Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hello again

(Read 3552 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hello again
     OP - June 27, 2015, 07:13 PM

Hi guys, I joined a few months ago and I introduced myself and then I haven't had much chance to come back for ages and I thought I should re-introduce myself!
    I am a 36 year old atheist brought up as Roman Catholic. Went to a hardcore Catholic school with nuns but I always thought it was nonsense. I guess I realised that when an adult won't answer your question it's because they don't really have all the knowledge they claim.
    I live in Manchester, married with small children. I have quite a few Muslim friends, and an Iranian apostate friend.
    Some of the stuff I read here cracks me up. like some Muslim people must  think all white /western /non Muslim people are constantly out at orgies all the time! Ha ha! If only heretic life was that exciting. it's really not that different to theirs I would think only with less prayers and more beers and bacon sandwiches!

I read Hassan's blog this week, great piece of writing my friend. Your story was fascinating and your style of writing is very engaging.
    Anyway, hope everyone is well, safe and happy. Most of all keeping a sense of humour!

• Hello again
     Reply #1 - June 27, 2015, 07:24 PM

Welcome back Mom ami, have another rabbit!  bunny

like some Muslim people must  think all white /western /non Muslim people are constantly out at orgies all the time! Ha ha! If only heretic life was that exciting.

Damn! I should have never left Islam then!  Tongue

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Hello again
     Reply #2 - June 27, 2015, 07:32 PM

Yeah, same for us ex left footers!
    They said there would be orgies and since I left,  not a single one!
  • Hello again
     Reply #3 - June 27, 2015, 08:50 PM

Yeah, same for us ex left footers!

What is that supposed to be?

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Hello again
     Reply #4 - June 27, 2015, 10:09 PM

Catholics are called left footers , it's a slang term. Slightly derogatory. You know before Muslims were the enemy in Britain, catholics were ☺
  • Hello again
     Reply #5 - June 27, 2015, 10:12 PM

Yup, left in Latin is sinister, the origin of the term sinister. The Latin for right is dexter, the origin of the term dexterous.
  • Hello again
     Reply #6 - June 27, 2015, 11:03 PM

Ah yes, that's strange though that a word origin from Latin would be used to disparage Catholics. Learn something new everyday.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Hello again
     Reply #7 - June 27, 2015, 11:27 PM

Ironic innit?

Associated is the term ...

... Get off on the wrong foot

Meaning

Make a bad start to a project or relationship.

Origin

This has the sound of an old expression - from Shakespeare, the Bible or similar. Shakespeare did use the notion of a 'better' foot (which implies a wrong foot) in King John, 1595:

KING JOHN:
    Nay, but make haste; the better foot before.
    O, let me have no subject enemies,
    When adverse foreigners affright my towns
    With dreadful pomp of stout invasion!
    Be Mercury, set feathers to thy heels,
    And fly like thought from them to me again.

Richard Harvey, in Plaine Perceuall the peace-maker of England, 1590, is the first to record the wrong foot in print:

"Thou putst the wrong foote before."

Despite the implication otherwise in the phrase put your best foot forward we only have two choices, so if there's a wrong foot there has to be a right one too and get off on the right foot is also in common use.

How did these phrases originate? Well, we don't know. It may be that it comes from the long-standing preference people have for the right. Most people in all cultures are right-handed and in English at least the bias is part of the language. We have right and left and right and wrong, tends to associate left and wrong. That association is built into the language in the way that we have taken the Latin for left - sinister, to mean dark and suspicious. There are various disparaging terms for use of the left that demonstrate this bias - cack-handed, goofy-footed etc.

There is a suggestion that it in ancient Greece it was considered unlucky to put the left foot on to the floor, or into one's shoe, first. Brewer records this in his Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, 1898. I can't find supporting evidence for that view, so I'll just repeat what Brewer had to say here:

It was thought unlucky to enter a house or to leave one’s chamber left foot foremost. Augustus was very superstitious on this point. Pythagoras taught that it is necessary to put the shoe on the right foot first. "When stretching forth your feet to have your sandals put on, first extend your right foot" (Protreptics of Iamblichus, symbol xii.). Iamblichus tells us this symbolised that man’s first duty is reverence to the gods.

Another suggestion is that the concept of a right foot and a wrong foot comes from the military, where in order to march in step soldiers all have to start with the same foot.

See other phrases and sayings from Shakespeare.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/150300.html

Bolded part is reminiscent of hear-say of Mohammed

HOW TO ENTER

Enter or leave your house or office with your right foot first, as it was the tradition of the Prophet Muhammad Peace and blessings be upon him. Imam Abul Ala Hasan ibn Ahmad al-Hamazani, a great scholar of hadith of his time, was so keen on applying this sunnah to the extent that if someone entered his house with their left foot first, he would ask them to go out and re-enter with their right foot first.

When entering or leaving a house, do not push the door violently or slam it shut, nor leave it to close by itself. Close the door quietly with your hand. You may have heard a hadith reported by Muslim wherein Aisha May Allah be pleased with her, may Allah be pleased with her, quotes the Messenger of Allah Peace and blessings be upon him: Gentleness adorns every act. Its absence will tarnish it.

http://www.inter-islam.org/Lifestyle/leavinghouse.html

• Hello again
     Reply #8 - June 27, 2015, 11:29 PM

People used to be really OCD back in the day, it seems.  Tongue

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Hello again
     Reply #9 - June 27, 2015, 11:39 PM

Yup!
  • Hello again
     Reply #10 - June 28, 2015, 08:02 AM

How did anyone ever go anywhere!
    Yes so left footers are catholics, now you know!
    As for sinister left handed people, it must have been awful being beaten for being left handed and having to learn to write with the other hand, I am right handed but cannot write a thing with my left. Must have been really hard to learn to do it.
    Human beings are crazy, the things they do to each other.
  • Hello again
     Reply #11 - June 28, 2015, 10:31 AM

parrot

I wonder how many traditions like the Islamic left right foot thing - that of course extends to which hand you eat with and wipe your bottom - are actually much much older, for example Greek and Persian rituals - I understand the Persians had the most incredible dining rituals, failure to keep meant you committed suicide - like farting.

Archaeology of ancient sites might show fascinating things, like were stones fashioned by left or right handed people, were tools used more by left or right handed people, where were cooking utensils placed around a fire?

Actually it is fascinating how Islam seems to have taken anything and everything and given it authority by telling a just so story about Mo and Aisha, rewriting history to pretend nothing happened beforehand.

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Hello again
     Reply #12 - June 29, 2015, 08:07 AM

Yes the origins of some things are so far back they have got totally distorted.
    Did Islam hijack the pagan festivals that existed before it?
    like Christianity did? Easter and Christmas were moved to fit the spring and winter festivals.
    Persian culture is fascinating, imagine having to be so careful not to fart! Many people I know would sadly no longer be with us. I would still be here obvs.
  • Hello again
     Reply #13 - June 29, 2015, 08:31 AM

Another theory about the left side of the body can be traced back to ancient times when pagans practised contacting spirits and demons,( jiin according to islam).  They believed that the spirits whispered through the left ear, therefore associating the left with evil.  Mediums and channeler's today claim that the voices can be heard through the left ear..  I think the speech and auditory centres are on the left, perhaps this has something to do with it, and that little voice we have inside our head.
  • Hello again
     Reply #14 - June 29, 2015, 04:31 PM

Hi Mom ami,

Welcome again parrot

As for sinister left handed people, it must have been awful being beaten for being left handed and having to learn to write with the other hand

That happened to my mother in the 50's here in Denmark finmad She was physically punished by the teachers for being left-handed Undecided She was even sent to a "weak children's colony" (summer camp) where the abuse was even worse. And back then you couldn't just call your parents and say you wanted to go home. Cry

She eventually became a school teacher herself. A very progressive one.

My oldest little brother is right-handed, but left-footed (or left-legged, as we say here). Perhaps he was born Catholic Tongue

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Hello again
     Reply #15 - July 01, 2015, 07:43 PM

Thanks, yes perhaps he is secretly one of us! Good on your mum for working to change the system!
  • Hello again
     Reply #16 - July 01, 2015, 08:51 PM

Thanks, yes perhaps he is secretly one of us! Good on your mum for working to change the system from the inside!
  • Hello again
     Reply #17 - July 01, 2015, 09:13 PM

Hi guys, I joined a few months ago and I introduced myself and then I haven't had much chance to come back for ages and I thought I should re-introduce myself!
    I am a 36 year old atheist brought up as Roman Catholic. Went to a hardcore Catholic school with nuns but I always thought it was nonsense. I guess I realised that when an adult won't answer your question it's because they don't really have all the knowledge they claim.
    I live in Manchester, married with small children. I have quite a few Muslim friends, and an Iranian apostate friend.
    Some of the stuff I read here cracks me up. like some Muslim people must  think all white /western /non Muslim people are constantly out at orgies all the time! Ha ha! If only heretic life was that exciting. it's really not that different to theirs I would think only with less prayers and more beers and bacon sandwiches!

I read Hassan's blog this week, great piece of writing my friend. Your story was fascinating and your style of writing is very engaging.
    Anyway, hope everyone is well, safe and happy. Most of all keeping a sense of humour!

Hmmm, a mancunian I see. Wink That's the BEST kind of Brit  whistling2 Welcome (back) to the forum my friend!  bunny bunny bunny bunny parrot parrot parrot parrot

One only acquires wisdom when one sets the heart and mind open to new ideas.

Chat: http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/#ex-muslims
  • Hello again
     Reply #18 - July 01, 2015, 09:14 PM

Welcome back Mom ami, have another rabbit!  bunny

Damn! I should have never left Islam then!  Tongue

I know right!? And I broke the bank on getting the gear too *puts straps away*  whistling2

• Hello again
     Reply #19 - July 01, 2015, 09:16 PM

Then welcome back  parrot
  • Hello again
     Reply #20 - July 05, 2015, 04:46 AM

parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Hello again
     Reply #21 - July 09, 2015, 08:15 PM

Hmmm, a mancunian I see. Wink That's the BEST kind of Brit  whistling2 Welcome (back) to the forum my friend!  bunny bunny bunny bunny parrot parrot parrot parrot

Why thank you and I agree mancunians rule!
  • Hello again
     Reply #22 - July 09, 2015, 08:32 PM

Why thank you and I agree mancunians rule!

Of course! We come from INNER England! Those outer England folk (*cough* *splutter* LONDONERS *clear throat*) don't have the foggiest. Bloody southeners.

• Hello again
     Reply #23 - July 10, 2015, 12:39 PM

Quote from: PhysMath
    Of course! We come from INNER England! Those outer England folk (*cough* *splutter* LONDONERS *clear throat*) don't have the foggiest. Bloody southeners.

You can say that, but out of mine and your accents, only one of them is a natural aphrodisiac. And it ain't yours.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Hello again
     Reply #24 - July 10, 2015, 03:05 PM

You can say that, but out of mine and your accents, only one of them is a natural aphrodisiac. And it ain't yours.

Welcome back  Cheesy

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »