Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Newly ex Muslim and freaking out

(Read 7237 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Newly ex Muslim and freaking out
     Reply #30 - May 20, 2015, 07:16 PM

"Those reformists are fooling themselves at best and at worst are being hypocritical. I don't like a cafeteria style approach to Islam"

welcome to the club, have you heard about muhammad shahrur, he has some interesting way of approaching Islam.
     Reply #31 - May 20, 2015, 07:20 PM

Yeah I have, actually. But once I found out he is a civil engineer I stopped listening.
     Reply #32 - May 20, 2015, 07:35 PM

why !!!! in the contrary, i like him because he was a civil engineer, and completely disregard the Islamic traditions ( Sira, hadith, fiqh etc),  which is a later addition anyway.

so he approach the Quran from a neutral point of view, which is exactly what we need now,
    by the way, there are a lot of people who think the Quran is Muhammed's works, and still consider themselves Muslims.

Reply #33 - May 20, 2015, 07:47 PM

If he was that clever his parents would have sent him to medical school duh!

You know how it works in the middle east.

And finally if he has no academic ability send him to become a shiekh.

Wink
     Reply #34 - May 20, 2015, 07:59 PM

seriously Hassan,
    i was expecting better than that from you, so instead of talking about his ideas, we are discrediting his credential,

and seriously fuck you Smiley, i am a civil engineer too, what's wrong with that!!!!

ps : sorry curiousarabgirl for hijacking your thread, I wanted only to show another voice, and there is a huge diversity in the Muslim thought.
     Reply #35 - May 20, 2015, 08:00 PM

Lol that's true. In the Arab world only the idiots are sent to learn Sharia. Maybe it's different in Egypt and Saudi though, I'm not sure.
     Reply #36 - May 20, 2015, 08:04 PM

seriously Hassan,
    i was expecting better than that from you, so instead of talking about his ideas, we are discrediting his credential,

and seriously fuck you Smiley, i am a civil engineer too, what's wrong with that!!!!

I was only joking Hatoush.

I'm sorry if I offended.

لا مؤاخذة عزيزي

Smiley
     Reply #37 - May 20, 2015, 08:07 PM

Lol that's true. In the Arab world only the idiots are sent to learn Sharia. Maybe it's different in Egypt and Saudi though, I'm not sure.

Nope it's not different in Egypt. Sadly the shiekhs are mostly not the brightest amongst us.
     Reply #38 - May 20, 2015, 08:18 PM

I was only joking Hatoush.

I'm sorry if I offended.

لا مؤاخذة عزيزي

Smiley

no you did not Smiley, I just think the guy is really underrated, maybe i should start a separate thread about him, but fuck all his video are in arabic :(
     Reply #39 - May 20, 2015, 08:21 PM

@Qoud Sum Eris: Dude you pissed me off! But then I realized that it's because you are right. It does feel like I've finally grown up. For the first time in my life I feel empowered, which despite everything else, is amazing.

Always assume I'm right. It saves time. Wink

Out of curiosity, why exactly did my post make you angry if you agree with me?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #40 - May 20, 2015, 08:36 PM

It felt kinda patronizing and that got my blood boiling for a sec haha. But then I realized that it's true and that's why I feel so lost, for the first time ever I feel completely in charge and it's weird. I know it sounds strange for a grown woman to finally grow up but I received a very thorough brainwashing of an Islamic education, and pair that with controlling male relatives, and the desire to be the perfect Arab girl and please our fucked up community, and you end up with someone like me!
     Reply #41 - May 20, 2015, 08:37 PM

Believe it or not I didn't mean it patronizingly. Grin

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #42 - May 20, 2015, 08:42 PM

Lol it's cool
     Reply #43 - May 20, 2015, 08:48 PM

no you did not Smiley, I just think the guy is really underrated, maybe i should start a separate thread about him, but fuck all his video are in arabic :(

Yes,  I have a lot of respect for him and agree that he is underrated.
     Reply #44 - May 20, 2015, 11:38 PM

It felt kinda patronizing and that got my blood boiling for a sec haha. But then I realized that it's true and that's why I feel so lost, for the first time ever I feel completely in charge and it's weird. I know it sounds strange for a grown woman to finally grow up but I received a very thorough brainwashing of an Islamic education, and pair that with controlling male relatives, and the desire to be the perfect Arab girl and please our fucked up community, and you end up with someone like me!

I am so glad you got over it at a young age. Because coming to logic late in life is harder. Just plan, and stay safe.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #45 - May 21, 2015, 01:55 AM

Thank you far away hug
     Reply #46 - July 01, 2015, 11:10 PM

Hey, first and foremost welcome to the forum! Have a parrot parrot

I'll answer your queries in parts.

I am very afraid and feel alone and lost. I cannot confide in absolutely anyone as I belong to a super conservative Arab community.

This is a very familiar story for *many* in this forum, and I too belong to a highly conservative community (thank YOU Arabs for invading our lands! Psh! Tongue) As a result, you have no more reason to fear, nor shall you grieve. Your heart shall be at rest. For lo, you belong to a community of the ones who fell. The ones who turned. The ones who decided enough was enough. For we, are the ones who were brave enough to think beyond the societal norms and we were brave enough to say "It is enough".

Then got badly beat by the imam but we'll overlook that part Wink

but the biggest practical problem I am facing now is the prospect of marrying a Muslim.

Ha! 20s. Arab community. Again, thank yoooou for spearheading our wife burning norms (okay there was some blessing there - and yes you've probably guessed by now, I *am* of Pakistani origin). So yes, by society it is now expected our wombs are ready (yeah I'm a guy but screw the system!) for the bun making factory setting. Society has decided that. And yes, it *must* be done in the fold of an institutionalised mass system of union. Of course. Yes, I speak of the the forbidden M word - MARRIAGE. That was hard, I know. First and foremost, it is *your* choice to decide when you are ready. It is your body. No amount of pressure and downtalk can ever change that. Though you say you're in a RELATIONSHIP *gasp, shock* with a guy (most likely non-intimate). As a result, he is most likely *not* ultra-conservative, but may still have reservations about your struggles. He may do what others do and brush it off as a phase, he may completely flip. I'm sorry to say this, but the only way to do this is to one day sit him down and drop the pipebomb. Get some candles, set the scene. Get on one knee (I'm totally mixing customs here - screw the system!) and just say, "Will you accept me? I am having doubts". No but seriously, you do need to ensure he knows what he's getting himself into. It'll leave you with greater pain and misery if you don't go about doing this.

My other question involves fate. Now that many of you are former Muslims, how do you handle moving forward in life without that anchor of fate, without knowing that everything that has happened or will happen to you is because of some grand plan? That belief sustained me throughout my life and as I'm rapidly losing it, I feel like I'm in unchartered waters- hence the freaking out.

Well, as a physicist, I can say there is only so much one can believe in fate. I believe in a stochastic universe. One that abides by the laws of probability. And if you look at our planet, it is at one tiny small corner of the solar system, orbiting in one tiny speck of the milky way, which is amongst billions upon billions of galaxies. The idea that we, these tiny insignificant specks in one tiny corner of the universe have some driving force known as fate guiding us, as though the very strands of space-time connect one event to another beyond the models of causation, is highly improbable. Rather humbling, for me to know we're rather small. And rather comforting that we are a moving system of mass and energy, and luckily thermodynamics prevents that from ever being lost. We live to become a part of the universe manifesting itself, and we die distributing our matter and energy in the universe to allow another thermodynamic system to exist. We become a part of the universe after we die, never lost. Information is conserved. And I find that beautiful. That's enough for me, I don't need any higher driving force in this anymore.

Hope this helps!

One only acquires wisdom when one sets the heart and mind open to new ideas.

Chat: http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/#ex-muslims
     Reply #47 - July 01, 2015, 11:46 PM

Thank you for your reply Smiley I especially enjoyed reading the physics part. I'm becoming more comfortable with the idea that our lives aren't governed by a supernatural force and that we are all alone out there. It's antithetical to every single thing that was ingrained in me so unshackling myself from that idea is not easy, but it's very liberating and just plain awesome.

Oh I dumped the dude, no way I can marry someone who barely practices Islam but wants me to become religious and wear hijab. I didn't come out to him as ex-Muslim because I couldn't trust him to keep his mouth shut in our community. Then I was like if you can't trust this person to not out your identity how on earth can you marry them?? For once in my life, I was logical Smiley
     Reply #48 - July 01, 2015, 11:52 PM

We're not all alone out here. I know it's a world of increasing social atomization, but we're surrounded by so many people. We do have one another, whatever that means and what we choose to make it.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #49 - July 01, 2015, 11:55 PM

Yes, very true. Our love for our families and friends is really all we have, and it gives life meaning. I'm just reading too much Emerson and am into the idea of romantic self reliance at the time.
     Reply #50 - July 02, 2015, 02:06 AM

I was in bed thumbing through CEMB on my phone, and I just had to get up and find my laptop to post a reply to your intro thread. Firstly, and as a fellow Arab American, welcome! The freaking out? It's totally normal and okay. Your mind is trying to find equilibrium again. With time, you will come to your own answers regarding fate.

Do you think it's an absolutely stupid idea to marry someone who is Muslim now that you are no longer one? My gut tells me this is a disaster waiting to happen.

I will speak as someone who is married to a Muslim and rode the emotional rollercoaster when it came to telling him about my apostasy (which happened after marriage). It's tough and there are obstacles wherever you look, but he is my biggest supporter and the only one who knows about my non-belief. It helps that he has his own critical views of mainstream Islam. I am hopeful and perhaps a little naive, but I don't plan on going to Hajj with him or raising a circumcised Muslim baby with him, and he knows this. Considering I am planning on living as a "cultural Muslim" for the rest of my life, this is the best way things could have worked out for me.

Pretending to be Muslim is one of the most emotionally draining and upsetting things I still subject myself to. Luckily (?), I only have to do it around my own family now. If you can find someone who accepts you for who you are, hold onto them and never let them go! Even if that someone has to "fake convert" to appease your family... Wink

edit: since I am two months late to the party and you've dumped the dude, I'm going to give you a hearty congratulations!! And a parakeet!
    parrot
     Reply #51 - July 02, 2015, 02:27 AM

You are so sweet Um Huraira, thank you! I needed that boost, you're right it's so hard to pretend all the time. I want to scream sometimes at the ridiculousness of our community and it's expressions of faith. I hope things work out for me the way they did for you far away hug
     Reply #52 - July 02, 2015, 02:48 AM

I have hope that everything will work out! Hang in there.  far away hug Sometimes you just feel like the only normal person you know.
     Reply #53 - July 02, 2015, 07:15 PM

Thank you for your reply Smiley I especially enjoyed reading the physics part. I'm becoming more comfortable with the idea that our lives aren't governed by a supernatural force and that we are all alone out there. It's antithetical to every single thing that was ingrained in me so unshackling myself from that idea is not easy, but it's very liberating and just plain awesome.

Oh I dumped the dude, no way I can marry someone who barely practices Islam but wants me to become religious and wear hijab. I didn't come out to him as ex-Muslim because I couldn't trust him to keep his mouth shut in our community. Then I was like if you can't trust this person to not out your identity how on earth can you marry them?? For once in my life, I was logical Smiley

You're very welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. It is difficult to come to grips with this concept, but once you do it seems almost second nature. We are never alone, we have the entire universe with us; we are the universe expressing itself for a moment as a human. We are one. Trust me, I completely understand what you mean by an idea shackling you in chains. I have been there many-a-time.

That's an interesting reason to dump someone. But I do understand, religion is such a big part of life, and to have such expectation placed upon you to be a person on a *philosophical* movement would for me also be totally unacceptable. Trust is central to any relationship, indeed, and I concur that it is a logical move to get away from this male. Smiley

One only acquires wisdom when one sets the heart and mind open to new ideas.

Chat: http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/#ex-muslims
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »