Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hi, newbie from canada here!

(Read 2682 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hi, newbie from canada here!
     OP - July 07, 2015, 11:42 AM

Hey y'all!

First of all thanks for sharing your stories! I was pleasantly surprised to find so many people with experiences similar to mine, and for the first time in years I don't feel truly alone!

I'm in my 20s and was born and raised in Canada, in a religious muslim family of South Asian origin. Everything in my life was pretty much dandy until I realized I was gay and I couldn't bring myself to tell my loving yet extremely homophobic parents the truth. Since I knew all about Lot's story in both the Quran and the Bible and I was brought up to believe in the Quran literally, I was convinced that I'd have to live my life like some kind of chaste monk in order to get to heaven. On top of this, my dad frequently chanted the well-known "gays are cursed" spiel (and still does) which, even though I've given up religion, makes me almost as uncomfortable today as it did back then.

As I got older, this and many other Islamic concepts began to nag me, but particularly the one about who goes to heaven/hell. I was bullied by Muslim boys who went to my secondary school, and was verbally taunted and even physically beaten by them on a few occasions (nothing to with my homosexuality, and no-one suspected it at the time). This led me to question why all believing Muslims, even the most evil ones would end up in heaven, while the majority of non-Muslims, even the kindest ones (people like my dear friends, teachers, friendly neighbors, other inspirational figures) would end up burning in hell. It disgusted me that my bullies would be my co-habitants in heaven while my friends would be burning in hell as enemies of God.

To cut a long story short, I had my "eureka moment" a few months ago, where I realized that Islam is the problem and not me. I've never felt so liberated! Cheesy For years I felt like I was wrong for questioning Islam, and for being gay, and for believing that my life's entire purpose was to serve God and my family and live by their rules and values, no matter how much those rules and values contradicted what I felt. Now I feel confident in my values, and I don't have to compare my sense of morality to the standard Islamic spiel. At the moment, for the sake of my parents' love and sanity (or insanity rather), I'm living a double-closeted life, but at the same time I'm relishing my newly-found atheism!
     Reply #1 - July 07, 2015, 05:50 PM

Welcome. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #2 - July 07, 2015, 07:31 PM

Welcome  far away hug
     Reply #3 - July 07, 2015, 11:37 PM

Welcome  Smiley
     Reply #4 - July 10, 2015, 06:55 AM

thnkyu
     Reply #5 - July 10, 2015, 10:07 PM

Welcome Naevo. I was just watching a video about a guy who is a Muslim gay (and his parents got to know). He got kicked out Shocked

Do you have a relationship? And if you have one, how do you keep that a secret to your community (if you dont, how would you keep it a secret)?

Dogs never bite me - just humans. ~ M. Monroe

Religions seem to cause more grief than good.

Exmuslim Chat
     Reply #6 - July 11, 2015, 12:16 PM

Thanks ladybird.

Unfortunately, few of us can actually come-out and be fully accepted as gay. Islam's views on homosexuality are laid out in black and white in the Qur'an, it's a major taboo. Since most gay people don't want to be ostracized by their families/communities, they live in silence, or lead a kind of double life.

I personally live in a small city, and wouldn't be able to deal with the stress of being outed. For that reason, I haven't been in any sort of relationship. I'd have to move far away from here if I wanted to live that lifestyle because there's no chance in hell my parents/community would accept me having a boyfriend!
     Reply #7 - July 11, 2015, 12:46 PM

Welcome  parrot parrot bunny bunny Your story is not an unfamiliar one for many. That means you have a vast and open support network here, waiting for you Smiley

One only acquires wisdom when one sets the heart and mind open to new ideas.

Chat: http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/#ex-muslims
     Reply #8 - July 12, 2015, 04:27 PM

Hi,
    Welcome to the forum.  Do you think you'll ever come out to your parents?  Will they not sooner or later start to  pressure you to get married? 

Reply #9 - July 14, 2015, 11:35 AM

Thanks PhysMath & lena Smiley

lena, to answer your question, yes I do believe one day my parents will find out or at least suspect that I'm gay. Before that, they'll confront me about why I don't want to get married - but thankfully, they're not the aggressive type (except when it comes to defending Islam and hating on gays), and their own marriage was a love marriage (not arranged), so I doubt I'll be "pressured" to get married like most Desi 20-somethings are. They'll most probably be confused or hurt that I don't want to further the family line, and hence the gay conversation will probably come up; I'm just biding my time until then :/
     Reply #10 - July 14, 2015, 02:57 PM

Welcome naevo  parrot
     Reply #11 - July 14, 2015, 03:04 PM

Welcome to the forum naevo, have a rabbit!  bunny

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »