Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: a new agnostic Muslim here

(Read 4336 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • a new agnostic Muslim here
     OP - May 05, 2015, 02:26 PM

I come across this forum, when I was searching for a paper on early Islam, and that was a damn wonderful surprise, I have being reading a lot of posts, and I really like what see, so far.
    I am an Algerian who immigrated to a western country three years ago, I had a long journey from a "pious" Muslim, non-practicing, deist, agnostic then atheist.

In a period of my life I was hostile to Islam, we had a civil war in Algeria, and I know personally people who have been killed, two of them were my teachers in high school, my "faith" was really lost as a reaction to that tragedy. Families were massacred, the video of those two sisters slaughtered in stuck in my head, so I know what fanaticism  can do to normal people.

where I live now, once I went to an atheist meetup, I had a mixed feeling, I felt, regardless of what I believe or not, I was treated as a Muslim, I fully understood that my identity is shaped by my name, my background,  how I look.

I think, I never settled with atheism, although, I strongly believe that the world is governed by physical laws, and I am pretty a rational person, deep inside me I couldn't accept that life is just a random fluctuation from a vacuum Smiley, there must be something there!!!!

since a couple a months I read some works by Angelika Neuwirth about the Quran, I read a different biography of Muhammed by Lesley Hazleton, I am watching videos by Islamic Scholars like Muhammed Shahrour., what I learned is that the traditions is mostly a later fabrication, that the Sira is an idealist history, and everything I know about Islam is wrong.

Now I am in peace with Islam, actually, that's why I identify myself as an agnostic Muslim, I know Quran is a human product, most of the stories on it are just myths, and there is a lot of moral questionable material, but this is my identity.
     Reply #1 - May 05, 2015, 02:34 PM

Now I am in peace with Islam, actually, that's why I identify myself as an agnostic Muslim, I know Quran is a human product, most of the stories on it are just myths, and there is a lot of moral questionable material, but this is my identity.

I love you!!! (No homo... unless you want... if you don't that was a... ermm... a joke  grin12)

I think we have walked similar paths Smiley

Agnostic Muslims rule!!  Afro
     Reply #2 - May 05, 2015, 03:13 PM

thank Hassan, i want just to let it go, and move on with my life.  and accept who I am Smiley

Reply #3 - May 05, 2015, 03:31 PM

Woah, nice! Glad you're finding something that works for you. Welcome!  parrot
     Reply #4 - May 05, 2015, 03:40 PM

Welcome to the forum hatoush.

I'm not an ex-muslim - I'm originally from a Church of England background which effectively meant being a kind of agnostic Christian. I've been an atheist since quite a young age but I can see the attraction of hanging on to some kind of belief and sense of community, and I wouldn't criticise the people I know who do just that. I'm not sure how identifying as an agnostic Muslim will work out, but if it seems right for you then good luck with it.
     Reply #5 - May 05, 2015, 04:10 PM

thank Hassan, i want just to let it go, and move on with my life.  and accept who I am Smiley

Same!

I am what I am - and like you said, I am at peace with that.
     Reply #6 - May 05, 2015, 04:11 PM

Welcome to the forum hatoush Smiley

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #7 - May 05, 2015, 06:41 PM

Welcome! parrot
     Reply #8 - May 05, 2015, 07:30 PM

Welcome in hatoush!
     Reply #9 - May 05, 2015, 07:33 PM

Greetings and salutations, hatoush!  You've received several parrots so here's a dancing bunny for you. bunny

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #10 - May 05, 2015, 08:02 PM

Welcome Hatoush Smiley

Dogs never bite me - just humans. ~ M. Monroe

Religions seem to cause more grief than good.

Exmuslim Chat
     Reply #11 - May 05, 2015, 09:39 PM

Welcome to CEMB. Your parrot. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #12 - May 05, 2015, 09:55 PM

Welcome to the forum hatoush, have a rabbit!

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #13 - May 05, 2015, 10:09 PM

Have a bunny  bunny and a parrot  parrot
     Reply #14 - May 06, 2015, 04:05 PM

Welcome, you sound like an interesting person, and it seems the agnostic Muslim movement is growing!

grin12
     Reply #15 - May 06, 2015, 06:56 PM

Welcome Hatoush, here is your parrot  parrot

On my path to agnost and ex-muslim I've been an agnostic muslim for a while, that's how I actually found this forum. Was so confused with my identity and wanted to know if there were people like me, so I googled Agnostic muslim and found Hassan here. I was so glad when I found him  grin12
     Reply #16 - May 07, 2015, 12:15 AM

Hassan's pretty awesome.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #17 - May 07, 2015, 12:51 AM

Welcome new agnostic Muslim Smiley
     Reply #18 - May 10, 2015, 04:36 PM

Welcome Hatoush, I am already finding the presence of a rational non-Muslim who has more faith than the radicals around here in the traditional Islamic narrative to be refreshing. I hope you keep arguing with us about the merits of the Islamic historiographer tradition vis-a-vis Muhammad and the early (paleo-)Muslim movement, everyone agreeing with each other is no fun! Bienvenue mon ami!  parrot

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Es sitzt keine Krone so fest und so hoch,
    Der mutige Springer erreicht sie doch.

I don't give a fuck about your war, or your President.
     Reply #19 - May 11, 2015, 01:59 PM

I really want to have a basic understanding on how this new religion started, the traditional model is not satisfying, I can’t believe a presumably illiterate man in pagan city just had a vision by an angel, and starting uttering God speech.
    The traditional narrative did not provide an adequate explanation for the obvious biblical roots for this new movement.

I keep teasing my Christian colleague that the story of Jesus is rather clear, an apocalyptic self-styled Jewish prophet who made some claims that the authority did not tolerate, and his got crucified, his followers could not accept this fate, so they elevated him to be a divine, the rest is history.

I wish we could have the same clear narrative about Muhammed.
     Reply #20 - May 11, 2015, 03:48 PM

Hi Hatoush, do you mind if I ask which Western Country you have come to. If you are the UK we have a fairly large community. Smiley
     Reply #21 - May 11, 2015, 03:51 PM

i am in Australia, it seems it is the less religious country in the western world Smiley
     Reply #22 - May 11, 2015, 03:53 PM

hmm, im sure there must be some ex-mooz in Aus?
     Reply #23 - May 11, 2015, 08:50 PM

Welcome  parrot
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »