Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Yasir Qadhi vs ExMuslim

(Read 12248 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Yasir Qadhi vs ExMuslim
     OP - March 23, 2015, 11:30 PM

American Atheists are holding a panel event with atheist, christian and muslim speakers to dispell misconceptions.

The four speakers are

David Silverman from American Atheists

Muhammad Syed From Ex Muslims of North America

Yasir Qadhi of the Al Maghrib Institute

Dr Cole Huffman Evangelical Church Pastor 

I've only had one skype convo with Muhammad and interact with him on facebook but the guy definitely knows his islamic theology (better than most muslims I'd say) so he's a good guy to have up there against Yasir Qadhi.

I tweeted a youtube link to David Silverman proving that Qadhi supports the persecution of apostates and blasphemers in islamic states and he Favorited my tweet. Hopefully this means he will bring it up during the discussion.

This is the video I tweeted to Silverman. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQMxkLR7ZTY

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #1 - March 24, 2015, 12:27 AM

Does Yasir Qadhi know that there will be an exmuslim there?
     Reply #2 - March 24, 2015, 12:38 AM

Of course he knows.

The names of the speakers and their organizations are mentioned in the press releases as well as the social media advertisements about the event.

There's no way he wouldn't know about it.

Reply #3 - March 24, 2015, 12:49 AM

Very interesting. Should at least be a good debate.
     Reply #4 - March 24, 2015, 12:53 AM

Then it shows that he's not be afraid....

In other news....here is someone declaring Yasir Qadhi an apostate.
    https://twitter.com/ahasnoor/status/579356143396376576
     Reply #5 - March 24, 2015, 01:11 AM

hoepfully this will be uploaded on utube
     Reply #6 - March 24, 2015, 01:43 AM

Then it shows that he's not be afraid....

That's only because he doesn't know who he is going up against. He's probably assuming Muhammad's knowledge of islam is similiar to CEMB spokesperson Maryam Namazie and Amal.

When it comes to islam he is pretty knowledgeable so you won't be seeing stupid mistakes like the taqiya blunder by Amal made on the big questions.

Reply #7 - March 28, 2015, 08:32 PM

Now David silverman favorited my recent tweet about Qadhi arguing against the right of muslim women to marry non muslims.

He is never the type to back down from calling out religious fundamentalists so I'm pretty sure he will expose Qadhi for his bigoted views on camera and in public.

Reply #8 - March 28, 2015, 11:55 PM

That's only because he doesn't know who he is going up against. He's probably assuming Muhammad's knowledge of islam is similiar to CEMB spokesperson Maryam Namazie and Amal.

When it comes to islam he is pretty knowledgeable so you won't be seeing stupid mistakes like the taqiya blunder by Amal made on the big questions.

Wow! Easy on the digs there mate!

You do realise that you're talking about members of this forum. We're supposed to look out for one another and when someone trips up you pick 'em up, dust 'em off and point 'em in the right direction. No need to be nerfherder about it.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #9 - March 29, 2015, 08:48 AM

I remember opening a thread on the topic of Taqiya not too long ago, and the general agreement was that it's rather commonplace, but people don't have to consciously do it as an actual religious practice. For instance, presenting the Meccan period as some sort of golden age of Islamic pluralism is devious and Goebbelesque. Yet a lot of preachers resort to it because they simply can't afford to antagonize their Western audience by becoming straight shooters like Anjem Choudhary. These guys deserve to be called on this hypocrisy every time they open their mouths.

Anyway, coming back to the topic of Yasir Qadhi: I listened to a couple of talks by him, he sounds traditional to me in that he doesn't mix liberal thoughts with religion to present a confusing mix like Tariq Ramadan does. I remember his defense of prophet's marriage with Ayesha was vehement 'her daddy was cool with it', 'it was the way things were back in the day' etc. etc. - nothing nuanced about it, just brazen stubbornness.

Reply #10 - March 29, 2015, 09:25 AM

Yasir Qadhi is a traditionalist with fundamentalist views, there's no escaping it. People are easily fooled by the rhetoric and semantic plays a lot of dawagandist use to make themselves look  like "rational", "moderates" or "liberal". "We all want the same thing..." kind of thing. One easy test is to look up what their views on women and women's rights are, and it will tell you everything there is. Two-faced dawagadists can't hide their Islamic misogyny  cool2

Qadhi is as much of a sexist misogynist as any other Islamist or traditionalist. I remember how disappointed I was when I heard him speak about the three women promised paradise (in fact the only three women that attained perfection in comparison with the countless of men able to attain perfection). It was Fatimah, Khadija and Aasiya wife of the Pharao. Remember, they did not attain perfection due to any "masculine" traits like bravery, intelligence or any other self-fullfillment. They were mothers, wives and slaves of allah who sacrificed their life, wealth and family for the sake of the men in their life; their husbands or allah. "Not beucase they got an education, or earned their own money, things like that have no value for a woman..."

Thanks Qadhi, I now know my purpose in life

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #11 - March 29, 2015, 09:39 AM

^I just read his CV on wikipedia; he comes across as typical 'Desi Bedu' who must have arabized his surname (nobody in Pakistan uses this spelling 'Qadhi', instead they use 'Qazi') to feel more Arab-like despite remaining a perpetual 'Rafeeq' in the eyes of his adopted overlords.
     Reply #12 - April 01, 2015, 03:03 PM

David Silverman from American Atheists has favorited the links I've been tweeting him about Qadhi's misogyny, homophobia and bigotry against apostates.   

From what I've seen of his previous appearances Silverman is probably going to aggressively attack his views.  With a well read exmuslim on the panel Qadhi won't be able to pull any BS either.

The good thing is this is going to be recorded so his public embarrassment will be out on the internet for everyone to see.

Reply #13 - April 01, 2015, 03:07 PM

Indeed, this is going to be really embarrasing for Yasir Qadhi. Though he says he left Salafism, he's still very orthodox.
     Reply #14 - April 01, 2015, 03:07 PM

Qadhi is as much of a sexist misogynist as any other Islamist or traditionalist. I remember how disappointed I was when I heard him speak about the three women promised paradise

You followed him ?  I thought you were a hardcore takfiri salafi and Qadhi left salafism a while ago for general sunni islam.

Reply #15 - April 01, 2015, 03:08 PM

When and where is it going to be online?
     Reply #16 - April 01, 2015, 03:09 PM

Indeed, this is going to be really embarrasing for Yasir Qadhi. Though he says he left Salafism, he's still very orthodox.

General sunni muslims can be just as orthodox as salafis.  From what I know the only major points salafis differ from mainstream sunnis is their rejection of taqlid and their blind obedience to muslim dictators and monarchs.

On issues of islamic law and the day to day practice of islam  they don't really differ that much.

Reply #17 - April 01, 2015, 03:11 PM

When and where is it going to be online?

According to the organizers they will post it on their site Atheist.tv for streaming later on. They might also post it on youtube.

Reply #18 - April 01, 2015, 03:20 PM

As I would put it, the biggest difference is in implementation rather than the theoretical, like the difference between the pakistani implementation of Sharia and the Saudi.In the desi cultures, the equivalent of salafists would be deobandis or ahl hadith.It varies depending on which country...Ennahda in Tunisia is not Jamat Islami in Pakistan
     Reply #19 - April 01, 2015, 03:44 PM

From what I know the only major points salafis differ from mainstream sunnis is their rejection of taqlid and their blind obedience to muslim dictators and monarchs.

I thought that was wahabbis, whereas salafis can be seperated for not blindly supporting rulers? I.e. a wahabbi will by definition be a supporter of the house of Saud (among others) but a salafi may not?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #20 - April 01, 2015, 04:12 PM

None of these terms have a clear definition; it's entirely up to the people who ascribe to them to give them meaning. A "wahhabi," for example, would practically never refer to himself as Wahhabi, as this is a term primarily used by detractors. Takfiris, jihadis, and wahhabis are all likely to call themselves salafis (and real sunnis) while maintaining that the others are not.
     Reply #21 - April 01, 2015, 05:39 PM

The largest salafi organization in Egypt, and other salafi organizations in muslim majority countries, are strong defenders of the established regimes, whether its Mubarak,Sisi or the Saudi regime.
     Reply #22 - April 01, 2015, 07:14 PM

None of these terms have a clear definition; it's entirely up to the people who ascribe to them to give them meaning. A "wahhabi," for example, would practically never refer to himself as Wahhabi, as this is a term primarily used by detractors. Takfiris, jihadis, and wahhabis are all likely to call themselves salafis (and real sunnis) while maintaining that the others are not.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #23 - April 04, 2015, 01:00 PM

Yasir Qadhi used the words 'Radical Islam' when talking about IS.This is why I think those complaining about Obama not naming the problem as 'Radical Islam' are wrong.
     Reply #24 - April 09, 2015, 12:01 PM

When will the debate be online,if its not already?
     Reply #25 - April 09, 2015, 07:55 PM

Did this event get cancelled? I can't even find a mention of it anywhere on the twitter feed of the panelists
     Reply #26 - April 10, 2015, 08:53 PM

Heard from Muhammad that they are just waiting on the videos to be edited

https://twitter.com/CaptainDG64/status/586623624783785985
     Reply #27 - April 12, 2015, 08:53 PM

Really curious on how this debate went. Yasir Qazi is such a hypocrite, spouting hatred, and at the same time calling for tolerance for his bigotry. Not unlike many other islamic scholars.

We want to persecute apostates, but only in an islamic state. We are so peaceful you see. Of course there is no compulsion in islam.
     Reply #28 - June 07, 2015, 06:41 PM

Its been uploaded to youtube now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77TiTEDeqlQ
     Reply #29 - June 08, 2015, 03:35 PM

^^ excellent will check this out tonight Smiley
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »