Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Surah 106 -- The Quraysh?

(Read 3891 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Surah 106 -- The Quraysh?
     OP - March 31, 2015, 06:18 PM

Surah 105 (al Fil) and Surah 106 (Quraysh) have often been read together as similar texts composed at a similar time.  I've written a long article on Surah 105.  But what about Surah 106?  Luxenberg and Tom Holland have argued that "quraysh" is a Syriacism that meant 'confederation,' not an Arab tribe.  Ian Morris has written an article arguing against that.

http://www.iandavidmorris.com/quraysh-and-confederacy/

Looking at Surah 106 carefully, the two first ayas strike me as very poorly understood, and they contain almost entirely hapax legomen.

http://corpus.quran.com/wordbyword.jsp?chapter=106&verse=1

Specifically, "liīlāfi" and "īlāfihim" are used only in Surah 106:1-2 itself.  Nowhere else in the Qur'an.

http://corpus.quran.com/qurandictionary.jsp?q=Alf#%28106:1:1%29

"Qurayshin" is used only in Surah 106:2.  Nowhere else in the Qur'an does the term Quraysh appear (!).

"riḥ'lata," nowhere else used in the sense of "journey".  Just in 106:2.  (The root is used in three other places to mean "bags."  That's it).

"l-shitāi", only used in 106:2.  Nowhere else.

"wal-ṣayfi", only used in 106:2.  Nowhere else.

Of the six words used in 106:1-2, all six are hapaxes with no parallel anywhere else in the Qur'an.  This suggests something may be deeply wrong here in the traditional reading of this textual unit.

Approaching the issue from a theological and literary, rather than historical/linguistic, perspective, I think Holland and Luxenberg's interpretation is very unlikely, for reasons entirely different than those given by Morris.  If we assume (as I generally do) that the oldest and most poorly understood Qur'anic text represents a sort of provincial Arabic preaching of Syriac-influenced Christian religious beliefs, why would Q 106 be addressed to a *political federation*?  That could make sense in later Qur'anic texts.  But in the earliest texts, you would expect the audience to be a *small community of pious believers*.

So on grounds of literary and textual coherence, I would expect the beginning of Q 106 to most likely be some sort of address to such a small religious group (much like the traditional Islamic interpretation does, ironically).  Not a political confederacy.  So what, then, would Quraysh mean?  Morris talks about how it is only attested in Syriac as a term for *collecting*.  I would suggest that the obvious candidate is simply a *gathering* of pious believers.  Not a political confederacy.  Quraysh might then be translated as "collection/gathering/flock."

This is consistent with what Morris says about the postulated Syriac derivation:  "It’s a hypothetical creation of Luxenberg’s and Holland’s, who merely extrapolate from another word, which is attested: qrash, meaning ‘gather’."

But thinking of this as an address to a gathering of pious religious believers substitutes a far more (I think) likely explanation for what the word is doing, and makes it more consistent with how you would expect the term to be used in Q 106.

Another question.  What then, does "liīlāfi" mean as used in Q 106:1?  It is usually translated as 'security' or 'familiarity.'  I'd suggest that if you look at all the other Qur'anic uses of the same root:

http://corpus.quran.com/qurandictionary.jsp?q=Alf#%28106:1:1%29

Then maybe this use of "liīlāfi" and "īlāfihim" is better interpreted as a reference to the *reconciliation/joining/affection* of the Quraysh.

If that's all right, and this is just thinking out loud, then Q 106:1-2 may simply be talking about the believers *joining together/gathering* in harmony to worship their Lord (rabba) who protects them from hunger and from fear.  Thus Q 106 would be a relatively simple and coherent message, not an address to a specific political group called the Quraysh. 
     Reply #1 - March 31, 2015, 06:25 PM

Btw a quick google search I made after the post above shows some Tafsir affirmatively arguing that "ilaf" actually meant "gather," so that the "Quraysh" were being "gathered together/united." 

http://www.alquranclasses.com/surah-quraish-al-quran-tafseer/

And ironically I think that would support my thesis here that this is talking about a gathering together of the faithful, not an assembly of some of political entity/group.
     Reply #2 - April 01, 2015, 12:38 AM

Morris points out that qrash is rare in both Arabic and Syriac. Arabic prefers jama', as every Muslim is reminded on every Friday. Fair enough, but...

If qrash is rare in these two Semitic languages, then is it really Semitic? Whoever thought it up first, the seventh-century Arabs or the eighth-century Syrians, we're still left wondering where they got it from. Luxenberg and Holland failed to make their case, and Morris does demonstrate that much; but I'm not seeing where Morris even attempts an alternative.

Zaotar: If you're right that the word belongs to the liturgy, it's interesting that here the liturgy might be nonSemitic or at least non-North-Semitic. Should we be digging around the Sabaean and Ethiopic lexicons? is qrash Iranian perhaps?
     Reply #3 - April 01, 2015, 02:44 AM

You know it's interesting you say that ... from Q 105, fil and sijjil are both currently believed to be Iranian derivatives (fil is an uncontroversial Persian borrowing, Jefferies and de Blois argue sijjil was originally Middle Persian).  Ababila from Q 105 nobody has any credible etymological explanation for.

For Q 106, the big classic hypothesis on Quraysh is that it is derived from a Greek term for a certain small shark (thus an Indo-European word used in a totemic sense).  Supposedly the Quraysh adopted the name as a 'totem' of their tribe.  That this Greek hypothesis is taken seriously is incredible, as it strikes me as super-stupid, particularly for an alleged Hijazi clan.  But nonetheless Noldeke and Jefferies seem to have held to it.  I cannot imagine why, other than that nothing else worked.

The Semitic origins seem to have been burned to the ground by Semitists with no results, so ASA and Ethiopic are probably no help.  What I would expect is that the word as used in Q 106 effectively meant "congregation" or at least "gathering."  I would be interested to know if there might be an Iranian etymological explanation for that.  Currently tho I lean towards it being an obscure Northern Arabic (Nabatean?) term, equivalent to (as you say) the jama complex.  I do not like the Syriac theory at all for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that Syriac borrowing in the Qur'an seem to be focused on technical religious vocabulary, which doesn't seem to be the issue here with Quraysh.
     Reply #4 - April 01, 2015, 07:14 AM

This looks like something that would be of interest to me. Unfortunately, I don't have enough of my brain working right now to concentrate. I don't know how to bookmark something, so I'm leaving a comment so I can come back when I have more brain working.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #5 - April 01, 2015, 07:26 AM

Have you looked at Hebrew or Old Aramaic?
     Reply #6 - April 01, 2015, 02:07 PM

No, but I assume guys like Noldeke and Jefferies would have done so.  I think there are two separate issues.  One is etymology.  The second is meaning.  The etymology is actually much less important because I take the Classical Arabic understanding of the term -- to mean a 'gathered together' group, supposedly because Qussay 'gathered' the Quraysh together in Mecca (the Quraysh were formerly, allegedly, called the Banu Nadr bin Kinana, and were dispersed throughout the region amongst other tribes) -- to correctly identify the meaning as used in Q 106.   It would be nice to know the etymology if it sheds light on a liturgical/religious origin for the term -- that would need to be demonstrated in either a Jewish or (more likely) Semitic Christian context.  But it can be done without.

The meaning is more important.  You can still analyze Q 106 in two ways once you accept that Quraysh simply means people who are gathered together.  One is what I would call dogma-critical, which is analyzing the text so that it makes coherent theological sense (the weakness, of course, is that what makes sense is largely a presumption going in -- although assuming its meaning is parallel to other related 'Early Meccan' surahs should be less controversial).  That is what Tom Holland and Luxenberg do, I just think they did it with the wrong presumptions.  The second is to do a careful analysis of the other terms in the surah, particularly with respect to parallel usage of their Qur'anic counterparts (rather than the medieval interpretive apparatus).

Btw, the analysis proposed above has probably not been done because everybody has presumed the Quraysh were an ancient tribal lineage that existed at the time of Q 106.  Even Luxenberg and Holland assume it was some sort of tribal confederacy.  But in my view, it is more likely that it was an unusual theological term for the believers which Arab tribes later *identified themselves* with in connection with the rise of Qur'anic theology.  Its original use would have been for a gathering of believers worshiping together in a religious community.  In later uses, this hardened into a *political* community, such that the Quraysh went from a sort of informal religious term (Q 106) to a specific political term.  And of course there would have been great incentive to identify yourself as among the Quraysh.  This process of seizing upon the few apparent 'contemporary proper nouns' in the Qur'an and elaborating wildly on them is highly characteristic of the development of Islam, cf. Abu Lahab.

In other words, the traditional explanation that the Quraysh were dispersed amongst the tribes and then assembled together about 200 years before Mo, changing their name, is probably a sort of correct statement of what happened, except that it happened much later, more quickly, and as part of the temporal transition that the Qur'an itself displays from weak small community of believers to overwhelming jihadi force.
     Reply #7 - April 01, 2015, 02:14 PM

How different is the language of the Koran? I get the impression it is self referencing - are there not equivalent documents with similar language? And did not editing happen?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #8 - April 01, 2015, 02:23 PM

Morris seems to be assuming an Arabian desert location for these tales.

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #9 - April 01, 2015, 04:22 PM

Btw, here's a very good article from Manfred Kropp talking about this general problem within Semitics, and particularly within the Qur'an -- the ambiguity between proper and common nouns, where Islamic tradition and scholars take terms to be proper nouns when they are actually obscure common nouns.

https://www.academia.edu/1823617/_People_of_powerful_South_Arabian_kings_or_just_people_of_their_kind_we_annihilated_before_Proper_noun_or_common_noun_in_Qur%CA%BE%C4%81n_44_37_and_50_14

So if my theory is right, Quraysh is simply another example that was seized upon by the emerging community of Believers.  Why would the term be seized upon?  Simple, because even though it was a common noun (in my theory) the Qur'anic term 'Quraysh' was so rare/marginal in ordinary Arabic that it could easily be projected on by the later Believers as if it were a proper noun (there were no linguistic/textual constraints against that projection, since it wasn't actually a proper noun, and its common noun meaning was extremely obscure).  Similar to how the metaphorical Abu Lahab became interpreted as a specific name of a real person, and a history was written.  Abu Lahab couldn't call foul on that, because Abu Lahab didn't exist.

The political-religious utility of that maneuver should be obvious.  In its transitional state, "Quraysh" became interpreted as a term for those believers who were not 'core' Mohammed followers from the start, but who 'gathered together' after they had seen the light and become unified in the context of Arabic political conflict.  This would explain the fact that the self-identified Quraysh knew they had little to do with a historical Mohammed's early movement and its initial emergence -- they were peripheral, secondary players who had actively opposed Mohammed's movement for a long time, and joined the game relatively late, renouncing their polytheism at the very end of Mo's life.  After most of the Qur'an had already been delivered (in the traditional account).

So there was the original Q 106 meaning (congregation/assembly), the initial believer meaning (those conquest-era Arabic speakers who had gathered together and anachronistically perceived themselves as having secondarily/belatedly joined the archaic political-religious community reflected in the earliest Qur'anic texts), and the traditional Islamic meaning -- a specific tribe which was gathered together and renamed by Mo's great-great-great grandpa.

Here's a proposed new reading of Q 106 on theological-dogmatic grounds:

For the composing of the congregation
    Their composing by the winter and summer journeys [i.e. year-round or periodic assembly of believers]
    Let them worship the Lord of this House.
    Who has fed them against hunger and secured them from fear.

Compare that to Arberry's translation:

For the composing of Koraish,
    their composing for the winter and summer caravan!
    So let them serve the Lord of this House
    who has fed them against hunger and secured them from fear.

Note the only difference between my proposal and Arberry's translation is that I take Quraysh as a common noun meaning gathering/assembly/congregation, and I take the reference to "saddlebags",  awkwardly translated into English by Arberry and some others as "caravan," to mean "journey."  The Qur'an has its own separate word for "caravan," used alongside "saddlebags" in the story of Joseph.  Q 106 does not use that word for caravan.  Instead it uses the word for saddlebags, evidently as metaphor for "journey."

http://corpus.quran.com/qurandictionary.jsp?q=rHl#%28106:2:2%29

That's why Yusuf Ali and Sarwar both translate the same term more literally as "journey" rather than "caravan."  So I am just following suit -- this seems correct and more literal.

http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=106&verse=1

Note the more literal word-by-word translation, "Their familiarity (with the) journey (of) winter and summer."  Just substitute in Arberry's 'composing' for 'familiarity,' and I think this correctly states the meaning.
     Reply #10 - April 12, 2015, 04:59 PM

Bump to say I have now formed (after considerable analysis) an Inarah-type reading of the surah.  I ended up in an unexpected place that seems to make beautiful sense of everything.  I'll write it up and hopefully post it soon.
     Reply #11 - April 13, 2015, 12:45 AM

Afro

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #12 - April 13, 2015, 04:22 PM

Bump to say I have now formed (after considerable analysis) an Inarah-type reading of the surah.  I ended up in an unexpected place that seems to make beautiful sense of everything.  I'll write it up and hopefully post it soon.

Zaotar  you may be interested in reading Ibn Warraq's  article on A Personal Look at Some Aspects of the History of Koranic Criticism, 19th and 20th centuries1 

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »