Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Greetings from US

(Read 2658 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Greetings from US
     OP - May 27, 2015, 06:05 AM

Greetings all,

Been reading various posts with interest, particularly the ones in “introduce your self” section, and decided to join the community.   I must say some of you had quite a journey from Islam to becoming an ex- Muslim.   Fortunately I didn’t have much of Journey to my current belief (Humanist/agnostic).  Indeed it will be wrong to classify myself as ex-Muslim, because I never thought of my nominal religion (Islam).  Though my family and relatives are nominally Muslim (Sunni), with few exceptions none of them hardly ever gave Islam or any religion a second though; and I don’t recall anyone preaching, forcing, or urging others to follow Islam.   Interestingly their lax attitude was not born out of enlightenment of some sort.   They/we/my family simply didn’t give a shit about Islam or any religion.  My family and extended clan were not anti-religion; we celebrated the aeed festivities and spoke of prophet and other important figures in Islam with reverence, though without saying much about them, It was not uncommon to have some of my relatives dismiss religion, god and gods. Nor did they face much of backlash.  I will go as far to say that in my family; you were expected to be nonbeliever unless you were to explicitly declare to believe in all that mumbo-jumbo.   That was in Baluchistan/Iran.

Then my father moved to Tehran and we left the uncivilized Baluchistan for Tehran. Civilized folks of Tehran knew their religion well (too well), We were met with surprise and not little disgust by the local civilized Tehranians who are predominantly Shia. Our lack of religious knowledge and concern shock them, but they were kind so they made up an excuse for us “probably because you are Sunni”.  We protested, “NO, we just don’t give a…”  and next hopped onto plane and when I woke up our plane was taxiing in Detroit Michigan United States.
    On what pretext did we get to USA, I don’t recall! I was a teenager. But there we were in Detroit  Michigan. No mullah in site, no nosey neighbor asking as to why we were not in Friday’s prayer. I looked at my siblings, 4 brothers and a sister, and we said “this is great” Lets tell Ma and Pa  we ain’t going back.  Ma and pa were a step ahead, “Damn straight we are staying here.  And we did!

Though I continued living with no god in my head, and had little contacts with Muslims, I culturally saw myself as a Muslim, Sympathized with them, and took an exception if someone “attacked” the religion.   It was going well between me and Islam. I didn't bother with it, didn't even believe in it, but took its side, UNTIL I  started to meet the Muslims.  In graduate school I started to meet people from all over the world.  I will save it for later.

Nasser
  • Greetings from US
     Reply #1 - May 27, 2015, 07:48 AM

A warm welcome from the UK Nasser Smiley
  • Greetings from US
     Reply #2 - May 27, 2015, 09:47 AM

Welcome to the forum Nasser Smiley Thanks for sharing your story with us.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
  • Greetings from US
     Reply #3 - May 27, 2015, 10:58 AM

parrot
    Welcome!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Greetings from US
     Reply #4 - May 27, 2015, 11:22 AM

Welcome to the forum nasser, have a rabbit!  bunny

Great to have another American here, woot! And your background seems very interesting, hope you'll post more of it, and also join in on the other conversations in the forum!  Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Greetings from US
     Reply #5 - May 27, 2015, 03:23 PM

Interesting intro-
    Welcome friend Smiley
  • Greetings from US
     Reply #6 - May 27, 2015, 05:33 PM

parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Greetings from US
     Reply #7 - May 27, 2015, 09:26 PM

Yep, religion can be a fine thing, if taken in moderation.
    Welcome.
  • Greetings from US
     Reply #8 - May 30, 2015, 12:37 AM

Cool into

Welcome Nasser  parrot
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »