Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: British Values

(Read 8407 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • British Values
     Reply #30 - May 23, 2015, 02:42 PM

Just now snapped these in Church street.

• British Values
     Reply #31 - May 23, 2015, 02:46 PM

• British Values
     Reply #32 - May 23, 2015, 02:48 PM

• British Values
     Reply #33 - May 23, 2015, 02:54 PM

• British Values
     Reply #34 - May 23, 2015, 02:56 PM

• British Values
     Reply #35 - May 23, 2015, 02:59 PM

• British Values
     Reply #36 - May 23, 2015, 03:01 PM

• British Values
     Reply #37 - May 23, 2015, 03:01 PM

I don't really mind when someone says that Britain is Christian or talk about British values. I tend to think it depends on the intention, and whether being British is something open or whether the intentions are being inclusive or exclusive. Whether or not the idea is that people of different colors,religions and ethnic backgrounds feel that British history is their history,British interests are there interests and British values are their values
  • British Values
     Reply #38 - May 23, 2015, 03:02 PM

• British Values
     Reply #39 - May 23, 2015, 03:04 PM

• British Values
     Reply #40 - May 23, 2015, 03:07 PM

• British Values
     Reply #41 - May 23, 2015, 03:08 PM

Just snapped those 5 mins or so ago grin12
  • British Values
     Reply #42 - May 23, 2015, 03:30 PM

Personally I think if you drink european lager you should fuck off back to euroland where you belong.

Only real English ale made in the traditional way!! (Though I'll allow Irish guinness and scotch whiskey also… and at a push a good Argentinian French wine) BUT none of that bat's piss they call beer in europe. Cunts!
  • British Values
     Reply #43 - May 23, 2015, 03:46 PM

Just like Gastown and Granville Island. You have to visit on an empty stomach or all that food goes to waste
  • British Values
     Reply #44 - May 23, 2015, 04:06 PM

The ironic thing about the whole "integration" thing is that Westerners tend to be the worst at integrating. Even in conservative Muslim countries they form their own expat communities where they somehow manage to get authorities to turn a blind eye to their cultural practices like drinking and wearing revealing clothing.

And I mean that's not necessarily a bad thing. Dubai has been liberalizing basically to attract expats. And now Kuwait is doing the same. There are rumours that Kuwait wants to build the first bar/night club. I dunno when/if that's going to happen, but there's definitely a huge push lately influenced by Dubai to develop the country and make it more appealing.

Societies develop by integrating other cultures. As you said, other cultures have a lot we can value too.

Yea, I have read about the whole expats thing, in the sense that the English are never immigrants, they are expats.  Grin  On account of being so special you know. 

It's an interesting question. Considering the rise of segregated and divided communities and a growing us vs them mentality, do we need something to unite us as fellow citizens?

We do, but honestly the word British to me is already loaded with nationalism, and I don't think nationalism is the way forward.  I also see it as very white to be fair, a position I can't even occupy.

Walking along Church Street off Edgware Road on most days, but especially market days will show you that people from a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds, races and cultures are indeed united by their shared experience living and working together. This morning I saw a Moroccan store holder helping and greeting his English neighbours running a fish stall and on the otherside a veg stall. They make and laugh together. Local characters shuffle by and say hi and shake hand or touch fists. English traders joke with a familiar hijabi customer. Polish and Iraqi shopkeepers sharing tea and olives. A niqabi stoops to pick up something a elderly lady in a wheelchair dropped. And so on… I love Church Street. Someone should do a documentary about it. It is British values in action. Tolerance. Cooperation. Humour. Hard work ethic. Helping others. Inclusiveness. Generosity. Etc... Of course at the same time these are universal values, but here they are displayed by people in the uk who share a local connection.

It's funny that you say that Hass, you know I have lived near there, run through its streets as a kid and a teen, attended weekend Arabic classes there, I still have family there, and I see it differently.  Like that awesomeness you see, to me is a veneer, under which a lot of shit is happening. 

In the cutest way possible, your description of it, reminds me of this song and video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmYT79tPvLg

Tongue Tongue Tongue

I did my dissertation on racism amongst the Moroccan community, and interviewed people from there, and to be fair was confronted with some hideous racism and tribalism too.  My step mum, I can see her easily having banter with a Polish market person, and then get home and saying some god awful things.

Maybe I am just way more pessimistic than you.   Cheesy

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • British Values
     Reply #45 - May 23, 2015, 04:07 PM

Just scanned the photo to see if my family were out and about doing shopping.  Grin

They aren't.

• British Values
     Reply #46 - May 23, 2015, 04:16 PM

That video makes me miss London.  Cry
  • British Values
     Reply #47 - May 23, 2015, 04:17 PM

Cheesy Cheesy  Slumming it is always fun. 

• British Values
     Reply #48 - May 23, 2015, 04:21 PM

Mind you, enjoy the rawness of London whilst you can.

The borough of Hackney has just criminalised homelessness, and the poor are being quietly moved out of London bit by bit, and sent up North. 

The way London is right now, the way in which poverty exists on the other side of the road, will no longer be tolerated, and this will become like some mini British Dubai, centred on glitz, and wealth, with all poor, or opposing cultures, erased. 

My family are currently battling to stay where they have always lived in London.  It's a joke.

Not saying that poverty is something we want to see, or want to keep, just that the vibrancy created in poorer communities may vanish if things continue the way they are headed.

/end rant.

• British Values
     Reply #49 - May 23, 2015, 04:22 PM

I had to listen to the song again to hear the lyrics. Cheesy
  • British Values
     Reply #50 - May 23, 2015, 04:23 PM

Cheesy Cheesy

• British Values
     Reply #51 - May 23, 2015, 08:18 PM

North (and West) London is the stuff. I loved every minute living in Barnet. Now I live in South-East London and it's just so shit.
  • British Values
     Reply #52 - May 23, 2015, 08:28 PM

You're always welcome to visit me again. We didn't get the chance to explore that much. I hope my sofa was comfortable enough. Grin

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »