Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Homosexuality and a Woman's Memory

(Read 2233 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Homosexuality and a Woman's Memory
     OP - July 06, 2015, 02:59 AM

The more I question and investigate Islam, the harder it gets to stomach the things I learn and am being told. A sheikh came to speak for my Muslim youth group and said that homosexuality is an unnatural thing that should be suppressed because it is damaging to the soul. He didn't have any evidence to back this claim. He even admitted that there was no scientific evidence to suggest that homosexuality is harmful, but the fact that God made it one of the major sins means that it is harmful to the soul in ways we don't have the capacity to understand. This of course, is a common argument for the reasoning behind a lot of sins - like listening to music. God gave us the intellect to understand his commands but not to understand the wisdom behind them.

But I'm glad that someone bothered to ask the question of what Islam says about homosexuality. I think they already knew what the answer to that question would be, but it was courageous of them to seek out the truth from a Muslim scholar. I think a lot of my generation are more open minded than the older Iraqis in my community.

I asked the sheikh to explain the part in the Quran (I believe it’s in Surat al-Baqara) that says a woman’s testimony is worth half that of a man’s. He started talking about a study that showed how women tend to remember things “too emotionally” and men remember the facts. It was infuriating, and I wanted to grill him about how this was supposed to work in cases like rape. “You’re a woman and you’re just remembering it too emotionally. You consented.”

I think I will ask him tomorrow, in as respectful a manner as I can. The sad thing is even my mom gave me this bullshit answer when I asked her about this passage in the Quran a couple of years ago. Muslim women can’t see how this is disabling to the value of their words.

"Nothing lasts forever. Even the stars die."

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
  • Homosexuality and a Woman's Memory
     Reply #1 - July 06, 2015, 01:42 PM

The whole questioning process seems to get one nowhere, especially with the cognitive dissonance of any "true believers" that you ask. After a while the answers even fail to be amusing...

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »