Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Beyond Belief Hadith

(Read 2170 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Beyond Belief Hadith
     OP - June 29, 2015, 04:03 PM

Tom Holland in a quagmire!

Hadith
    Beyond Belief

To Muslims, Muhammed is the most important person who ever lived. He is the Seal or the last of all the prophets, the one chosen by God to receive his final revelation. To insult the memory of the Prophet is a blasphemy and a body blow to the Muslim believer. It can carry terrible consequences as the staff of Charlie Hebdo discovered when they published cartoons which were thought by Muslims to be demeaning their Prophet. The Qur'an tells us very little about Muhammed. What we do know comes from the stories and traditions about the Prophet, known as the Hadiths, which were compiled after his death. Those stories provide moral examples of how to behave; but they also impact all of Islamic history.

Ernie Rea is joined by Jonathan Brown, Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Chair of Islamic Civilisation at Georgetown University; Sahib Bleher, Imam and author on the Qur'an; and Tom Holland, a Classicist and author of several best selling books including In The Shadow of the Sword, on the origins of Islam.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06084kv

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Beyond Belief Hadith
     Reply #1 - July 01, 2015, 07:49 AM

Haha, I thought this was about those far-fetched hadith, where playing chess is likened to dying your hands with  piggy blood and stuff.
  • Beyond Belief Hadith
     Reply #2 - July 01, 2015, 09:47 AM

Tom Holland in a quagmire!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06084kv

Ernie Rea is joined by Jonathan Brown, Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Chair of Islamic Civilisation at Georgetown University; Sahib Bleher, Imam and author on the Qur'an; and Tom Holland, a Classicist and author of several best selling books including In The Shadow of the Sword, on the origins of Islam.

That is an interesting discussion.... it would be nice to translate their statements in to  text so every one reads and  discusses it..  So these guys in that debate are

Ernie Rea:    Ernie Rea (born Belfast, 1945) is a radio presenter. He is also a freelance writer and consultant on interfaith issues. He graduated from Queen's University, Belfast, with degrees in History and Politics and in Theology. He was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1971.

In 1978, he joined the religious broadcasting section of the BBC, and eventually rose to become Head of Religious Broadcasting.  He presents Beyond Belief, a programme on BBC Radio 4 which discusses religious issues. He is a member of the Three Faiths Forum, an organization which exists to foster understanding between the three faiths of Christianity, Judaism and Islam.

Jonathan A.C. Brown:  Jonathan A.C. Brown (born 1977) is an American Islamic scholar and author. Since 2012, he has been associate professor at Georgetown University's Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service. In 2014, he was appointed Chair of Islamic Civilization. He is the editor in chief of the Oxford Encyclopedia of Islam and Law.

He has authored several texts including Misquoting Muhammad: The Challenges and Choices of Interpreting the Prophet’s Legacy and The Canonization of al-Bukhari and Muslim. He has published articles in the fields of Hadith, Islamic law, Salafism, Sufism, and Arabic language.

He was raised as an Anglican and converted to Islam in 1997.  Brown graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts in History in 2000 from Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., studied Arabic for a year at the Center for Arabic Study Abroad at the American University of Cairo, and completed his doctorate in Islamic thought at the University of Chicago in 2006.

From 2006 to 2010 he taught in the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilization at the University of Washington in Seattle, and since 2010 has been Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies and Muslim-Christian Understanding in the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University.  He is also a term member of the Council on Foreign Relations.

He has written on Hadith, Islamic law, Sufism, Arabic lexical theory and Pre-Islamic poetry and is currently focused on the history of forgery and historical criticism in Islamic civilization and modern conflicts between late Sunni Traditionalism and Salafism in Islamic Thought.[6] His research has taken him to Egypt, Syria, Turkey, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Indonesia, India and Iran among others.

his Ph. D thesis .. http://www.mypercept.co.uk/the_canonization_of_al-bukhari.pdf

Jonathan Brown is the Alwaleed bin Talal Chair of Islamic Civilization in the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University, and he is the Associate Director of the Alwaleed bin Talal Center for Muslim Christian Understanding. He received his BA in History from Georgetown University in 2000 and his doctorate in Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations from the University of Chicago in 2006. Dr. Brown has studied and conducted research in countries such as Egypt, Syria, Turkey, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, South Africa, India, Indonesia and Iran. His book publications include The Canonization of al-Bukhari and Muslim: The Formation and Function of the Sunni Hadith Canon (Brill, 2007), Hadith: Muhammad’s Legacy in the Medieval and Modern World (Oneworld, 2009) and Muhammad: A Very Short Introduction (Oxford University Press, 2011), which was selected for the National Endowment for the Humanities' Bridging Cultures Muslim Journeys Bookshelf. His most recent book, Misquoting Muhammad: The Challenges and Choices of Interpreting the Prophet’s Legacy (Oneworld, 2014), was named one of the top books on religion in 2014 by the Independent. He has published articles in the fields of Hadith, Islamic law, Salafism, Sufism, Arabic lexical theory and Pre-Islamic poetry and is the editor in chief of the Oxford Encyclopedia of Islam and Law. Dr. Brown’s current research interests include Islamic legal reform and a translation of Sahih al-Bukhari.

One has to carefully listen to that Muslim Convert.. a high school drop out and   also a PROFESSOR of history .  It is interesting to note how he changes the subject of Hadith, Sunnah and early cock & bull stories from History of Islam to some stupid Soldier in Iraq and some foolish Muslims in Afghanistan .

Sahib Bleher:  rof. Dr. Sahib Mustaqim Bleher is a founder member of the Islamic Party of Britain and served as its general secretary and education spokesman as well as editor of the party magazine Common Sense. He is a professor of applied linguistics and translation and works as a commercial translator and interpreter through his own translation company in the UK. He is a member of Chartered Institute of Linguists and of the Chartered Institute of Journalists in the UK.

Born in 1959 in Heidelberg, Germany, he worked as a journalist before turning to translation and publishing. He has translated several titles of Islamic Literature from Arabic to German and authored several books in English through his own small publishing enterprise in the UK where he also served many years as a prison imam.

Sahib Mustaqim Bleher is known for his dynamic lectures at universities and other events throughout the UK and abroad, as well as numerous pamphlets, dealing with topics on education, Islamic economics, politics, Muslim strategy and other issues of contemporary interest. He is a regular participant on various radio and television shows.
    Amongst the hobbies of Sahib Mustaqim Bleher is aviation. He holds a private pilot's licence with instrument rating. He is also a 5th Kyu in Kyokoshinkai Karate, and is currently studying Tai Chi Chuan. He is married, has five grown-up children and nine grandchildren

Tom Holland,  Holland was born near Oxford and brought up in the village of Broadchalke near Salisbury, Wiltshire, England. He was educated at Chafyn Grove School, Canford School, and Queens' College, Cambridge,[1] where he obtained a double First in English and Latin.[2] He has adapted Herodotus, Homer, Thucydides and Virgil for BBC Radio 4.[citation needed] His novels are set in the past, and generally include a supernatural/horror element. He is the author of several non-fiction books about the ancient world.

In 2004, he was awarded the Hessell-Tiltman Prize, awarded to the best work of non-fiction of historical content, for his book Rubicon: The Last Years of the Roman Republic.[3]

In 2011, he presented and wrote Dinosaurs, Myths and Monsters, a BBC Four programme exploring the influence of fossils on mythology.[4]

In August 2012, he produced a documentary for Channel 4 entitled Islam: The Untold Story,[5] which provoked what Holland described as "a firestorm of death threats" against him.[6] Contributors included Professor Patricia Crone. The programme generated a strongly negative response from some British Muslims, with more than 1,000 complaints received by Ofcom and Channel 4.[7][8] A planned screening of Islam: The Untold Story before an audience of historians was cancelled, due to security concerns raised from threats received by Holland as a result of the documentary.[9][10]

In August 2014, Holland was one of 200 public figures who were signatories to a letter to The Guardian opposing Scottish independence in the run-up to September's referendum on that issue.[11]

and we know who Tom Holland is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwo5xpO390k

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Beyond Belief Hadith
     Reply #3 - July 01, 2015, 03:35 PM

Tom Holland on Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/holland_tom/status/615630873556316160
  • Beyond Belief Hadith
     Reply #4 - July 01, 2015, 03:45 PM

No ..no.. what Tom says there is this

2 believers & 1 infidel (me) meet on @BBCRadio4 to debate the reliability & morality of the hadiths. Combustible...  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06084kv

it should be read as  " 2 stupid ROBOTS .. one born in Islam., other converted in to Islam and me The infidel"  Sahib Bleher  born in Islam is far more  sensible in selecting words to describe hadith  than that fool  AMRIKI professor.    I need to put that in to text.. I hope i wlll do it and send it to Jonathan A.C. Brown so he looks and see how stupid he sounds..

and and this funny  at that link

Mohammed A says

@holland_tom @BBCRadio4  "if Quran requires Hadiths to be understood then either Chinese whispers corrupted Quran or God lacked clarity.

Cheesy   that is perfect..

• Beyond Belief Hadith
     Reply #5 - July 02, 2015, 09:28 AM

Not to namedrop or anything, but I got a chance to speak to Tom a few days ago (I hadn't heard the programme at the time). He expressed his deep frustration with how difficult it is to have a civilised conversation on the topic - Brown is someone Holland respects. Brown doesn't seem to follow Holland's point in the programme though.
  • Beyond Belief Hadith
     Reply #6 - July 02, 2015, 11:33 AM

....................He expressed his deep frustration with how difficult it is to have a civilised conversation on the topic - Brown is someone Holland respects. Brown doesn't seem to follow Holland's point in the programme though.

Look at his hair & hair style

Tom Holland is a type of guy, he will respect any and  every one..  NOT Me... Mr. Professor J. A. C. Brown is a TALKATIVE PRICK ., The types that can only become professors after dropping out of high school and  becoming professor  in some university department  that gets donations from  some rich Oil sheikhs ..

• Beyond Belief Hadith
     Reply #7 - July 02, 2015, 04:19 PM

Should this type of thing be called turd sculpture?

Spending a fortune and years sculpting, shaping, polishing etc etc a pile of?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »