Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Women barred from voting in parts of Pakistan

(Read 5127 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Women barred from voting in parts of Pakistan
     OP - May 29, 2015, 12:09 PM

How depressing...
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/29/women-barred-voting-pakistan-khyber-pakhtunkh

Women barred from voting in parts of Pakistan

Parties strike deals before district council elections in Khyber Pakhtunkh province, and court rejects complaint over byelection

In some of the most socially conservative regions of Pakistan this weekend’s local government elections will be men-only affairs.

Local politicians and elders say parties contesting elections for district and village council seats in Hangu and parts of Malakand, districts of the north-western province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP), have struck deals barring women from voting.

There are fears of similar arrangements across KP, a province bordering Afghanistan where many Pashtun communities observe purdah traditions so strict that many female candidates do not publish photographs on election posters.

The cultural difficulties are often compounded by dire security in areas where the Taliban and other militant groups are active.

In a parliamentary byelection in Lower Dir this month, none of the eligible 50,000 women in the constituency turned out to vote. One report said mosques broadcast warnings to women, and polling stations were guarded by “baton-wielding men” who blocked the few women who did try to vote....

Reply #1 - May 29, 2015, 01:15 PM

Hello SCM.. how are you doing?   Why talk about Pakistan border areas??   Why Blame Pakistan?? How about London??  here read this about this hero from London..

preacher Anjem Choudary is trying to discourage Muslims from voting

Or may  be London should import more such preachers from Pakistan..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #2 - May 30, 2015, 12:52 AM

It wouldn't make much of a difference whether people can vote or not. The system is corrupt.
     Reply #3 - May 30, 2015, 01:24 AM

It wouldn't make much of a difference whether people can vote or not. The system is corrupt.

hello someone1991 .... I really don't want to write a response in CEMB forum but i have to do for people like you... I tell you you are a nice guy and very pessimistic.

The other thing we have to realize is., If not elections what other alternative can we have??  One party rule? Communism? Caliph  system? Kingdom?

or Ayub Khan....Yahya Khan....Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq...Pervez Musharraf type of ruling??

Suggest me some better alternative to elections  someone1991 ...... off course Democracy without some sort moral guidance from humanism and such as golden rule is not really democracy for Humanity..  and please realize that famous American Quote "Those  who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security neither get  liberty  nor security."

Reply #4 - May 30, 2015, 01:29 AM

I would gather an angry mob and start protesting. It worked to overthrow the Shah of Iran. It takes years to develop a good stable government. It requires active participation from the public.
     Reply #5 - May 30, 2015, 01:32 AM

I would gather an angry mob and start protesting. It worked to overthrow the Shah of Iran.

you seem not know what Shah did/did not do  during his regime .. What did he do? you think that rule was perfect?  reading something about this man

Mohammad Mosaddegh

Reply #6 - May 30, 2015, 01:34 AM

Yeah he improved women rights for the middle/upper class. But he also tortured his civilians as well and did nothing for the poor. What is the point of having cosmetic rights when your basic human rights and needs are not being met?

Prior to the Shah of Iran, there was a democratic government, until the US and UK got involved.
     Reply #7 - May 30, 2015, 01:40 AM

Remember the part where the Khan of each khanate took the girls on their wedding nights?
    What democratic government are you referring to?

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #8 - May 30, 2015, 01:42 AM

^ To be honest I can't remember. Can you please elaborate?
     Reply #9 - May 30, 2015, 01:46 AM

The only thing you could call democracy in Iran was the brief government set up in Mahabad in the fifties, and it might have been the will of the people but I am not so sure it was a democracy. Certainly there was not enough time to find out. I do not know what else you could claim was democratic there, in government.

Reply #10 - May 30, 2015, 01:54 AM

The only thing you could call democracy in Iran was the brief government set up in Mahabad in the fifties, and it might have been the will of the people but I am not so sure it was a democracy. Certainly there was not enough time to find out. I do not know what else you could claim was democratic there, in government.

well three we have to realize that   A better alternative to bad democracy is nether dictatorship nor Caliphship ., a better alternative to bad democracy is more democracy or Empowered democracy., Off course there are problems with in democracy ., but alternative to it in this 21st century is unthinkable..  

Reply #11 - May 30, 2015, 01:57 AM

Yes, time for a change. I really thought the Green Revolution was going to get somewhere.

Reply #12 - May 30, 2015, 01:59 AM

@ three Fair enough but foreign intervention clearly did not help. First the Shah was imposed. Then he was overthrown because it was clear the majority hated his guts with the exception of the middle class. Now there is the Ayatollah in Iran.

The main issue is that in Pakistan the government is so corrupt there needs to be a big change. I just used the Iranian example that protesting can work. Protesting will help to pressure or even remove the government. However, for there to be a permanent change, a culture of nepotism must be addressed.

There is even a culture of nepotism within the Pakistani community in the UK and it is vile. It is so wrong on so many levels.
     Reply #13 - May 30, 2015, 02:04 AM

Yes, time for a change. I really thought the Green Revolution was going to get somewhere.

well we don't know about Green guys but you are right about that State of  Mahabad after 2nd world war.. You see THE AMRIKA.,  ITS POODLE BRITISH and those freaks from Russia the Stalinists   screwed everything around the Middle East after 2nd world war., .. worst victims of that policy   are Kurdish people.

Reply #14 - May 30, 2015, 02:10 AM

I think nepotism is unavoidable. Here it is called networking. You hire who you know. That's how it works, everywhere. The only thing you can do is create more laws to address it, and start suing people for favoritism or discrimination. Here you hire who you know, but only if they are qualified. Because hiring those without qualifications sets you up for lawsuits.
    On the job seeker side of it, networking with people in your field (joining affiliated organizations and alumni associations) is the best way to break into a job if you have no family or friends to give you a leg up. It is too bad that resumes alone won't do the job.  

Unfortunately I do not see protesting as being effective in Iran, as we learned from the Green Revolution.

Reply #15 - May 30, 2015, 02:11 AM

well we don't know about Green guys but you are right about that State of  Mahabad after 2nd world war.. You see THE AMRIKA.,  ITS POODLE BRITISH and those freaks from Russia the Stalinists   screwed everything around the Middle East after 2nd world war., .. worst victims of that policy   are Kurdish people.

Yeah, who would have thought Russia would do that. Just wrong.

Reply #16 - May 30, 2015, 09:37 AM

Islam it is by far the main reason for the bad situation on that part of the world. There is no much reason to believe that things would have been much better without western/Russian interventions.

It is true that every time Russia and the West got involved there, they've got things from bad to worse.
     Reply #17 - May 30, 2015, 10:02 AM

Islam it is by far the main reason for the bad situation on that part of the world. There is no much reason to believe that things would have been much better without western/Russian interventions.

It is true that every time Russia and the West got involved there, they've got things from bad to worse.

NO...  BLUNTLY NO.

Islam is a stupid faith as any other faith on this earth. Rascals using stories of Islam for their political/economical needs and so called enlightened western governments that use scoundrels in Islam to  pop up dick heads and dick traitors for their economical/political  greed is the reason . Incidentally any country  that uses these religious faiths and faith heads in politics will go down the drain irrespective of their faith.

Off course Islam  appears to be  worst at this time.,  This is because right from the start because unlike other faiths, it did not allow any one (Muslims & non Muslims) to question its cock & bull stories for political reasons.  Some one wrote a silly story on a created  character  called "Muhammad" which is essentially combined stories of  alleged Moses & Jesus sayings  from  Christian Jewish books  of that time and added some local Arab songs and sonnets   sold it as a book allah,  sayings of  messenger   etc..etc.. on his name ...... I mean "Muhammad"

Reply #18 - May 30, 2015, 11:52 AM

Islam is a stupid faith as any other faith on this earth. Rascals using stories of Islam for their political/economical needs and so called enlightened western governments that use scoundrels in Islam to  pop up dick heads and dick traitors for their economical/political  greed is the reason . Incidentally any country  that uses these religious faiths and faith heads in politics will go down the drain irrespective of their faith.

Off course Islam  appears to be  worst at this time.,  This is because right from the start because unlike other faiths, it did not allow any one (Muslims & non Muslims) to question its cock & bull stories for political reasons.  Some one wrote a silly story on a created  character  called "Muhammad" which is essentially combined stories of  alleged Moses & Jesus sayings  from  Christian Jewish books  of that time and added some local Arab songs and sonnets   sold it as a book allah,  sayings of  messenger   etc..etc.. on his name ...... I mean "Muhammad"

Well done to you yeeze by pointing out why Islam is the main reason for all problems there, but still believing it is Europeans fault.  grin12

See the bolded parts? Looks like a contradiction in terms at first, aye?
    No, no, no, you're right, they are all stupid, but one is different and way more dangerous. And you stated the reasons so much better than i could ever have.  Afro
     Reply #19 - May 30, 2015, 12:24 PM

In 2013, Pakistan had for the first time an elected civilian government that completed its term without a coup. I tend to think that in the modern world, the failure of Sharia and the level of extremism is the cause of rise of secularism in much of the muslim world. If Pakistan can have elections without generals interfering, its very possible that within decades, you can have a backlash against movements and parties that promote Sharia.
     Reply #20 - May 30, 2015, 12:32 PM

Rise of Secularism?  Roll Eyes
     Reply #21 - May 30, 2015, 12:36 PM

Yep
     Reply #22 - May 30, 2015, 12:45 PM

Can you please list those countries? Should be more than those countries when secularism is decreasing like Turkey, Tunisia, Iran, Malaysia, Bosnia, ex-soviet republics...
     Reply #23 - May 30, 2015, 01:20 PM

Here's two,Pakistan and Saudi Arabia
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=26584.msg757247#msg757247
     Reply #24 - May 30, 2015, 01:29 PM

Well done to you yeeze by pointing out why Islam is the main reason for all problems there, but still believing it is Europeans fault.  grin12

See the bolded parts? Looks like a contradiction in terms at first, aye?
    No, no, no, you're right, they are all stupid, but one is different and way more dangerous. And you stated the reasons so much better than i could ever have.  Afro

wait..wait my friend...... you can not escape by grinning., laughing and heckling.,    Yes I am seeing the bolder parts .. what about it?  No contradiction.,  let me underline another statement for  you..

Faith and faith heads with power have done NOTHING GOOD ON THIS EARTH and nothing good to humanity.,  It is true some individuals with faith in their head did some good to uplift the society

You seem not to know what Europe was.. and what faith did to Europe and many other nations and cultures during medieval times and middle ages all the way to 2nd world war.. ... let us say... start with a silly book on a silly called Ivan the Terrible

One thing I can say on Islam and Christianity.,   Both Muhammad & Christ being stories.. nothing but stories (may be around a person/persons) created by faith heads and power hungry kings/Caliphs.,  I can say this..

If some one follows Christ(/stories of Christ) foot steps ... You will be a good guy and may be you may loose life., Where as the story of Muhammad specially in the last 13 years of his life  after the death his alleged first wife Khadija is essentially criminal ., so in this case,   If some one follows Muhammad (/stories of Muhammad) foot steps  you will be a criminal ., here also either you kill  some one or get killed by some one because of faith.. 

So I can say this., If Christians following their do criminal acts it is in-spite of Christ and if Muslims following their faith  do criminal acts because their prophet..

again I am stressing the words   "following their faith  doing criminal acts"  So no laughing and no grinning

Reply #25 - May 30, 2015, 01:47 PM

Here are two others, Egypt and Indonesia. where secularism is raising.

The number of Egyptians who support laws strictly following the Quran declines from 62 to 48, while those who say laws should not be influenced by the Quran increases from 5% to 16%.

http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/05/22/chapter-3-democratic-values-in-egypt/
     Reply #26 - May 30, 2015, 01:50 PM

Here are two others, Egypt and Indonesia. where secularism is raising.

The number of Egyptians who support laws strictly following the Quran declines from 62 to 48, while those who say laws should not be influenced by the Quran increases from 5% to 16%.
    (Clicky for piccy!)

http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/05/22/chapter-3-democratic-values-in-egypt/

Support for Sharia declines in Indonesia
    (Clicky for piccy!)
    http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2010/07/25/support-sharia-law-minority-%E2%80%94-and-declining.html

that is good one .. wait for 10 more years.. AND LET NOT THESE SO-CALLED WEST INTERFERE  in these nations and their politics..  those graphs will go down to 20% or less..

Other way of  ruining  budding democracies/freedom to people is the  fucking Sissi way in Egypt.. Thanks to the money of sand land and SAUD SUCKERS .  Morsi was a faith head and a bum but country would have come out of that mess because that guy was elected..  The graph can take upturn with such politics..

Reply #27 - May 30, 2015, 01:52 PM

I think nepotism is unavoidable. Here it is called networking. You hire who you know. That's how it works, everywhere. The only thing you can do is create more laws to address it, and start suing people for favoritism or discrimination. Here you hire who you know, but only if they are qualified. Because hiring those without qualifications sets you up for lawsuits.
    On the job seeker side of it, networking with people in your field (joining affiliated organizations and alumni associations) is the best way to break into a job if you have no family or friends to give you a leg up. It is too bad that resumes alone won't do the job.  

Yeah but in Pakistan it is pretty bad. You don't want nepotism within the police force, politics, military and intelligence services.

Unfortunately I do not see protesting as being effective in Iran, as we learned from the Green Revolution.

Well they did overthrow monarchy. So it can work.
     Reply #28 - May 30, 2015, 02:17 PM

I posted an image in the post above that doesnt work, but I'll post the link again instead. The decline of support for Sharia in Indonesia.
    http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2010/07/25/support-sharia-law-minority-%E2%80%94-and-declining.html
     Reply #29 - May 30, 2015, 02:33 PM

Decline in support for Sharia in Saudi Arabia between 2003-2011 in all age groups.

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/journal_of_the_history_of_childhood_and_youth/v006/6.1.de-jong.pdf
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »