Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Turkey: At least 28 killed in suicide bombing in Suruc

(Read 31895 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 4 5 67 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Turkey: At least 28 killed in suicide bombing in Suruc
     Reply #150 - November 23, 2015, 11:33 PM

I did wonder myself why the Ankara bombing didn't get more attention.

https://zeynepyurekli.wordpress.com/2015/11/15/ankara-beirut-paris-why-do-european-lives-matter-more/
    Quote from: Zeynep Yurekli
    Ankara, Beirut, Paris: why do European lives matter more?

Gloomy day. Late at night in unusually windy Oxford as if to add eeriness to the gloom on purpose, way too late for my tired brain, which however is too busy to let me go to sleep, I am trying to make sense of the news. As if any sense can be made of over a hundred people killed while enjoying a Friday night out in Paris in retaliation for bombs thrown into the distant land called Syria.

So distant is that part of the world to the average European, and unfortunately to many who were blessed with an education well above the average, that when two suicide bombers blew themselves up in Ankara last month, leaving over another hundred people dead and their compatriots like myself devastated and sleepless for many nights, hardly anything seems to have moved in English, French or German souls. Of all my colleagues in Oxford, I am grateful to two for asking whether my husband, who every one of them knows is in Ankara, was fine. Not a word of sympathy from any of the others. Most of them earn their living through historical research and teaching on the Islamic world at an institution that prides itself on being the country’s best in this field. I wondered, at the time, whether it was because the history we teach is full of bloodshed that they acted as if nothing significant had happened on 10 October? I even wondered further with vague pity whether they had become so immersed in their work that they had turned into research and teaching machines incapable of feelings for things beyond their personal lives.  Now I realise in bitter relief as, for all the wrong reasons, the French get the attention that we and the Lebanese have been denied recently, that this was not because my colleagues do not have heart and soul. The problem must be that the heart and soul they have is biased and conditioned by media channels that decide what is important and what is not. The unbalanced approach of British media – and I’m sure much of the rest of European media – to the recent atrocities in Ankara, Beirut and Paris is a reflection of deeply ingrained assumptions that European lives matter more. This is a horrible thing that I believe every educated European should contemplate and try to remedy. That is, if humanity is to have a relatively peaceful future.

I write this as a naturalised European as much as a born Middle Easterner – a citizen of a country so divided that even officers highest up in the government ranks failed to express solidarity with the victims of the Ankara attack and social media users went as far as to suggest that the victims, attacked during a peace rally organised in protest after the government reignited war with the Kurds, found what they deserved. So strong is the hatred that divides our society in that distant land. If anything good will ever come out of all this mayhem, it will be the acknowledgement that all lives matter the same, and it looks like we can only count on Europe for making this happen.

Reply #151 - November 24, 2015, 04:35 AM

I think the above is too simple. We naturally react more when it's closer to home. Most Brits I think would react more strongly if they saw Big Ben in flames than if they saw the White House in flames, and I'm sure the reverse is true for Americans.

Likewise I'd be more panicked if my house was on fire than I would be if it was a house across the street. There's also ties. We're concerned for those we feel connected to, lands we feel connections with, and most Europeans simply don't have connections with the middle east. Is this apathy? Yes, it is. But it's also very human. It's not that European blood is worth more or less than any other blood, it's that ultimately we still have a certain tribal mentality, and we prioritize our own tribe, whatever that may be. Family first and all that.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #152 - November 24, 2015, 12:41 PM

Turkey shoots down Russian fighter jet: http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/nov/24/russian-jet-downed-by-turkish-planes-near-syrian-border-live-updates
     Reply #153 - November 24, 2015, 12:51 PM

If I were Turkey, I'd be losing sleep right now.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #154 - November 24, 2015, 01:01 PM

In a March 2015 report the European Leadership Network detailed nearly 70 ‘encounters’ in which Russian military aircraft have come close to Nato armed forces or civilian aircraft. It classified three incidents as ‘high risk’, and 13 as ‘serious’.

http://www.europeanleadershipnetwork.org/russia--west-dangerous-brinkmanship-continues-_2529.html

Reply #155 - November 24, 2015, 01:07 PM

Putin warns Turkey of “significant consequences”.

This event is beyond the normal framework of fighting against terrorism. Of course our military is doing heroic work against terrorism... But the loss today is a stab in the back, carried out by the accomplices of terrorists. I can’t describe it in any other way. Our aircraft was downed over the territory of Syria, using air-to-air missile from a Turkish F-16. It fell on the Syrian territory 4km from Turkey.

Neither our pilots nor our jet threatened the territory of Turkey. This is obvious. They are fighting terrorists in the northern areas around Latakia, where militants are located, mainly people who originated in Russia, and they were pursuing their direct duty, to make sure these people do not return to Russia. These are people who are clearly international terrorists.

Taking into account that we signed an agreement on deconflicting with the US, and as we know Turkey was among the ones that has joined the US coalition. Since Isis has such huge resources of hundreds of millions and billions of dollars coming from illicit oil sales, and they are protected by the armed forces of other states, then it’s clear why they are so brazen, why they are killing people, why they are carrying out terrorist attacks throughout the world including in the heart of Europe.

We will analyse everything, and today’s tragic event will have significant consequences, including for Russia-Turkish relations. We have always treated Turkey as a friendly state. I don’t know who was interested in what happened today, certainly not us. And instead of immediately getting in contact with us, as far as we know, the Turkish side immediately turned to their partners from Nato to discuss this incident, as if we shot down their plane and not they ours.

Reply #156 - November 24, 2015, 01:21 PM

Apparently footage of the plane going down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-oHVEjIXBU

Reply #157 - November 29, 2015, 03:46 PM

Kurdish lawyer and human rights activist Tahir Elci was assassinated at a press conference yesterday.

http://www.channel4.com/news/tahir-elci-kurdish-lawyer-speaks-of-death-threats

Turkey is trying to spin this as a PKK attack on the police.
     Reply #158 - November 29, 2015, 04:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lVZkf6Uzl4
    RIP Tahir Elci:         Tahir Elci  speaks on the death threats

Turkan Elci after her husband, Tahir Elci, an outspoken human rights lawyer, was killed on Saturday in the Sur District.

People gathered outside a hospital morgue after gunmen killed Mr. Elci during a news conference in Turkey's volatile southeast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0lEaA2dNow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSqUOBXU8sU

The Turkey with Chicken head as Prime Minister Playing Islamic politics .. and if no one interferes,  and neglects the fire that this fool ERDOGAN is playing  then things will go bad to worse.,   if not this years  it will be next year..     ,

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #159 - November 29, 2015, 04:59 PM

#TahirElci hashtag on twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/TahirElci?src=hash
     Reply #160 - November 29, 2015, 09:05 PM

Mourners at funeral of Kurdish lawyer cast doubt over justice

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/29/us-turkey-kurds-lawyer-idUSKBN0TI0HB20151129#8z3jgHErMskZ4ffi.97
     Reply #161 - November 29, 2015, 09:08 PM

On ‘bad writing’, politics and killing a Kurd…

https://www.opendemocracy.net/umut-ozkirimli/on-bad-writing-politics-and-killing-kurd
     Reply #162 - December 02, 2015, 08:32 AM

Turkish court 'orders Gollum study' in Erdogan case:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34979249

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
     Reply #163 - December 05, 2015, 11:57 AM

Iraq asks Turkey to withdraw troops from Iraqi territory: http://pmo.iq/pme/press2015en/5-12-20151en.htm
     Reply #164 - December 05, 2015, 11:40 PM

About time. Maybe they could ask for the bombing of Qandil to stop, too.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #165 - December 07, 2015, 08:20 AM

Erdogan’s dreams of empire are perilous for Turkey.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/06/erdogan-turkey-russia-syria-foreign-policy
     Reply #166 - December 07, 2015, 10:37 AM

That Turkey is infected by the Virus  "bedouin baboonism".. he   thinks about Ottoman Caliphate and acting like Caliph of  Turkey dreaming about spreading his caliphate across the globe.... these pictures are the proof of that fools baboonism

Reply #167 - December 07, 2015, 11:36 AM

Turkish journalists charged over claim that secret services armed Syrian rebels:
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/27/turkish-journalists-charged-over-claim-that-secret-services-armed-syrian-rebels

From what I read elsewhere the arms convoy was for Islamist groups.
     Reply #168 - December 13, 2015, 04:05 AM

Baghdad Protest Against Turkey Reveals Iraqi Divisions   says news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pks_JmymXc8

BAGHDAD — Thousands of Shiite militiamen and supporters rallied on Saturday and demanded that Turkish troops immediately withdraw from Iraqi territory, a show of strength by the country's powerful militia groups and the Shiite political rivals of Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi.

Militiamen in fatigues, supporters and onlookers gathered in Baghdad's Tahrir Square, chanting, "No to occupation, no to Turkey." Some young men burned Turkish flags. Former Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, who is the current Prime Minister's fiercest rival, walked through the square and was mobbed by supporters who snapped photos and video on their phones.

Turkey has had troops near the Islamic State-held city of Mosul in northern Iraq since last year but the arrival of additional troops last week has sparked an uproar in the country. Ankara subsequently halted new deployments.

Hadi al-Amiri, the leader of the powerful Badr Brigade, a Shiite militia, called for the troops to leave, drawing cheers and chants.

"This is a clear message that the Iraqi politicians and the people of Iraq are against this intrusion into the sovereignty of Iraq," said Saad al-Muttalibi, an Iraqi lawmaker and close Maliki ally.

He said, however, the demonstration was not meant to be a challenge to Abadi's handling of the crisis. "We support the processes, but we think the people will be heard in such important events," he said.

Hussein Ali, a 40-year-old Baghdad businessman, said troops can't enter another country without the agreement of its government.

"Even if they had the agreement of the Kurdish (regional government), that doesn't count. It's a violation," he said.

well that is the news.....I guess ErdoGOON  wants to capture Oil from Syria and Iraq and rule over the lands as Caliph. Well AMRIKA invaded Iraq and gave it to VULTURES on a silver platter.

Reply #169 - December 17, 2015, 01:25 PM

Putin on Turkey:

There was a creeping Islamisation of Turkey that would have Ataturk rolling in his grave
     Reply #170 - January 01, 2016, 04:18 PM

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/01/turkish-president-recep-tayyip-erdogan-hitlers-germany-example-effective-government
    Turkey’s president has been pushing for some time for a new presidential system to govern the country, sparring with critics who accuse him of attempting a power grab.

Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s latest comments in favour of greater executive powers are unlikely to help him bring those critics round. On Friday he was quoted by Turkish media as citing a striking example of an effective presidential system – Germany under Adolf Hitler.

Asked on his return from a visit to Saudi Arabia whether an executive presidential system was possible while maintaining the unitary structure of the state, he said: “There are already examples in the world. You can see it when you look at Hitler’s Germany...."

Video: http://www.todayszaman.com/national_erdogan-says-hitlers-germany-an-example-of-presidential-system-with-unitary-state_408487.html
     Reply #171 - January 01, 2016, 08:14 PM

That is not surprising of him. But it seems an odd miscalculation for him to say it in public.

Reply #172 - January 01, 2016, 09:20 PM

He uses an example of effective government by a man that usurped the government he was part of. Also Hitler's government was one of the worse in history. All he did was reinvent feudalism in which access to the leader produce results while those without access were ineffective. In the end he wants to be dictator, nothing more, nothing less.
     Reply #173 - January 02, 2016, 12:20 AM

Yeah, we all knew it, but I didn´t think he would outright admit it like that.

Reply #174 - January 02, 2016, 12:37 AM

Blog post from Zeynep Yurekli

Of joy and sorrow in Turkey: https://zeynepyurekli.wordpress.com/2015/12/30/of-joy-and-sorrow-in-turkey/
     Reply #175 - January 15, 2016, 05:30 PM

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/14/turkish-prosecutors-investigate-academics-criticised-erdogan-petition
    Turkey has launched an investigation into academics who signed a petition criticising the military’s crackdown on Kurdish rebels in the south-east that angered President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

More than 1,200 academics from 90 Turkish universities calling themselves “Academicians for Peace”, as well as foreign scholars, signed the petition last week calling for an end to the months-long violence.

Entitled “We won’t be a party to this crime”, the petition urged Ankara to “abandon its deliberate massacre and deportation of Kurdish and other peoples in the region”.

It was signed by dozens of foreign luminaries and intellectuals, among them the US academic Noam Chomsky and the Slovenian philosopher Slavoj Žižek.

Istanbul prosecutors launched the investigation, with the Turkish academics facing accusations ranging from “terrorist propaganda” and “inciting people to hatred, violence and breaking the law” to “insulting Turkish institutions and the Turkish Republic,” the official Anatolia news agency said.

The case has been taken up by Turkish federal prosecutors in Istanbul, with all 1,128 Turkish signatories of the petition under investigation, the Doğan news agency said.

If convicted, they could face between one and five years in prison.
    In response to the petition, Erdoğan had fired off an angry tirade against “those so-called intellectuals” accusing them of “treason” and being the “fifth columns” of foreign powers, sympathising with terrorists and bent on undermining Turkey’s national security.

In a televised speech to Turkish ambassadors in Ankara, Erdoğan invited Chomsky and other academics to visit the area to see “the true picture”.

Referring to operations of the Kurdish separatists in the PKK, Erdoğan added: “We are ready to tell them what is happening in the south-east. They should see with their eyes whether the problem is a violation by the state or the hijacking of our citizens’ rights and freedoms by the terrorist organisation.”

Chomsky hit back at Erdoğan yesterday, rejecting the invitation.

In an email to the Guardian, he said: “If I decide to go to Turkey, it will not be on his invitation, but as frequently before at the invitation of the many courageous dissidents, including Kurds who have been under severe attack for many years.”

The open letter to Erdoğan, which was released last month, said: “We demand the state to abandon its deliberate massacre and deportation of Kurdish and other peoples in the region. We also demand the state to lift the curfew, punish those who are responsible for human rights violations, and compensate those citizens who have experienced material and psychological damage. For this purpose we demand that independent national and international observers to be given access to the region and that they be allowed to monitor and report on the incidents.

“We, as academics and researchers working on and/or in Turkey, declare that we will not be a party to this massacre by remaining silent and demand an immediate end to the violence perpetrated by the state.”

Reply #176 - February 15, 2016, 06:02 PM

http://www.economist.com/news/special-report/21689877-mr-erdogans-commitment-democracy-seems-be-fading-getting-train?fsrc=scn/tw/te/pe/ed/gettingoffthetrain
    Early in his career Mr Erdogan made a telling remark he was later to regret. Democracy is like a train, he said; you get off once you have reached your destination. Now many of his party’s critics fear that Turkey’s president may be getting close to that goal.

Reply #177 - February 15, 2016, 09:09 PM

Democracy is like a train, he said; you get off once you have reached your destination. Now many of his party’s critics fear that Turkey’s president may be getting close to that goal.

well it  could become Similar to Democracy in Iran except instead of shia imam selecting candidates list on " WHO CAN CONTTEST ELECTIONS"  here a sunni mullah could select the list  of candidates ...

Reply #178 - February 18, 2016, 10:46 PM

In Turkey, the regime slides from soft to hard totalitarianism
     Reply #179 - February 22, 2016, 11:37 AM

Did EU meddle with Turkish elections?
  • Previous page 1 ... 4 5 67 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »