Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Putin's disunited nation - Muslims in Russia

(Read 1517 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Putin's disunited nation - Muslims in Russia
     OP - May 22, 2015, 09:34 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/20/opinion/putins-disunited-nation.html?ref=world&_r=0
    Meanwhile, the greatest challenge lies within Moscow, where more than two million Muslims, mostly migrant workers, reside. It may well be Russia’s best kept secret that Moscow is the city with the largest Muslim population in Europe. Relegated to the outskirts of Moscow and suffering from the chronic shortage of mosques, the city’s Muslims have been for years subjected to stereotyping and violence. As the economy declines, so does Russian patience with large Kremlin subsidies to the non-Russian regions, and tolerance of the “foreign” population in the capital.

Reply #1 - May 22, 2015, 01:27 PM

Late last year, the Russian Orthodox Church officially declared that only members of the church can be considered Russian and that the Russian world is a distinct civilization based on Holy Rus — Russia, Ukraine and Belarus. Mr. Putin now declares that Russians and Ukrainians are one people

I understand one of the first acts of the Soviet Union going into Afghanistan was to close down mosques and get the young men and women into universities studying medicine, engineering etc.

Maybe there was something in those ways?  The US bottled those issues by allowing Islamic constitutions.

Do we need some rule like, you may wear your kilts etc in private when you are an adult but your children will be educated in state systems?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #2 - May 23, 2015, 12:03 PM

The US actively encouraged jihad against Russia back in the day.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #3 - May 23, 2015, 03:43 PM

I understand one of the first acts of the Soviet Union going into Afghanistan was to close down mosques and get the young men and women into universities studying medicine, engineering etc.

Maybe there was something in those ways?  The US bottled those issues by allowing Islamic constitutions.

I can only agree with the idea of funding by the state for post-secondary education including tradeskill schools, Germany for example. However the forced education for post-secondary I completely disagree with. Let people make a choice not based on the amount of money one has.

Do we need some rule like, you may wear your kilts etc in private when you are an adult but your children will be educated in state systems?

Many schools already has a dress code. Some are very relaxed only caring about nudity and a few slogans on T-shirts. Some have a more formal idea of a dress code. One of my high-schools had a dress code for PhyEd. T-shirts, shorts or track pants and sneakers (running, athletics or sports shoes). No jeans, sweaters, boots, etc. If you did not meet the requirements you go an NC for the day.

The only reasons for a dress codes I would argue for are security in the form of identification, health issues for students as a group and/or as individuals and maybe bullying. I say maybe as I am not certain in my views. I can see and saw bullying based on clothing; brands, cost, physical insecurity (puberty and all). I could see religious discrimination in schools raise due to religion clothing, it has happened already more than I probably realize. However this runs counter to most secular nation's idea of religious freedom. I think proper religious studies programs at a younger age along with a cultural education would be the better option.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »