Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hello from an indonesian in Netherlands

(Read 2614 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hello from an indonesian in Netherlands
     OP - July 12, 2015, 08:42 AM

Hi all,

Great to finally found this place. I'm an Indonesian ex-muslim who resides in The Netherlands for more than 5 years now. As introduction I'd like to share a bit of my background. I've been questioning and finally left Islam since I was still living in Indonesia but I can only be open about it only when I left the country. Surprisingly, I met more Indonesians who also left Islam in this country.

On the other hand, we have similar problem. We cannot be open about it to our parents and family. For example, every time I went back to Indonesia my mother was already suspicious and questioning about my religiosity. At that time, I tried to be honest with some expectation that she will be very open about it. But as suspected, she bursted to tears and asked me to withdraw things that I just said and ask for forgiveness to Allah. She practically then blamed herself so badly for being failed as parent and I'm really afraid this can stress her out.

Although I've tried to explain her that this is purely my own choice, discussing this matter with her is a dead end. My mother - like most every parents in Indonesia - is a simple person. Her life is her house, her village and the mosque. Having an atheist son, is something that will rock the balance of her life. I know that being open as an atheist for me is easy. My friends (also Indonesian ones) are basically okay with it and we can be tolerated to each other as if nothing changed. But for her, it is different. I cannot imagine what she has to go through especially she's the one who's still living there and facing directly the pressure from the society and our big family.

To comfort her, I told her that I will try again to be a good muslim. As a result, every Ramadan she's always asked whether I'm fasting or not, how's the Eid in Europe, etc... and there I go, I lied *sigh

I heard similar stories from Indonesian people here who left Islam. We're lucky enough we're not living there anymore so that we don't have to face social pressure on daily basis. But yet, we can't be really ourselves when it comes to our families. Some of us are tired of lying and must face conflict with our parents. Things got even worse since unfortunately that majority of the people especially from the western part are now more moving toward to stricter Islam. I'm also tired of lying to my mother, but she's not getting any younger and afraid that she will be stressed out and sick because of this. I think I have to lie forever to her, if this is the best for everyone.

So that's it guys, I'd love to hear Hi and Hallo from everyone here as well. I just browsed around the forum and I feel so sorry for others who're facing even more difficult situations than me. Hope life will take you to better solutions.

Cheers,

Richard.

Reply #1 - July 12, 2015, 09:20 AM

Welcome to the forum Richard and thanks for sharing your story with us  Smiley

It is good to know that you have managed to find more Indonesians like yourself in the Netherlands, at least you can share your viewpoints and concerns with each other.

It must be difficult though trying to balance your life as an atheist with the expectations of your family and society back home.

Hopefully you will be able to find a way to compromise between the two. I have never been Muslim but my mother is quite religious. When asks me if I have prayed or read the Bible or done this or that, I just have to lie and say yes or make up some excuse. It would hurt her too much to know the truth even though I think she suspects it any way.

Have a parrot to welcome you into our community  parrot

Reply #2 - July 12, 2015, 09:41 AM

Welcome Richard..    parrot
     Reply #3 - July 12, 2015, 01:22 PM

Welcome to the forum Richard Smiley

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #4 - July 12, 2015, 04:16 PM

Hi Richard,
    Welcome to the forum, have a few  parrot parrot parrot parrot
     Reply #5 - July 12, 2015, 11:23 PM

parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #6 - July 13, 2015, 03:12 PM

Welcome Richard, Smiley
    Given all the rules and regulations, plus the draconian punishments for going against them and the "don't ask too many questions" vibe, the religion you've left bares all the hallmarks of a cult (imo).
    Mashallah you've been guided to the righteous path of CEMB.  Wink
    Anyway all jokes aside, the last time I was in Holland I was taken back at how Islamified large parts of the city I was staying in were. How are things where you live, can you get about your day to day life without the feeling of Islam casting it's long shadow over your shoulder or are there still many muslims around you making you feel the need to conform to a certain degree?
     bunnyparrot
     Reply #7 - July 13, 2015, 03:56 PM

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the CEMB forum parrot

I'm in a country where we often are mistaken for people from your current country grin12

To me as an inbred Scandinavian it is always interesting to hear stories about people from Indonesia. I mean I know Ex-Muslims from Palestine, Egypt, Syria, Bosnia, Macedonia, Kosova, Turkey, Kurdistan, Iraq, Bangladesh and Iran but none from Indonesia lipsrsealed

Glad to have you here Smiley Hope you'll like it Smiley

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #8 - July 13, 2015, 05:15 PM

Hi Richard, welcome to CEMB!
     Reply #9 - July 15, 2015, 03:20 PM

What's up with so many of these S.E.A types, a drive by intro and then they're in the wind, come on guys stick around, us CEMB members don't bite(at least most of us anyways, as far as I know).
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »