Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Greek island refugee crisis

(Read 108179 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 19 20 2122 23 ... 33 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Greek island refugee crisis
     Reply #600 - September 24, 2015, 10:55 AM

Ahmet Davutoğlu, the Turkish prime minister, wrote to the EU leaders on Wednesday demanding bold concessions from the Europeans as the price for Turkey’s possible cooperation.

Fuck you, we don't trust you and your boss. We know what is your agenda, we know who backs ISIS and the other Islamists.

I say give Turkey a 2 months period to sign a readmission treaty and if they don't want, impose  economic sanctions on them. Just like with Iran. That's how you can deal with these bastards.
     Reply #601 - September 24, 2015, 06:36 PM

In photos: the people, families — and a cat — who battled to reach Europe

https://news.vice.com/article/in-photos-the-people-families-and-a-cat-who-battled-to-reach-europe
     Reply #602 - September 24, 2015, 06:46 PM

Patrick Kingsley - smugglers predict a slow down as winter approaches

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/24/refugee-crisis-people-smugglers-izmir-turkey-predict-drop-business

This is more or less what I'd expect. The weather in Greece normally breaks sometime in October or early November, with a lot more rain, storms and rough seas, making a crossing on a dinghy a much riskier proposition. Usually there's calmer, if cold, weather in January and that's probably when the refugee traffic will start to pick up again, always supposing that Turkey continues to turn a blind eye, which in turn may depend on how its haggling with the EU goes.
     Reply #603 - September 25, 2015, 09:59 AM

Where are all these refugees going to live, where is the housing ?  not been following the stories fully..
     Reply #604 - September 25, 2015, 10:14 AM

^So far most have headed for Germany. I haven't really followed the plans for resettling them there but I'm sure Germany can cope with it. I'm not sure how it will work out in other countries now that quotas are being imposed. Greece has always had a refugee/migrant issue but for the most part it doesn't provide any kind of support for them.
     Reply #605 - September 25, 2015, 10:20 AM

Why Greece shut the shortest, safest route for refugees: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/greece-turkey-border-fence_55f9ab73e4b0d6492d63ec12?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067
    The record numbers of migrants and refugees arriving in Greece from Turkey by boat -- more than 2,500 on Wednesday alone -- are a recent phenomenon. Not so long ago, the shortest, and safest, route was the 125 mile land border that runs along the Evros river in northern Greece.

The river is a natural barrier, but a 6.5 mile strip of fields between the villages of Kastanies and the town of Nea Vyssa was a popular way to enter. This changed, however, when Greece started constructing a fence in October 2011.

It was completed in December 2012, at a cost of about $3.3 million dollars. Built on a concrete base and made of strong barbed wire, it's 4 meters tall and equipped with thermal cameras, which scan the surrounding area.

The decision to build the fence was controversial. The European Commission argued  in 2011 that it "would not effectively discourage immigrants or smugglers who would simply seek alternative routes into the European Union.” But the government of Prime Minister Antonis Samaras went ahead, fearing that access to Greece at the land border was too easy. The numbers of migrants and refugees arrested while trying to cross into the country from Turkey reached 100,000 in 2011, according to the UN refugee agency.

The effects of the fence were instantly felt, according to the authorities, with migration numbers in the area falling as much as 90 percent immediately after it was erected.

Though the flow of migrants and refugees crossing the northern land border reduced, the numbers of those arriving on the Eastern Aegean islands rose considerably from 2012 to 2013, and dramatically from 2014 onwards, according to the Hellenic Foundation for European and Foreign Policy. The journey for those who still attempt to cross the river is perilous.

Reply #606 - September 25, 2015, 10:41 AM

^So far most have headed for Germany. I haven't really followed the plans for resettling them there but I'm sure Germany can cope with it. I'm not sure how it will work out in other countries now that quotas are being imposed. Greece has always had a refugee/migrant issue but for the most part it doesn't provide any kind of support for them.

Yeah, I've not heard anything about their future housing plans, hope they don't end up in run down ghettos or camps.
     Reply #607 - September 25, 2015, 04:38 PM

Amnesty International - refugees at risk of forcible return from Turkey to Syria

https://www.amnesty.org/download/Documents/EUR4425212015ENGLISH.pdf
     Reply #608 - September 25, 2015, 05:02 PM

Varoufakis vs. UKIP on Question Time, starting off with the refugee crisis (watch on iplayer here)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri2V3QkV_aE&ebc=ANyPxKpwp0IybTzfwVncAOpPSTM4fm2qrqLXsNEhKRuiCblQCLRZNQHFyVfMvRCwdP1qxLDiHsAC5_a_J-ZbqEETwLPVD8KKRQ

Reply #609 - September 26, 2015, 09:57 AM

http://missingmigrants.iom.int
     Reply #610 - September 26, 2015, 06:24 PM

Greece pondering opening up its land border with Turkey (Evros fence) for refugees. Big news if it happens.

Reply #611 - September 28, 2015, 10:36 AM

Zeca, Madame Merkel will not allow this to happen. Otherwise Greece will not get any more money.
     Reply #612 - September 28, 2015, 11:15 AM

I suspect you're right about this. There's also the question of whether Greece would be allowed to stay in Schengen. The ultimate threat if Greece ended up defaulting and leaving the Euro might be exit from the EU and Greeks losing their rights to travel freely in Europe. I'm not sure how EU politicians would sell this to the public though. At the moment Greece and Turkey are enforcing EU border policies that are causing loss of life on a massive scale, 70 dead or missing in the Aegean so far this month. This could be stopped overnight by opening the Evros border. It would be interesting to see the arguments if the Syriza government went ahead with it. I doubt that they'd have the guts to go through with it though, as with the confrontation over the bail out.
     Reply #613 - September 28, 2015, 01:17 PM

The EU politicians and particularly Ms. Merkel have something bigger to sell to the public. How they can accommodate almost 10000 migrants per day, without discontenting the local non muslim population? A public which increasingly has a very bad opinion of Islam and Muslims as well. Think about it, what do you think a politician care about more?
     Reply #614 - September 28, 2015, 01:25 PM

I shouldn't think they care much about dead children washed up on the beach in another country. I'm just wondering how they deal with the PR.
     Reply #615 - September 28, 2015, 01:51 PM

Report on protests in Edirne calling for the opening of the border: http://www.ekathimerini.com/201958/interactive/ekathimerini/special-report/knocking-on-the-gates-of-europe
     Reply #616 - September 28, 2015, 02:08 PM

With the UN nowhere to be found, the residents of Lesvos have had to help hundreds of refugees a day on their own

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/eu-refugee-crisis-with-the-un-nowhere-to-be-found-the-residents-of-lesbos-have-had-to-help-hundreds-of-refugees-a-day-on-their-own-10517249.html
     Reply #617 - September 28, 2015, 02:13 PM

How police treat refugees on Samothraki: https://mobile.twitter.com/northaura/status/648498168733270016/photo/1
    “The island we landed on was called Samothrace. We were so thankful to be there. We thought we’d reached safety. We began to walk toward the police station to register as refugees. We even asked a man on the side of the road to call the police for us. I told the other refugees to let me speak for them, since I spoke English. Suddenly two police jeeps came speeding toward us and slammed on the brakes. They acted like we were murderers and they’d been searching for us. They pointed guns at us and screamed: ‘Hands up!’ I told them: ‘Please, we just escaped the war, we are not criminals!’ They said: ‘Shut up, Malaka!’ I will never forget this word: ‘Malaka, Malaka, Malaka.’ It was all they called us. They threw us into prison. Our clothes were wet and we could not stop shivering. We could not sleep. I can still feel this cold in my bones. For three days we had no food or water. I told the police: ‘We don’t need food, but please give us water.’ I begged the commander to let us drink. Again, he said: ‘Shut up, Malaka!’ I will remember this man’s face for the rest of my life. He had a gap in his teeth so he spit on us when he spoke. He chose to watch seven people suffer from thirst for three days while they begged him for water. We were saved when they finally they put us on a boat and sent us to a camp on the mainland. For twelve days we stayed there before walking north. We walked for three weeks. I ate nothing but leaves. Like an animal. We drank from dirty rivers. My legs grew so swollen that I had to take off my shoes. When we reached the border, an Albanian policeman found us and asked if we were refugees. When we told him ‘yes,’ he said that he would help us. He told us to hide in the woods until nightfall. I did not trust this man, but I was too tired to run. When night came, he loaded us all into his car. Then he drove us to his house and let us stay there for one week. He bought us new clothes. He fed us every night. He told me: ‘Do not be ashamed. I have also lived through a war. You are now my family and this is your house too.’”

Reply #618 - September 28, 2015, 02:17 PM

Journalists on Lesvos: https://www.facebook.com/philippa.kempson.1/posts/10153367961399355
     Reply #619 - September 28, 2015, 06:37 PM

Nearly 100 people dead or missing in past 10 days in 6 shipwrecks between Greece & Turkey  http://bit.ly/1h2W2mp 

Reply #620 - September 28, 2015, 07:39 PM

Traveling during Europe's migrant crisis: http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/traveling-during-europes-migrant-crisis
     Reply #621 - September 29, 2015, 09:51 PM

Azuz and the Underground Railroad: http://latterlymagazine.com/azuz-and-the-underground-railroad/
     Reply #622 - September 30, 2015, 10:41 AM

Refugee solidarity group in Athens: https://www.facebook.com/pediontouareos?fref=nf
     Reply #623 - September 30, 2015, 03:04 PM

Lesvos - aggressive cameraman
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm5tzHyA5ME&feature=youtu.be
     Reply #624 - October 02, 2015, 10:08 AM

This report is from a couple of weeks ago but I think it sums up the dilemmas of the refugees waiting in Turkey.

https://globalvoices.org/2015/09/28/by-land-or-by-sea-refugees-trying-to-leave-turkey-face-tough-decisions/
    Amer Mohammad has a decision to make.

While refugees are camped out, protesting and demanding safe passage from Turkey to Europe, Amer must decide if he will wait and how long he will wait for an answer about his future. The United Nations and the German embassy, he says, have said it could take years for him to get paperwork to move, and there's no guarantee he will actually be allowed to go anywhere — let alone where he wants. In the meantime, he is not allowed to legally work in Turkey.

So he's joined a camp of refugees outside Istanbul's main bus terminal. They have been staging a sit-in for four days and pitched tents in the small green areas around the station. Amer estimates there were about 1,000 people in the camp on the first day; some Turkish media reports say there are now as many as 3,000 people. The refugees, mostly from Syria but also from Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan, are looking for a land route to Europe.

Many of them had been traveling by bus to Edirne, on the Greek border. But buses and taxis are refusing to take anyone to the border, and the refugees are effectively trapped. The only other way out is via sea, on a boat from İzmir.

Amer knows that 22 people drowned in the Aegean Sea on Tuesday. He might take the sea route to Europe as well. He feels desperate. Like other refugees, he cannot legally work in Turkey. His fiancée lives in Germany, he says, and he wants to join her there. The camp, he says, is controlled by security and gates. Anyone who leaves is not allowed back in.

“I told my brother, if they don't let us go, we will go to the sea,” Amer says. His brother, who is also staying near the bus station, said it's not worth the risk. “I told him that I will do that for my fiancée. If he wants to stay, he can stay.”

Amer fled Iraq in July 2014, not long after ISIS took control of the city of Ramadi. He was having tea in a garden with his family when the bombings began, destroying the apartment building in front of the house. “I have a piece of the bomb in my leg,” he says.

Like many of the refugees in Turkey, Amer gets a lot of his information on his smartphone, from news articles and discussion groups, where he also shares what he is seeing. We connected with him by phone, Facebook and the Internet chat app, Viber. He asked that we not use his surname to keep his family in Iraq safe and to be sure he does not jeopardize his chances of receiving a visa.

After arriving in Ankara, Amer registered with the UN as a refugee. He says they told him it would take until 2020 for his family to get an appointment to even be considered to be able to leave Turkey. He traveled first with his parents and two of his brothers. Two of his sisters and their families joined later. They were placed in Samsun, over 400 miles from Istanbul on the northern coast. But Amer wanted to get to Germany, so he and his brother struck out for Europe.

Another sister remains in Iraq with elderly relatives in Haditha, which has been an ISIS battleground since July.

The UN Refugee Agency says there are almost 2 million refugees from Syria in Turkey, almost half of the total number of refugees they are tracking in the region. Tens of thousands more are, like Amer, from other countries such as Iraq, Iran or Pakistan.

Another option for Amer is to wait for his appointment next April to apply for a German visa. He will need a long paper trail to show his relationship with his fiancée and his personal history, but getting the correct documents is very difficult when the offices in the city where he lived in Iraq are no longer functional. He doesn't think he can wait for an uncertain outcome. He is 25 and wants to have a life. In Iraq, before ISIS took control in the west, he got a college degree in chemistry and he and his family had good jobs.

“Because of this war, we don't have jobs. We don't have resources, you know,” he says. In Turkey, he's tried to take grueling construction jobs to make money under the table, but the conditions are poor and, without permission to work, refugees are often shortchanged by employers. He hesitates to talk about his future.

“Really, I don't know what to do. I like computers very much. I like chemistry and medicine,” Amer says.

But to start, he just wants to be with his fiancée. They met while in school in Iraq in 2010, then she went to Germany to study. She still has one year of her education to go. She and Amer have been trying to be together for a long time, he says.

They've talked about going elsewhere, but Amer says that when he sees the comments on news stories online, he thinks that Arabs are not welcome in many countries. “Ninety percent of the comments — they hate us. They think we are terrorists. Or we are coming to steal jobs from them,” he says.

Near the bus station, refugees rely on a mosque to charge their cell phones and have meals when they can. But there isn't enough food and water for everyone, Amer says. Authorities, he says, will not allow any deliveries into the camp, but many refugees do not want to disperse until they have a way to get to Greece. The Turkish Red Crescent said by email that it has distributed 3,000 units of water, 700 blankets as well as food to a camp that has sprung up in Edirne.

The governor of Edirne province said on Thursday that if the refugees there do not disperse within three days, they would like to send them to their home countries or to refugee camps in Turkey. For Amer this is not an option. Refugee camps, he says, are terrible places. Especially for families.

“We will not be in a camp. We can't be in a camp. We will not let them,” he says. Amer says someone approached him about swimming to a Greek island; he thought about it and researched, but decided it would be too risky. But he still thinks that he might board a boat, and leave his family in Turkey. If he can find someone trustworthy to help him go.

“I know it's dangerous. I don't have many things to lose. Maybe my family will lose me. I know that maybe I will not arrive. I will not make it.”

Amer keeps a flash drive in his pocket. He likes computers and graphic design. But this particular hardware has a much more macabre purpose: It holds all of his identifying information and letters to his family and friends in case his journey kills him.

“It's a message to the person who found my body. I don't know, I'm crazy.”

Winter is coming, which will make sea travel impossible soon. For the forseeable future, he says he will stay with the other refugees in Istanbul, “whatever the end, good or bad.”

“I don't know what to do. Really. Even my enemy, I don't hope for him to be in my position.”

Reply #625 - October 04, 2015, 05:18 PM

As Europe witnesses the dramatic movement of people across its borders, Panorama reporter John Sweeney joins thousands making the journey from the Greek island of Kos to the Austrian border with Hungary. He meets families fleeing conflict and terror in Syria, refugees separated from their loved ones, children, the old and sick being forced to march to safety. Among this tide of humanity, he also finds economic migrants seeking a better life in northern Europe and he asks, with winter on the way, is the crisis about to claim even more lives?

Watch on iplayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06g01kf
     Reply #626 - October 05, 2015, 04:35 PM

Greeks on Lesvos tend to a graveyard for refugees: http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-09-29/greeks-lesbos-tend-graveyard-refugees-and-migrants
     Reply #627 - October 05, 2015, 04:42 PM

Rough seas around Lesvos
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=c4V4W7ETyMc
     Reply #628 - October 05, 2015, 04:47 PM

Refugee sea arrivals in Greece this year approach 400,000: http://www.unhcr.org/560e63626.html
    UNHCR, October 2 -- The UN refugee agency said on Friday that refugee and migrant arrivals in Greece are expected to hit the 400,000 mark soon, despite adverse weather conditions. Greece remains by far the largest single entry point for new sea arrivals in the Mediterranean, followed by Italy with 131,000 arrivals so far in 2015.

With the new figures from Greece, the total number of refugees and migrants crossing the Mediterranean this year is nearly 530,000. In September, 168,000 people crossed the Mediterranean, the highest monthly figure ever recorded and almost five times the number in September 2014.
    As of this morning, a total of 396,500 people have entered Greece by sea since the beginning of the year, more than 153,000 of them in September alone. The nine-month 2015 total compares to 43,500 such arrivals in Greece in all of 2014. Ninety-seven per cent are from the world's top 10 refugee-producing countries, led by Syria (70 per cent), Afghanistan (18 per cent) and Iraq (4 per cent).

"There was a noticeable drop in sea arrivals this week, along with the change in the weather," Edwards said, adding that on Sept. 25, for example, there were some 6,600 arrivals. The next day, it dropped to around 2,200. "From an average of around 5,000 arrivals per day recently, it has fallen to some 3,300 over the past six days with just 1,500 yesterday. Nevertheless, any improvement in the weather is likely to bring another surge in sea arrivals."

The current cooler, windy weather has made the crossing from Turkey to Greece even more perilous. Yesterday, there were at least two rescue operations in waters off Lesvos. On Wednesday, there were four separate rescue operations on Lesvos in which 283 people were recovered. But the death of a woman and a young boy brought the total toll of dead and missing in Greek waters to at least 102 this year. In all, nearly 3,000 people have died or gone missing this year crossing the Mediterranean Sea.

Reply #629 - October 05, 2015, 05:17 PM

Support grassroots groups of volunteers on field #Lesvos #Pikpa  http://www.betterplace.org/p33854  Think twice before donating to NGOs...

I've noticed some of the more high profile NGOs using the European refugee crisis to raise money, but with a few exceptions I haven't seen much sign of them doing anything to help.
  • Previous page 1 ... 19 20 2122 23 ... 33 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »