Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Greek island refugee crisis

(Read 108199 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 30 31 3233 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Greek island refugee crisis
     Reply #930 - March 23, 2016, 08:13 PM

Greek baker opens his house to refugee families

Better Days for Moria pulling out of Lesvos

Save the Children suspends support services

Photos: refugees block highway to Macedonia
     Reply #931 - March 23, 2016, 08:42 PM

https://samoschronicles.wordpress.com/2016/03/23/samos-island-greece-march-21-day-2-of-the-euturkey-pact-glimpsing-the-nightmares-to-come/
    Quote from: Sofiane Ait Chalalet and Chris Jones
    Samos Island Greece: March 21: Day 2 of the EU/Turkey Pact: Glimpsing the Nightmares to Come

One of our group was walking her dog on the beach on Monday morning. It was 21 March, one day after the agreement between the EU and Turkey had come into force. From now on arriving refugees faced the prospect of being returned to Turkey.

From the beach she saw a packed refugee boat making slowly and with difficulty for the shore. Soon after, one of the German police rescue boats turned up and slowly approached the refugee boat. As it got closer the refugees became more and more agitated, some were standing and a few went over the side into the sea. They were shouting that they would not get on the patrol boat and that they were not going back to Turkey. Then a man stood up holding a child and a fuel can and began to throw the contents over himself and the people around him. Then with a cigarette lighter in his hand shouted that if the rescue boat came any nearer he would use the lighter. The German boat backed off with the crew trying to re-assure the refugees that they were there to help them and not to return them to Turkey. Then the patrol boat lowered a very small inflatable with 2 policemen and they slowly approached the refugee boat and eventually passed a rope. With this the inflatable towed the refugees to the shore. There were 52 Syrian refugees in the boat of whom about a third were young children.

The German policemen from the dinghy were distressed when they landed and one of them just lay on the beach, crying, saying over and over again, that this wasn’t what he was trained to do; he was here to save lives, not to be seen as a threat and danger to the refugees. Some of the refugees saw this and went over to comfort and thank him. It was a very moving scene.

There was no evidence that the contents thrown from the can was petrol. There was no danger that the refugees would have been incinerated but at the time this was not known.

It is distressing to think that episodes like this, with deadly consequences for the refugees are more likely now with the EU/Turkey pact. We know from arriving refugees that the Turkish police and army are now regularly harassing and attacking refugees waiting to cross over and that even when on the sea the chance of push back by the Turkish coastguards is greater than ever before. All this is being sanctioned by the pact and indeed Turkey is under pressure to slow down and even stop the refugee traffic to the Greek frontier islands.

Of course refugees are going to resist. Making it to Samos has always been expensive, difficult and dangerous for refugees. It has now become more so. But it is the almost unfathomable desperation which fuels many in their determination to get to Greece. If you make it, you are not going to give up the ‘prize’ easily. Who knows what forms their resistance will take in the future but what happened on Monday gives some indication of where their desperation might lead.

The extent to which the pact has any chance of being implemented is going to fall on the shoulders of a range of state and possibly, NGO agencies and their workers. The NGOs have played a major role in sustaining and helping refugees over the past 6 months on Samos. It is not clear if this will continue not the least because the EU seems prepared for the NGOs to withdraw if they do not accept the new policies. The pact marks a clear punitive shift to the arriving refugees. This is more than evident in the locking of the Samos camp on Monday 21st March. The gates are now locked closed. The refugees are incarcerated. Mamoud, who features in ‘Reasons for Leaving’ phoned Tuesday morning from the camp. He and all the Pakistani refugees are now locked in. They are being told nothing but they know they are being seen as a special group. The lack of information is ‘killing us’ he said. ‘It is the worse thing’.They fear being returned to Turkey. They feel powerless. They are depressed. They are frustrated and they feel utterly isolated from any support.

Closed camps and desperate refugees is an explosive mixture. We are fearful for the refugees in Samos camp. It has never been a safe place but it is now being made more dangerous each day the lock-down continues. And be sure the attacks in Brussels and Paris (although not Ankara and Istanbul) are going to harden the punitive resolve of the authorities towards the refugees.”There is an urgent need to strengthen the external borders of the European Union,” Mr Valls [French prime minister] told French radio, adding that heightened vigilance was required to stop people crossing into Europe with false passports, as the group known as Islamic State has “stolen a large number of passports in Syria” (March 23,BBC News).

There are many consequences of incarceration – all bad – and one wonders for how much longer a rescue boat crew can tell newly arriving refugees that they are there to help and not to hurt them. Saving them from the sea and then taking them to the hell of a closed camp and processing for deportation challenges any sense of the meaning of helpful. And when it comes to the NGOs working on Samos, such as Medecin sans Frontieres (MSF) and Save the Children, these dilemmas are magnified given that they often have clear principles which forbid them from co-operating or assisting with the mandatory incarceration of refugees. But if they withdraw, what then for the refugees?

These are the first days of the pact. Most of the resources and personnel needed to implement the pact are not on the island yet. At this moment, we expect business as usual by which we mean confusion, chaos and constant shifts in practice. The NGOs are unhappy but they have not yet had time to work out a response. The same applies to all the activist and voluntary groups who face the challenge of how to help the refugees without colluding with incarceration and deportations. And also fundamentally how to help the refugees when the gates to the camp are locked.

But the locking of the camp sends out a clear signal.

Reply #932 - March 23, 2016, 09:02 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/owebb/status/712631542577807360
    Greek authorities are going to struggle to look after the maybe thousands of people inside Moria now MSF, @theIRC and UNHCR have pulled out

@owebb According to their spokespersons, UNHCR are still active inside. Just stopped transporting to/from

@ingbertelsen ah ok. Yes, in their statement, apart from transport, it wasn't clear what their role was/would remain

@owebb Yes, they are doing exactly the same as before, except for the transport. They presented this as a big change, and media bought it

@owebb But also, since these camps probably will hold people until they are are returned - this may be a change in UNHCR's policies >

@owebb > They have earlier abstained from being present in detention camps of the pre-removal category

Reply #933 - March 24, 2016, 11:53 AM

HRW: humanitarian crisis at Athens port
     Reply #934 - March 24, 2016, 05:56 PM

Oxfam pulls out of Moria camp
     Reply #935 - April 05, 2016, 10:50 AM

Lesvos: abuses by British Frontex forces (I take it they're part of the UK Border Force)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=53wxPGMfmbk&feature=youtu.be
    So the Greece deportations are going ‘smoothly’? Take a closer look
     Reply #936 - April 08, 2016, 04:31 PM

Chios last night: Golden Dawn nazis, the police and the mayor acting together against Syrian refugees occupying the port.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kbxKE96MP1Y&ebc=ANyPxKqGhryqbkmALIOVbBchodhyFgaVi-V8LBnTcQ7RQ79W9PD-Jm4t3qYXPa1s5redK6MhXsO0jEnoKynm9ZwBIHUQjz9n_g
     Reply #937 - April 11, 2016, 02:47 PM

Idomeni
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Hb_Hdjy4CVw
     Reply #938 - April 15, 2016, 10:55 AM

Papal visit to Lesvos

https://datelineatlantis.wordpress.com/2016/04/15/get-your-schism-on/
    The Papal visit commemorative print-out-and-keep guide to the Eastern and Western Christian churches.

Reply #939 - April 15, 2016, 01:45 PM

'I'd rather die than be sent to Turkey' — Why Pakistani migrants prefer Greece's hellish camps

Hi zeca  and friends who are in to the subject of people's migration in to west from so-called  third world countries..   could you please read that link air your opinion on it??

Thanks... 

well let me read this on the way.....Pakistanis among 200 migrants deported to Turkey by Greece

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #940 - April 15, 2016, 03:14 PM

Well being sent back to Turkey is almost certainly the first step to being sent back to Pakistan. Deportations of Pakistanis and North Africans were already happening on a small scale before the EU-Turkey agreement came into force. I think the deportations that have happened since the agreement have been a bit of a PR exercise, mostly involving people who would have been up for deportation anyway. It seems to have had the desired effect as the numbers now making the crossing are much lower. Around 90 per cent of refugees/migrants on the islands are from Syria, Iraq or Afghanistan and so have obvious claims to asylum in Greece, and almost all of them have now made a claim. As the Greek asylum system is hopelessly understaffed and the EU for the most part has failed to provide the additional staff that were promised it could be a long time before cases are decided. The Pakistanis should have every right legal right to make a claim as well but in practice they don't seem to have been given the chance. This is quite illegal but there's no sign that the EU cares. The UNHCR is very much involved at the same time as making a show of opposition to the agreement.
     Reply #941 - April 16, 2016, 11:10 AM

Leaflet handed out during the Pope's visit to Lesvos
     Reply #942 - April 19, 2016, 09:45 AM

'I'd rather die than be sent to Turkey' — Why Pakistani migrants prefer Greece's hellish camps

Hi zeca  and friends who are in to the subject of people's migration in to west from so-called  third world countries..   could you please read that link air your opinion on it??

Thanks... 

well let me read this on the way.....Pakistanis among 200 migrants deported to Turkey by Greece

Human Rights Watch on the first round of deportations
     Reply #943 - April 21, 2016, 10:01 AM

IOM confirms reports of hundreds killed in latest Mediterranean shipwreck tragedy
     Reply #944 - April 24, 2016, 11:34 PM

The Occupied Times - Migration Maps
     Reply #945 - April 26, 2016, 03:40 PM

Map: Did your MP vote against allowing 3,000 Syrian child refugees into the UK?
     Reply #946 - May 08, 2016, 07:08 PM

Welcome to the City Plaza: Greece’s refugee hotel

Photos from City Plaza
     Reply #947 - May 08, 2016, 07:12 PM

Influx of refugees leads to cricket boom in Germany
     Reply #948 - June 01, 2016, 09:03 AM

A refugee’s story: Salafists have come to radicalise us
    Recently there’s been a disquieting development around the camps in Athens. I was approached by men with English accents who introduced themselves in a friendly manner.

They asked if I was Sunni (most Syrians are) and when I asked why they needed to know, they said that they wanted to talk about faith.

They were Salafists (an extremist, intolerant interpretation of Sunni Islam) from the north of England and wanted to convince people in the camps to adopt their views.

I was angry. We are fleeing the consequences of just such madness. I and my friends and those thousands of others with us in Athens – Sunni, Alawite, Christian, Yazidi – want no part of any movement or sect that dresses hatred in the cloth of religion.

We had an angry exchange. I was not polite when I told them to leave.

Others have had similar experiences. Some talked of having seen a Selafist group on the islands. Those who are promulgating extreme Islamist views in Europe mistakenly see the camps as rich soil in which to plant dissent and sow sectarian intolerance among migrants despairing of a new life.

We’ve largely empty days, too much time to think and perhaps those groups hope those more devout than I could fall prey to the idea that the West has abandoned them and that what remains is to dedicate yourself to literalist, selective, tenets of your faith.

It’s shocking. It is real however, and I worry about yet one more threat around us when most of us had hoped to leave sectarian divisions behind when we boarded the dinghies that brought us to Europe.

Reply #949 - June 03, 2016, 03:13 PM

The forgotten story of European refugee camps in the Middle East
     Reply #950 - September 06, 2016, 04:08 PM

Patrick Kingsley on conditions for refugees stranded in Greece
     Reply #951 - September 28, 2016, 10:17 AM

Yiannis Baboulias on the fire at Moria and the current situation on the islands
     Reply #952 - September 28, 2016, 10:57 AM

why are you posting up news artivels and not expressing any opinions about them?

The unreligion, only one calorie
     Reply #953 - September 28, 2016, 01:15 PM

German police shoot dead knife-wielding refugee during attack on Pakistani

BERLIN: German police shot dead a knife-wielding Iraqi in a refugee shelter who was attacking a Pakistani he suspected of having sexually abused his young daughter, police said Wednesday.

The 29-year-old Iraqi died after being hit by several police bullets late Tuesday in the asylum seekers' shelter in the central Berlin district of Moabit.

Pakistani boy gang-raped in Greek migrant camp: police

ATHENS: Four Pakistani minors have been arrested for allegedly gang-raping a 16-year-old boy in a Greek migrant camp, police said Wednesday.

“The four minors, aged 16 to 17, will appear before a prosecutor today,” a police source told AFP. The victim is also Pakistani.

The incident occurred on Sunday in the camp of Moria on the island of Lesbos.

Greece is accommodating over 60,000 refugees and migrants stuck in the country after a succession of Balkan and EU states shut their borders earlier this year.

Many of the camps are grossly overpopulated,...

16, 17 year olds raping 16 year old...   well that is the news from  Europe's refugee camps   read it all at the links..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #954 - October 24, 2016, 10:45 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=INkT00ewy48&feature=youtu.be
    It was perhaps the most fitting finale that the people of Lesvos did not receive the Nobel Peace Prize earlier this month. Not because they did not deserve it for showing such dignity and solidarity in these selfish and unsettling times, but because the help, warmth and care that they did provide was done so selflessly.

“For the people who we saved, we’re heroes. For them,” fisherman Thanassis Marmarinos told the documentary makers. “Personally, I don’t feel like a hero. Why would I? I did what I had to do. Any person would do the same”

“What else can you do? You can’t stand by and watch when things like this can happen,” said fisherman Stratis Valiamos, who was also nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, which in the end was awarded to Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos.

“Tomorrow that could be me. Tomorrow I might have to get a boat and leave, and have my baby on board. Wherever I’d end up, I’d want someone there to help me,” added Valiamos.

Read the report: http://www.macropolis.gr/?i=portal.en.the-agora.4578
     Reply #955 - October 30, 2016, 05:55 PM

Some posts from the Samos Chronicles blog

Reflections on a Crazy Summer; Samos Island 2015

SNAFU and its Consequences for Refugees on Samos

Cricket on Samos
     Reply #956 - November 02, 2016, 11:03 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/01/syrian-refugees-tricked-into-returning-to-turkey-greece-eu
    A group of Syrian refugees including a couple with four young children detained in Turkey say they were tricked into being deported from Greece last month without having their asylum claims processed.

In the first case of its kind since the start of the EU-Turkey migration pact, at least eight Syrians were allegedly sent back to Turkey in October despite lodging asylum claims in Greece.

The allegations weaken the legal basis for the EU-Turkey deal, which was reached in March on the assumption that all refugees arriving in Greece would have access to a fair asylum procedure.

According to documents shared by the applicants with the Guardian, the refugees were initially given the chance to apply for asylum after landing in Greece on 9 October.

But 11 days later, before their applications were fully processed, they say they were tricked by EU and Greek officials into returning to Turkey.

“I never knew I was [going to be] deported to Turkey,” said Lawand Haji Mohamad, a 33-year-old from Kobani, Syria, who arrived in Greece with his wife and four children, all aged under five.

Instead, police told his family that they were being flown to the Greek mainland. “The policemen said leave your dinner, get your stuff, we will take you to a police station for the night and [then] tomorrow morning to Athens,” Haji Mohamad said by phone from a detention camp in southern Turkey called Düziçi.

After boarding a plane with officials from the Greek government and the EU border agency, Frontex, the Syrians say they were not provided with any further information. The first time they had any inkling that they were being deported against their will was on arrival at Adana, Turkey.

“When we arrived and saw the Turkish flag we were shocked,” said Haji Mohamad. “We trusted the police but they tricked us and I don’t have any idea why.”

For nearly a fortnight since, they have been detained in Düziçi. “We are in a very bad situation,” a second Syrian from a different family said by telephone from the camp. “The children are all very ill; the little ones have breathing problems. Please help us.”

Some of the Syrians are from Kobani, the Kurdish town that was briefly the centre of western attention after it was largely destroyed in battles with Isis.

In an emailed statement, the Greek government said it was examining the claims. A Frontex spokesperson confirmed that EU officials were onboard the flight, but said Frontex could not be blamed for any mistakes. “All return decisions are issued by the national authorities,” said the spokesperson. “Our role is to provide means of transport, trained escorts, translators and medical personnel.”

The UN refugee agency says it is concerned by the situation. Amnesty International fears the case could be part of a wider attempt to remove Syrians from Europe “at any cost”, in contravention of EU and international law.
    John Dalhuisen, Europe director for Amnesty, said: “This is at best incompetence, and at worst a cynical attempt by authorities, under ever-growing pressure from the European Union, to remove Syrian refugees from the country at any cost. It needs to be urgently investigated, the refugees permitted to return to Greece and their relocation to other EU member states considered.”

Reply #957 - November 02, 2016, 11:17 AM

Refugee reception centres in Athens set up by the Syrian Revolutionary Left Current. I haven't seen these mentioned before and maybe it doesn't fit in with the usual narratives about Syrian refugees.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DarthNader/status/793662616862425088

Edit: from this they seem to be same as the Athens refugee squats:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mariamjxde/status/793559293773619207

https://mobile.twitter.com/mariamjxde/status/793821906432565248

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=k-26Dnvu5Ec
    Time report on the City Plaza squat: http://time.com/4501017/greek-anarchists-are-finding-space-for-refugees-in-abandoned-hotels/
     Reply #958 - December 12, 2016, 02:24 PM

https://samoschronicles.wordpress.com/2016/10/31/refugees-tourism-and-islamophobia-on-samos/
    From the political right to the far left, from NGOs to most but not all European governments, from the EU to the UN there is unanimity about the inhuman conditions faced by refugees caught in the border camps. It is the one issue where there is some kind of agreement. On islands such as Samos, the various anti-refugee voices all cite these conditions as one of their reasons for wanting to see refugees moved off the island, within 72 hours of arrival if possible. Samos SOS which is planning a demonstration against the refugees in Vathi today (October 30th) in co-operation with the local Chamber of Commerce made this argument as well as stating that on no account would they accept a permanent Muslim minority on the island.

But the key issue which unites Samos SOS with the Chamber of Commerce is the now taken for granted argument on Samos that the refugees, largely Muslim, have deeply damaged tourism on the island. Whilst they remain then tourism will never recover. So it is ironic to say the least that many tourist businesses represented in the Chamber of Commerce are trying to attract more Turkish tourists and indeed have them to thank for preventing a difficult tourist season from becoming a catastrophe. 2016 saw a 68% increase in Turkish tourists compared to 2015 with nearly 30,000 arrivals and an even bigger spike during the Eid festivities in October which are not yet included in the statistics. In the tourist village of Manolates the tourist shop keepers admitted that after a slow start to the season in May, this summer was no worse than 2015 saved by the increase in Turkish visitors, who incidentally are welcomed as they travel around the island and spend more money than most other nationalities.

Even so the contest between anti-islamic bigotry and money continues on Samos. This week a meeting was called in the sea side village of Agios Konstantinos to demand that the village should be refugee and Muslim free. The meeting however gathered little support which quickly evaporated when a local businessman arrived to denounce his fellow villagers as stupid for turning their back on what might be a valuable source of sustainable income. ‘Our hotels and bars are empty. If the refugees come with money we should welcome them’.

Driving through Samos town yesterday evening we saw many refugees out on the streets. There must have been at least 10 groups of young men and boys fishing along the sea wall. (We had learnt from the refugees at the cricket matches that fishing was now increasingly popular not just because it passed time but because they were catching some decent fish which were then cooked and eaten in the camp.) The children’s play areas were also busy with young refugee families having fun with their kids. There were small groups of young mothers walking and talking with toddlers in push chairs. The shops were closed so their general lack of money was not such an issue for them, and the refugees clearly outnumbered the locals. Quite simply we found the atmosphere to be wonderful. Like many, we are furious and saddened by the treatment of the refugees on Samos nevertheless it is not hell all of the time. Friendships and relationships have developed; people hang out together, cook and eat together, laugh and joke and support each other. On evenings such as last night you realise that in their lived reality as well as in their diversity refugees are not easy to demonise when they are around you, laughing and playing on the streets and by the sea. It is much easier for the system to lie about the refugees – as terrorists, as disease carriers, as religious fanatics ……. when you can’t see them.

Intimidation on Lesvos: https://www.facebook.com/philippa.kempson.1/posts/10154421452904355
     Reply #959 - December 20, 2016, 04:38 PM

https://samoschronicles.wordpress.com/2016/12/14/an-end-of-year-letter-from-samos/
    An End of Year Letter from Samos

Dear Friends,

We are sorry that we have not posted anything from Samos over these past few weeks. The mood for writing has not been there.

In large measure this has been caused by an overwhelming sense of sadness which hangs like a thunder cloud over this beautiful island. It is a cloud that affects us all. There are many elements which feed this cloud. There is the crazy global context with its political strategies which promote division, hate and suspicion, fracturing humanity at the very time when it needs to be more united to confront the greed and profit which drives humanity to destruction as the earth is plundered.

If this is not bad enough on Samos we have the plight of the refugees and the plight of most of the people living here who continue to endure the consequences of seven years of economic decline and austerity. It is no exaggeration to claim that a large part of the island’s population live on the edge of catastrophe. Yesterday for example our neighbour was told that unless she has urgent heart surgery she will be dead within a month. For this she will have to go to Athens. And she will need to pay 4,000 euros. Yet she and her family have nothing. A month ago the island’s hospital had no hot water for a week. The list is endless.

And for both refugees and islanders there is no glimmer of hope; of things getting any better. This hopelessness is a killer. It always is, but what has been particularly devastating has been the experience of a Syriza government. There was so much hope that things would improve under a clean Syriza administration. All these dreams are now ashes. Whether any lessons have been learnt about the profound limitations of electoral politics remains an open question.

As for the refugees on Samos it is much the same misery as ever before, except now winter is here so there are now very cold and wet days. Today it is sunny but it is zero degrees outside. Not good for camping, as many do in the hotspot! The situation is pretty well summarised by the refugees who tell us that the 2 words that they will always associate with being held in the Camp are WAIT and Malaka (which means wanker, useless, loser).

From what we can see, there is now widespread agreement from the EU Commission downwards, that the conditions in the island hotspots on Samos, Lesbos, Chios and others are deplorable. They are not safe, they are not healthy, there is no adequate provision for vulnerable refugees, the food is inadequate……….. and so on and so on. There is absolutely no need for more reports to be published or inquiries to be launched. The library is full of reports all of which say pretty much the same. Naming and shaming has its part to play in exposing the system’s inhumanities but if the hotspots on the Greek frontier islands are anything to go by, it is a profound error to think that such exposures result in any positive change or action.

However, particularly those refugees who have been stuck on Samos since March 2016, will tell you that the one of the most obvious changes over the months of their detention has been the growth in the numbers of people ‘working’ in the camp. Michael, a 50 year old Palestinian refugee who has been here with his family since June noted how the numbers of cars now parked out on the approach road to the Camp have multiplied. “I counted over 120 cars and motor bikes this morning. There seem to be more week by week. But what are all these people doing? I have no idea except I see a lot of people sitting around drinking coffee.” Michael is not alone in wondering what the hell is going on. Why with so many people are they still waiting months to get processed? Or as Abdul from Morocco observed, “there is lot of money being spent here. On hire cars, more police, more people employed in the camp, but none of it seems to get to us. I am still sleeping in a tent and the Camp is a disgusting place to live.”

Fights, hassles and confrontations amongst the refugees are commonplace now. Over the past 2 weeks for example, we have seen 2 Pakistani refugees who play cricket with us twice a week, turn up with stitches in head wounds as a result of being attacked by other refugees with iron bars. Most of these fights erupt around meal times and are a direct consequence of the inhuman way refugees are provided with their food. Given the frustrations and conditions of the refugees it is remarkable that there have not been more serious eruptions of rage and destruction. Nevertheless, the fights are making life more stressful for many refugees.

Although it is not difficult to understand why such violence erupts there has been no serious attempt to identify how key aspects of the management of the refugees in the hotspot is one of the root causes. The inordinate delays, the lack of information, the failure to treat refugees with any respect are primary causes of frustration but it is made much worse by the crude prioritisation of one group over another. Again and again you will hear refugees tell you that the reason they are stuck on Samos for so long is because the system is only concerned with the Syrian refugees. They say these are given the top priority. There is no disagreement about the Syrians’ position at the top of the pecking order but who comes next depends upon who you talk with. Yesterday a group of Iranian refugees told us that there was no doubt in their minds that they were at the bottom, and the Pakistanis will tell you the same, as will the north Africans. As for the Algerians it is now the case that they are regarded as the most ‘delinquent’ as the Greek migration minister put it last week, and sadly this view is also held by many including some refugees. The Algerians, overwhelming male, tend to be one of the groups who do not accept being pushed around by the authorities. Some resist – they demand, they get into the faces of the police, they don’t give up – and for their troubles they have been scapegoated. On Samos at least, the Algerian refugees are the most common victims of arbitrary arrest and detention in the police cells.

Dealing with the refugee population by their nationality has long been the preferred method of the system here. But it is clear that this is a crude measure and also extremely divisive and not the least cruel. Anything like a humane refugee policy would have in place a triage system that would make an attempt to assess the needs of all the refugees not withstanding where they came from. This is absent so there are refugees here on Samos who have escaped from deadly violence, torture and perpetual fear but because they are not from Syria are simply neglected and ignored for months. Daily people detained in the Camp are pleading to be seen, to be heard, but are turned away told that they cannot be seen now because they are dealing with the Syrians. Then they will see to the Iraqis, then…… and so on. The resentment caused by this approach is very deep. We can’t count the number of times we have heard young Pakistanis ask are we not human too? But the reality for the Syrians is not so great either. Yesterday Ahmed a young Syrian man told us that his asylum application had been turned down. He had escaped from Aleppo. All his family and all of his friends who had remained in Aleppo were now dead. His friend, who traveled with him from Aleppo has had his application accepted. Ahmed was told that his rejection was on the grounds that Turkey is a safe place for him and he should return there for processing! Being Syrian guarantees you nothing.

Despite their diversity the refugees have far more in common with one another than their differences. Yet this commonality is constantly being eroded and undermined with some refugees now blaming others for their plight. Many will rightly point out that this is a classic divide and rule approach and works to the system’s advantage. It is and it does, but it flows from cluelessness rather than intelligence.

In contrast there has been no let up in the efforts to encourage the locals to blame the refugees as the principal reason why things are so bad for them on Samos. They are held to be responsible for the on going decline of tourism and for more generally ‘unsettling’ the population by their presence. As one young Greek student from Karlovassi told us yesterday, he could never see Samos welcoming refugees and encouraging them to settle here even though he personally could see how a settlement of refugees on the island could rejuvenate and benefit the whole community. According to Vasili, too many here believe that the refugees are too different from the Greeks and they would not be accepted.

Some of the comments above came during a music concert for refugee solidarity that was held on Sunday December 11th in Vathi. It was one of the most positive events of 2016 in Samos for it was one of the few times this year when both refugees and locals came together to share food and music and enjoy themselves. The turn out was impressive and the music made by refugee and locals playing and singing together was beautiful. It was an event that pushed back at the sadness which dominates so much of life here and was alive with possibilities. We could hear many people talking about organising further and bigger events and building on the confidence gained from this concert. Laughing, singing, relaxing, eating together is always positive and now when so much effort is directed to dividing us and building hatreds activities such as these taken on even more importance. As we heard from local people at the concert much damage has been already done. One coffee bar worker told us that she had customers who would regard her as a traitor simply by coming to the concert. Yet she continued, if only these people would stand still for a moment and think about the situation they would or should realise that the locals of Samos as victims of monumental injustice share much in common with the refugees here. She was under no illusion that this would be easy!

The dark cloud remains but there are moments when the sun shines through and many of us here, refugees, locals, volunteers/activists alike can take some comfort and hope.

Finally, please don’t forget us. Many here, refugees and islanders feel abandoned and forgotten.

• Previous page 1 ... 30 31 3233 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »