Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Dear CEMB

(Read 10038 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Dear CEMB
     OP - July 02, 2015, 06:24 PM

Dear CEMB,

I am writing this letter hoping to make a friend. I have worn the veil since I was seven-years-old. I’m quietly unhappy, but I find strength in writing letters. The anonymity of a letter gives me hope. The space of this page lets me be open with myself, with you.

I am a 22 year-old Iraqi-American woman. I was born in a refugee camp in Saudi Arabia. When I was eight months old, my family moved to the United States along with a small community of Iraqi refugees and settled here. To say that they have undergone culture shock is an understatement. Because we are such a small, close knit community, we have formed something akin to a religious cult. All the families keep a tight leash on their children and try to isolate them from American culture. The daughters in particular have it the worst. Some families have conformed, somewhat, to American culture. My parents haven’t changed at all.

Growing up, I was barely allowed to leave the house. I had mainly only other Iraqi children as friends, and I could only hang out with my American friends if they came over to my house. I was never allowed to go anywhere with them. When I was seven, I apparently made a lifelong commitment to the hijab. At the time, I really believed I was doing a good thing, but I was also trying to please my parents and be like other Iraqi girls my age who were donning the hijab. I haven’t taken it off since, but I’ve wanted to take it off for a long time. Every morning, I go through the motions, putting on a long skirt, dress, or trousers. I always wear sleeves up to my wrists. I never leave the house without socks and, of course, the hijab. I show only that which is apparent, according to the rule: my hands and my face.

I was in the fifth grade when I realized I was not allowed to speak to boys. I had borrowed a book from a boy at school and one day he came over to my house and asked for it back. My dad went ballistic and whipped my ass with a towel. I think it wasn’t just because I had been talking to a boy; I think it was because I had been talking to a black boy. I didn’t understand why he was so angry with me until I got older and realized that my father believed I didn’t speak to boys at school. He still believes this.

When I was in community college, my mother saw me walking with a male student and yelled at me. “What if someone had seen you?” By ‘someone’ she had meant another Iraqi who would spread rumors about me having a boyfriend and ruin my reputation.

I am not allowed to have a boyfriend. My family’s worst fear is having their reputation tarnished in this small cult of a community because of me. 

My mother tells me I am a good girl for wearing the hijab so well and not talking to boys, but I’m disobedient in other ways and this disappoints her. I take it as a compliment. My mother is a narcissistic parent. She has always viewed me as an extension of herself, rather than as an individual with an identity that is separate from hers. My father believes his maleness gives him rights over my mother and myself. I must obey everything he says and not argue.

I am not allowed to speak to boys. I am not allowed to have sexual thoughts. I must act asexual until I am set up with an Iraqi Muslim to marry.

Every day, my parents try to mold me to their idea of what I should be. I let them see what is on the surface and hone my behaviors according to their expectations. I don’t speak my mind. This is my veil. They are only just satisfied with the image I present to them; they would prefer to erase me completely and draw up a person who is a perfect reflection of themselves. I think I fall short of their impossible standards.

I’ve never let anyone touch me. I don’t want to be understood as oppressed; I believe I have transformed the veil into something else. But there is something I need to make clear:

I am not what I appear to be.

I am not a Muslim.

I have grown up very isolated and sheltered from other people, but I was allowed to read books. This helped me gain critical thinking skills and I was very young when I began having doubts about God and Islam. Novels like 1984, The Scarlet Letter, Frankenstein, The Crucible and Jane Eyre in particular had a profound impact on me. Books with gay protagonists also made me empathetic to gay people because I felt like I was a closeted person. I had just been going through the motions of a religious and obedient daughter without really questioning why I did the things I did. I was unhappy and isolated from everyone. It was when I entered high school that I really began to question the fundamental beliefs my parents were trying to ingrain in me. I questioned things like why was homosexuality a sin, and why it was necessary for me to wear the hijab, and why did a woman have to be obedient to her husband, and why did believing in God even matter? I was always unsatisfied with their answers, but I stayed quiet about my doubts.

I tried to ignore the nagging suspicion that God wasn’t real and that my parents were trying to brainwash me into living a very specific lifestyle - one that would not dishonor them. Over the past few years I have really tried to be a Muslim, but I think I abandoned the concept of Allah a long time ago.

I’ve gotten older and things have slightly improved. I have a car and have essentially graduated with my bachelor’s degree in English and Cultural Studies - I just have one more quarter left. This has helped me form my own identity, but day by day I am coping with my situation, distracting myself from the fact that I’m extremely unhappy. I still live at home and have this psychological fear of disobeying my parents. I’m still not allowed to have a boyfriend or travel to far places by myself, or go out with American friends, and moving out is out of the question. I spend my days reading and writing alone in my room or going to religious lectures just for social activity, and I always question what’s being preached at me.

I know I can physically do all of these things if I wanted to, but I’m afraid of my parents. And I’m afraid of the repercussions of telling them I am an atheist. They always shock me with the ways they manipulate me emotionally, and I don’t know what kind of emotional distress they will inflict on me if I told them the truth.

Shame seems too insufficient a word to express the way I feel about myself under the gaze of my parents. Resentment is a weak description for the way I feel about them. Angry, guilty and sad are my primary states when I’m not writing letters. I am living in a constant state of distraction and suppression.

To tell my parents the truth would break them, break me. Islam is not just a religion. It is a set of absolute morals. It is the only way to live life. To not be a Muslim is unfathomable. To be born into a Muslim family and reject the faith is the ultimate transgression.

I write my transgressions into stories and letters because I know they won’t read them. To them, there is nothing worth reading besides the Quran and other Islamic texts. I create my true self on a page, in a story, in a poem, in a letter to a friend. A page is also my veil. I use the anonymity to my advantage, to protect myself from certain people uncovering who I really am; an infidel among believers.

So, here I am.

I am not a Muslim, and it feels so good to say that. I am struggling to come to terms with this, and this is why I need a friend. I hope you understand.

Sincerely,

“Aqua”

"Nothing lasts forever. Even the stars die."

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #1 - July 02, 2015, 06:46 PM

A most impressive and eloquent introduction Aqua. I look forward to reading more of your creation of self via this blog, and hear more of your story. And I think many here can relate to your need for a friend. So many of us can relate to this story.

Finally, I'd like to offer you this introduction rabbit. Use it well.  bunny

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #2 - July 02, 2015, 06:50 PM

Hi Aqua - you have many friends here - including me Smiley

Thank you for sharing.
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #3 - July 02, 2015, 07:04 PM

Thank you both for the friendly welcomes. Asbie, thank you for the rabbit. I happen to claim that as my spirit animal  bunny

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #4 - July 02, 2015, 07:06 PM

Welcome Aqua..    x

• Dear CEMB
     Reply #5 - July 02, 2015, 07:14 PM

Thank you, suki.

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #6 - July 02, 2015, 07:36 PM

Hello Aqua .. That is you., there will be time and the time will come.,  you will fly all over the world with freedom written all over you .. So until then.. Rant.. rant .. write .. write.. away.,

In a hind sight., it is not your parent's fault .. it is the fault of the  society around them .. They just could not get over the lives they lived when they were children.. So they enforce the same rules on their children.

Calm down., mellow down and smile at them .. smile at all the folks.. Important thing in life is  toget some college degree.. to be independent financially and show what you are to the rest of the community .. to the rest of the world...

I wish you the best....... we all wish you the best............
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Dear CEMB
     Reply #7 - July 02, 2015, 07:45 PM

Welcome, Aqua. I think there are many of us who can relate to what you are currently enduring. You are among friends, that is for certain. I look forward to reading more from you.

far away hug
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #8 - July 02, 2015, 07:56 PM

yeezevee, what a beautiful post. Thank you for the inspiring message. Um huraira, I'm so glad to hear that I am among friends. I feel less alone already.

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #9 - July 02, 2015, 08:10 PM

Welcome to the forum Aqua.  Afro

"The greatest general is not the one who can take the most cities or spill the most blood. The greatest general is the one who can take Heaven and Earth without waging the battle." ~ Sun Tzu

• Dear CEMB
     Reply #10 - July 02, 2015, 08:20 PM

Thank you, Maya.

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #11 - July 02, 2015, 10:58 PM

Welcome Aqua  parrot

Your letter was beautifully written but I'm sad to read of your feeling of isolation. Do you have friends at college you can confide in? Will you be looking for a job after you graduate? Financial independance could be a step towards an independant life lived the way you want. 
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #12 - July 02, 2015, 11:16 PM

SCM, I'm too afraid to confide in anyone. I'm not ready to do anything just yet. I'm currently applying for a job as a cashier, and then when I graduate I will look for a job related to my field of study. I agree that financial independence is the key to my freedom.

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #13 - July 02, 2015, 11:48 PM

Welcome friend Smiley
    Your English degree clearly shines through in your introduction. Only for the content I'd have said it was a pleasure reading, that in no way is meant to detract from your ability with the written word. I look forward to reading more from you and enjoy those sneaky gummy bears. Wink

P.s have a  parrot & a bunny
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #14 - July 03, 2015, 12:54 AM

That was beautifully written and gripping.
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #15 - July 03, 2015, 01:00 AM

Welcome, Aqua. Thank you for sharing your story with us.
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #16 - July 03, 2015, 02:00 AM

Asbie, thank you for the rabbit.

Beware Asbie's rabbits; they are rampant.

Beautiful intro, thanks.

One day you will leave home. You will because you must.
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #17 - July 03, 2015, 03:02 AM

I am so thankful to have so many nice and welcoming responses to this letter. I look forward to being a part of this community!  parrot bunny thnkyu

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #18 - July 03, 2015, 10:53 AM

One day you will leave home. You will because you must.

Suppose one were a monarch, living in the castle of one's dreams, waited on hand and foot? Why must one leave in that circumstance?  Tongue

Beware Asbie's rabbits; they are rampant.

Everyone needs a legacy.  yes

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #19 - July 03, 2015, 01:17 PM

Welcome Aqua  parrot
    I can relate to your story.. It's really hard. I always feel guilty towards my parents and I can't do the things I would like to do.
    Stay strong and step by step you will be able to gain your freedom!

Feel free to write me if you want! As the others said, you're among friends  Wink

Every Morning We Are Born Again.
    What We Do Today Is What Matters Most.
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #20 - July 03, 2015, 01:22 PM

Welcome Aqua  parrot
    I can relate to your story.. It's really hard. I always feel guilty ............

Hmm..  Nihal  ...Aqua  ... and many more....

well..   this is for you guys..

• Dear CEMB
     Reply #21 - July 03, 2015, 02:55 PM

parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot

my veil

Keep practicing this - I think it shows your love and care for your parents in that you are protecting them!  I think you are very carefully redefining your relationships.

Could you become the main player in your family?  Eventually buy them a home?  

What were their dreams?  I was once told a saying by a Somali refugee to another refugee, what are you complaining about, once you only had a tree to shelter under.

Why haven't they realised they are no longer in the lifeboat and made new lives in the "new world"?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #22 - July 03, 2015, 02:57 PM

Welcome back Nihal! Hope you've been doing well!  Smiley

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #23 - July 03, 2015, 03:03 PM

Someone must have written a story about a small group who had been through terrible times and been rescued but believed they were still imprisoned and or in terrible danger?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #24 - July 04, 2015, 09:15 PM

Thank you, Nihal. Although I'm sad that you feel you can't do the things you want to do, I'm glad that I have people I can relate to.

parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot

Keep practicing this - I think it shows your love and care for your parents in that you are protecting them!  I think you are very carefully redefining your relationships.

Could you become the main player in your family?  Eventually buy them a home?  

What were their dreams?  I was once told a saying by a Somali refugee to another refugee, what are you complaining about, once you only had a tree to shelter under.

Why haven't they realised they are no longer in the lifeboat and made new lives in the "new world"?

Moi, I'm slowly working towards that. Thank you for the encouragement. I suppose my parents are used to the lifeboat mentality and can't imagine any other way to live.

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #25 - July 04, 2015, 09:41 PM

Someone must have written a story ......................

Moi, I'm slowly working towards that. ......................

well http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?board=10.0    there are 11 pages  there

every one should read Sahara's Story

• Dear CEMB
     Reply #26 - July 04, 2015, 09:49 PM

I read Sahara's story yesterday. It really broke my heart and I have to say it really puts my situation into perspective. I do believe that my parents love me and want what's best for me in their own misguided way and I just have to patiently keep doing what I'm doing and establish my own identity away from them.

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #27 - July 04, 2015, 11:35 PM

parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot

One only acquires wisdom when one sets the heart and mind open to new ideas.

Chat: http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/#ex-muslims
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #28 - July 04, 2015, 11:48 PM

bunny bunny bunny bunny bunny bunny bunny

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
  • Dear CEMB
     Reply #29 - July 05, 2015, 03:33 AM

Welcome! You are among friends! parrot