Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:41 PM

What's happened to the fo...
Today at 12:21 PM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: New Agnostic Atheist/Theist

(Read 11209 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • New Agnostic Atheist/Theist
     OP - May 08, 2015, 03:18 PM

I feel very weird being here, I was a Muslim 2 days ago, and I can say I was a faithful one.

I became a Quranist less than a month ago, after finding so many flaws with my Sunni teachings ( even though I was a moderate Sunni ). I believed that the Quran is my last hope in Islam, and if it wasn't for Quran I wouldn't be stuck with Muslims anymore. So as a Quranist I was quite happy, thinking that I'm on the best path possible for my goal ( pleasing god and being a good servant ). I was religious, my whole life depended on god in a way you can't imagine. I don't have many friends, as I don't talk much with anyone ( I'm quite introverted ) I just feel very satisfied that I'm so close to god. I felt he always listens to me, and supports me when no one else did.

I'd keep praying to god that he'll guide me to the right path, all of the time. However, two days ago my life was ruined. I started to question Quran, I don't really know how it started, I just found myself feeling that the Quran is not the word of god.. and there I was, my beloved god was nowhere to be found. I started searching about atheism more ( I already had an agnostic atheist friend, but he's an online friend ) and kept getting shocked more and more that there are good Muslims that turned to atheists! People who were really devoted to god.. it just hit me.

Now I feel quite scared... I'm an Arab. I can't find any atheists around! I'm the youngest in a big family of Muslims. I feel threatened! I'm not a good liar, as I hate to lie! But I find myself forced to pretend as if I'm still a Muslim... I thought about the possibility to go back to Islam and just be a Muslim again if I felt like I'll get exposed, but I don't think I can believe in the Quran anymore...

I'm scared of the unknown too... so now what? My life was all about being a good Muslim and getting closer to god. Now I'm trying to find god! I'm still thinking if there's a god at all... I guess I'm just too shocked... I got one foot in Islam and one in atheism. Just in case my life gets threatened, I'll get back to my religion's shelter ( even though I'm not in an extreme Islamic society like Saudi Arabia, I'm in Oman. But still.. I'm not sure what will happen if they found out. As people associate atheism with immorality... + my brother is a bit extreme... I wonder what he'll do if he knew I left Islam, I don't suspect that he'll harm me for the sake of pleasing god! the god I was so devoted to and kept praying to to guide me! ).

I just feel insecure... and I have no one around to talk to about it ( all Muslims ). I don't even know what I want you to tell me, I'm just not sure if I'm doing the right thing. I feel more at peace now though, despite the fear. But I keep thinking, what if they were right? what if the Quran is right? Even though I don't find it right at all!

Please, can you guide me? Where to go now? I feel like my life became so empty all of a sudden..  Cry

I chose Islam. Peace, it was nice to be here for a little while. Smiley
     Reply #1 - May 08, 2015, 03:23 PM

I just feel insecure... and I have no one around to talk to about it ( all Muslims ). I don't even know what I want you to tell me, I'm just not sure if I'm doing the right thing. I feel more at peace now though, despite the fear. But I keep thinking, what if they were right? what if the Quran is right? Even though I don't find it right at all!

Please, can you guide me? Where to go now? I feel like my life became so empty all of a sudden..  Cry

First of all read my signature.

Secondly as for where to go - who the fuck knows lol, but things will get better. It is natural to feel anxious confused at a loss insecure etc... that's all part of what happens when one leaves Islam. But hang in there, as things will get better.

Fundamentally you are the same person you were before. If you were loving, kind charitable and honest - you still are - if you were a wanker, you still are lol  grin12

The journey of losing faith is a difficult and painful one - but things will steady and stabalise and you will find your feet and confidence again.

hugs
     Reply #2 - May 08, 2015, 03:24 PM

Oh and welcome  Smiley
     Reply #3 - May 08, 2015, 03:28 PM

Mira, welcome.

Your story is a familiar one. Lots of people find themselves stuck between different worlds after their apostasy, hiding it from certain people, worrying about safety and relationships and their families, and trying to figure out what they make of the world and their place in it now.

The best advice I can give you is to take your time. Take your time, don't be in a rush you declare yourself this or that, let yourself explore your doubts and also explore the rest of the world, and try your best to be brave. You will arrive at the conclusion that makes the most sense for you, and, in time, you will learn how to accept it. But changing the only way you've known how to look at the world, and the only way you've known how to exist, is definitely a process, you can't and shouldn't rush it.

Furthermore, if you're still dependent on your family and living with them, especially if you have a good relationship with them, I would always recommend waiting to come clean about your thoughts/beliefs until you're self-sufficient and in a stable place emotionally and otherwise. Don't think of it as lying. You're just doing what you need to do to the best of your ability, there is nothing malicious behind keeping this from others for a while.

You've honestly come to a wonderful place. There's a lot of really caring, intelligent members who have been in your shoes before. Please stick around, read old threads, ask your questions, and, most importantly, come here to vent when you're down. There's nothing like having people who understand exactly what you're going through when you're dealing with issues surrounding doubt and apostasy.

Anyway, glad you're here, and welcome.  parrot
     Reply #4 - May 08, 2015, 03:37 PM

Welcome to the forum. parrot Omar is a beautiful country.

There's no quick answer to what you're going through. Who knows, this may even not last. In a few days or weeks or months or even years you could find yourself becoming a muslim again. The thing to keep in mind is that you haven't done anything wrong. If allah does exist then he knows you've reached your conclusions with true sincerity, and no just god would punish you for that.

Going from a faithful muslim to coming too the conclusion islam isn't true can be an audacious process, and it sounds like you went through this process faster than some. Take your time. Ask yourself how you see the world now, what you want to do, what you can do. Explore who you are as an individual human being with your own views, morals, ideas and dreams. There's no rush. Take a breath. And feel free to talk to us here. Smiley

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #5 - May 08, 2015, 03:42 PM

Omar is a beautiful country

tee hee  grin12
     Reply #6 - May 08, 2015, 03:46 PM

What? The scenery is gorgeous. Shame about the dictatorial overlord.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #7 - May 08, 2015, 03:51 PM

I agree, but it's Oman nor Omar Wink
     Reply #8 - May 08, 2015, 03:53 PM

oops

Reply #9 - May 08, 2015, 03:55 PM

far away hug
     Reply #10 - May 08, 2015, 04:12 PM

First of all read my signature.

Secondly as for where to go - who the fuck knows lol, but things will get better. It is natural to feel anxious confused at a loss insecure etc... that's all part of what happens when one leaves Islam. But hang in there, as things will get better.

Fundamentally you are the same person you were before. If you were loving, kind charitable and honest - you still are - if you were a wanker, you still are lol  grin12

The journey of losing faith is a difficult and painful one - but things will steady and stabalise and you will find your feet and confidence again.

hugs

Haha, thanks Hassan, that's kinda helps. Smiley

Reply #11 - May 08, 2015, 04:22 PM

Mira, welcome.

Your story is a familiar one. Lots of people find themselves stuck between different worlds after their apostasy, hiding it from certain people, worrying about safety and relationships and their families, and trying to figure out what they make of the world and their place in it now.

The best advice I can give you is to take your time. Take your time, don't be in a rush you declare yourself this or that, let yourself explore your doubts and also explore the rest of the world, and try your best to be brave. You will arrive at the conclusion that makes the most sense for you, and, in time, you will learn how to accept it. But changing the only way you've known how to look at the world, and the only way you've known how to exist, is definitely a process, you can't and shouldn't rush it.

Furthermore, if you're still dependent on your family and living with them, especially if you have a good relationship with them, I would always recommend waiting to come clean about your thoughts/beliefs until you're self-sufficient and in a stable place emotionally and otherwise. Don't think of it as lying. You're just doing what you need to do to the best of your ability, there is nothing malicious behind keeping this from others for a while.

You've honestly come to a wonderful place. There's a lot of really caring, intelligent members who have been in your shoes before. Please stick around, read old threads, ask your questions, and, most importantly, come here to vent when you're down. There's nothing like having people who understand exactly what you're going through when you're dealing with issues surrounding doubt and apostasy.

Anyway, glad you're here, and welcome.  parrot

Hey Lua, Thank you! That was really helpful, I'm grateful. I'm sure I'll be visiting this forum. And I did read a bunch of threads and I found them quite helpful too.

Smiley I like your signature.

Reply #12 - May 08, 2015, 04:26 PM

I'm so glad if it helped! And glad to hear you'll stick around. There's some discussions going on right now, so just jump in, everyone's nice!

And re the signature, thank you, I did, also. Grin It's from an old picture that was circulating around the internet a while back where it was spray painted on a wall. The caption I saw at the time said it was graffiti in Saudi Arabia, which makes it better if that's true, but I hope the artist ran fast after that!
     Reply #13 - May 08, 2015, 04:29 PM

Welcome to the forum. parrot Omar is a beautiful country.

There's no quick answer to what you're going through. Who knows, this may even not last. In a few days or weeks or months or even years you could find yourself becoming a muslim again. The thing to keep in mind is that you haven't done anything wrong. If allah does exist then he knows you've reached your conclusions with true sincerity, and no just god would punish you for that.

Going from a faithful muslim to coming too the conclusion islam isn't true can be an audacious process, and it sounds like you went through this process faster than some. Take your time. Ask yourself how you see the world now, what you want to do, what you can do. Explore who you are as an individual human being with your own views, morals, ideas and dreams. There's no rush. Take a breath. And feel free to talk to us here. Smiley

Thank you! ^^

I thought so too. I'm happy to hear this from someone else, it's more comforting.

yeah, it was really fast! Thanks again, Quod Sum Eris. I think I'll do just that for now.

far away hug you people are awesome.

Reply #14 - May 08, 2015, 04:55 PM

I'm so glad if it helped! And glad to hear you'll stick around. There's some discussions going on right now, so just jump in, everyone's nice!

And re the signature, thank you, I did, also. Grin It's from an old picture that was circulating around the internet a while back where it was spray painted on a wall. The caption I saw at the time said it was graffiti in Saudi Arabia, which makes it better if that's true, but I hope the artist ran fast after that!

I'll do that when my mind is a bit clearer, thanks! ^^

Haha, Saudis are quite brave. Hopefully they'll find peace in their country one day.

Reply #15 - May 08, 2015, 04:58 PM

Take your time! We'll be here.  Afro

And I hope so, too.  yes
     Reply #16 - May 08, 2015, 05:07 PM

Looks like its appeared more than once:

I like the way both photos are taken at night lol
     Reply #17 - May 08, 2015, 05:09 PM

Cheesy! I think the top one is the handwriting I recognize, but not the same image I saw, which I think was actually in the daytime IIRC. Let me see if I can find it.
     Reply #18 - May 08, 2015, 05:13 PM

Yikes, I've stolen someone's beautiful words and then flooded most of the google returns with my incessant posts. A ton of image returns for CEMB now. Grin

But yes, someone dared a daytime picture Grin

Reply #19 - May 08, 2015, 05:17 PM

Welcome to the forum Mira, have a rabbit!  bunny

I would suggest most of all trying to stay safe, if that means pretending to be Muslim, then so be it. But do feel free to talk on here.

Also, here is a guide for accessing this forum safely: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=8070.0

I hope you do join in the conversations and look forward to getting to know you better.  Smiley

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #20 - May 08, 2015, 05:19 PM

Yikes, I've stolen someone's beautiful words and then flooded most of the google returns with my incessant posts. A ton of image returns for CEMB now. Grin

But yes, someone dared a daytime picture Grin

(Clicky for piccy!)

Afro
     Reply #21 - May 08, 2015, 09:09 PM

Hi Mira

Very happy to have you here Smiley Oman - wow - that is a place you don't hear much about every day. Perhaps that is a good thing lipsrsealed

So you're from a Sunni background? So in second place behind the Ibadis or how?

Will you be able to educate your way to liberty?

How religious (or conservative) are your family and friends and stuff?

And as the others said - take it easy - find your own path. It can be as a Muslim. Or an Ex-Muslim. Or as an Omani. Or as citizen of this world we all share Smiley

Hugs from a never-Mooze in Scandinavia Smiley parrot

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #22 - May 09, 2015, 07:31 AM

Welcome to the forum Mira, have a rabbit!  bunny

I would suggest most of all trying to stay safe, if that means pretending to be Muslim, then so be it. But do feel free to talk on here.

Also, here is a guide for accessing this forum safely: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=8070.0

I hope you do join in the conversations and look forward to getting to know you better.  Smiley

Thank you asbie, for both the rabbit and the guide Smiley

I tried and talked about the way I see Quran now with my closest relative, and he seemed quite shocked and told me to slow down a bit. He's the most understandable person I know. So I guess yeah, I'll keep pretending.

Thanks again! ^^

Reply #23 - May 09, 2015, 07:49 AM

Hi Mira

Very happy to have you here Smiley Oman - wow - that is a place you don't hear much about every day. Perhaps that is a good thing lipsrsealed

So you're from a Sunni background? So in second place behind the Ibadis or how?

Will you be able to educate your way to liberty?

How religious (or conservative) are your family and friends and stuff?

And as the others said - take it easy - find your own path. It can be as a Muslim. Or an Ex-Muslim. Or as an Omani. Or as citizen of this world we all share Smiley

Hugs from a never-Mooze in Scandinavia Smiley parrot

Hi Nikolaj ,

Thank you, haha! I hope that's a good thing!

Yeah, we're the second in here. But really, its not much of a difference. We're all like a one big family in here, so that's why I think my apostasy would matter to the community as a whole not just my Sunni community ( as my best friend is a quite religious Ibadi ). So I think if they found out, "maybe" it won't be as bad as it would've been in Saudi Arabia. But, I'm sure people won't treat me the same anymore.

Hmm, hopefully. Liberty is a concept that was pictured as a really bad thing ever since I existed, so I guess I need to understand what it means 1st in order to make my decision if I'll move towards it.

My family is quite conservative, but not to the extreme ( they're moderate ). They're quite religious to some degree, don't really know how to describe them. I'm sure the Arab fellows in here know what I'm talking about though.  Anyway, my parents are quite traditional people ( a bit less educated ), who would get a total shock if they knew I'm questioning Islam. I can never let them know.

I never was fond of nationalities. I'm just a human being. And about the Muslim/non-Muslim part, time will tell.

far away hug

Reply #24 - May 10, 2015, 08:09 AM

Hey Mira. Welcome to the forum  far away hug Hope you find some answers to your questions here.

I'm not a good liar, as I hate to lie!

You will learn. I hate lying too, but it's become a second nature for me, unfortunately. Your safety is the most important thing. There's no need to run around telling people you lost faith in God/the Quran.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #25 - May 10, 2015, 08:46 AM

Welcome! Have a parrot.  parrot

I completely understand about the feeling lost and searching for meaning and purpose. Then sometimes nihilism sets in and you wonder why you're even alive....I have bipolar and spend a lot of the time suicidal anyway, so that feeds my suicidality. But for right now, I don't know what my purpose or direction in life is, and I'm ok with that. There is a ton of stuff I will never know. The universe is so incredibly vast that even the sum of all human knowledge doesn't begin to scratch the surface of all there is to know. None of us could possibly know everything there is to know, and that can be overwhelming, but it's also a bit comforting because you can look around at everyone else and see that they're all just doing the exact same thing as you, trying to do the best they can with the information they have. We're all in the same boat.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #26 - May 10, 2015, 11:55 AM

Hey Mira. Welcome to the forum  far away hug Hope you find some answers to your questions here.

You will learn. I hate lying too, but it's become a second nature for me, unfortunately. Your safety is the most important thing. There's no need to run around telling people you lost faith in God/the Quran.

Hey Naerys, thanks! ^^

You're right, I better keep my mouth shut for now till I think it through. I'm reconsidering Quran at the moment and I do feel like my point of views are changing a bit. No matter where I'll go from here, I don't think it's gonna be with the same size of consciousness I had before. Anyway, thanks again!  Smiley

Reply #27 - May 10, 2015, 12:29 PM

Welcome! Have a parrot.  parrot

I completely understand about the feeling lost and searching for meaning and purpose. Then sometimes nihilism sets in and you wonder why you're even alive....I have bipolar and spend a lot of the time suicidal anyway, so that feeds my suicidality. But for right now, I don't know what my purpose or direction in life is, and I'm ok with that. There is a ton of stuff I will never know. The universe is so incredibly vast that even the sum of all human knowledge doesn't begin to scratch the surface of all there is to know. None of us could possibly know everything there is to know, and that can be overwhelming, but it's also a bit comforting because you can look around at everyone else and see that they're all just doing the exact same thing as you, trying to do the best they can with the information they have. We're all in the same boat.

Thanks, gal! Smiley

I definitely felt like that ( why am I even alive ), and I'm really sorry to hear that it made it double for you. :(

Hmm, I talked to my atheist friend while I was totally convinced in Islam a while ago, and told him that if I wasn't a Muslim, I'll probably be an agnostic atheist. Because I thought about it, and felt that these two ( Islam and atheism ) are the best possible options for me. If there's a god, I feel Islam describes him better than any other religion, as Quran gives me better answers and meaning for our existence. And when I look at the world with the eyes of a believer, I definitely feel like Quran makes sense. And when I look at the world with the eyes of a non-believer, I think being agnostic is the best possible option.

When I just felt like Quran is not really the word of god ( because I find it lacks wisdom till a certain level, and I can't understand why should god control us by threatening us all the time? It's insane to follow commands out of fear! And the most unreasonable thing for me is why we shouldn't even think about if Islam is the truth? Or Quran? Isn't it our right to think?! Why does the Quran keep describing the unbelievers and those who question Quran as sinners? It's insane. And finally, why does a good human if not a believer is destined to hell?..  ) I felt there's no other religion out there for me. It's either Islam, or be an agnostic theist with my belief in god. And as I started to question more and depend on proofs only, I couldn't prove god does exist. I just feel he does, and think that it's more logical to believe there's a god, or this whole existence is just a big mess. Being the only conscious creatures on the planet of what's going on is just a joke. Why the heck are we thinking? We should have been animals then and enjoyed life without this whole thinking about the purpose of our existence.

I agree, now that I'm standing out of Islam's borders, I feel connected to all humans. And to someone like me, that's just great. And I actually felt we're all one while I was a Muslim too, but... some verses would contradict that. I kept trying to ignore them as I felt it's so hard for me to get disconnected from the rest of humans. Yeah, I did that. But you know, even if I'll consider going back to Islam, it won't be the same. We are all one, that's what I believe. But Quran creates conflicts in me, like when it commands us to be humble to Muslims and strict with non-Muslims... I don't know. Is it really god commanding us with such a thing?

The thing is, Quran is really not any ordinary book. I always loved it despite it's dark side. It's just too powerful and has a strong impact on those who are open to it. I still can't believe Muhammad has written this book and just made up Islam. I don't think so. No one can come up with such verses, and even the Quran dares people to come up with even just a verse like it. Haha, kind of adding insult to injury. I can't reject Quran 100% . As I also can't prove it's the truth. Simply, I'm trying to follow the best path for me that makes me feel at peace ( at last, I'm just pretty tired by now with all of this. I haven't settled down on something for a while which is making me not focused on my life ).

Sorry I wrote too much haha. It was nice to meet you galfromusa!  far away hug

Reply #28 - May 10, 2015, 04:25 PM

I agree, now that I'm standing out of Islam's borders, I feel connected to all humans. And to someone like me, that's just great. And I actually felt we're all one.

Hi, you can google "Pantheism" as a philosophical concept, I think it will better suit your view right now. There's even a religion with that kind of philosophy, that the creator and creation are all one and the same. We're all connected, all as part of the universe.

It's ok to be a deist, after all God if it exist shouldn't be defined my humans/religions.

I am not a religious/spiritual person, so I never really looked much in to religions but it's good to know some core philosophy behind all major religions Smiley Just to know, that no single religion hold the truth about everything.

Good luck with your journey Smiley
     Reply #29 - May 10, 2015, 05:14 PM

Hi Helaine, hmm I've heard about such a thing before, that sounds quite interesting. Thanks!

Yeah, I'm just still reevaluating things right now. Hopefully I'll find what's best for me.

You're right, and I don't claim that Islam has the truth about everything. And hmm, I'm quite curious about the way you see the world. I mean, I feel like regions help us make sense of the world and make us feel safe by the belief of the existence of god. How is it like to totally accept no religious belief? How do you find life meaningful? I know it sounds stupid just bare with me ( if you'll read this, Id like to know ). lipsrsealed

Thanks! Smiley

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »