Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Brooding

(Read 3342 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Brooding
     OP - July 28, 2015, 04:22 AM

I would rather be dreaming. Today, one of my mom’s friends came over, and she and my mother and my sister-in-law had a conversation about how women should dress. My mother and her friend came to the conclusion that girls should be taught to wear the hijab when they reach the age of 9, when they become adults according to Islam. My mom’s friend said that the way a girl wears the hijab should be left up to her, but with guidance from the parents. My mother has a more rigid idea of what hijab should be, and said if force was necessary, then so be it. She’s a fundamentalist. What they ultimately thought was that a woman should dress a lot more modestly once she is married.

I remained silent on the matter, knowing that my opinions would not be welcome, or heard.

The conversation was driving me mad, I got up and pretended to go to the bathroom but I actually went to read a little bit of 1984. I’m slowly making my way through the novel, as I tend to stop and think hard about what I read every few pages. It was the first sex scene. In the book, there’s a group of women called the Anti-Sex League. They’re supposed to be completely pure and lustless. One of the women, Julia, plays the part really well, but she has had sex with scores of men. In the scene, she swiftly removed her clothes and made love to the main character, Winston, and he called it a political act.

It is so jarring to live out one reality but believe in a different one. While I was listening to the stupid discussion between these women, I wondered why they didn’t question the reasons behind Islam’s enforcing of the hijab on young girls. I think we have all been ingrained with the idea that there is something wrong and shameful about showing our bodies. That’s why I think the hardest part of “coming out” for me will be taking off my hijab. If I can even bring myself to do it. I hate the fact that I must go out every day representing an ideology that I hate. But I am comfortable in it. I even like wearing it. And I create different ways of wearing it to express my personality. I’ve even made ways of wearing it that transgress against what’s obligatory.

But taking it off? I have thought long and hard about it many nights. The thing that scares me the most is the backlash from my family and the Muslim community here.

But I think this would be the greatest political act of my life. I dream of it. And I am brooding about the implications of my actions every second. What am I saying to the world when I go out wearing the hijab? I don’t feel oppressed and I certainly don’t want to be seen that way, but deep down I know this is not a good way to live my life. I don’t like feeling ashamed when someone points out that a few stray strands of my hair are sticking out, or that my sleeves are not long enough to cover my wrists, or when my mother tells me my clothes are too tight or to take off my makeup.

There are so many things I would love to do with my body that I have been forbidden from. I want to be honest in this blog, so I have to ask the question: how could I ever find pleasure in sex outside of marriage and not be filled with anxiety and fear?

This is what it really comes down to: the containment of Muslim women’s sexuality. I don’t feel like a human being at all because my family has raised me this way. I am meant to please my future husband with my body, but I never want a husband, and I want to take control of my own sexuality one day. But I don’t know if I can ever bring myself to do it.

"Nothing lasts forever. Even the stars die."

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
  • Brooding
     Reply #1 - July 28, 2015, 06:18 AM

Hi Aqua

You write well and clearly, and I've enjoyed reading your first post Smiley

You have ambitions that are reasonable and only fair to you, and they do seem realistic. In my opinion, education or a job can often be the key to independence. Are either of those a possibility for you?

Hi
  • Brooding
     Reply #2 - July 28, 2015, 10:15 AM

Staying mum while listening to an infuriating conversation is the worst.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Brooding
     Reply #3 - July 28, 2015, 03:18 PM

Musivore, I'm about to complete my bachelors degree and I just got a part time job.

Asbie, it really is

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
  • Brooding
     Reply #4 - July 28, 2015, 03:33 PM

Musivore, I'm about to complete my bachelors degree and I just got a part time job.

Asbie, it really is

Aqua after completing your bachelors degree make it full time work and  join in some  part time Masters program that is relevant for you..

then you can teach every one around you and even you can say ............. shuddduppp.....

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Brooding
     Reply #5 - July 28, 2015, 04:28 PM

Hahaha. I really want to do a masters program either in cultural studies or creative writing. I just need some time off to build up my employability and save some money. Also, really, really, really looking forward to spending two weeks in London by myself, hopefully next summer.

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
  • Brooding
     Reply #6 - July 29, 2015, 02:55 AM

In regards to your question about sex and marriage, it has to do with your level of comfort.
    If you feel that is from religious conditioning, then this will come with time. Conditioning loosens with time spent away from the source of the conditioning/shame. Doing things that are contrary to the conditioning but lesser in scale will ease the grip of shame on acts greater in scale. Like eating non-halal, for instance, or removing hijab, as you said. Doing it in degrees.
    If you are still anxious regarding sex, there are many ways to ease anxiety. Therapy, medication, techniques with the body.
    Often being with someone you trust completely will do that on it's own.
    Many women view being anxious over the carnal act with someone as a sign that they are not comfortable enough with that person to engage in the act at all.
    You might also decide that marriage and commitment eases your anxiety.
    There is nothing wrong with that. No one way of having a relationship is the right way. You will find what fits for you when you are free to do so.
    You will know more at the right time. Trust yourself. Trust yourself even more when you are free.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Brooding
     Reply #7 - July 29, 2015, 06:49 PM

In regards to your question about sex and marriage, it has to do with your level of comfort.
    If you feel that is from religious conditioning, then this will come with time. Conditioning loosens with time spent away from the source of the conditioning/shame. Doing things that are contrary to the conditioning but lesser in scale will ease the grip of shame on acts greater in scale. Like eating non-halal, for instance, or removing hijab, as you said. Doing it in degrees.
    If you are still anxious regarding sex, there are many ways to ease anxiety. Therapy, medication, techniques with the body.
    Often being with someone you trust completely will do that on it's own.
    Many women view being anxious over the carnal act with someone as a sign that they are not comfortable enough with that person to engage in the act at all.
    You might also decide that marriage and commitment eases your anxiety.
    There is nothing wrong with that. No one way of having a relationship is the right way. You will find what fits for you when you are free to do so.
    You will know more at the right time. Trust yourself. Trust yourself even more when you are free.

I wish I could give 100 likes for this post.

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
  • Brooding
     Reply #8 - July 30, 2015, 01:39 AM

You just did! And thank you. Really the best thing you can do for everything is to just relax. Ninety-five percent of what we fear never actually comes to pass. That is a lot of worrying over possible futures! Just tweak the path you are on, when you can, and flow with it.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »