Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: closet ex-muslim since new year 2015

(Read 14276 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • closet ex-muslim since new year 2015
     OP - March 02, 2015, 09:35 PM

Hello CEMB, this is my first post on here, whith the hope that I posted this on the right thread. So below is my story of irtidad.

The year 2014 was the year of skepticism for me. I asked a lot of questions about islam to myself, and everytime I asked a skeptical question, I told myself that it were whisperings of shaytaan. I even thought of telling my Imam that he shouldn't trust me anymore because I get a lot of whisperings of the shaytan lately, but I decided not to do that since I didn't know what kind of solution he would try to find for me, and besides that I began to see that he was making up fatwas, which he still does, like when I told him that his words were contrary to the words of the sheikh, he first didn't believe me, and after showing the evidence, he told me that the sheikh meant something else...

Some of the questions I asked myself:
    • If Allah wants everyone to be a muslim, then why did he send a prophet to a place that's isolated to the rest of the world
    • Why are people born in non-islamic families doomed? Just because they don't have the privilege of being born in an islamic family, they're most likely not going to learn about islam. So why are they considered guilty of not knowing Allah while it's obviously hard for them to know Allah?

I've probably asked myself more questions, but those are the core questions that made me think again. Then I began watching Cosmos by Neil Degrasse Tyson, and his arguments against religion made sense to me. The one that I cant forget is something like this: "There are no saints that could make exact predictions like the scientists that predict the next passing by of comets". Why can't Allah make exact predictions of important events if he's all-knowing?
    Then on new year's eve, I watched The Unbelievers. After that, i cursed Allah and his prophet, and saw that I was still alive. I became agnostic.

After 2 weeks I told a non-religious friend I trust. He was surprised.
    Until now I haven't told anyone else. And I'm not planning to tell my family. They still think I'm the most religious man in the family. I'm quite sure that they won't be happy if I did tell them. The thing I'm gonna do is pretend that I'm still a muslim, I'm just gonna be a "sinning muslim". I don't feel that it's worth to tell them the truth. I also don't want to be alienated from my family.

Last summer my grandfather finished building his mosque, he let me do the adhan on top of the minaret. After finishing the adhan, I entered the mosque and saw the joy in the eyes of my grandpa that words can't describe. Everyone in my family was very happy. It's not the first time that I did the adhan, it's just that I did it on top of the minaret of the mosque of my grandpa. I also was the muadhin. When I think about this, I can't think of ever telling anyone in my family that I'm not a muslim anymore.

The thing I'm worried the most about at this moment is this: I don't want to marry a muslima. Meanwhile my whole family is passively searching for a muslima that's as pious as me or better. Because that's what I wanted for years.

Edit: forgot to say hello.
    Edit 2: spelling.
     Reply #1 - March 02, 2015, 09:53 PM

Where are you currently living country wise?

Also welcome in  parrot
     Reply #2 - March 02, 2015, 09:59 PM

Thank you Smiley
    I did my best to make sure my identity can't be revealed, so I won't say my country, but I live in West Europe and I'm born here. My country of origin is in the middle east.
     Reply #3 - March 02, 2015, 10:02 PM

Ok cool! Just needed if you want any advice that is all, to tailor it to your surroundings.

Very interesting story by the way, fascinating but frustrating!
     Reply #4 - March 02, 2015, 10:13 PM

I always could use advice, thanks for trying to help Smiley
    I'm going to ask my professor of philosophy for advice, he seems like he understands these stuff. With the hope that he has time for me.

Regarding my story, I tried to keep it short, I think I could write a few pages, but that would obviously be boring to other people. Also my writing isn't that good.
     Reply #5 - March 02, 2015, 10:14 PM

Hi ex-sunni  Smiley

I'm glad you told us you are ex-sunni because we have two separate forums here - one for ex-sunnis and one for ex-shia.

We here - on the ex-Sunni forum - are real ex-Muslims because we left TRUE Islam - unlike the ex-Shia who only left FALSE Islam.

Welcome  grin12
     Reply #6 - March 02, 2015, 10:16 PM

Welcome to the forum ex-sunni! We come from similar backgrounds and I can understand the frustration in your post  far away hug

Welcome to the dark side, have a parrot!  parrot

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
     Reply #7 - March 02, 2015, 10:16 PM

I'm of course joking btw  Wink
     Reply #8 - March 02, 2015, 10:22 PM

thnkyu for welcoming me Smiley
    And yeah, I'm happy for leaving the real Islam Cheesy

Welcome to the forum ex-sunni! We come from similar backgrounds and I can understand the frustration in your post

I've read your post, and I feel that my future will be like yours. I wish you luck!
     Reply #9 - March 02, 2015, 11:12 PM

Hi ex-sunni  Smiley

I'm glad you told us you are ex-sunni because we have two separate forums here - one for ex-sunnis and one for ex-shia.

We here - on the ex-Sunni forum - are real ex-Muslims because we left TRUE Islam - unlike the ex-Shia who only left FALSE Islam.

Welcome  grin12

Honestly, laughed my ass off  Grin
     Reply #10 - March 03, 2015, 02:58 AM

Welcome!  parrot

I think we've talked on the mibbit chat? I have the same username here. I'm usually online while everyone else is sleeping because I live over in America and have a weird sleep schedule, but I'll always respond to PMs and stuff as soon as I can.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #11 - March 03, 2015, 10:18 AM

thnkyu for welcoming me Smiley
    And yeah, I'm happy for leaving the real Islam Cheesy
    I've read your post, and I feel that my future will be like yours. I wish you luck!

Feel free to message me if you ever need to talk Smiley

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
     Reply #12 - March 03, 2015, 09:37 PM

Welcome!  parrot

I think we've talked on the mibbit chat? I have the same username here. I'm usually online while everyone else is sleeping because I live over in America and have a weird sleep schedule, but I'll always respond to PMs and stuff as soon as I can.

Thank you! And yes we did talk on the chat.

Quote from: Ishtar90
    Feel free to message me if you ever need to talk Smiley

Thank you too! I'll message you soon.

Thanks to all of you! You people are awesome!
     Reply #13 - May 07, 2015, 12:35 PM

Hey there!!

Welcome - this place is the best place to be,  never feel alone through this because I know it can be a difficult phase... It'll get easier day by day,  so the best of luck!

parrot
     Reply #14 - May 07, 2015, 12:50 PM

Welcome to the forum ex-sunni, have a rabbit!  bunny

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #15 - May 07, 2015, 04:24 PM

Hi ex-sunni  Smiley

Welcome  grin12

Cheesy Cheesy That is monty python gold!

Welcome ex-Sunni.
     Reply #16 - May 07, 2015, 04:31 PM

Psshhttt. What Hassan really means is that he and the rest of these lot are just a bunch of ex-Innovators and ex-Deviants. It is only us, the ex-Salafis, who are the real ex-Muslms.  grin12
     Reply #17 - May 07, 2015, 04:53 PM

Psshhttt. What Hassan really means is that he and the rest of these lot are just a bunch of ex-Innovators and ex-Deviants. It is only us, the ex-Salafis, who are the real ex-Muslms.  grin12

No...no.,   ..no Innovators and no Ex-., Just "Deviants" is good enough  Cheesy  

may be instead of "Agnostic Muslims".,   "Deviants"/"Deviant Muslims is a better word..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #18 - May 07, 2015, 06:19 PM

Psshhttt. What Hassan really means is that he and the rest of these lot are just a bunch of ex-Innovators and ex-Deviants. It is only us, the ex-Salafis, who are the real ex-Muslms.  grin12

I think we have evolved to the stage that we now need separate ex-Muslim forums for the Ex-regular Sunnis (The REAL ex-Muslims) The Ex-Salafi (khawarij), The Ex-Shia (deviants), The Ex-Sufi (innovators)... as for Ex-Ahmadiyya I think they should just be sent straight into the rant area.
     Reply #19 - May 07, 2015, 06:36 PM

The Ex-Salafi (khawarij) (The saved sect. The victorious party. The people of sunnah. The people of tawheed.)

Corrected! Tongue

Seriously, though. Welcome! I love the irony, {Remember the blessing of apostasy upon you. Behold, you were enemies and it joined your hearts together so that you became, through the grace of apostasy, brothers (and sisters grin12 ) }
     Reply #20 - May 07, 2015, 06:40 PM

{Remember the blessing of apostasy upon you. Behold, you were enemies and it joined your hearts together so that you became, through the grace of apostasy, brothers (and sisters grin12 ) }

Cheesy  dance  Afro
     Reply #21 - June 02, 2015, 07:47 PM

I think we have evolved to the stage that we now need separate ex-Muslim forums for the Ex-regular Sunnis (The REAL ex-Muslims) The Ex-Salafi (khawarij), The Ex-Shia (deviants), The Ex-Sufi (innovators)... as for Ex-Ahmadiyya I think they should just be sent straight into the rant area.

Hey, sufis are real sunnis! How dare you insult my previous self as not being a real sunni? :@

Corrected! Tongue

Seriously, though. Welcome! I love the irony, {Remember the blessing of apostasy upon you. Behold, you were enemies and it joined your hearts together so that you became, through the grace of apostasy, brothers (and sisters grin12 ) }

Mo (pbuh) told us that the fitnah would come out of Najd, and salafis/wahhabis came out of Najd. They cannot be the real sunnis! Estaghfirullah...

PS. Thank you all for welcoming me! But it's not getting easier. Hiding my apostasy is getting harder every day. I just can't wait for finishing college. I think I'll leave this city after that.
     Reply #22 - June 02, 2015, 08:18 PM

Welcome exsunni

I am really just done with hiding as well and I'm still in uni. However I can afford a place to live. But still struggling with the question: how am I going to tell my parents!? Cuz then I need to find a place to stay at first.

Dogs never bite me - just humans. ~ M. Monroe

Religions seem to cause more grief than good.

Exmuslim Chat
     Reply #23 - June 02, 2015, 08:34 PM

Welcome,  parrot

I was just chatting on skype with an ex-muslim who's family are sufi. She's recently told them she doesn't believe in islam. Went to see her parents yesterday and after her mum asked her to be honest about a few things she wanted to know and after she got honest answers wouldn't look at her.

It's worth keeping in mind that islam in Europe doesn't have the history of people leaving the religion without consequence. It's accepted at this point that you can't force people to be christian or drag them into a church. Religion is a very personal thing and there's no guarantee your children will keep the faith.

Islam doesn't have this yet. Over time ex-muslims will become more mainstream and it'll be accepted that people leave islam. You've just had the bad luck of being in this situation while it's in it's infancy. In the lifetimes of most CEMB members, I imagine, at least in the western world it won't be so hard. It'll just be accepted as a personal thing.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #24 - June 02, 2015, 08:54 PM

Hiding my apostasy is getting harder every day

Yeah I know that feeling. It sort of eats away at you inside. At times I remember I just wanted to stand up in the middle of the mosque shouting "BULLSHIT!!"

But actually things settle down after a while and you realise that shouting from the roof tops or rubbing others faces in their foolishness is not the best approach.

Take it easy and try not to burn any bridges.
     Reply #25 - June 03, 2015, 02:32 AM

Or if you do decide some bridges are best burnt, destroy them utterly, and don't look back.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #26 - June 03, 2015, 02:56 AM

Or that lol
     Reply #27 - June 03, 2015, 06:12 AM

"Some of the questions I asked myself:
    If Allah wants everyone to be a muslim, then why did he send a prophet to a place that's isolated to the rest of the world
    Why are people born in non-islamic families doomed? Just because they don't have the privilege of being born in an islamic family, they're most likely not going to learn about islam. So why are they considered guilty of not knowing Allah while it's obviously hard for them to know Allah?"

welcome to the forum ex-sunni,
    I see this as a failure of the current Islamic discourse, the idea that only Muslims are saved is extremely stupid and irrational.
    I think Islam has a very serious problem, either it had to change some views or it will be doomed.
     Reply #28 - June 03, 2015, 08:29 AM

Welcome,  parrot

I was just chatting on skype with an ex-muslim who's family are sufi. She's recently told them she doesn't believe in islam. Went to see her parents yesterday and after her mum asked her to be honest about a few things she wanted to know and after she got honest answers wouldn't look at her.

It's worth keeping in mind that islam in Europe doesn't have the history of people leaving the religion without consequence. It's accepted at this point that you can't force people to be christian or drag them into a church. Religion is a very personal thing and there's no guarantee your children will keep the faith.

Islam doesn't have this yet. Over time ex-muslims will become more mainstream and it'll be accepted that people leave islam. You've just had the bad luck of being in this situation while it's in it's infancy. In the lifetimes of most CEMB members, I imagine, at least in the western world it won't be so hard. It'll just be accepted as a personal thing.

Thank you. I also had that feeling that in the next generation muslims will be more free. At least I hope it.

Yeah I know that feeling. It sort of eats away at you inside. At times I remember I just wanted to stand up in the middle of the mosque shouting "BULLSHIT!!"

But actually things settle down after a while and you realise that shouting from the roof tops or rubbing others faces in their foolishness is not the best approach.

Normally I'm pretty calm, I only get a bit frustrated when I hear fallacies. I hate fallacies.

Also thank you Hatoush for welcoming me. Well yes the idea is stupid, but it's in the Quran, and the Quran says that you cannot change the Quran. And the Quran is an undeniable fact for almost every muslim.
     Reply #29 - June 03, 2015, 08:31 AM

Or that lol

Wink

don't mind me, ex-sunni, I'm just dealing with some shit right now  Tongue I'll be better soon. But in the meantime, I'm being angry and snarky. But seriously, there are a lot of people in this world who you don't need to have in your life, and getting them out will make you happier.

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »