Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Radical by Maajid Nawaz

(Read 1994 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Radical by Maajid Nawaz
     OP - July 01, 2015, 10:21 PM

Has anyone else on this forum read Maajid Nawaz's book Radical.

I've got to the half way mark - its sooooo good! Very gripping!
     Reply #1 - July 01, 2015, 11:44 PM

Yes I did and really enjoyed it. From what I've seen and heard of the guy I have to say I like him. I know he comes in for a lot of bashing by people from all walks of life but he's human and for me his good out weighs his bad. I don't have time to spend all day defending him but I will say this much, that he's a voice of dissent, a finger in the eye if you will, of orthodox Islam and without high profile voices like him speaking out against and critising the problems within Islam, the badly flawed mindset of many muslims and Islamism things would probably be even worse for apostates. I'm only guessing but perhaps being an apostate just 30 years ago would make for an even lonier, frightening time. I know the internet has a large part to play but it's the voices it allows, particularly the ones from inside the faith, challenging traditional narrative to gradually force a new paradigm, that are beginning to break the apostasy taboo.
    In short if all muslim held similar views to Maajid Nawaz, CEMB probably wouldn't exist.
    *Waits for SerpentofEden to chip in, in the not too distant future* Wink
     Reply #2 - July 02, 2015, 01:18 AM

The problem is that Maajid Nawaz only seems to have an impact on nonmuslims, especially those that are critical or somewhat critical of Islam. He and Quilliam may give advice to the government and nonmuslim civil society that can make an impact. But so far, there doesn't seem to be anything done by Quilliam or Majid Nawaz that directly impacts muslims in a new way. Im not even sure that Maaajid Nawaz has any platform or legitimacy to use as a muslim within the muslim world. There are  liberal muslims that have a certain legitimacy and support within the muslim community, but those are the type of people that are not admired by critics of Islam.
     Reply #3 - July 02, 2015, 01:28 AM

The problem is that Maajid Nawaz only seems to have an impact on nonmuslims, especially those that are critical or somewhat critical of Islam. He and Quilliam may give advice to the government and nonmuslim civil society that can make an impact. But so far, there doesn't seem to be anything done by Quilliam or Majid Nawaz that directly impacts muslims in a new way. Im not even sure that Maaajid Nawaz has any platform or legitimacy to use as a muslim within the muslim world.  There are  liberal muslims that have a certain legitimacy and support within the muslim community, but those are the type of people that are not admired by critics of Islam.

Skywalker, Who are those liberal Muslims that have a certain legitimacy and support within the Muslim community? Questions is are they Islam Preachers? are they community leaders or politicians?

Well as you know Muslim community is NOT monolithic so Maajid Nawaz will have support from some Muslim folks that are bit further from literal Islam..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #4 - July 02, 2015, 01:57 AM

Someone you might recognize is Reza Aslan, which shows you why critics of Islam often oppose such liberal muslim. Another maybe Omid Safi... and others.
     Reply #5 - July 02, 2015, 02:38 AM

Im not even sure that Maaajid Nawaz has any platform or legitimacy to use as a muslim within the muslim world.

As Tomas says, Nawaz is a dissenter. It's a lonely job until a tipping point is reached, and what was once dissent becomes the norm.

Without people like Nawaz (prophets without honour among their own people), this point is never reached.
     Reply #6 - July 02, 2015, 03:17 AM

^Its a difficult job.
     Reply #7 - July 02, 2015, 03:22 AM

That's the essence of dissent.
     Reply #8 - July 02, 2015, 07:02 AM

I agree with those who say that voices like Majid Nawaz' are very important. Just the other day that deluded fool Mo Ansar was likening Majid Nawaz to ISIS, when he himself probably has much more in common with ISIS than Majid Nawaz does.

How many of the likes of Mo Ansar and Mehdi Hassan are willing to openly condemn the principle of "right hand possessions"? Sure they will chastise ISIS' practice of it, but when Prophet Mohammed and his band of sahaabees were taking female captives of war as slaves and raping them, then it was perfectly alright, because they were emancipating those poor women into society, and what better way to do that then to rape them.  Roll Eyes
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »