Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Ask a Physicist!

(Read 31917 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #60 - August 08, 2015, 12:22 AM

Lol. That too

Hi
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #61 - August 08, 2015, 12:25 AM

Must read when want a huge mind fuck.

Thanks for the link.
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #62 - August 08, 2015, 12:30 AM

Is the the universe finite or infinite?
    If the universe is finite, then it must have an edge

Isn't it supposed to have a shape, or a curve or something?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #63 - August 08, 2015, 12:35 AM

Maybe?
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #64 - August 08, 2015, 12:39 AM

When you talk about the universe being finite/infinite, you need to consider both space and time.

The universe can be either finite or infinite in both space and time, which leads to four possibilities:

1) Finite in space and time.
    2) Infinite in space and time.
    3) Finite in space, infinite in time.
    4) Infinite in space, finite in time.

As Carroll remarks, each viable option seems to have a serious problem.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #65 - August 08, 2015, 12:46 AM

Im not satisfied with that short answer lol
    I need to dive deeper.

Also Qtian, what shape is our Universe?

And if the universe is infinite in time and space, does that mean there are several other duplicate universes?
    Does that mean I can find a duplicate of myself?  dance

But arent space and time inter-connected? How can they be disconeccted?
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #66 - August 08, 2015, 12:48 AM

Also Qtian, what shape is our Universe?

Idk, ask someone who can observe the entire universe. IIRC, we can only see a fraction of it.

And if the universe is infinite in time and space...

As a non-physicist, I think it means that there is an infinite amount of shit that can happen and an infinite amount of time for said shit to happen.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #67 - August 08, 2015, 12:49 AM

But arent space and time inter-connected?

Are they?

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #68 - August 08, 2015, 12:52 AM

Why are you asking me when I am the one asking the questions?  Huh?
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #69 - August 08, 2015, 04:12 AM

Can Blackholes be a link to the origin proposed singularity in the Big Bang by merger/absorption of individual Blackholes?
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #70 - August 08, 2015, 04:55 AM

I've never thought of that before, but I am also interested in an answer.

• Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #71 - January 01, 2017, 01:05 PM

Are they?

Yes they are. Space and time are interconnected via the general theory of relativity.
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #72 - January 01, 2017, 01:12 PM

Can Blackholes be a link to the origin proposed singularity in the Big Bang by merger/absorption of individual Blackholes?

I can see where the question is coming from. Blackholes are residual mass after a star collapses in on itself after going into supernova. They are highly dense and massive, so one would presume a number of them merging together would be sufficient to explain the big bang. However, the problem I see with this is the start of it; stars require space, and space did not exist until the big bang. Also, blackholes need space-time to exist in the first place. A number of blackholes merging would actually grow in size, in general, rather than simply become more dense.

So no, in summary I don't think this theory is viable. Whatever it was at t = 0 for the universe is still unclear, but it was an infinitesimal point that expanded in all directions, but nobody knows exactly what it was at t = 0 itself.

Quick edit to add in: if you meant the singularity is some sort of emission from a set of merged blackholes, or some sort of event within a huge massive blackhole, we cannot know that either. No information to go by, to know for sure.
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #73 - January 01, 2017, 01:12 PM

Do you think it'll ever be possible to warp space to the point we could, say, crunch up 20 light years of distance to X and reach that distance in X space of time rather than however long 20 light years would take to cross?

• Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #74 - January 01, 2017, 01:16 PM

Do you think it'll ever be possible to warp space to the point we could, say, crunch up 20 light years of distance to X and reach that distance in X space of time rather than however long 20 light years would take to cross?

Huh!  Quantum  time travel ..or  Quantum tunnels?? Cheesy    Long time no see  dear QSE....  so glad to read you again

I wish you Happy New year  for you and I had a  Happy Old year ..
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #75 - January 01, 2017, 01:19 PM

To do that we would have to reach inexplicable speeds, which would require a massive amount of energy. Finding and harnessing such energy would be a feat. The alternative is to create a ball of extremely massive mass then follow the curvature of such space. Again it'd take obscene amounts of energy. I don't believe humans would be able to produce and harness such energy without destroying the galaxy. But who knows, someone might come up with a method for it. There may even be more theories of relativity to come which lean towards creating "wormholes", so to speak.
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #76 - January 01, 2017, 01:25 PM

The universe isn't flexible enough to pull this bit or that bit a mite closer and then let it go after we've crossed it? Since the universe is apparently expanding one would think it had some elasticity.

• Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #77 - January 01, 2017, 01:25 PM

To do that we would have to reach inexplicable speeds, which would require a massive amount of energy. Finding and harnessing such energy would be a feat. The alternative is to create a ball of extremely massive mass then follow the curvature of such space. Again it'd take obscene amounts of energy. I don't believe humans would be able to produce and harness such energy without destroying the galaxy. But who knows, someone might come up with a method for it. There may even be more theories of relativity to come which lean towards creating "wormholes", so to speak.

Hello ZackRazi .  well there will always  more theories and that option must be open to inquiry   but.,  

Is there a possibility that origin of universe could be explained without that big bang... bang bang .,   Or that is perfect and the only way for the origins of this universe?

• Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #78 - January 01, 2017, 01:29 PM

The universe isn't flexible enough to pull this bit or that bit a mite closer and then let it go after we've crossed it? Since the universe is apparently expanding one would think it had some elasticity.

It is "elastic", but to do that you need energy. It's what makes things happen. Just like climbing a mountain, you need energy. If you try to cheat and teleport to the top, you sure as heck need energy to do that great than or equal to the amounts of energy it would take if you simply climbed it. Take a cable cart and there is energy taken to run the cable cart.

There's always energy expended somewhere. Unfortunately the amount of energy seems to increase the more lazy we try to be.
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #79 - January 01, 2017, 01:30 PM

Hello ZackRazi .  well there will always  more theories and that option must be open to inquiry   but.,  

Is there a possibility that origin of universe could be explained without that big bang... bang bang .,   Or that is perfect and the only way for the origins of this universe?

Hello yeez, long time Smiley There is that possibility and it is being explored by several groups around the world. The problem is in getting empirical evidence for the alternative hypotheses.
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #80 - January 01, 2017, 01:34 PM

Is there anything known or theorised the universe itself produces that could be harnessed for energy? Sort of like the concept behind solar power, but universe power. Ohh, I'm now picturing a spaceship with sails. Space winds! bunny

• Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #81 - January 01, 2017, 01:35 PM

...........The problem is in getting empirical evidence for the alternative hypotheses.

well what evidence we have for big bang??

and  Are these evidences  UNQUESTIONABLE??

• Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #82 - January 01, 2017, 01:39 PM

Is there anything known or theorised the universe itself produces that could be harnessed for energy? Sort of like the concept behind solar power, but universe power. Ohh, I'm now picturing a spaceship with sails. Space winds! bunny

Haha, you're not far off. There are solar winds, so I'd bet there are cosmic events that cause "winds" in space-time. I'm also betting on there being cosmological events that cause ripples in space-time that would be useful for propulsion, a bit like waves on the sea. As long as the tide moves in the same direction. There is energy everywhere, basically, but containing it or structuring something useful out of it would be a tall order. Sorry to not be able to give exact answers, but that's because currently there are none.
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #83 - January 01, 2017, 01:41 PM

well what evidence we have for big bang??

and  Are these evidences  UNQUESTIONABLE??

Not unquestionable, no. There are always questions we can ask. That's the beauty of science. Ask then ask some more, and you'll come closer to knowing something. And yet you'd probably find out you're wrong in the process and need to refine the model.
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #84 - January 01, 2017, 02:16 PM

Not unquestionable, no. There are always questions we can ask. That's the beauty of science. Ask then ask some more, and you'll come closer to knowing something. And yet you'd probably find out you're wrong in the process and need to refine the model.

well  every one and anyone who are graduates high school science classes MUST AGREE WITH THAT .,

But Zack  I wonder  what questions could we phrase on the evidence/s we have on  that origin of Universe  through big bang...??

• Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #85 - January 01, 2017, 02:57 PM

well  every one and anyone who are graduates high school science classes MUST AGREE WITH THAT .,

But Zack  I wonder  what questions could we phrase on the evidence/s we have on  that origin of Universe  through big bang...??

Everyone, irrespective of their education, would agree with it Smiley

We can ask all sorts of questions, in fact there's infinitely many of them. I won't list them, but I'll leave it to your imagination on what you can ask.
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #86 - January 01, 2017, 03:17 PM

Everyone, irrespective of their education, would agree with it Smiley

We can ask all sorts of questions, in fact there's infinitely many of them. I won't list them, but I'll leave it to your imagination on what you can ask.

Cheesy Cheesy  

well I wish  you could list few questions   on   big bang...  so basically you believe with in the existing theories  on origins of universe (if there are any)  big bang takes the cake and walks away. ..right??

with best wishes and wish you happy new year
    yeezevee

• Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #87 - January 06, 2017, 08:15 AM

Could dark matter be what's left when a black hole dies?

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #88 - January 07, 2017, 04:04 PM

Could dark matter be what's left when a black hole dies?

Good thought! It is feasible, but fundamentally, as dense as a black hole is, it'd have to convert to a form of energy that's almost untraceable but also sufficient to potentially drive the expansion of the universe. I believe the characteristics of dark matter are such that it is unlikely that this is the case. As far as current Physics is concerned, dark matter began to exist since the moment of the big bang and continues to be present to this very day.
  • Ask a Physicist!
     Reply #89 - January 07, 2017, 04:05 PM

Cheesy Cheesy  

well I wish  you could list few questions   on   big bang...  so basically you believe with in the existing theories  on origins of universe (if there are any)  big bang takes the cake and walks away. ..right??

with best wishes and wish you happy new year
    yeezevee

A happy new year to you too!

And yes big bang takes the cake, eats it, regurgitates it into a fully formed cake and takes it again.
  • Previous page 1 2 34 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »