Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: China orders Muslims to sell alcohol, cigarettes, to ‘weaken’ Islam

(Read 2037 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • China orders Muslims to sell alcohol, cigarettes, to ‘weaken’ Islam
     OP - May 05, 2015, 05:07 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2015/05/05/china-orders-muslim-shopkeepers-to-sell-alcohol-cigarettes-to-weaken-islam/

Chinese authorities have ordered Muslim shopkeepers and restaurant owners in a village in its troubled Xinjiang region to sell alcohol and cigarettes, and promote them in “eye-catching displays,” in an attempt to undermine Islam’s hold on local residents, Radio Free Asia (RFA) reported. Establishments that failed to comply were threatened with closure and their owners with prosecution.

Facing widespread discontent over its repressive rule in the mainly Muslim province of Xinjiang, and mounting violence in the past two years, China has launched a series of “strike hard” campaigns to weaken the hold of Islam in the western region. Government employees and children have been barred from attending mosques or observing the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan. In many places, women have been barred from wearing face-covering veils, and men discouraged from growing long beards.

In the village of Aktash in southern Xinjiang, Communist Party official Adil Sulayman, told RFA that many local shopkeepers had stopped selling alcohol and cigarettes from 2012 “because they fear public scorn,” while many locals had decided to abstain from drinking and smoking.

The Koran calls the use of “intoxicants” sinful, while some Muslim religious leaders have also forbidden smoking.

Sulayman said authorities in Xinjiang viewed ethnic Uighurs who did not smoke as adhering to “a form of religious extremism.” They issued the order to counter growing religious sentiment that was “affecting stability,” he said.

“We have a campaign to weaken religion here, and this is part of that campaign,” he told the Washington-based news service.

The notice, obtained by RFA and posted on Twitter, ordered all restaurants and supermarkets in Aktash to sell five different brands of alcohol and cigarettes and display them prominently. “Anybody who neglects this notice and fails to act will see their shops sealed off, their businesses suspended, and legal action pursued against them,” the notice said.

Radio Free Asia, which provides some of the only coverage of events in Xinjiang to escape strict Chinese government controls, said Hotan prefecture, where Aktash is located, had become “a hotbed of violent stabbing and shooting incidents between ethnic Uighurs and Chinese security forces.”

China says Uighur militant groups based abroad are using the Internet to inspire local Muslims to take up violent jihad against the state. Critics say China’s long repression of Uighur rights and nationalist sentiment has pushed people toward Islam as the only permitted assertion of their community’s identity, and pushed a minority toward a violent form of Islam. Clumsy attempts to promote alcohol or forbid beards and veils may prove counterproductive, they warn.

James Leibold, an expert on China's ethnic policies at Melbourne's La Trobe University, said Chinese officials were "often flailing around in the dark" when tackling extremism. An acute lack of understanding leads them to focus on visible, but imprecise, perceptions of radicalism such as long beards, veils and sobriety, he said.

The result is often "crude forms of ethno-cultural profiling," Leibold said.

"These sorts of mechanistic and reactive policies only serve to inflame ethno-national tension without addressing the root causes of religious extremism, while further alienating the mainstream Uighur community, making them feel increasingly unwelcome within a hostile, Han-dominated society," he wrote in an e-mail.

Sulayman said around 60 shops and restaurants in the area had complied with the government order, and there were no reports of protests. But in an unrelated incident in neighboring Qinghai province on Friday, an angry crowd of Muslims smashed windows of a supposedly halal store in Xining city, after pork sausages and ham were found in a delivery van, according to the local government and photographs on social media.
     Reply #1 - May 05, 2015, 05:39 PM

Interesting, I just google earthed Hotan. It is a city in the middle of a great big desert. How typical.
     Reply #2 - May 05, 2015, 08:52 PM

I've got at least three layers of skepticism on this one.

First off, I'm not Muslim, and am aware of the tendency of religious people to exaggerate their plight.

Having said that, I don't really trust the Chinese government to treat its minority populations well.

Now, having said THAT, I also wouldn't consider Radio Free Asia a credible source of news about nations that are in competition with the US, given that RFA is funded by the US government. 

• China orders Muslims to sell alcohol, cigarettes, to ?weaken? Islam
     Reply #3 - May 05, 2015, 08:54 PM

And, just as an observation, but the US government should really stop using the "Radio Free Wherever" nomenclature for its propaganda outlets. it's a dead giveway.
     Reply #4 - May 05, 2015, 09:36 PM

If I remember right, the ironic thing is that before the Chinese government decided to tell people whet they can and cannot believe Chinese muslims lived quite peacefully.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #5 - May 06, 2015, 01:40 AM

China Gov - fighting oppression with oppression - Kay.  Huh?
     Reply #6 - May 06, 2015, 12:12 PM

................ the ironic thing is that before the Chinese government decided to tell people whet they can and cannot believe Chinese muslims lived quite peacefully..................

That goes to China as well as to AMRIKA which succeeded breaking Russian block using Islam and Islamic heroes.   And that also goes for Muslim folks  who never read Quran/hadith    and also fits well  to Muslim folks who never heard a ISLAMIC BABOON preaching hadith in mosques. They  were always peaceful.

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #7 - May 06, 2015, 12:42 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2015/05/05/china-orders-muslim-shopkeepers-to-sell-alcohol-cigarettes-to-weaken-islam/

Chinese authorities have ordered Muslim shopkeepers and restaurant owners in a village in its troubled Xinjiang region to sell alcohol and cigarettes, and promote them in “eye-catching displays,” in an attempt to undermine Islam’s hold on local residents, Radio Free Asia (RFA) reported. Establishments that failed to comply were threatened with closure and their owners with prosecution.
    Sulayman said around 60 shops and restaurants in the area had complied with the government order, and there were no reports of protests. But in an unrelated incident in neighboring Qinghai province on Friday, an angry crowd of Muslims smashed windows of a supposedly halal store in Xining city, after pork sausages and ham were found in a delivery van, according to the local government and photographs on social media.

INCIDENTALLY I DO NOT BELIEVE ALL THAT and I don't think Chinese Govt did that and that is because of this guy and BLOG from AMRIKA

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #8 - May 06, 2015, 01:18 PM

This reminds me of the time I heard a Saudi imam emphatically tell the congregation that ringtones on cell phones were a Jewish plot to get Christmas Carols into mosques and disturb Muslim worshipers.
     Reply #9 - May 06, 2015, 04:36 PM

INCIDENTALLY I DO NOT BELIEVE ALL THAT and I don't think Chinese Govt did that and that is because of this guy and BLOG from AMRIKA

Huh, what?
     Reply #10 - May 06, 2015, 04:37 PM

This reminds me of the time I heard a Saudi imam emphatically tell the congregation that ringtones on cell phones were a Jewish plot to get Christmas Carols into mosques and disturb Muslim worshipers.

Cheesy
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »