Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Can Religion be a force of Good?

(Read 6917 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Can Religion be a force of Good?
     Reply #30 - June 01, 2015, 04:25 PM

My daughters name was Huda btw. Just wanted to say.

far away hug
     Reply #31 - June 01, 2015, 04:32 PM

hugs @lua hm
     Reply #32 - June 01, 2015, 04:35 PM

I was pretty much an atheist...

Reminds me of that quote from The Departed, “Years ago we had the church. That was only a way of saying - we had each other.”

A good friend of mine does a Santa gig during the holidays. He’s a big, burly guy – the type you wouldn’t mind having on your side during a bar fight – but he truly has a heart of gold. The stories he can tell you about visiting families with children who are battling cancer, or children who just lost a parent, or children struggling with any other hardships life unfairly throws their way, are truly, truly heartwarming.

Those kids actually believe he is Santa. And for all practical purposes, he really is Santa. He plays that role of the warm, comforting figure that brings them moments of joy during the holidays. As he told me his stories, I told him, “Man, you’ve actually made me believe in Santa. I’d hate to live in a world that didn’t have the sort of magic you can bring to people who need it.”

And honestly, if that was all religion did, then I’d be all for it. It’s the rest of the crap that comes along with it – the guilt, the repression, the hatred – that makes it so harmful. And of course, not all religions are the same. Knowing what the most popular strands of Islam can do to a person who seriously internalizes them, I can’t help but remain wary of the benefits.

I think that spiritualizing agnosticism is also a healthy thing. It doesn’t have to be this stone cold, heartless, “there is nothing out there” attitude. A humble admission that we actually don’t know what happens to people when they die, that bad does not ultimately have a purpose, and that this life really is immensely valuable is, in my opinion, a good thing.
     Reply #33 - June 01, 2015, 05:12 PM

^^^ Thanks

My daughters name was Huda btw. Just wanted to say.

far away hug

was she very young ?
     Reply #34 - June 01, 2015, 05:20 PM

far away hug Hassan, suki.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #35 - June 01, 2015, 05:23 PM

As Quod said "they're in a better place" - "they are at peace" "it was meant to be" or even more overt religious references which are said to comfort such as she is with god or in paradise with the angels etc…

Saying such things doesn't betray your atheism asbie it just means you have human feelings and empathy and are not an arsehole.

I try to offer my condolences without using those phrases, especially ones with overt religious tones. Probably because I'm an idiot.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #36 - June 01, 2015, 05:30 PM

Yes she was just a week old - but she was perfect.  Thanks all hugs
     Reply #37 - June 01, 2015, 05:31 PM

I try to offer my condolences without using those phrases, especially ones with overt religious tones. Probably because I'm an idiot.

You're not an idiot. And I'm sure you would handle it just fine Smiley
     Reply #38 - June 01, 2015, 06:33 PM

huh! what ? why? asbie.,  

Damn internet stupid connection sucks..  I don't care what you say asbie., I don't care what all of you guys think...

I will not go back to old modem connection..  finmad finmad   I WILL NOT GO BACK TO ANY FUCKING RELIGIONS......   just golden rule is good enough for me...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #39 - June 01, 2015, 09:10 PM

Reminds me of that quote from The Departed, “Years ago we had the church. That was only a way of saying - we had each other.”

Grin Yeah, it was kind of precisely like that. I need to learn some brevity.

As for the rest, you're absolutely right, as always. And well put.  yes
     Reply #40 - June 01, 2015, 11:46 PM

Only read your sad news just now Hassan, sorry to hear that.  far away hug
     Reply #41 - June 02, 2015, 12:11 AM

Grin Yeah, it was kind of precisely like that. I need to learn some brevity.

Never, ever change, lua.  Smiley
     Reply #42 - June 02, 2015, 09:25 AM

Hassan, suki, so sorry to hear you have both lost little ones.
     far away hug
     Reply #43 - June 02, 2015, 12:03 PM

I remember you made a youtube video about the daughter you lost a few years ago didn't you hass?  far away hug
     Reply #44 - June 02, 2015, 01:31 PM

Never, ever change, lua.  Smiley

001_wub
     Reply #45 - June 02, 2015, 04:17 PM

And Suki, I just saw from SCM's post the same thing happened you, sorry for your loss too. Man I really need to look at these threads properly. far away hug
     Reply #46 - June 02, 2015, 07:02 PM

^Oh no, it wasn't on the same level as Hassan's experience..  but thankyou though DT    : )

oh and SCM..

xxx
     Reply #47 - June 04, 2015, 07:15 PM

I have lost a child ..................

dear suki., it is life., it is human life.,    "there is  no end to grief and there is no end to love." , but somewhere somehow  we have to end it.,   I did it.  I am sure every  one will do it  in their life time. What all we can do in this life  is cherish the   moments when we were together with the loved ones whom we lost forever.

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #48 - June 04, 2015, 07:35 PM

I think it can be. I mean sometimes it's not the religion but the people in the religion
     Reply #49 - June 05, 2015, 05:09 AM

dear suki., it is life., it is human life.,    "there is  no end to grief and there is no end to love." , but somewhere somehow  we have to end it.,   I did it.  I am sure every  one will do it  in their life time. What all we can do in this life  is cherish the   moments when we were together with the loved ones whom we lost forever.

with best wishes
    yeezevee

thanks Yeezevee..

far away hug
     Reply #50 - June 05, 2015, 06:07 PM

Hi Saki, so sorry to hear about Hadu's short life.  Your grief at her death must be quite miserable. I hope in time you'll come to peace with that grief . Then the wonderful moments of her short life can take there proper place in your heart. far away hug

If at first you succeed...try something harder.

Failing isn't falling down. Failing is not getting back up again.
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »