Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 06:51 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Abu- A Gay son reconciles with his Muslim father

(Read 3196 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Abu- A Gay son reconciles with his Muslim father
     OP - March 11, 2015, 02:32 PM

This Canadian film project is looking for donations.  For those of you who can afford to donate I highly suggest you do so. This movie will really help raise awareness about the struggles of LGBT individuals within muslim communities.

Excerpt from Web page.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/abu-a-gay-son-reconciles-with-his-muslim-father

Abu is a film about young gay people fighting invisibility within their own culture. I use my personal story of my relationship with my father to weave a tale about migration, self-actualization, spirituality, sexuality and love.  We were one of the first families in 1980s Islamabad to get a VHS movie camera. I was 8 when I started shooting my family functions and events. Using family photographs, letters, animation, interviews and this VHS footage and other video ‘memory’ I am creating a documentary that humanizes the gay Muslim experience in the west.

"A film like Abu needs to be made, it needs to be  shown and Canadians need to see it, so please support it" - Christina Olivieri AGIR board member

The film is a cathartic examination of religion, culture, sexual identity, sexual abuse and death set in the context of migration and globalization. Despite the serious nature of the subject matter, the film will have moments of humour intertwined with periods of contemplation. It is a thoughtful look into the lives of a middle class family in 1980s Pakistan- an era absolutely undocumented in the contemporary audiovisual milieu. The film preserves the memories of an open and progressive middle class Pakistan with the promise of a great future....

Abu is a very personal film. It is an important story about a community that encourages their LGBTQI community to stay invisible. South Asian society is highly homophobic. Homosexuality is considered a psychiatric illness and a perversion.  Even speaking out and supporting LGBTQI issues is considered taboo. The story of my struggle with my father, our struggle over my gay sexual identity, our migrations, his turn towards fundamentalist religiosity (fundamentalist, not fanatic), our relationship and later, his struggle with lung disease - is one of sadness and empowerment.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
  • Abu- A Gay son reconciles with his Muslim father
     Reply #1 - March 14, 2015, 11:38 AM

Bump.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »