Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Split from Upcoming CEMB Official Events

(Read 3957 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Split from Upcoming CEMB Official Events
     OP - June 16, 2015, 06:30 PM

Maajid Nawaz is invited?

this is an incredibly bad idea to invite the UK's most noteworthy antimuslim new McCarthyite, especially in light of the perception that exmuslims allign with them spread by the likes of Deepa Kumar in her slide that's been making the rounds. If an affiliation is publicly shown to Maajid Nawaz and Quilliam it's only detrimental to the UK ExMuslim Movement in building good relations with muslims considering the amount of contempt most UK muslims have for Maajid with his continuous vilification of muslims for his bank balance.

Can some please pass this message on to whoever is in charge for speaker arrangment for the 20th Saturday June Event
     Reply #1 - June 16, 2015, 06:48 PM

The UK's most noteworthy anti-muslim? Are you shitting me? Cheesy

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #2 - June 16, 2015, 10:14 PM

Yup! Maajid Nawaz is no Nick Griffin!
     Reply #3 - June 16, 2015, 10:32 PM

I like Majid Nawaz and support him and am very glad he's going to be there  Afro

Reply #4 - June 17, 2015, 12:18 AM

The UK's most noteworthy anti-muslim? Are you shitting me? Cheesy

Who trash talks muslims more than Maajid Nawaz in the UK ?I actually live within and interact with a community of proper muslims who pray and practise the deen, it's widely understood that Maajid Nawaz is a self-hating muslim who demonises muslims at every opportunity for the paper.

@Hasan,even your capitalist buddy you was pictured said he wants to show no public relationship with Maajid/Quiliam because as his family are still very devout muslims and he is still within a practising muslim community he knows how much contempt there is for maajid.

Maajid Nawaz is just Tommy Robinson with more gesticulation and articulation, a sophisticatd brown Robert Spencer and showing a connection to Maajlad can push back more mainstream acceptance of exmuzz in the uk by muslim years

Invite Maajid if you want but at the least take it off the website that he's coming and don't upload his talk afterwards trying to flog his new book with Sam Harris afterwards.
     Reply #5 - June 17, 2015, 12:25 AM

Who trash talks muslims more than Maajid Nawaz in the UK ?  I actually live within and interact with a community of proper muslims who pray and practise the deen, it's widely understood that Maajid Nawaz is a self-hating muslim who demonises muslims at every opportunity for the paper. .........

well serpent  then you must have realized , Even in England "ALL MUSLIMS DO NOT FOLLOW SAME ISLAMIC RULES"   So there is nothing wrong if Maajid Nawaz trash talks about some trash Muslims..  And I am sure Those Muslims also trash talk about Maajid Nawaz....

And that word "Proper Muslim" changes from time to time, place to place and person to person..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #6 - June 17, 2015, 12:49 AM

well serpent  then you must have realized , Even in England "ALL MUSLIMS DO NOT FOLLOW SAME ISLAMIC RULES"   So there is nothing wrong if Maajid Nawaz trash talks about some trash Muslims..  And I am sure Those Muslims also trash talk about Maajid Nawaz....

And that word "Proper Muslim" changes from time to time, place to place and person to person..

That was actually a good and coherent reply.

Who are you and what have you done with Yeezy?
     Reply #7 - June 17, 2015, 12:52 AM

Who trash talks muslims more than Maajid Nawaz in the UK ?I actually live within and interact with a community of proper muslims who pray and practise the deen, it's widely understood that Maajid Nawaz is a self-hating muslim who demonises muslims at every opportunity for the paper.

@Hasan,even your capitalist buddy you was pictured said he wants to show no public relationship with Maajid/Quiliam because as his family are still very devout muslims and he is still within a practising muslim community he knows how much contempt there is for maajid.

Maajid Nawaz is just Tommy Robinson with more gesticulation and articulation, a sophisticatd brown Robert Spencer and showing a connection to Maajlad can push back more mainstream acceptance of exmuzz in the uk by muslim years

Invite Maajid if you want but at the least take it off the website that he's coming and don't upload his talk afterwards trying to flog his new book with Sam Harris afterwards.

A brown Robert Spencer? Oh come on Serpent! Now that's going too far.
     Reply #8 - June 17, 2015, 01:02 AM

@yeezeevee
    "ALL MUSLIMS DO NOT FOLLOW SAME ISLAMIC RULES"

Who the hell said they did?

So there is nothing wrong if Maajid Nawaz trash talks about Muslims..  And I am sure Those Muslims also trash talk about Maajid Nawaz....

he flagrantly speaks of "muslims" in a generalised way. Also a false equivalance, Maajid is a public figure they ain't.
     Reply #9 - June 17, 2015, 01:07 AM

If you want to act mature and not name names about this guy like I'm pretty sure I recall you saying you wouldn't, at least stop with the heavy hints to his identity. Either commit to a dick move or don't; don't act noble yet make it pretty clear to most of us who you're referencing.

As for the rest of it, I don't follow Maajid too closely, could you provide us with some examples of what you personally find makes him unsuitable to support ex-Muslims publicly, or worthy of what you've charged him with?
     Reply #10 - June 17, 2015, 01:16 AM

I tend to think that Maajid Nawaz (and others) will have very little (direct) impact on muslims, but very large impact on critics of Islam, so that debate takes place within certain parameters. I know that Sam Harris worried about Eurabia and took seriously enough to talk about some muslims who planned to take over (the  west) by higher birthrates. I wonder if Maajid Nawaz talked him out of it. In the end angry europeans/americans need a prototype of a 'reform' muslim to invest in the future of a liberal Islam,rather than to invest in a global showdown. Thats the role that Maajid Nawaz plays effectively. In the end, what matters is the debate and that every role is filled, not that everyone can fill every role.Others can do the work of modernizing Islam.
     Reply #11 - June 17, 2015, 02:01 AM

@yeezeevee
    "ALL MUSLIMS DO NOT FOLLOW SAME ISLAMIC RULES"

Who the hell said they did?

oh! ok...  good  so  we all know All Muslim folks do not follow same Islamic rules..I think we all should remember that  all the time

So there is nothing wrong if Maajid Nawaz trash talks about Muslims..  And I am sure Those Muslims also trash talk about Maajid Nawaz....

he flagrantly speaks of "muslims" in a generalised way. Also a false equivalance, Maajid is a public figure they ain't.

Hi  Serpent give me the proof...  I am sure you should be able to find some tube that is relevant to what you are saying . There are plenty from Maajid...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #12 - June 17, 2015, 02:32 AM

I tend to think that Maajid Nawaz (and others) will have very little (direct) impact on muslims, but very large impact on critics of Islam, so that debate takes place within certain parameters. I know that Sam Harris worried about Eurabia and took seriously enough to talk about some muslims who planned to take over (the  west) by higher birthrates. I wonder if Maajid Nawaz talked him out of it. In the end angry europeans/americans need a prototype of a 'reform' muslim to invest in the future of a liberal Islam,rather than to invest in a global showdown. Thats the role that Maajid Nawaz plays effectively. In the end, what matters is the debate and that every role is filled, not that everyone can fill every role.Others can do the work of modernizing Islam.

Very well said young Luke.
     Reply #13 - June 17, 2015, 09:18 PM

Thank you Smiley
     Reply #14 - June 19, 2015, 03:01 PM

Lua. recently Maajid posted a survey on women in the muslim world. He hadn't even looked at the survey because his FB post was along the lines of "look how much worse women are treated in the muslim world", when the survey was just looking at muslim majority countries lol ........... and not at MMC's and non-muslim majority countries an comparing the 2. He then edited his post when he realised the mistake he made thinking that nobody would notice LMAO ......................... This one examples shows CLEARLY that he wants to denigrate and villify muslims and tell everyone how awful they all are to fit in with the Daily Mail/Fox News right-wing/far-right narrative of "look how awful all the muslims are" and further fill up his coffers. This is just one example. Maajid Nawaz has also written for the anti-muslim rag the Daily Mail. There you go, 2 examples

CEMB is fully entitled to Invite Maajid Nawaz, co-sign him all you want, sell his new book on Saturday personally if you want, be his personal PR but then don't then cry about and act surprised when exmuslims are lumped together with New-McCarthiyites and antimuslim bigots when you publicly show an affiliation and affinity towards the most renowned new-McCarthyite anti-muslim bigot in the UK.

My conscience is clear that I as ONE INDIVIDUAL ex-muslim fully condemn a hate preacher like Maajid Nawaz and I can show anyone that generalises all exmuslims as new-McCarthiyites and anti-muslim bigots that I individually am not in the right-wing exmuslim crowd. as I said Maajid Nawaz is just the brown Robert Spencer who is more well spoken and a more eloquent orator. Don't be fooled by his training in public speaking. 

I only say this because I care about the perceptions of exmuslims as a whole.
     Reply #15 - June 22, 2015, 02:39 PM

@serpent

I do agree that how we present ourselves and how we represent ex-muslims is absolutely critical, and that we always have to be double checking our language and making sure we do this fairly and correctly.

As for his facebook post, there is absolutely no denying that in many of these countries there's some serious work to be done and that conditions for women can be deplorable and protections non-existent. How we choose to bring up the subject does require some tact, of course, but from what you describe, he went about it the wrong way. But I see that all the time even from those among us with the best of intentions, this tactless, ugly behavior. In fact, if you'll recall, not too long ago happymurtad and I expressed that we thought that a lot of things you were posting in the interesting pictures thread were tactless, which you were not too pleased about IIRC. I do get that we have to be careful--absolutely, yes.

I also reckon I'd have to see what he wrote in the dailymail rather than just taking the fact that he was published there as proof that he's "a hate preacher...the brown Robert Spencer..." and so on. In the meantime, the language you're using is spectacular, and no more help to the perception of us and a healthy conversation about our boundaries. Throwing around labels and using absolutes like this is not helpful. No person in the public eye is going to be perfect. Let's address specifically what they do or say that is wrong and what they need to do better in the future if we want this to be productive.
     Reply #16 - June 22, 2015, 05:51 PM

As for his facebook post, there is absolutely no denying that in many of these countries there's some serious work to be done and that conditions for women can be deplorable and protections non-existent.

My point wasn't to say no work as to be done to fight misogyny where ever it is, but how he CLEARLY LIED that "look at how these muslim majority countries treat women worse then these non-muslim majority countries" purely to denigrate and demonise muslims when the survey wasn't even looking at ANY non-muslim majority countries.

Also Lua , is it only muslim countries where works needs to be done? Let's look at the UK

- We have roughly 85'000 women being raped every year (moj) (ons)
    - 1 in 3 schoolgirls experience unwanted sexual touching (yougov ltd)
    - 2 women a week are killed by a partner or ex-partner (department of health)
    - 1 in 5 women (aged 16-59) has experience some form of sexual violence since the age of 16. (MOJ) (ONS).

Guess what? your goldenboy Maajid Nawaz said (along the lines of) that he's only interested in the treatment of women in a muslim context, which just shows he's not really interested in eradicating the mistreatment of women everywhere, but really just using how women are badly treated in many muslim majority countries as a charade for his antimuslim bigotry, and as you know his funding and wealth are dependent on assassinating the muslim community.

In fact, if you'll recall, not too long ago happymurtad and I expressed that we thought that a lot of things you were posting in the interesting pictures thread were tactless, which you were not too pleased about

To equivocate dark humour with the dehumanising of a minority social group in the UK as Maajid does is an an absurd comparison. Dark humour is many a time used as a tool for satire and make good points and and to help people laugh at their own serious situations and prevent them for doing serious harm to themselves. I literally laughed out loud when I read that.

I also reckon I'd have to see what he wrote in the dailymail rather than just taking the fact that he was published there as proof that he's "a hate preacher...the brown Robert Spencer...

I never said that just because he writes for the Daily Mail he's a hate preacher, I don't appreciate being strawmanned.

The Daily Mail is he most notorious muslimophobic, racist, xenophobic, far-right media outlet in the UK and what does CEMB do? Invite one of their frequent writers and publicly shows an affinity to him at a time when exmuslims are being accused as a whole of being in bed with new-McCarthiyites/the right/far-right.

This is a massive own goal for CEMB. When Anne Marie-Waters jumped to the far-right and joined UKIP, CEMB and Maryam quite rightfully distanced themselves from Anne-Marie and publicly revoked any connection to her. This Maajid love from CEMB is a going back one step back from CEMB's previous policy of disassociating with bigots.

No person in the public eye is going to be perfect. Let's address specifically what they do or say that is wrong and what they need to do better in the future if we want this to be productive.

I've tried to engage with Maajid Nawaz, but as anyone know bigotry and hatred pays very well so he is completely intransigent. You will very rarely change a persons views when their salary and wealth is dependent on maintaining their views, in that regard Maajid is the same as Hamza Tzortzis.

Reply #17 - June 22, 2015, 06:29 PM

My point wasn't to say no work as to be done to fight misogyny where ever it is, but how he CLEARLY LIED that "look at how these muslim majority countries treat women worse then these non-muslim majority countries" purely to denigrate and demonise muslims when the survey wasn't even looking at ANY non-muslim majority countries.

I wasn't trying to say that you were clueless about these issues. The point I was trying to make is that they are legitimate complaints, and not everyone goes about it in an ideal manner. If you have further examples of how absolutely terrible he is, I might look at this incident in a different light. But that alone isn't proof of anything. I've seen the best among us make generalizations or go a little too far when trying to address something that needs to be addressed.

Also Lua , is it only muslim countries where works needs to be done? Let's look at the UK

Well, I didn't think I was giving off the impression that I thought otherwise, but since you asked, I'll tell you what I tell Islamic apologists who try to say how, in the end, Saudi Arabia is a better place for women than the United States because of face value rape statistics: the gigantic difference between many of these locations and a place like the UK is whether or not there are legal protections in place that are actually reasonably available for the women to utilize when they do become victims or are in danger of becoming victims. The availability and completeness of these legal protections to women in any country is the critical issue to this conversation.

Guess what? your goldenboy Maajid Nawaz said (along the lines of) that he's only interested in the treatment of women in a muslim context, which just shows he's not really interested in eradicating the mistreatment of women everywhere

No it doesn't. Especially if it's “along the lines of.” I'm not saying that this couldn't be the case with Nawaz, but I'm saying that the proof and evidence you're giving me is not compelling at all. If I say that I'm interested and concerned and my primary line of work is working with women in the inner city and I don't want to get into talking about domestic violence rates in the suburbs, that doesn't mean that I don't give a fuck about those other women. It means that I'm here to do a job and focus on one thing right now, and I especially am likely to say something like that if people keep bringing up women in other locations to try to distract from my point or bring up their own agenda.

So, again, not saying it's impossible, nor saying that he's my goldenboy? Like I said, don't really follow the guy at all. But what you're showing me isn't sufficient to make those claims.

To equivocate dark humour with the dehumanising of a minority social group in the UK as Maajid does is an an absurd comparison.

Well, guess you missed the point. It's okay, we'll work it out. For one thing, there's an awful lot of dark humor in that board, that's not at all the issue. You were just posting cartoons that he and I both found spectacularly tasteless and, yes, the precise kind of thing that I'd expect to see on anti-Muslim sites. I know that's not your angle, but that's what happened. And the mod team even had to remove one of your pictures because it was way over the top.

But my point is that not everyone is going to be perfect in the public eye all the time. I certainly wouldn't want to send you out as our best foot forward to represent ex-Muslims,  I do think you ride the line at times, and I'm sure you feel the same for me. When we think someone's doing something, saying something, supporting something that we think might ultimately be detrimental to how we are perceived, we ought to have that discussion and say what we think we could be doing better. HM and I had no problem saying that to you, or to anyone, and if you think Nawaz isn't a good fit for this, it's good that you speak up, too. My problem with you is you giving me these weak examples and then just nailing him with these extreme accusations. If you could show me that he deserves it, we'd be cool and I would think you did a good thing here.

If you were put in the public eye and you were under scrutiny, you can bet your sweet ass that many ex-Muslims wouldn't think you're cut out for it, either, and would make similar accusations, and the same goes for me. So what we have to do is try to chill the fuck out and talk about this like adults: productively, with examples, and constructive criticism. 

I never said that just because he writes for the Daily Mail he's a hate preacher, I don't appreciate being strawmanned.

Oh man. Strawmanned is a little much, don't you think? But my bad, it was the daily mail examples in combination with the facebook one. To quote you directly: “This one examples shows CLEARLY that he wants to denigrate and villify muslims and tell everyone how awful they all are...This is just one example. Maajid Nawaz has also written for the anti-muslim rag the Daily Mail. There you go, 2 examples”

So let me just say that I don't think those “2 examples” are enough to call him a hate preacher. We good now?

The Daily Mail is he most notorious muslimophobic, racist, xenophobic, far-right media outlet in the UK and what does CEMB do?

Yes, and that's good and well, but again, we need to see what he says in the Daily Mail, not just that he writes for it. You could be published by a Fox outlet or appear as a regular on one of their network programs, but that doesn't make you a representative or agent of everything you could charge the company with as a whole. Specifics, my man. We need specific articles where he actually preached hate or whatever it is that he did wrong.

I've tried to engage with Maajid Nawaz, but as anyone know bigotry and hatred pays very well so he is completely intransigent.

How did you go about that, though? No offense--really, no offense intended--but I know from experience that it's rough to try to have a conversation in a civil tone with you sometimes. I might give you a pass myself, depending on how you went about trying to engage with me. And anyway, I was talking about the conversation you and I are having right now. You came here to prove a point and voice a concern, and you have an audience now, so let's do it right.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »