Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: On Katie Hopkins' latest vile rubbish calling immigrants 'cockroaches'

(Read 11901 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • On Katie Hopkins' latest vile rubbish calling immigrants 'cockroaches'
     OP - April 19, 2015, 12:15 AM

Katie Hopkins has just written a piece so hateful that it might give Hitler pause – why was it published?
    As Hopkins becomes more offensive to stay relevant and in work, it’s not ok for us to sit on our hands
    Saturday 18 April 2015
    Simon Usborne

Two things have been clear for years: a) Katie Hopkins has cleverly built a popular, personal brand on provocative views that tend to to demonise people she doesn’t like, and get a rise out of people who don’t like her; b) the best way to respond is not to respond at all.

That’s fine - Hopkins has children to feed and dress - and we can unfollow her, and avoid what she writes and says. Free country, free speech. Just look the other way.

But when a national newspaper, which gives this brand an audience of two million people, happily prints language that might give Hitler pause, is that still OK? Or is it worth responding this time, even if she’ll love every minute?

A bit strong to compare Hopkins to Hitler? Read her column on page 11 of yesterday’s Sun.

“Rescue boats? I’d use gunships to stop migrants”. That was The Sun's headline, written apparently without concern.

She then refers to migrants in Calais who try to board trucks heading to Britain as “a plague of feral humans”.

She proposes an Australian approach to migrants on boats. “They threaten them with violence until they bugger off, throwing cans of Castlemaine in an Aussie version of sharia stoning”.

She says we don’t need Save the Children “encouraging” migrants to make the journey. “What we need are gunships sending these boats back to their own country”.

She adds: “Some of our towns are festering sores, plagued by swarms of migrants and asylum seekers, shelling out benefits like Monopoly money”.

Then she writes this, and The Sun prints it. “Make no mistake, these migrants are like cockroaches. They might look a bit “Bob Geldof’s Ethiopia circa 1984”, but they are built to survive a nuclear bomb. They are survivors”.

In the environment that led to creation of the Third Reich in Germany, Polish people were seen as "an East European species of cockroach", while Jews were rats. When Hutu extremists used radio propaganda to incite violence against the Tutsis during the Rwandan Genocide, they called on people to “weed out the cockroaches.”

Putting to one side the facts - that Hopkins’ cockroaches include families trying to flee war zones - it is not a challenge to free speech to question the publication of language that reads so much like dehumanising, fascist propaganda. You don’t have to be humourless, or unsympathetic to the truck drivers Hopkins set out to protect, to feel like something is wrong here. And it is not about political correctness. It’s about decency.

Even before we consider her words in relation to the legal definition of racial hatred, The Sun has a responsibility to decide where to draw the line. What if any discussions took place before editors sent page 11 to be printed? (I asked Stig Abell, the Managing Editor, and Dylan Sharpe, the paper’s head of PR, for their thoughts on Twitter last night, but no reply so far.)

I suspect that if any other journalist had filed that column to The Sun, editors would have rightly gasped and spiked it immediately. But this is Brand Hopkins. This is what she does, and she peppers her prejudice with gags. People like her - there is demand for her views, and it’s good for business. And what about free speech?!

But as Hopkins becomes more offensive to stay relevant and in work, so that she can make a good living for her family, it’s not OK to sit on our hands, even if challenging her and The Sun fuels the brand and delights the writer. There’s no way she’ll stop - she loves this, as I found when I met her a couple of years ago - but if the editors and producers who giver her a platform (LBC have just given her her own radio show) think that column was acceptable, they must explain why, and justify her future employment.

Source.

So, not being a Brit myself, is she like Ann Coulter or something? How come she has such a big platform (I understand she's at the head of a media empire that spans multiple outlets)? What a nutter.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #1 - April 19, 2015, 09:06 AM

It fits in with the pre-election mood: https://mobile.twitter.com/trillingual/status/587618623084167168
     Reply #2 - April 19, 2015, 09:27 AM

She's like someone with tourettes syndrome who can't help themselves spurt out their true thoughts about someone, except in her case she's not funny, just horrid.
     Reply #3 - April 19, 2015, 10:09 AM

Reply #4 - April 19, 2015, 04:05 PM

Also from the Daily Mail back in the day:

Reply #5 - April 19, 2015, 09:11 PM

It looks like the worst loss of life yet.

700 migrants feared dead in Mediterranean shipwreck

Katie Hopkins calling migrants vermin recalls the darkest events of history
     Reply #6 - April 20, 2015, 11:14 AM

It's disgusting and pathetic that this is happening at all.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #7 - April 20, 2015, 01:46 PM

Because we scarcely ever talk about migrants except in terms of what they’re worth: how much they grow the economy or take from it, how much wealth they create in student fees or investment, what they do to wages with their pesky hard work and willingness to be exploited.

Political parties talk about migration as something to attract or repel, a tango between economic and political expediency. Human beings have no innate value in this worldview: there is no pride in representing the country that is safe and generous enough to offer a haven. Refugees, arriving with nothing, are worth nothing

Yes.
     Reply #8 - April 20, 2015, 02:57 PM

Trailer for Gabriele Grande's documentary On The Bride's Side
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ1Y43cIM60
    On the Bride’s Side: A Conversation with Filmmaker Gabriele Del Grande

The documentary On the Bride’s Side details the journey from Milan to Stockholm by five undocumented Syrian and Palestinian refugees fleeing the war in Syria. The refugees and their supporters traveled as a fake wedding party complete with a bride in a white gown, hoping to avoid detection and arrest. We spoke with one of the directors, Gabriele Del Grande, about the film.

How did you come to be involved in making a film about refugees?

It happened by chance. I live in Milan which has become a gathering point and transit hub for Syrian refugees. They come here straight from the coast and travel on to their final destination elsewhere in Europe. You can tell the refugees because they all have sunburnt noses from their time at sea.

This was October 2013. I had been in Syria until September, and my friend Khaled [Soliman Al Nassiry] and I wanted to help some of these people. We were in the station and a man overheard us talking in Arabic. He asked us which platform the train for Sweden left from. I told him that unfortunately there was no such train, but we’d be happy to buy him a coffee and talk.

We quickly became friends with this man, Abdallah. He had survived the terrible shipwreck off the island of Lampedusa, when more than 350 refugees had died. Khaled and I said we had to do something for him, and we talked to Antonio [Angliaro] and came up with the idea of the fake wedding and the film. Antonio is a filmmaker, I am a journalist, and Khaled is a writer and a poet, and we combined our skills to make the movie.

In the film, Abdallah talks about the refugee ship sinking. It’s such a powerful scene.

At this point the high seas were not being patrolled and there were two devastating sinkings in the same month. Now with the Mare Nostrum policy, the Italian Navy is picking up refugees far from the Italian coast and bringing them to Sicily or the mainland and not to the island of Lampedusa, which is causing political problems with the xenophobic parties in the north of the country.

The passage is still extremely dangerous.

It is. People come to Italy from North Africa, the Horn of Africa—Eritrea and Somalia. Since the war started, half are from Syria. It is very difficult to get a visa to travel to Europe from these regions, so the only way they can escape a war, or look for a better life, is to take to the ocean. And because they have no documents, they have to pay a trafficker to take them to a sympathetic country like Germany or Sweden.

What is the solution?

We must allow people to travel. If Europe had a common system of asylum, and refugees were free to move from one country to another, they wouldn’t have to put themselves in the hands of the smugglers.

We have the experience of the Balkans, and the liberalization of movement from the new member states of the EU. Albanians used to need a visa to come to Italy, and thousands used smugglers to get here. Then the rules were changed. Now we have more than 100,000 people coming here across the sea when we could be issuing visas.

You believe that Europe has a responsibility to help these people?

Of course. Syria is a neighbor, and the war has caused seven or eight million people to become refugees or displaced people. Our Interior Ministry says that 11,300 Syrians came to Italy in 2013 by boat, and only 600 applied for asylum. The rest went somewhere else in Europe. This is a tiny percentage, and apparently we cannot supply them even with a minimum of services.

To me it is very simple. If my neighbor’s home is burning, I open my door. There’s nothing to consider—you let them in and figure out how you can share what you have later. If you shut the door, the neighbor is going to die.

We have the war in Syria, war in Gaza, war in Libya, the war against the Islamic State. The region is in a perilous state. I’m not just an Italian; the Mediterranean Sea is part of my identity and it has two shores: north and south. It’s my sea, these are my people, and we have to show solidarity.

I’m not the government, so I don’t make the decisions. But I know a lot of people feel the same way I do. The film proves that—we were supported by the biggest crowdfunding campaign in Italy.

There’s a strong sense from the film of people coming together to help, notably the bride herself, Tasneem Fared. Tell us about her.

She describes in the film how she stayed behind in Syria to continue her work as an activist even as her friends were being killed. She has a German passport and could have left at any time. When she finally left, we asked her to be our bride and she accepted.

She talks about living in Syria in this war. Despite all the death and destruction, there is so much life, she says. I want that to be the message of the film. More than 20,000 people have died on the Mediterranean in the last 20 years. But we are alive, and we have to fight to change what has happened. The Mediterranean should not be the mass graveyard it has been, but a sea of life and of peace.

http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/voices/bride-s-side-conversation-filmmaker-gabriele-del-grande

More about the documentary: http://www.iostoconlasposa.com/en/

Gabriele Grande's blog: http://fortresseurope.blogspot.co.uk/2006/02/immigrants-dead-at-frontiers-of-europe_16.html

Excerpts from the documentary
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sZsQtrnild0
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NEdSRTdik20
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Np9lOuVY6NI
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3_JrVGywCx8
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LVZ2aka1zMY
    And an update
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_stJD-IcXg
     Reply #9 - April 21, 2015, 04:12 PM

Amnesty International - The Human Cost of Fortress Europe

http://www.amnesty.eu/content/assets/Reports/EUR_050012014__Fortress_Europe_complete_web_EN.pdf
     Reply #10 - April 21, 2015, 05:01 PM

Katie Hopkins is DISGUISING Human Being says Katie Price

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfFjE_Zck-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M9JBT1bh3M

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #11 - April 23, 2015, 01:46 AM

Her language reminds me of that film "Hotel Rwanda" where this radio presenter constantly rants on about cockroaches in the run up to the Rwandan genodice.  She's a thoroughly horrible person, and exactly the type I would expect to thrive and get rich and famous among the sick culture of Britain's tabloid press.

These people hacked a murdered schoolgirl's mobile phone to get a scoop, what makes anyone think they would care about anonymous foreigners drowning in the Meditteranean thousands of miles away?

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #12 - April 23, 2015, 11:42 AM

She's definitely got mental or extreme self esteem issues..
     Reply #13 - April 23, 2015, 11:51 AM

She's definitely got mental or extreme self esteem issues..

one should not give importance to the nonsense talk of a  40 year old stupid child that throws tantrums  in to press for no good  reason but to get attention..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #14 - April 23, 2015, 11:58 AM

It's a shame she has allowed herself to stoop this low, what a waste of an intelligent and witty lady, she could never turn this around, I doubt it, her TV career will probably be over.
     Reply #15 - April 25, 2015, 06:59 PM

UN human rights chief denounces Sun over Katie Hopkins 'cockroach' column

High commissioner launches scathing attack on tabloid columnist, comparing Hopkins’ migrant remarks with hate language used before Rwandan genocide

The UN’s human rights chief has attacked the Sun newspaper for publishing an article by columnist Katie Hopkins, branding her use of the word “cockroaches” to describe migrants as reminiscent of anti-Semitic Nazi propaganda.

In a scathing and extraordinary intervention, the UN high commissioner for human rights, Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein, points out that the word “cockroaches” was used by both the Nazis and those behind the genocide in Rwanda, and urges the UK government, media and regulators to respect national and international laws on curbing incitement to hatred.

“The Nazi media described people their masters wanted to eliminate as rats and cockroaches,” said Zeid.

“This type of language is clearly inflammatory and unacceptable, especially in a national newspaper. The Sun’s editors took an editorial decision to publish this article, and – if it is found in breach of the law – should be held responsible along with the author.”

But such language, he added, was typical of “decades of sustained and unrestrained anti-foreigner abuse, misinformation and distortion” when it came to the reporting of migrant and refugee issues in the British media.

On 17 April, Hopkins – a columnist for the Sun, Britain’s biggest-selling newspaper – wrote that she was resolutely unmoved by the plight of those risking their lives by crossing the Mediterranean.

Hopkins, a former contestant on the BBC1 show The Apprentice, and perennial courter of controversy, wrote: “No, I don’t care. Show me pictures of coffins, show me bodies floating in water, play violins and show me skinny people looking sad. I still don’t care.”

Hopkins added: “Make no mistake, these migrants are like cockroaches. They might look a bit ‘Bob Geldof’s Ethiopia circa 1984’, but they are built to survive a nuclear bomb. They are survivors.”

The column appeared hours before a fishing vessel packed with migrants capsized off the coast of Libya, with the loss of 800 lives.

A spokesperson for the UK industry regulator, the Independent Press Standards Organisation, said: “We can confirm that there have been more than 300 complaints about the article. IPSO is investigating whether the piece breaches the Editors’ Code and will publish its findings in due course. While this process continues, it would not be right to provide a detailed response on the investigation or the broader issues it raises.”

Zeid said Hopkins’ column was far from an isolated incident, accusing the British tabloid press of consistently attacking and vilifying migrants.

“This vicious verbal assault on migrants and asylum seekers in the UK tabloid press has continued unchallenged under the law for far too long,” he said.

“I am an unswerving advocate of freedom of expression, which is guaranteed under Article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), but it is not absolute. Article 20 of the same covenant says: ‘Any advocacy of national, racial or religious hatred that constitutes incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence shall be prohibited by law.’”

The commissioner also accused the Daily Express of seeking to whip up anti-foreigner prejudice.

“To give just one glimpse of the scale of the problem, back in 2003 the Daily Express ran 22 negative front pages stories about asylum seekers and refugees in a single 31-day period,” he said.

“Asylum seekers and migrants have, day after day, for years on end, been linked to rape, murder, diseases such as HIV and TB, theft, and almost every conceivable crime and misdemeanour imaginable in front-page articles and two-page spreads, in cartoons, editorials, even on the sports pages of almost all the UK’s national tabloid newspapers.”

But many of the stories, said Zeid, had been “grossly distorted” or subsequently revealed to be “outright fabrications”.

Although he conceded that “a similar process of demonisation” was taking place elsewhere in Europe, he said it was “usually led by extremist political parties or demagogues rather than extremist media”.

Zeid said that all European countries needed to crack down on racism and xenophobia, which, “under the guise of freedom of expression, are being allowed to feed a vicious cycle of vilification, intolerance and politicisation of migrants, as well as of marginalised European minorities such as the Roma”.

He also highlighted the fact that both the ICCPR and elements of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination – both of which have been ratified by the UK and other European countries – had sprung from a desire to avoid a repetition of the Holocaust.

“History has shown us time and again the dangers of demonising foreigners and minorities, and it is extraordinary and deeply shameful to see these types of tactics being used in a variety of countries, simply because racism and xenophobia are so easy to arouse in order to win votes or sell newspapers,” he said.

While there was a valid public debate to be had on migration and refugee issues, he said, the discussions had to be based on facts rather than “fiction or blatant xenophobia”.

Zeid added that twisted and prejudiced reporting was sapping compassion for those fleeing conflict, human rights abuses and economic deprivation, as well as those now drowning in the Mediterranean.

He said the “nasty underbelly of racism” now characterising the migration debate in more and more European countries was even skewing the EU response to the crisis.

Thursday’s emergency meeting of European leaders, he added, had focused “on deterrence and on preventing movement at all costs, [which] risks making the crisis even worse, and could sadly result in further massive loss of life”.

Zeid is the second senior UN official to criticise Hopkins. On Wednesday, François Crépeau, the UN special rapporteur on the human rights of migrants, said people such as the columnist were helping to win votes by “migrant-bashing”.

Crépeau said politicians needed to show proper leadership: “We need people who are able to say to that Sun journalist, ‘You’re wrong and you should know that.’”

Hopkins used her column in the newspaper on Friday to address her previous remarks, describing the outcry the piece provoked as a “cautionary tale”.

She wrote: “I am reminded of the power of the pen. One should be brave enough to speak out - but aware of the dangers which lurk in the depths of our vocabulary.

“No one wants to see images of children drowned at sea, no matter what their journey or their destination. The next time you are thinking of clicking on a petition, don’t be angry about words.

“Accept our opinions differ. Channel your outrage at the regimes causing people to flee. And be part of the solution.”

A Sun spokesman said neither Hopkins nor the paper would be commenting further.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #16 - April 28, 2015, 11:12 AM

Border controls continue to kill

http://libcom.org/blog/border-controls-continue-kill-22042015
     Reply #17 - April 29, 2015, 11:56 PM

Darth Nader - On the Mediterranean

http://darthnader.net
     Reply #18 - April 30, 2015, 12:18 AM

The nationality of migrants from Libya to Italy - from here

Reply #19 - May 20, 2015, 03:20 PM

Twisting the 'lessons of history' to authorise unjustifiable violence: the Mediterranean crisis

https://opendemocracy.net/beyondslavery/twisting-“lessons-of-history”-to-excuse-unjustifiable-violence-mediterranean-refugee-c
    European Union political leaders have announced that their response to the staggering loss of life amongst migrants crossing the Mediterranean in unseaworthy vessels will be the use of force to smash the so-called ‘networks’ that operate out of Libya to orchestrate the perilous sea crossings. How? On May 11, EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini stated that "No one is thinking of bombing. I'm talking about a naval operation," but two days later, the Guardian reported on a leaked strategy paper for an EU mission in the Mediterranean and in Libyan territorial waters proposing an air and naval campaign. This, the paper said, would lead to ‘collateral damage’. In other words, adults and children boarding or aboard the vessels under attack might be killed....

This sounds like the EU adopting the Katie Hopkins policy.
     Reply #20 - May 22, 2015, 11:23 PM

The migrant crisis on Greece's islands

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-migrant-crisis-on-greeces-islands

Palestinian boat people search for a new home

http://972mag.com/lifelong-refugees-palestinian-boat-people-search-for-a-new-home/106943/

Walking North - Europe's crisis of conscience

http://teacherdudebbq.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/walking-north.html?spref=tw
     Reply #21 - May 22, 2015, 11:31 PM

I suspect she is doing this deliberately to get attention. She really is not that significant. I blame the media for giving her a platform.
     Reply #22 - May 23, 2015, 04:15 PM

^^ Agreed.  I wish the media would stop publishing her pathetic, loathsome opinion.  Yet they do, and people continue to give her the attention she is craving.

I thoroughly detest this vile example of humanity.  Narcissistic, uneducated, Conservative twat.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #23 - May 24, 2015, 09:44 AM

An extraordinary escape: survivors of migrant boat disaster tell their stories

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/22/migrant-boat-disaster-mediterranean-survivors-stories
     Reply #24 - May 26, 2015, 04:05 PM

Syrian refugees in the UK

http://www.theguardian.com/global/2015/may/26/syrian-refugees-uk-we-will-build-country-boat-smuggle
     Reply #25 - September 05, 2015, 08:54 PM

Reply #26 - September 06, 2015, 01:15 AM

Cheesy

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #27 - September 06, 2015, 02:10 AM

I support this 100%.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »