always be preferences... And there will always be bullies...

Yes. The social benefits of removing gender from consideration when it comes to how people interact is simply a by-product of removing sexuality and genders, not the goal. The goal is to eliminate sexuality and the entire concept of sexual reproduction by making it vestigial, a throwback to an earlier and more primitive form of sustaining populations. To make sexuality a thing of the past, something foreign, alien. And like I have repeatedly said, I understand that virtually no one sees this as desirable. It's just my personal preference for how to make the world a better place. Everyone has their own personal preference for how to make the world a better place and none of them are fully achievable or fully desirable. It's just that mine happens to be completely contrary to the most primitive biological drives that have been ingrained within our species by millions of years of evolution. People like me are selected out of the population by evolution after one generation due to our failure to reproduce, which means that the number of people who will agree with me about this topic at any given time is extremely low.

Reply #591 - April 27, 2017, 10:52 PM

wow, fascinating.......as spock would say.

Your post immediately reminded me of the director of hatcheries in Huxley's brave new world. The bit I liked about it was when a plane goes down and they all celebrate. they didn't mourn death. they were free of grief. emotions can be so painful and i'm scared of losing people.

In your world, would we still have emotions?
     Reply #592 - April 28, 2017, 01:48 AM

On the contrary. I think genetics is a very poor way of determining who you should be closest to. I just think that sexuality is revolting and should be eliminated. I have used this analogy before, but it's always worth repeating: "You share more genes with a sea urchin than a banana, but I don't see you flooding banana plantations to make homes for sea urchins."

This analogy just shows an extremely poor understanding of all of genetics, mathematics, and strategy.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #593 - April 28, 2017, 02:53 AM

In your world, would we still have emotions?

Yes...just not sexuality. I've contemplated the pros and cons of removing emotions, but I don't think it's beneficial. I think that observations of psychopaths demonstrate that severing the link between the emotional consequences of one's actions and the actions themselves causes reckless and damaging behaviors, and instead of limiting emotions, we should focus on encouraging philosophies of greater benefit to more people.

This analogy just shows an extremely poor understanding of all of genetics, mathematics, and strategy.

Wouldn't surprise me. I'm almost entirely self-taught on those subjects. I know enough to recognize the dangers of using simple philosophical thinking to try to deduce the nature of the world; it leads to such wonderful theories as the four humours. So I can recognize the dangers of being almost entirely self-taught with regards to subjects like this. What the analogy is trying to express is that just because I share genes with someone doesn't mean I should care about them more than another person. I share more genes with my mom than with you, but I want my mom to die in a fire and don't hate you.

Reply #594 - April 28, 2017, 05:17 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean to be particularly mean, or overly terse. I don't even disagree with your overall premise that you don't need to be closer to those you're biologically more related with.

The analogy is particularly egregious because group behaviors for natural selection of genes don't really work in the way you're implying of organisms forming these sorts of alliances based on how many genes they share. The vast majority of the genetic code is junk anyway, and this applies even for those areas of the code which have been conserved over the time scales of life's evolution. It just goes to show ultimately that everything that we consider to be life, including human life serves the code, not the other way around. The more illustrative way to frame it is in terms of what is different between two organisms, because genes ultimately evolve to copy themselves, not necessarily something arbitrarily related to itself. And you'll then see how fricking selfish and parochial the whole game is. Because of how sex works your first cousin only has a quarter of the similarity to you that a sibling does. Essentially, according to the brute mathematics of your genes, you'd be indifferent at the prospect of saving the life of one of your siblings or four first cousins. The wider you spread out in terms of relations, the more extreme this effect will appear to be. So yeah, not even bearing in mind that I'm pretty sure bananas and sea urchins have diverged quite unrecognizably from whatever common ancestor we might have had, it shouldn't come as a surprise that our genes would be pretty indifferent about the fate of either bananas or sea urchins.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #595 - April 29, 2017, 04:22 PM

asbie .....asbie .....asbie .....asbie .....asbie .....  what is going on  here??  

1).  The analogy is particularly egregious because group behaviors for natural selection of genes don't really work in the way you're implying of organisms forming these sorts of alliances based on how many genes they share.

2).  The vast majority of the genetic code is junk anyway, and this applies even for those areas of the code which have been conserved over the time scales of life's evolution.

3).It just goes to show ultimately that everything that we consider to be life, including human life serves the code, not the other way around. The more illustrative way to frame it is in terms of what is different between two organisms, because genes ultimately evolve to copy themselves, not necessarily something arbitrarily related to itself.  ......

well whatever but that sounds good to me  So let me go back to the folder topic  "Blatant misogyny in Islam is what is making me question it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlpJ14SH7hg

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #596 - April 29, 2017, 11:22 PM

Yes...just not sexuality. I've contemplated the pros and cons of removing emotions, but I don't think it's beneficial. I think that observations of psychopaths demonstrate that severing the link between the emotional consequences of one's actions and the actions themselves causes reckless and damaging behaviors, and instead of limiting emotions, we should focus on encouraging philosophies of greater benefit to more people.

I think its an interesting idea. no sexuality - no pornography - no pedos.

But think a new type of schooling may be a more realistic way to go. schools should be more than just about remembering historical dates and wars and maths. we need to  nurture our kids. get them to respect one another. get them to understand how to bring up a child. when I was at school so many girls were pregnant by the time they were 14 one girl in my class was pregnant at 12. it was crazy. my school was absolutely rubbish.
     Reply #597 - April 29, 2017, 11:37 PM

I think there is actually a Danish model for that sort of education. They start it in kindergarten.

Reply #598 - April 30, 2017, 02:08 AM

asbie .....asbie .....asbie .....asbie .....asbie .....  what is going on  here??  well whatever but that sounds good to me

Hey, you're back!  grin12

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #599 - April 30, 2017, 05:50 AM

I get the impression that teen pregnancies as sn epidemic happen mostly in societies where sex education is non-existant/lacking, in combination with conservatice ideas about purity and sex before marriage. However, albeit sharing conservative values, it does not practice the same type of social control that a society based on those values would... that's why the US is such a paradox. Where you basically find young people who at one point had a chastity ring or whatever it's called but still end up pregnant at 15...

Where you have a celeb who dresses provocatively and sells "sex" for a living, but sits on a talk show describing how she decided to eventually wait for sex until marrige with her vurrent husband because "it felt wrong as a Christian".

What scares me a lot is the enormous cultural differences between, for example, the US and Nordic country. Or even the more conservative countries in Europe who even practice/practiced a form of honour culture at one point (and still does). I really can't relate to a lot of things that seems normal in the US. Like how in the world could there ever be a homophobe politician, in Sweden that would be political and social suicide Grin

Once you start mixing concervative (often sexist/mysogonyst) values but with a "liberal" life style without all the traditional social control, things get ugly for everyone.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Previous page 1 ... 18 19 2021 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »