Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Do I really need to know Islam inside out to renounce it?

(Read 2497 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Do I really need to know Islam inside out to renounce it?
     OP - June 08, 2015, 07:02 PM

Hello guys,

I grew up in a Pakistani household. We are sunni muslims, and I was obviously raised as one.  I wasn't a zealous muslim, but I always believed in Islam as the ultimate truth, and had the utmost respect for Muhammad and anyone (remotely) attached to him. I never thought I'd loose my faith, its was unthinkable. But the thing is, like most muslims at the time, I did not know much about my faith.

But back then, there were not as many apologists around, who could sugarcoat things for you. So as I entered adulthood, I started having doubts about certain aspects of Islam, and no one could really answer my questions. I questioned hell and paradise, and why the description of both sounded so human (for a lack of a better word), I could not fathom that this could be how an omniscient god would describe them.

I also started to question why the perfect message (Islam) conveyed in the perfect manner (Quran) by the perfect being (Allah) would not yield good results for those who adhered to the message. Looking at the complete mess the muslim world was, heavy on misogyny, bigotry, persecution of minorities, basically no contribution to science and technology for several centuries, and much more, and I started to question it all even more.

Yes, I do know some basic stuff, and even some stuff that can perhaps be classified "intermediate" level, such as Muhammed condoning, sanctioning and practicing rape of female prisoners of war, or the ambiguous nature of  the quran, how Muhammad would use Allah to his own gain, the silly stories in Quran (such as the one of Suleiman) etc. But I have never taken time to fully study Islam inside out. I just don't have the will, nor the time.

But is it necessary for me to know the religion inside out to renounce it? Its not like I studied it thoroughly when it was first imposed on me? Nor do I have thorough knowledge of Hinduism or Christianity, yet I don't believe in those religions either. Fact is, its just too obvious that Islam is man made, for me to take it seriously. Therefore I'm not going to bother to sit down and gain deep knowledge about what is basically myths and nonsense. I know enough to justify why I left the religion, and I'm able to carry a conversation with muslims, without being persuaded to believe in Islam again.

Anyone else who share my sentiments on this, or am I in minority on this? I just don't find Islam that interesting.
     Reply #1 - June 08, 2015, 07:03 PM

Btw, I was born and raised in the west, not Pakistan. Also have to add, I prefer not to reveal too many personal details, therefore my introduction wasn't really about me on personal level. Sorry.
     Reply #2 - June 08, 2015, 08:06 PM

I definitely share your sentiments on this. You don't need too much ammunition in my opinion. Just go on the offensive on a a problem with Islam that you understand well, for example my own is gross inequality between men and women which doesn't fit with modern society.

From there you really don't need to know about all the other stuff, although if you were born into it then you'll always have a good background.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #3 - June 08, 2015, 09:46 PM

Hello guys,

I grew up in a Pakistani household. We are sunni muslims, and I was obviously raised as one.  I wasn't a zealous muslim, but I always believed in Islam as the ultimate truth, and had the utmost respect for Muhammad and anyone (remotely) attached to him. I never thought I'd loose my faith, its was unthinkable. But the thing is, like most muslims at the time, I did not know much about my faith.

But back then, there were not as many apologists around, who could sugarcoat things for you. So as I entered adulthood, I started having doubts about certain aspects of Islam, and no one could really answer my questions. I questioned hell and paradise, and why the description of both sounded so human (for a lack of a better word), I could not fathom that this could be how an omniscient god would describe them.

I also started to question why the perfect message (Islam) conveyed in the perfect manner (Quran) by the perfect being (Allah) would not yield good results for those who adhered to the message. Looking at the complete mess the muslim world was, heavy on misogyny, bigotry, persecution of minorities, basically no contribution to science and technology for several centuries, and much more, and I started to question it all even more.

Yes, I do know some basic stuff, and even some stuff that can perhaps be classified "intermediate" level, such as Muhammed condoning, sanctioning and practicing rape of female prisoners of war, or the ambiguous nature of  the quran, how Muhammad would use Allah to his own gain, the silly stories in Quran (such as the one of Suleiman) etc. But I have never taken time to fully study Islam inside out. I just don't have the will, nor the time.

But is it necessary for me to know the religion inside out to renounce it? Its not like I studied it thoroughly when it was first imposed on me? Nor do I have thorough knowledge of Hinduism or Christianity, yet I don't believe in those religions either. Fact is, its just too obvious that Islam is man made, for me to take it seriously. Therefore I'm not going to bother to sit down and gain deep knowledge about what is basically myths and nonsense. I know enough to justify why I left the religion, and I'm able to carry a conversation with muslims, without being persuaded to believe in Islam again.

Anyone else who share my sentiments on this, or am I in minority on this? I just don't find Islam that interesting.

No it is not necessary to know a religion inside and out. There are thousands of religions, most no longer practiced, which people know nothing about outside academia. This includes most religious experts within their own religion; clerics, priests, etc. There are only a handful of people which have knowledge of multiple religions let alone all religions. Such a standard is impossible to meet for those in academia let alone the average person.

If people are pressuring you with arguments just tell them you will consider what they have said and leave it at that. This way those pressuring you hear what they want to hear and you are left alone. Most people are looking for confirmation of their own beliefs from others.
     Reply #4 - June 16, 2015, 06:51 PM

I'm not really being pressured, because I'm not out in the open. Don't think I will ever declare my apostasy officially, because I don't see any benefits with that. But I was thinking of how you are often told that to leave Islam you pretty much either need a phd in it yourself, or you need to consult someone with phd in it, before you're apostasy will be acceptable. But when you join Islam, all you need is indoctrination or say a few magical words.
     Reply #5 - June 16, 2015, 07:05 PM

Yup! Double standards! In Judaism it takes like 2 yrs to go through a process of learning before accepted as Jewish.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »