Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: I am an ex muslim and I badly need help to survive!

(Read 18268 times)
  • 12 3 ... 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • I am an ex muslim and I badly need help to survive!
     OP - April 06, 2015, 12:32 PM

I have recently left islam and now I dont see any point in living anymore. I always dreamed that I will be an excellent muslim and get jannat ul firdous. But now I have found out just how much delusions I have been living with. Now I know that islam is fake, I dont know what to do with my life anymore. I am 19 and my life sucks. I now only have two options-
    1. suicide
    2. improve myself and start making money
    well improving myself seems impossible to me because I have no social skills. No matter how hard I try I cant learn how to act around people. It seems like the hardest thing to me. Fellow ex muslims, help me with some advice.
     Reply #1 - April 06, 2015, 01:21 PM

Welcome!

Please don't consider suicide. You sound very bright, and there's so much more out there for you. Islam wasn't and isn't everything. Leaving a religion is really hard, and it's normal to feel depressed afterward, so if you're in a place where you have resources available such as therapy, you really should consider reaching out for help.

Social skills definitely improve over time. In my youth, I was incredibly socially awkward and shy, and I remember a professor of mine saying, "I used to be just like you when I was your age, but I practiced speaking, and over time, look: now I am comfortable giving a lecture in front of a hundred students." And I remember thinking he was sweet but didn't know what he was talking about, but only a few years later, I've almost completely worked that out. It really is just something that gets better with practice.

Is there something in particular you'd like to do as a profession?

Reply #2 - April 06, 2015, 01:32 PM

Welcome!

Please don't consider suicide. You sound very bright, and there's so much more out there for you. Islam wasn't and isn't everything. Leaving a religion is really hard, and it's normal to feel depressed afterward, so if you're in a place where you have resources available such as therapy, you really should consider reaching out for help.

Social skills definitely improve over time. In my youth, I was incredibly socially awkward and shy, and I remember a professor of mine saying, "I used to be just like you when I was your age, but I practiced speaking, and over time, look: now I am comfortable giving a lecture in front of a hundred students." And I remember thinking he was sweet but didn't know what he was talking about, but only a few years later, I've almost completely worked that out. It really is just something that gets better with practice.

Is there something in particular you'd like to do as a profession?

yes I would like to be a pharmacist
     Reply #3 - April 06, 2015, 01:43 PM

That's great! Have you looked into your options for school?
     Reply #4 - April 06, 2015, 01:48 PM

That's great! Have you looked into your options for school?

well I live in a third world country so it doesnt matter which school I get admitted to because none of them are famous or anything. I dont have the money to go abroad either
     Reply #5 - April 06, 2015, 02:05 PM

You don't necessarily need a famous school or anything, just a program that will work in your country. You should definitely look into applying if you haven't, already. School is a great place to practice your social skills, too.
     Reply #6 - April 06, 2015, 02:16 PM

You don't necessarily need a famous school or anything, just a program that will work in your country. You should definitely look into applying if you haven't, already. School is a great place to practice your social skills, too.

thanks for the kind words. I am already in university but everything is fucked up because I dont know how to talk to people, have no friends and my teachers and advisers hate me for no reason.
     Reply #7 - April 06, 2015, 02:18 PM

Don't thank me, it's no problem! Are there clubs you can join at your school? Study groups, anything like that?
     Reply #8 - April 06, 2015, 02:21 PM

Don't thank me, it's no problem! Are there clubs you can join at your school? Study groups, anything like that?

there is no point in joining them because everyone ignores me
     Reply #9 - April 06, 2015, 02:25 PM

far away hug

Well, take it one step at a time. Sometimes baby steps like asking the person sitting next to you about the homework assignment for the day, or commenting on the material, or smiling at people when you pass them in the halls and saying, "Good morning." These little things will build up and might start to make people think of you as friendly and easier to talk to.
     Reply #10 - April 06, 2015, 02:32 PM

far away hug

Well, take it one step at a time. Sometimes baby steps like asking the person sitting next to you about the homework assignment for the day, or commenting on the material, or smiling at people when you pass them in the halls and saying, "Good morning." These little things will build up and might start to make people think of you as friendly and easier to talk to.

I have already tried things like that at the beginning of the semester about four boys started to hang out with me but now they have abandoned me for some unknown reasons and I cant make new friends because kids think I am the biggest loser as no one in the class gives a shit about me
     Reply #11 - April 06, 2015, 04:53 PM

I was shit tired when I wrote this so excuse the typos.

Hey Seeker, I truly hope you find some comfort here if not answers.

I thought I may open up to you and perhaps some insights into my own life may offer you something.

I'm not religious. I don't believe any of them to be true. It's not that I'm hostile towards religion, any religion, it's simply that I don't believe them. As someone who participated in Dawah I'm sure you realise that it's all about making sense. That's it in a nutshell.

I actually have a friend who converted to Hinduism. He read many religious books and studied in depth but it was never for him. Then one day he read the sacred texts of Hinduism, read the books of Hindu scholars, and that was it. It just clicked. Everything fell into place, everything made sense. He still wishes people a Merry Christmas and gives and receives gifts, and goes along with the tradition, not because he believes in it in a religious sense, he just thinks showing your appreciation to loved ones and the message of peace and goodwill to all the world is a good thing. Diwali is different, it's not just a nice tradition to him, it's truly a matter of faith. Come Diwali he'll dress in religious clothes, participate in the festivals, close his eyes in contemplation, pray, and affirm his faith in the divine, which he calls Krishna or Vishnu.

I also celebrate Christmas but am not a Christian. Last Christmas was spent at the house of a very good friend. I gave her a gift of emotional significance  It's a nice feeling, knowing someone cares enough to search for something special and knows you enough to know what you like. We spend Christmas sitting together drinking red wine and talking long into the night.

She lived for a time in quite a religious environment and believed but currently classes herself as an agnostic. At one point she asked me if I believed in reincarnation. I said no, I don't believe in anything supernatural. She asked me to be specific, so I was. That in my eyes religious teaching don't exist. No gods or devils. No angels or demons. No heaven or hell. No reincarnation. No karma.

But that doesn't mean I don't believe in anything, or that I have no codes or moral guidelines. I believe in honour. I believe in integrity. I believe in friendship. I believe in loyalty, I believe in truth. I believe in mercy. I believe in love.

I've always searched for the truth in things. I think it's something different about us currently, from what you've said. I'd rather have a painful truth than a happy lie. I don't think that no god equals no meaning. I don't think no afterlife equals worthless life. My mother doesn't believe in an afterlife. She believes that when she dies that's it. The end. She will cease to exist. And yet she would give her life for me without hesitation, with no promise of reward. She would do this because I'm her child. She loves me.

I've loved as well. I've loved so powerfully I'm consumed by it. The type of love where the very idea of someone hurting them turns the blood in your veins to liquid fire. I would die for those I love.

I also believe in family. But when I say family I don't classify that as blood alone. To me family is more than biology. There are men and women in my life who are not my blood, but they are my family. Family is the ties that bind. Bonds of trust and loyalty maintained and strengthened year after year. Family is comfort in times of sorrow and laughter in times of joy. It's selflessness. It's having someone who will go out of their way to be there for you if you need them.

Part of what you said reminded me of last year. Two friends who are a couple, the woman who at the time was pregnant. Today they have a beautiful daughter. When I was staying with them it was in the six month of pregnancy. I was her friend before I was his, I met him through her and we got on and grew close.

They live rurally out in the countryside. It was in the evening and I was sitting outside enjoying the Autumn night air. My friend came outside to sit with me. She seemed upset. She began talking about her childhood. In the years I've known her she's never dwelled much on the past, more on the present and the future, but was reflecting on her life to this point and the future life of her daughter. The conversation wasn't a happy one. At one point I said "You've never really told me about your childhood before. From what I know, I don't think I'd call it abusive, but it was definitely neglectful." She went quiet and told me when she was a child her father had raped her. The conversation went on. While staying with the two of them it was obvious she was depressed. In fact while we sat there I told her that, and that she was displaying textbook symptoms of clinical depression. I can't quote exact word for word, but .I remember the basic reply.

"I know. But I deal with it."
    "Bollocks do you. You try to shove it deep down. But its always there, every second of every day. You don't deal with it, you manage it." She didn't say anything, just looked off into the dark. We were silent for a moment then I spoke.
    "You ever hear the saying all that matters is what's in your heart?"
    "Yeah."
    "It's bullshit." She looked at me. "Right now what's in your heart is blackness and bile. But that's not the be all and end all unless you allow it. All that matters is what's in your heart is a lie for cowards to comfort themselves. What matters are our choices, and you have two in front of you. Number one, do nothing. Stay as you are, letting the depression get worse and worse. Or, number to, get help. Actually deal with it, get past it, and let it be a rapidly fading memory. There is no third choice. Whichever one you choose, that's who you are."

These are only very select things out of a long conversation but I thought maybe it would apply. I don't think because there's no god her life is meaningless. She's a new mother figuring out how to be a parent and both her and the father are devoted to their child.

Once upon a time I was on a train, sitting next to a Christian. I noticed he was wearing a cross. The ride lasted for hours and we had a conversation. I've always been very open and enjoy meeting new people. He confessed to me he was having a crisis of faith. If you don't give yourself to Jesus and accept him as your saviour you go to hell. He mentioned Gandhi, someone who was not a Christian but was a good man. He questioned his faith in a just merciful god who would send Gandhi to hell just for belonging to the wrong religion. I mentioned some Priests who have said publicly they believe good people who aren't Christians will go to heaven precisely because these Priests believe in a just and merciful god. This seemed to make him feel better. I also offered the opinion that perhaps you could follow Jesus in a way other than being a Christian. You don't have to believe he was god made flesh to see he had good teachings any more than you have to be Muslim to see the beauty and the poetry in the Quran. Do unto others as you would have done unto you, let he who is without sin cast the first stone, judge not lest ye be judged yourself, I think whatever your religion, or lack of religion, you can see the wisdom in that. Perhaps if your own life was lived in this Christ like way that would be following Jesus. Though Gandhi was a Hindu no one can deny many of his teachings and the way he lived his life is exactly how Christians try to live. If god truly is loving just and merciful the idea of a good person being punished for eternity is oxymoronic.

You may say this is picking and choosing, and you're right. That's exactly what it is. Having no god myself makes this rather easy. I can take the parts of the sunnahs and hadiths, and parts from any other religion or philosophy I like and discard the rest, and if I think parts of them do have good teachings I can or should apply, why not?

A physicist (I think it was Lawrence Krauss but I may be wrong) spoke about how we're the children of stars. That we have the same makeup as stars, just like the star we orbit, the sun. That the atoms in our left hand probably come from a different star than the atoms in our right hand. Think about that. Really think about it. For us to live, stars had to die. The physicist said it's the most beautiful, the most poetic thing in all of physics. But the thing is, physics doesn't care. Science has no heart, it has no soul. It's a tool to explore and gain knowledge. It takes the human mind, the human heart, to see the poetry, to see the beauty.

Which suddenly has me thinking about a number of debates I've watch, which I'm sure you've watched as well. It will be an atheist debating a theist, usually a Christian or a Muslim. Any every time, the atheist will ask the question "Would you really go out and steal, rape, murder if you lost your belief in god?" And every time the theist will say yes and every time the atheist won't expect that yes. The fact that the atheists keep being surprised by that yes should tell you more than the entire debate.

You said if there is no God, then what is the meaning and purpose of life? I think the answer to that is you have to find it for yourself. Being an atheist myself obviously I still follow codes and live a moral life without the threat of a god, without the threat of hellfire. In fact, I truly believe that if in the end nothing we do matters, all that matters is what we do. And even the smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

Where morals come from, I'd say us. It's ingrained into us on an evolutionary level because we're a social species. It's not just humans. In a wolf pack, if one wolf is to sick or old to hunt other wolves will hunt for it, sometimes chewing the food to make it easier for the sick/old wolf to eat. Primates will care for and guide other primates in their group who may be blind or have some other kind of disability. Dogs will run into a burning building to alert it's sleeping owners, or drag out a child. If we had evolved differently, into more solitary creatures, any morals we had would be alien to us from our current viewpoint  I imagine we'd still have communication and trade because it would benefit us. But yes, morals, right, wrong, good, evil, these are human inventions.

You may think that if it's just something we made up they aren't real. Obviously they are. The fact they come from us in no way lessens this. I don't know you. I've never met you. You aren't my friend, or my lover, or my sibling. You're words on a screen. But still myself and others are trying to advise and to comfort.  We do this because as human being we have empathy. You are a fellow human being and you are in pain, and myself and others understand this. It's the basis of morality. I understand it and I empathise with you as much as I can because I'm not a psychopath. When I see a fellow human being suffering I am moved to try and offer comfort. I'm rather tired right now so may not be making as much sense as I would if I were more awake and alert. Perhaps I've failed. Perhaps there's nothing I've said to ease your pain. But I've tried and I'll continue try if needed.

I'm not sure if you read my intro but I said that we are so lucky to be alive, and while we live we matter. We are here. We exist. And that's fantastic. In all the world, in all the universe, you are unique. There'll only ever be one of you. And you matter.

Glad I could help even in my so tired I'm almost about to pass out state  Smiley

You can still have spirituality. I get my own sense of that from many sources. Music, books, poetry, philosophy, and inner contemplation.

I work nights. This morning after I got home I watched the sunrise. I made a gin and tonic with a huge chuck of ice and went outside. I sat there, drink in one hand, cigarette in the other, and watched the magnificence of the dawn. The light and the colours, the red, the blue, the pink, the gold, that moment of twilight when you can see the sun and stars meet in the sky before the daylight chases them away. I watched the whole wonderful thing. And the sun rose in the east, shining brightly, still low enough that the sky was filled with colour. I sat and watched the sunrise, and I smiled.

Good to see you back mate. Stick around  Afro

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #12 - April 06, 2015, 04:55 PM

You get better at everything with practice. Even making friends. Used to not be able to make friends to save my life, but now I can make friends. Keeping them is harder, but I guess I can work on that too.

Keep your inner mental space positive, plan, and execute. Then you can reach goals, and attain rewards associated with self-improvement.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #13 - April 06, 2015, 06:46 PM

I have recently left islam and now I dont see any point in living anymore. I always dreamed that I will be an excellent muslim and get jannat ul firdous. But now I have found out just how much delusions I have been living with. Now I know that islam is fake, I dont know what to do with my life anymore. I am 19 and my life sucks. I now only have two options-
    1. suicide
    2. improve myself and start making money
    well improving myself seems impossible to me because I have no social skills. No matter how hard I try I cant learn how to act around people. It seems like the hardest thing to me. Fellow ex muslims, help me with some advice.

Hey Jack, great name!

Take it easy, you're only at the beginning of the real adventure that is your life, you've got a lot ahead of you and very likely loads to look forward to. I agree with you that Islam is fake, how could it not be - but that doesn't automatically cancel out the possibility of 'something else', but it does mean that if you want to find the truth, you can't rely on another's word for it, which is what most religions insist upon. There's from very good advice from Quod here I just read, if you're moving towards atheism, not to mention countless books, blogs - take it all in, weigh it up, and as you live your life, add your own experiences to the mix.... then become a drug addict, no not really Smiley...then become a pharmacist! Seriously, don't panic, and definitely don't allow Islam to take another victim - kick it's ugly butt instead. Afro

Ha Ha.
     Reply #14 - April 07, 2015, 04:01 AM

Bro, find a social group or some friends. Connect with them to get your mind off this.
     Reply #15 - April 20, 2015, 09:55 PM

Islam is sucks...its not the hope of life and will never will be!!!

try to make friends, if not, try any hobby

there is heaven for sure, and islam is not the only one who talk about it, nor discover it..Islam ONLY COPY it

I hope you are will, and will enjoy life Smiley
     Reply #16 - April 20, 2015, 10:07 PM

there is heaven for sure

You seem very sure. I'm curious to know why?
     Reply #17 - April 21, 2015, 06:39 AM

parrot parrot parrot

Are you in a muslim majority country?

If so, you might find it difficult to get support locally, so might have to do things tangentially.  Computer, music clubs?

Train spotting?  Ornithology?  Mountain climbing?

What do you love? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu1qa8N2ID0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #18 - April 21, 2015, 11:47 AM

You seem very sure. I'm curious to know why?

Because I hear about people experience visitng heaven after died temporarily and return back to life..some are not convinced..but I do
     Reply #19 - April 21, 2015, 12:41 PM

Those stories tend to subscribe to a person's notion of the afterlife though. Catholics have near death experiences and come back telling tales of Mary, Queen of Heaven. Protestants see Jesus, it's common or him to open his arms and say "I am god". Muslims tell of flaming judges or fields and rivers. Those without a firm belief in a specific afterlife experience multiple things. A light. a sense of peace, a garden, or even being a speck of dust on the wing of a giant butterfly. It doesn't seem real to me, simply the conjurations of our own minds.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #20 - April 21, 2015, 01:23 PM

Because I hear about people experience visitng heaven after died temporarily and return back to life..some are not convinced..but I do

I believe you are talking about what is commonly called "Near Death Experiences".

If you have looked into this, then you would know that they all vary but often revolve around observing oneself being resuscitated or seeing various things like lights, tunnels or floating above one's body.

You need a huge leap of "faith" to regard that as proof of life after death - not to mention as proof of a concept such as  "Heaven".

So what is this "Heaven" like, that you are so certain of?

Is it like the Islamic/Christian concepts of heaven? Or more like the Nirvana of Buddhism? Or do you have something else in mind?
     Reply #21 - April 21, 2015, 03:46 PM

People who drown in ice cold water can be dead for half an hour underwater and be resuscitated now without brain damage - they don't report anything .....

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #22 - April 21, 2015, 05:59 PM

Hi Jack,

welcome to the forum  parrot

Please keep care about yourself. I think you see the world very black. No one likes, everyone hates you.
    I don't think that is true. Maybe you're shy and they think you're cold to them.

I was also very shy when I was at the same age as you. I took me a while to overcome myself and speak to new people.
    Try to find social clubs in your university that fit your interests.

Take care of yourself and write us if you feel bad / depressed / suicidal  far away hug 
  • Re: I am an ex muslim and I badly need help to survive!
     Reply #23 - April 21, 2015, 10:30 PM

I believe you are talking about what is commonly called "Near Death Experiences".

If you have looked into this, then you would know that they all vary but often revolve around observing oneself being resuscitated or seeing various things like lights, tunnels or floating above one's body.

You need a huge leap of "faith" to regard that as proof of life after death - not to mention as proof of a concept such as  "Heaven".

So what is this "Heaven" like, that you are so certain of?

Is it like the Islamic/Christian concepts of heaven? Or more like the Nirvana of Buddhism? Or do you have something else in mind?

Yes it is called near death experience, but not only this one!!!

some people who remember their past life has speak about it...the reason that some claim saw jesus, or mohamed or whatever, its because they saw some one there, and because if their religion, they assume its the one they worship!!

the one they saw is not mohamed, nor jesus

I believe in different heavens, our world are too big to be one heaven..in short, yes I believe in Nirvana and Buddhism
  • Re: I am an ex muslim and I badly need help to survive!
     Reply #24 - April 21, 2015, 10:34 PM

Those stories tend to subscribe to a person's notion of the afterlife though. Catholics have near death experiences and come back telling tales of Mary, Queen of Heaven. Protestants see Jesus, it's common or him to open his arms and say "I am god". Muslims tell of flaming judges or fields and rivers. Those without a firm belief in a specific afterlife experience multiple things. A light. a sense of peace, a garden, or even being a speck of dust on the wing of a giant butterfly. It doesn't seem real to me, simply the conjurations of our own minds.

what they saw is true, because its largely similiar..almost every one has said they saw the tunnel that separate our life from after life!!!! what they saw like I said in my previous post, they try to associated with their religion..but its same..but they came with different interpretation because of their religions
     Reply #25 - April 21, 2015, 11:11 PM

Yes it is called near death experience, but not only this one!!!

some people who remember their past life has speak about it...the reason that some claim saw jesus, or mohamed or whatever, its because they saw some one there, and because if their religion, they assume its the one they worship!!

the one they saw is not mohamed, nor jesus

I believe in different heavens, our world are too big to be one heaven..in short, yes I believe in Nirvana and Buddhism

Cool - so we can pick and choose a heaven that suits us.  Afro

I want one where I can travel around the universe like Captain Kirk in Star Trek and keep meeting different people and going to new places and having cool adventures and making great speeches at the end of them about humanity. I would like to have a really cool starship and a beautiful wife and all my kids with me.

dance
     Reply #26 - April 21, 2015, 11:12 PM

Uhura... I want Uhura to be my wife.
     Reply #27 - April 21, 2015, 11:20 PM

Reply #28 - April 21, 2015, 11:22 PM

Cool - so we can pick and choose a heaven that suits us.  Afro

I want one where I can travel around the universe like Captain Kirk in Star Trek and keep meeting different people and going to new places and having cool adventures and making great speeches at the end of them about humanity. I would like to have a really cool starship and a beautiful wife and all my kids with me.

dance

seek it with all your heart and you will find it  Roll Eyes
     Reply #29 - April 21, 2015, 11:24 PM

Hey what's with the *roll eyes* - if your Nirvana is real then why not my starship?  Tongue
  • 12 3 ... 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »