Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 12:02 PM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Sharia in Greece

(Read 1482 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Sharia in Greece
     OP - April 11, 2015, 05:13 PM

Well out of sight, in her pleasant flat in Komotini, Thrace, in north-eastern Greece, Chatitze Molla Sali is speaking quietly. At times she is barely audible. It’s the voice of a tired 65-year-old, who for many years “lowered her gaze and accepted everything”, as she puts it. But she livens up at any mention of her new determination. She is the first woman from Greece’s Muslim minority to have taken a case to the European court of human rights, disputing a ruling based on sharia law that stripped her of part of her inheritance.

When her husband died in March 2008, he left her all his possessions in a will certified by a Greek solicitor. His family promptly disputed the legacy, complaining to the local mufti that under sharia Muslims are not allowed to make a will. Sali appealed to the civil courts, which endorsed her claim. But in October 2013 Greece’s supreme court ruled that matters of inheritance involving members of the Muslim minority must be settled by the mufti, as required by sharia law...

Read on: http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/apr/10/sharia-greece-human-rights-inheritance-law

This sounds like a legacy of the Ottoman millet system. I lived in Greece for a while and I had no idea this applied.

• Sharia in Greece
     Reply #1 - April 11, 2015, 07:09 PM

Good luck to her.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Sharia in Greece
     Reply #2 - April 14, 2015, 08:57 AM

Read on: http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/apr/10/sharia-greece-human-rights-inheritance-law

This sounds like a legacy of the Ottoman millet system. I lived in Greece for a while and I had no idea this applied.

WTF?Huh??? And I thought after 1400 years, Greeks are fed up with Islam!!!
  • Sharia in Greece
     Reply #3 - April 20, 2015, 10:45 PM

The entirely predictable result of having two parallel legal systems that sometimes conflict with one another.

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
  • Sharia in Greece
     Reply #4 - April 20, 2015, 11:27 PM

“I was overwhelmed,” Sali admits. “But I decided to fight and take the matter to the European Court of Human Rights. I’m a Greek citizen and Europe must uphold my rights.”

Sali’s religious faith is unshaken and she still sees the mufti as her spiritual father. But she disputes his right to lay down the law.

Relationship status: It's complicated

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »