Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What has happened to CEMB ?

(Read 4140 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What has happened to CEMB ?
     OP - March 30, 2015, 06:45 PM

theres been no new videos on the cemb youtube channel in two years , on their twitter, they just post what other organizations are doing and about news headlines. the london meet ups happen mainly on this reddit now. the cemb events are just really stand alone secular events anyone can go to and Maryam Namazie is doing this bread and roses show...but it's just about news head lines that we all know about anyway. it seem like Cemb has lost direction, what happened ? why no new content ?   I am the only one whos been feeling like this about CEMB ?
     Reply #1 - March 30, 2015, 06:48 PM

you mean you want more videos criticizing islam???

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
    Can't it be, can't it be mine

https://twitter.com/AlharbiMoe
     Reply #2 - March 30, 2015, 06:53 PM

Do you have any suggestions for the next CEMB youtube video?

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
    Can't it be, can't it be mine

https://twitter.com/AlharbiMoe
     Reply #3 - March 30, 2015, 07:16 PM

well maybe a video of  two exmuslims interviewing each other,
     Reply #4 - March 30, 2015, 07:17 PM

you mean you want more videos criticizing islam???

well I do like the mask arab videos. so yes maybe along these lines
     Reply #5 - March 30, 2015, 10:57 PM

The staff member in charge of CEMB youtube videos never got back to me. I did try.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #6 - March 31, 2015, 03:14 AM

Well that's what I don't understand. I knew they are doing this whole bread and roses show, but I have zero interest in it.
    where's the videos to help exmuslims Huh?
     Reply #7 - March 31, 2015, 09:18 AM

People who run this place, the twitter and the youtube are all volunteers. Lots of content has been created, but lots of us have had to focus on other aspects, like work, our families, etc. So yeah our ability to produce content at the same levels as in the earlier years has gone down. We hope that other, newer members will take on the mantle and move things forward. When we started off, there were very few Ex-Muslim voices out there. Now there are more and more.

If anyone wants to make videos, we can mirror or host them on the CEMB Admins channel. But please make sure the videos are high quality, don't have any copyright infringing material, and do not play into anti-Muslim bigotry. If you have ideas for new videos, please start a thread in the Private Feedback forum to discuss your ideas with the admins here. We'd appreciate your initiative. Smiley

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #8 - March 31, 2015, 09:55 AM

When I first joined this forum, a lot of people were fairly recent apostates. Emotions were high, and it helped produce a lot of content. But that can only last for so long.

There's only so much one can produce anyway. Theists argument haven't exactly progressed much over the last several years and they never will. Everything has been argued to death.

On top of this, there are some pretty decent exmulim communities on other forms of social media besides this forum. That probably makes this place less relevant now.

I also feel social media combined with reddit makes forums like these much less popular than they used to be.

The youtube videos on the homepage are extremely well made and helpful for exmuslims. And having someone to talk to is already available here and elsewhere. Not sure what else can really be done to help apostates...?
     Reply #9 - March 31, 2015, 11:47 AM

CEMB the online forum is fine and doing an amazing job of providing ex-Muslims a safe place to express themselves and get support.

CEMB the organisation headed by Maryam Namzie and with people like Amal Farah is doing a wonderful job of campaigning for ex-Muslims, equality, Human Rights and fighting extremism.

CEMBadmins Youtube channel has many excellent video resources for ex-muslims and freethinkers.

As has been said above all the people involved in these things are unpaid volunteers. The individuals who made the previous CEMBadmins videos are currently occupied with other things.

Again as has been said we welcome contributions from others,  with the provisos Allat mentioned above.

Smiley
     Reply #10 - March 31, 2015, 02:50 PM

Videos like Hassan's Hell video are, I think, a real credit to the CEMB: it addresses something that the very religious use to threaten others and themselves, that apostates sometimes stress over, and that might genuinely give someone on the fence about their religion something important to think about.

And it does it in a non-confrontational way, in a way that isn't reasonably expected to cause offense or start an argument. It asks questions, it shows a problem, it promotes self-reflection, it justifies our doubt with a very level-headed and honest tone.

I do think that's somewhat of a difficult thing to do. I wonder if the CEMB tried to put out videos regularly that they might have to start scraping for new material (like peruvianskies said, there's only so much to really discuss) and it might become viewed as much less of a resource and a supportive structure, and more of a place for debate and trying to disprove religious claims on youtube. And lord knows there's many, many atheist bloggers and youtubers who devote a ton of time and energy into doing this already, and I can't honestly say I've seen much good come from it, anyway.
     Reply #11 - March 31, 2015, 04:20 PM

Agreed, Lua.

And i for one am not into futile youtube debates trying to prove they are right and others are wrong and would hate to see CEMB go down that route.
     Reply #12 - March 31, 2015, 04:28 PM

There are so many Youtube channels that i admired that went downhill after gaining notoriety and felt they had to make videos to please their 'fan boys' or tow some agenda and were no longer 'keeping it real' for want of a better expression lol
     Reply #13 - March 31, 2015, 04:46 PM

well what about exmuslim just telling their stories on video. like the exmuslim faithtofaithless videos
     Reply #14 - March 31, 2015, 05:06 PM

Grin By the way, ghost, I saw your thread about this on reddit...why would you think you'd get banned for posting this question?
     Reply #15 - March 31, 2015, 05:36 PM

Grin By the way, ghost, I saw your thread about this on reddit...why would you think you'd get banned for posting this question?

Because I thought this would be seen as trolling, plus I have views on CEMB that will upset alot people here.
     Reply #16 - March 31, 2015, 05:39 PM

A-ha. Well, as you can see, no one is upset, even the admin gave you or anyone interested a way to try to contribute. If you or someone you know wants to make these videos you think they should be hosting, you should definitely follow Allat's advice.

Oh, you edited to say views on CEMB? Well, I am curious, now, if you don't mind me asking: if you do not like CEMB or have a poor view of it, then why are you concerned with their youtube channel?
     Reply #17 - March 31, 2015, 05:53 PM

Because I thought this would be seen as trolling, plus I have views on CEMB that will upset alot people here.
    Oh, you edited to say views on CEMB? Well, I am curious, now, if you don't mind me asking: if you do not like CEMB or have a poor view of it, then why are you concerned with their youtube channel?

I'M going to be honest, I think CEMB has taken a backseat, I think it's maybe time for new leadership too.
     Reply #18 - March 31, 2015, 06:02 PM

well what about exmuslim just telling their stories on video. like the exmuslim faithtofaithless videos

Faithtofaithless is an excellent project and i hope you and others will contribute to them.

Imtiaz Shams is a wonderful guy and his videos have helped many and I look forward to many more.

This is not a competition between CEMB and other exmuslims.
     Reply #19 - March 31, 2015, 06:06 PM

This is not a competition between CEMB and other exmuslims.

Exactly. I don't think we need a uniform presence as ex-Muslims. I appreciate that different people are going to enjoy different venues and different atmospheres. I personally enjoy the atmosphere in CEMB and the present moderation--not to mention some of the brilliant regular posters--while others will prefer other sites/groups/forums and what have you that will work better for them.

You seem to prefer reddit, and that's cool, too. I lurk from time to time, but don't contribute. What is it you think the CEMB should be? What purpose would you have for it? Have you been a user here before? I'd reckon you must have been at some point.

Reply #20 - March 31, 2015, 06:11 PM

who said it was a competition Hassan ?  my point was CEMB used to do great videos. shame for it to stop.
     Reply #21 - March 31, 2015, 06:14 PM

Yeah, but you're talking about new leadership. As someone pointed out on both this thread and the reddit thread you made, the youtube videos you liked were done by members who volunteered.
     Reply #22 - March 31, 2015, 06:22 PM

They stopped because no one new is contributing. You can't expect the old members to remain angry at Islam forever, sooner or later we move on.

Lack of new members isn't helping the situation.

What Maryam Namazie does is a completely separate issue, she's never been a big part of this forum. She does her own form of activism.

Don't know why new leadership will help anything. Start another organisation instead...
     Reply #23 - March 31, 2015, 06:32 PM

when I say new leadership I mean a new spokeperson for CEMB. someone like dr arif ahmed.
     Reply #24 - March 31, 2015, 06:45 PM

Did you get a chance to read what peruvianskies wrote to you?

Besides, I think sometimes it's better not to have a central figure really representing the whole of something like CEMB. Places like CEMB's forum, for example, are communities of different people with different beliefs, and having just one really active spokesperson can kind of make it easy for certain people to attack or denounce the entire organization based on the words or actions or even the perception of one individual.

Far more than being helpful, I think that would be a liability to an ex-Muslim community and support center, and can divide users who just wanted somewhere to talk about their issues and their thoughts and have people around who have been there before.
     Reply #25 - March 31, 2015, 06:56 PM

They stopped because no one new is contributing. You can't expect the old members to remain angry at Islam forever, sooner or later we move on.

you have to be angry at islam to make videos  Roll Eyes if that what the case ...well maybe it's a good thing you guys stop.
     Reply #26 - March 31, 2015, 06:58 PM

So. I don't think you've done a proper intro yet, Ghost, tell us about yourself. Are you an Ex-Muslim? Where are you from? How can you contribute towards helping other Ex-Muslims? Can you make videos of the kind you'd like to see more of?

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #27 - March 31, 2015, 07:34 PM

you have to be angry at islam to make videos  Roll Eyes if that what the case ...well maybe it's a good thing you guys stop.

Anger, or some negative form of emotion certainly helps. It's definitely a running theme from what I've seen. Not that it's a bad thing, who wouldn't be fucking pissed when you've been practically lied to for most of your life? It feels like a goddamn betrayal. It's fueled my initial desire to make content, and I've seen the same pattern amongst many others here too. Of course it's not the same for everyone.

Most of us who become content with life seem to stop posting eventually.

Perhaps you should make some suggestions about what you think actually needs to be done. You can't ask for change or more content without specifying what exactly that means.

And maybe make some content yourself? All of our videos came from members of this forum, who have long since moved on. It's time for others to carry the flame. So far no one has volunteered. Are you going to? Videos don't make themselves.
     Reply #28 - March 31, 2015, 07:47 PM

well maybe a video of  two exmuslims interviewing each other,

I don't know if you're aware, but Simon Cottee just got a book published featuring interviews from 35 exmuslims from this forum. Link to thread: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=28365.0

A guy from the BBC wants to do a documentary on exmuslims from North East England. Unfortunately he seems rather reluctant to post himself here so it's garnered little attention. When I spoke to him, he had two exmuslims willing to get involved that he found through Maryam Namazie. He'd love to have more participants, but only from North East England.

Most of the users here need to remain anonymous for various reasons. So getting two exmuslims willing to appear on a video won't be easy. But the top two answers are closer enough to your suggestion.
     Reply #29 - March 31, 2015, 08:20 PM

Yep. Over time, everything changes, evolves. This forum has hosted thousands of people, hundreds of thousands of conversations, on just about every topic any Ex-Muslim or ally could ever think of. Most people don't want to sit there repeating themselves ad nauseum, so of course, most people will move on at some point. And that's okay, because new people are always joining and re-starting conversations or starting new ones.

This place is not a business, we are not here to compete with other Ex-Muslim sites or groups. Each type of medium/format/site has its own advantages and disadvantages. This forum has categories (unlike other social media sites that house content with no organizational structure), polls, and an immense archive of discussions spanning back 8 years, and ongoing conversations between active members.

Many people have gotten to know each other in real life through this forum, and continue to make connections. As Peru said, Maryam Namazie's orgs CEMB, OLFA are affiliated with this forum, but there's no one 'spokesperson' for this forum. It's an amalgamation of all the voices that have spoken up here and that will continue to speak up here. It's an online message board run by volunteers. We (mods, admins, volunteers) pay for server & security costs, and we donate our time to doing what we can. If anyone wants more to be done, it would be better to present solutions, work on practical ways to implement ideas, and collaborate with others who are also able to create new content.

We are happy to host not just text discussions but also high quality audio-visual content, which is what our YouTube channel is known for, thanks to all the work put in over the years by Hassan and other people. Our Twitter is active & constantly growing. These things, the forum, Maryam's activities, our Twitter & YouTube accounts, more or less, are independently operated: the same person or few people can not be expected to create constant content for the consumption of an ever-growing audience over years and years as volunteers. People do have lives outside of the Ex-Muslim movement and most of them do move on from wanting to constantly discuss Islam after the initial burst of activity.

The admins of Ex-Muslim groups, sites, projects, are all in general friends and acquaintances with each other and support each other's work in various ways. Some members overlap with various groups, others stick to one or another format or group. It's fine with us - we are happy to be part of the movement. The archives available to anyone in the world on this forum and its related Twitter & YouTube sites are immensely popular, getting millions of views per month individually.

If you have suggestions for doing more, by all means, bring them to the table, and tell us how you can contribute. We're all in this together. Nobody is just a consumer or just a content-producer. If you don't have the time or inclination to contribute, that's fine too. But if you're going to go around making claims that you know how to do this better, better to go and do it. We can help collaborate, help you develop your ideas, host and promote your ideas. Get in the field and start creating solutions and making content if you think there are things that still need to be done.

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »