Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Ex-Muslim from Pakistan

(Read 5377 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Ex-Muslim from Pakistan
     OP - July 06, 2015, 12:55 PM

Hi, I am a Senior Software professional living in Karachi, Pakistan, having senior managerial position in a multinational IT organization. Few years ago I was a devout Muslim. I got married (arranged by my mom) to a very religious girl (who takes Naqab) and now have two sons.

I always had an intense urge of learning and reading, internet made it easier for me to access unbiased history and science. This took me away from Islam and the more I tried sticking to Islam the more I got away from it. I started listening to Tafseer (explanation) of Quran and I got further away from Islam.

Now from over two years, I am sure that I am an Atheist, but in a country like Pakistan and with a family very conservatively following religion, I find myself completely alone. If I even try telling anyone how I believe, I not only fear complete boycott, I may also get killed in the name of religion as Muslims around me (like almost all others)  believe it is their religious duty to kill an apostate.

This is my story so far, and I can't even ask to pray for my safety Tongue

An endangered rational thinker in Pakistan.
     Reply #1 - July 06, 2015, 01:19 PM

Hello there. I am also from Karachi, Pakistan. Sad to hear your story. Exactly why I have been avoiding marriage myself. My boyfriend recently broke up with me because I was an atheist (I am very open about it), although he himself drank alcohol, took drugs and what not. They just call themselves Muslim in case god turned out to be real. We are way better than them.
    Does it piss you off when people tell your children stories of flying horses and force them to believe them? Just wondering how it is to be married to a religious person while being an atheist.
     Reply #2 - July 06, 2015, 01:28 PM

Hi Asif,

welcome to the forum  far away hug

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're facing. If you're working for multinational IT organization, maybe there is a chance that you get into a project outside of Pakistan.
     Reply #3 - July 06, 2015, 01:46 PM

Hira, yes it really pisses me off when they bring religion and its concepts in everything and of course specially when they impress my kids with religious fairy tales and want to brainwash my kids. I can't even show clear resentment but sometimes i give some cues of not liking it and this brings some tension between me and my wife.

EIToro, All my projects are from outside Pakistan, most of them are from US, but my organization want me and my team working from Pakistan as this is cost effective and working remotely is a norm in software industry. Even if I move abroad my wife will probably be with me Cheesy

Reply #4 - July 06, 2015, 01:52 PM

Welcome to the forum Asif H. Have a rabbit!  bunny

I am sorry to hear about the circumstances regarding your family life, and I know the situation is not good. I do hope that if you do get the opportunity to go live abroad that you will take it, as that can significantly open horizons for your children and combat some of the indoctrination they are no doubt facing. Best of luck, and I'm sure you are very intelligent and will do fine without any prayers.  Smiley

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #5 - July 06, 2015, 02:00 PM

thanks asbie  Smiley

Reply #6 - July 06, 2015, 02:06 PM

Welcome to the forum Asif.

Good luck with everything. I hope the forum can help you in some way.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #7 - July 06, 2015, 02:21 PM

Hira, yes it really pisses me off when they bring religion and its concepts in everything and of course specially when they impress my kids with religious fairy tales and want to brainwash my kids. I can't even show clear resentment but sometimes i give some cues of not liking it and this brings some tension between me and my wife.

Your situation is indeed very sensitive. Hope everything works out well for you. Stay safe.
     Reply #8 - July 06, 2015, 02:48 PM

I hope Naerys.
    Thanks Hira.

Reply #9 - July 06, 2015, 03:06 PM

parrot

Have I misunderstood how Pakistan works?  I thought it was actually a very secular place if you are in the upper and middle classes.

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #10 - July 06, 2015, 03:13 PM

Moi, I would consider myself part of middle class, and my relatives and friends all are from the same class.

I think Pakistan is not secular at all, Please read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam#Pakistan

Reply #11 - July 06, 2015, 03:22 PM

Hi Asif,

Welcome to the CEMB forum Smiley Good to have you here parrot

Your situation unfortunately sounds extremely lonely. Sorry to hear that Cry Hopefully this place can help you so you feel less alone Smiley

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #12 - July 06, 2015, 05:30 PM

I hope so Nikolaj, any more Karachiites here except Hira.

Reply #13 - July 06, 2015, 06:09 PM

Welcome Asif. I also have Pakistani background, though born and bred in Europe. But my wife is muslim, and she is born and bred in Pakistan. Thankfully she is not a crazy religious person. I can completely relate to people bringing up religious nonsense in each and every conversation.

I don't hate religion, but Pakistani people should seriously learn to keep their religious beliefs to themselves. I have background from Punjab, and do visit from time to time. I actually spent the last Ramadan in Pakistan, and that was fun.  Roll Eyes

Btw, do you guys of Pakistani origin ever visit message boards mainly consisting of muslim Pakistanis? Such as paklinks.com or defence.pk? I feel its important for pakistani agnostics and atheists to debate with muslim pakistanis on predominantly muslim message boards. That would present alternative views to the narrative they've been indoctrinated with since childhood.

Its only be debating them, we can have them understand that its perfectly ok to not believe in Islam. Everything need not be about religion all the time. We non-muslim pakistanis are just like them, real human beings with the same kind of issues in life as they have. We just don't rely on any god to fix them for us.
     Reply #14 - July 06, 2015, 06:55 PM

Thanks Roberto, will probably try paklinks, siasat and defence.pk etc. that may have a positive impact in the long run on people, though I know a lot of them will start abusing me there for my views  Cheesy

Reply #15 - July 06, 2015, 10:02 PM

Khush amdeed!

Welcome to the forum Smiley parrot

I am really sad to hear about your current predicament. There are several Pakistanis around the world and many do leave Islam. In fact my close friend is of Pakistani origin in the UK (he's on this forum too!) and he's an apostate. Just stay strong, but keep low key. That's the best advice. In Pakistan there is a high risk but trust me there are definitely more of you. Stay strong, and stay safe. Good luck!

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
     Reply #16 - July 06, 2015, 10:26 PM

Welcome Smiley
     Reply #17 - July 07, 2015, 07:29 AM

parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #18 - July 07, 2015, 07:32 AM

Welcome  bunny bunny bunny
     Reply #19 - July 07, 2015, 10:33 AM

parrot Welcome. Your story is both brave and sad. I really wish you the best and whatever you do, I would strongly suggest not to come out with your belief especially in your country. Have a  bunny bunny bunny

Tired of the bull-shit. I write my own doctrines.
     Reply #20 - July 08, 2015, 07:33 PM

Hi, I am a Senior Software professional living in Karachi, Pakistan, having senior managerial position in a multinational IT organization. Few years ago I was a devout Muslim. I got married (arranged by my mom) to a very religious girl (who takes Naqab) and now have two sons.

I always had an intense urge of learning and reading, internet made it easier for me to access unbiased history and science. This took me away from Islam and the more I tried sticking to Islam the more I got away from it. I started listening to Tafseer (explanation) of Quran and I got further away from Islam.

Now from over two years, I am sure that I am an Atheist, but in a country like Pakistan and with a family very conservatively following religion, I find myself completely alone. If I even try telling anyone how I believe, I not only fear complete boycott, I may also get killed in the name of religion as Muslims around me (like almost all others)  believe it is their religious duty to kill an apostate.

This is my story so far, and I can't even ask to pray for my safety Tongue

Welcome!  parrot parrot parrot Well technically you are now void upon her (she cannot marry a non Muslim) and so your marriage is void.

One only acquires wisdom when one sets the heart and mind open to new ideas.

Chat: http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/#ex-muslims
     Reply #21 - July 08, 2015, 07:34 PM

Khush amdeed!

Welcome to the forum Smiley parrot

I am really sad to hear about your current predicament. There are several Pakistanis around the world and many do leave Islam. In fact my close friend is of Pakistani origin in the UK (he's on this forum too!) and he's an apostate. Just stay strong, but keep low key. That's the best advice. In Pakistan there is a high risk but trust me there are definitely more of you. Stay strong, and stay safe. Good luck!

That sounds like me. Pakistani origin...living in the UK...on this forum!? O_O

One only acquires wisdom when one sets the heart and mind open to new ideas.

Chat: http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/#ex-muslims
     Reply #22 - July 09, 2015, 01:24 PM

Even if I move abroad my wife will probably be with me Cheesy

That made me incredibly sad. I'd go insane if I was stuck in a marriage with a Muslim. Hopefully your situation isn't as bad as I'm imagining it to be.

Anyways, welcome to the forum! It's amazing that you managed to keep an open mind in a place like Pakistan. I haven't encountered a single rational person there, religion is their answer to everything. A few years ago, some relatives found severed goat heads in their back yard, and they believed that someone was trying to perform black magic on them. Everyone kept saying that we couldn't question it because "IT HAS BEEN MENTIONED IN THE QURAN!!!". A couple of weeks later I was told that they have proof for me that it's real, because they consulted a 'peer sahib' who guaranteed them that whoever was performing black magic on them would fall to their knees, admit to their mistake and ask for forgiveness - and that is exactly what happened.

I asked them if it ever occurred to them that this 'peer sahib' probably paid some random guy to say/do those things? I'm laughing just typing this because the idea of adults believing in magic is just hilarious.
     Reply #23 - July 09, 2015, 01:48 PM

Sufi saint worship gone wrong. One thing is to have a wise elder to consult. Another thing is stuff like this.

Luckily the Deobandis/Wahabis/Salafis will eventually sort them out.

Oh, wait... Cry

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #24 - July 09, 2015, 03:13 PM

Welcome!  parrot parrot parrot Well technically you are now void upon her (she cannot marry a non Muslim) and so your marriage is void.

haha yeah I know my nikah has broken lolz.

Reply #25 - July 09, 2015, 03:22 PM

It's amazing that you managed to keep an open mind in a place like Pakistan. I haven't encountered a single rational person there, religion is their answer to everything.

you are right there are very very few sane/rational people in Pakistan. People have closed their minds and they keep thinking within a small boundary of religion. They believe free and rational thinking is a sin or blasphemy and this has made it almost impossible for people to get out of the centuries old fairy tales, even if they are well educated.

Reply #26 - July 16, 2015, 11:40 AM

My transition to atheism has been gradual so I can't say exactly when I became Atheist. I learnt to read Quran in Barelvi environment by barelvi molvi. Deobandi ideas attracted and seemed more legit so I became a debandi in my teens. Later I felt that Salafi/ahal e hadith ideas are real and I became almost a Salafi in my mid twenties. (Shia concepts never attracted me)

Near the age of thirty I realized what a delusion religion is and cruelty, immoral ideas of religions along with science made me an Atheist.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »