Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Maccabees

(Read 2496 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Maccabees
     OP - August 08, 2015, 11:14 AM

Review of Sylvie Honigman, Tales of High Priests and Taxes: The Books of the Maccabees and the Judean Rebellion against Antiochos IV

http://www.bmcreview.org/2015/08/20150807.html
  • Maccabees
     Reply #1 - August 08, 2015, 11:57 AM

I was reading 1 Maccabees for my paper on homosexuality, just to check if it said anything (coded or directly) about homosexuality (since as we all know, the Greeks liked to bum each other), and it didn't say anything about homosexuality but it did say this: 1 Mac. 2:46 "And what children soever they found within the coast of Israel uncircumcised, those they circumcised valiantly." -- Just how does one perform a circumcision "valiantly", exactly?

Also, it was pretty clear as I was reading it that whoever wrote it really intended for it to be a part of the Bible. They used the same sort of language as the Bible authors like in 1 & 2 Kings, 1 & 2 Chronicles, and 1 & 2 Samuel, although it was also pretty clear that it was strained and wasn't their "modern" language anymore. It was like they were trying to write it to be a continuation of the kind of books that the aforementioned Kings, Chronicles, and Samuel were, a documentation of the lives of (sometimes mythical) kings and their (sometimes mythical) exploits.

But it also was at a bit of a disadvantage because it was written relatively contemporaneously, and therefore it was harder to make up big fancy miracles and overstate military victories (like, the total number of people that the books of Samuel, Kings, and Chronicles say died in battle at the hands of the Israelite kings or through direct acts of God probably exceeds the entire world population of the time they were set in). The Greeks were not a distant memory of an ancient people of whom all that remained was myth when 1 Maccabees was written, so it was really hard to say something like "and he put them all to the sword, from the oldest to the youngest, every one that pissed against the wall, from the king even to the son of the slave-woman; he left not one of them alive, and thus was fulfilled the word of the Lord spoken by the prophet X, that he would bring destruction on them for the sin of Y." And that kind of blowing everything out of proportion is what makes the Bible texts cool, really.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »