Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Are you an ex muslim?
Today at 04:16 AM

Opinion: Black Lives Matt...
Today at 03:41 AM

Question to muslims
Today at 01:50 AM

Opening the door
Today at 01:46 AM

London attack :(
Today at 01:45 AM

Extremely British Muslim ...
Today at 12:21 AM

Funny/Cool/Interesting me...
Yesterday at 02:47 PM

Putting Faith in its Plac...
Yesterday at 02:35 PM

Can anyone explain this p...
Yesterday at 09:40 AM

Murtad Mama
Yesterday at 12:14 AM

lets live life one Quote ...
March 21, 2017, 05:57 PM

List of Contradictions in...
March 21, 2017, 03:15 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Qur'anic studies today

(Read 97298 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 46 47 48« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1410 - March 15, 2017, 08:12 AM

awkward misfire

crone on Mecca.

Why shouldn't chunks of the Quran be older than the 600's? From other places?

Another vector is the process of creating religions. Sikhism has bits of Islam xianity and Hinduism.

Xianity Judaism and the religion of the true gods.

Islam xianity Judaism Zarathustra....

Isn't what they assert about themselves their own marketing?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1411 - March 15, 2017, 11:25 AM

It's doubtful that Arabic was spoken in Yemen before the conquests, unless maybe by pastoralist tribes.

I´m confused...the south Arabian script found in Yemen didnt represent an "Arabic" language then?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1412 - March 15, 2017, 06:42 PM

I'm not aware of Arabic being written in South Arabian script in Yemen. I think there are inscriptions in Arabic or Arabic like languages using some form of South Arabian script found much further north in Arabia, from an earlier period. Old South Arabian languages were distinct from Arabic. Non-Arabic languages are still spoken in parts of Yemen and Oman, but these belong to a separate group of Semitic languages known as Modern South Arabian.

Wiki on South Arabian script and Old South Arabian languages. Wiki describes Himyaritic as being distinct from Old South Arabian but I'm not sure whether this is justified or generally accepted.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1413 - March 16, 2017, 12:17 AM

Thanks Zeca for deconfusing me!

Here is Kerr´s article again explaining in simple words what de linguistic situation of Arabia was:

Apparently he thinks Arabic was not the language of Mecca and Medina either beginning 7C.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1414 - March 16, 2017, 07:49 PM

Still the best simple explanation of the linguistic situation, based on the most current scholarship, is this presentation by Al-Jallad, IMO.

https://www.academia.edu/12755223/2015_More_reflections_on_the_linguistic_map_of_pre-Islamic_Arabia
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1415 - March 17, 2017, 06:53 PM

Thread: https://mobile.twitter.com/iandavidmorris/status/842782694014668803
    One of the earliest surviving fragments of Arabic historical writing. Papyrus, Palestine; 8th century?

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1416 - March 17, 2017, 07:01 PM

The Qur'an Seminar is now open access.

https://www.degruyter.com/viewbooktoc/product/462559?rskey=6OGxUY&result=1
    Quote from: Gabriel Said Reynolds
    The present volume is the work of 25 scholars who participated in the 2012–13 Notre Dame Qurʾān Seminar. The Qurʾān Seminar scholars represent various specializations important to the study of the Qurʾān, including Arabic language, comparative Semitic linguistics, paleography, epigraphy, history, rhetorical theory, hermeneutics, and Biblical studies. The 2012 – 13 Qurʾān Seminar project involved five conferences, each of which consisted of a series of ten sessions, with each session dedicated to a passage of the Qurʾān. After those conferences the editors of this work solicited written commentaries from the Qurʾān Seminar scholars. Subsequently we narrowed those commentaries down, seeking to eliminate redundancy, to the number found in the present work. A list in the opening section of this work (“Commentary Sections by Scholar”) indicates the passages for which each scholar has contributed a commentary.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1417 - March 18, 2017, 12:43 AM

I'm not aware of Arabic being written in South Arabian script in Yemen.

I just came across this, so there's one example at least, but from the early Islamic period:

Said Alsaid - Early South Arabian-Islamic bilingual inscription from Najran

https://www.academia.edu/27077515/Early_South_Arabian-Islamic_bilingual_inscription_from_Najran
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1418 - March 18, 2017, 03:30 AM

re Said Alsaid: a good article, but I don't think he's proven that the Arabic graffiti are third century. Leaving aside the script, the content looks like Nevo's Basic-Class: "o Allah, forgive xx bin yy, amin". And the one late letter in the graffito he offers as evidence is the medial ha'.

I think it's first century. Still interesting in that it shows that South Arabian script lasted into the Basic-Class era, even if it's still Indeterminate Monotheism rather than Islam per se.
  • Previous page 1 ... 46 47 48« Previous thread | Next thread »