Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Ex-muslim really need your guidance.

(Read 2654 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Ex-muslim really need your guidance.
     OP - April 22, 2015, 06:24 AM

Hello,
    I am an ex-muslim who has recently moved to Melbourne, Australia from Pakistan on student visa, to study at Swinburne University of Technology.
    I am writing you in a hope that somebody will guide me what to do regarding the stress, depression and issues I am facing.
    First of all, I belong to a family which is way too Islamic who follows every single islamic law and consider Islam the only right religion, they even think that laws like killing Shite muslims, or to kill anyone who disrespect their Muhammad is correct. You can imagine how strong their believes toward Islam are by the fact that my parents goes to perform Hajj (Pilgrimage in Makkah) every year and waste thousand of dollars on it, My parents had took every single of my sibling to perform Hajj as well but I always made some excuse to avoid it...due to their strong faith towards Islam I had to suffer a lot back in Pakistan.
    My father, who is a very strong muslim, had forced me to follow Islamic rituals, rules and everything else which i always hated. for Example, back in Pakistan I wasn't allowed to wear shorts that exposes my knees, I wasn't allowed to keep the goatee, I wasn't allowed to bring or to play any Musical instrument, and I have been forced to wake up every morning at 4 or 5 am and to go to mosque to offer Namaz (pray), which I always hated, fast for the entire month every year, spend every thursday in the mosque and listen for islamic lectures and many more. These are just of the thing that had made my life really miserable, and I was so depressed and stressed that I decided to kill myself on various instances.
    All this may sound like nothing to you but I always wanted to get out of this misery this is why I wanted to leave Pakistan, because if someone in Pakistan or in my family had realized that I have left my religion then I have no idea how they would have treated me, or even kill me, this is why I had to follow every Islamic ritual unwillingly. Besides, I think someone has already told my parents that I have converted into atheist, because I used to write tweets on Twitter and posts on Facebook about Human evolution, and how religion had destroyed everything, and someone might have told them that. The other reason that I suspect that he knows I am an atheist is that, when I moved to Melbourne two months ago, I stopped offering prayer, ate pork like dozen times already and have eaten all sort of food that is forbidden in Islam, and I have a suspection that my roommates who knows my father really well may have told him, but I am not sure about it. One of my roommate is my friend from Pakistan and I have known him for over 4 years and he had met my father in Pakistan quite many times in the past.

My father also asks me on the phone to come visit them in June during my vacation, and if i won't visit (I could delay this visit till december, but no later than that).

In the start my father used to call me like twice a day but for the past few weeks his behavior has entirely changed, and he has stopped calling me (now he calls me like once or twice a week), and he tone has entirely changed too (not very rude tone, but its different than usual, and whenever he call me, he ask me if i am offering prayers 5times a day or not, and I always say YES (i have to).

I would also like to say that I am not leaving Islam because of my father, I am leaving islam because there is no such thing as religion or god, and I strongly believe in Science than on god, and that the religion is created by humans.

Now I have moved to Australia and studying Masters at Swinburne, but I am studying it on my father's money. I want to keep studying what I am studying because education is my very strong aspect, I have a Bachelors degree in Science, beside this I am a very good computer programmer.
    I never want to go back to Pakistan either. But since my Parents are funding my education, I cannot tell them I am an atheist (which I really want to tell).

Now I don't know what to do.
    If I tell my parents that I am an atheist (considering that they don't know this already) so that I can freely leave Islam, then they would completely cut me off, but If i won't pay my tuition at Swinburne then they will expel me from the University.
    I cannot earn and pay the tuition fee myself because I am only allowed to work 20 hours / week or 40 hours / fortnight which is way too less to cover the expenses and I do not want to break any law and work more than 20 hours.
    No, I do not want any financial help or anything, I just need your guidance so that I can get rid from Islam and this stress and depression once for all and come out freely as an atheist to the world.

What are my options ? What can I do ?
    Please guide me.
    Waiting for your reply.
     Reply #1 - April 22, 2015, 06:50 AM

If you quite simply cannot continue independent of your father's funding, then my best advice would be to continue to put up an islamic front until you graduate and are in a position to have your own money. I know it's not a nice thing to do, and it's very emotional, but that's my advice. Until you can stand on your own two feet, don't jeopardise your future.

If you are at risk of violence if/when you return to Pakistan, you need to find out if your suspicions are indeed true and deny them. That, or pretend you're becoming more religious. It will be hard, and you'll feel horrible, but your safety and education is what's most important.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #2 - April 22, 2015, 07:05 AM

Thank you for your message, This is exactly what I am planning to do and this is what many have suggested me , but he is asking me to visit him in June and if had already found out that I ate pork or didnt pray that I have no idea what he is gonna do with me, no matter how religious I try to pretend.

Someone suggested me to tell your father that you are busy during june with studies and delay postpone your visit, and i can do that pretty easily, but I have to visit him sometime this year, like in December and If i won't visit he will stop supporting my education and I will be deported back to Pakistan anyway. That is what I am really worried about.
    This may sound like pretty calm situation but I cannot explain how stressed I am.
     Reply #3 - April 22, 2015, 07:20 AM

Unless there's pictures of you eating a pepperoni pizza or a bacon sandwich it's really just heresy. Have you asked him flat out if anything's wrong? It can be done innocently enough. "I've noticed you don't call as much, your tone seems more reserved, is anything wrong?"

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #4 - April 22, 2015, 07:27 AM

This sounds like a really good idea...i am going to call him and ask if anything is wrong.
    And no there are no photos of me eating pork or anything (as far as I know).
    But I also work part time at a restaurant which serves pork and wine, and he strictly told me not to even go near to a place where there is a pork or wine or any sort of alcohol or haram food.
    My roommate had this job before me and he gave me few of his shifts, I cook bacon their all the time, maybe he has found out about it somehow ? I am sorry I am asking and posting too many questions, I really have no idea what is going on.
     Reply #5 - April 22, 2015, 08:11 AM

It's fine. Smiley

• Re: Ex-muslim really need your guidance.
     Reply #6 - April 22, 2015, 09:19 AM

This sounds like a really good idea...i am going to call him and ask if anything is wrong.
    And no there are no photos of me eating pork or anything (as far as I know).
    But I also work part time at a restaurant which serves pork and wine, and he strictly told me not to even go near to a place where there is a pork or wine or any sort of alcohol or haram food.
    My roommate had this job before me and he gave me few of his shifts, I cook bacon their all the time, maybe he has found out about it somehow ? I am sorry I am asking and posting too many questions, I really have no idea what is going on.

my suggestion is just simply, don't tell him now that you left islam..pretend that you muslim

after you graduate and felt comfortable, tell them about it

but for now, NO..don't..if you suspect that someone might has already tell your father, and your father confirm it, tell him he hates you , he hold grudge and want to destroy your family, as long as no picture of you..try to give any evidence or thing that you are in dispute with that person..so your father couldn't be sure at the end
     Reply #7 - April 22, 2015, 10:57 AM

I am a kaffir so I haven't had your experience with leaving a religion but I am also a scientist living in Melbourne with kids not much younger than you, so on that basis I hope I can offer you some advice.

First, please look after your mental health. It seems likely that you'll have to play along with being a muslim for the time being which no doubt will add to your stress and anxiety. Swinburne like other Aussie Universities has a counselling service. Please take advantage of it. Unburdening yourself confidentially may well help you to cope. It may be that your stress and anxiety is causing you to have more concerns about what your Dad knows than are really warranted - perhaps that phone call you are planning to make could also clear the air and help put your mind at rest. If you have left any worrying traces on the internet I'm sure the good folks here can help you with covering your tracks.

If you are really suffering with anxiety/depression and counselling is not enough don't be afraid to see a GP about it - they may be able to help with medication or other therapies that are more effective. In any case if you can take care of your mental health it will probably help you with enduring the 'pretending' you may have to do on a visit to Pakistan.

Are you planning to settle in Australia when you finish your studies? If so, many former students have trodden this path before you and can probably give some useful advice. For instance, some people get work on a 457 visa initially and there is some info at this link on transitioning from 457 to permanent residency (http://www.4-corners.com.au/blog/bid/295107/How-do-I-transition-from-a-457-visa-to-permanent-residence).

Is doing a PhD a possibility? There are PhD scholarships for international students which would give you some independence. (https://internationaleducation.gov.au/endeavour%20program/scholarships-and-fellowships/international-applicants/pages/international-applicants.aspx) . If this does interest you, be proactive and ask about the possibilities in your department or other universities in Australia.

Above all have a plan for how you are going to get yourself set up independently outside Pakistan (since that seems the safest option). Study hard and think about what you will need to make yourself an attractive employee and go about getting that experience. It might be through something voluntary like helping out at a Software Carpentry Bootcamp or taking part in a coding challenge or something relating to your Masters discipline. There are clubs and societies at your university which may be helpful here, and don't be afraid to ask your lecturers for advice.

If you are working towards a clear goal of getting set up indendendently and are doing concrete things to get there, it may help you to cope a little better.

You may also find allies in unexpected places. Recently we had a visiting PhD student over here (visiting from another Aussie city) who is originally from an islamic country and is working really hard on her PhD so she can get a good job and doesn't have to go back. Because of this, our colleagues who are helping her with her experiments here are trying that extra bit harder to make sure her experiments go well.

parrot
     Reply #8 - April 22, 2015, 12:32 PM

First, please look after your mental health. Unburdening yourself confidentially may well help you to cope.

If you are really suffering with anxiety/depression and counselling is not enough don't be afraid to see a GP about it - they may be able to help with medication or other therapies that are more effective. In any case if you can take care of your mental health it will probably help you with enduring the 'pretending' you may have to do on a visit to Pakistan.

yes It shouldn't be hard finding a secular therapist in Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnlY8veiwP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s

Reply #9 - April 22, 2015, 02:18 PM

Welcome Bilal Smiley - I think these excellent vids by our friend Imtiaz, will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boN0AGQzI78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H9TRzVIn4Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IOvkVpEO-0
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »