Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Netanyahu accused of ‘conspiring’ with Republicans

(Read 1941 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Netanyahu accused of ‘conspiring’ with Republicans
     OP - March 02, 2015, 03:09 PM

A set piece of the annual gathering of one of the most powerful political lobbies in Washington is the “roll call” of support in Congress for the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (Aipac).

Members of Congress are invited to stand one by one to be acknowledged for their support for Israel, or for Aipac’s hawkish brand of it. It typically takes half an hour as the names of around two-thirds of representatives and senators are called. It is intended to demonstrate that on one issue at least, the Jewish state, there are no partisan differences. It is also a reminder of the lock Aipac has long had on Congress with a menacing suggestion of the political risks of going against the lobby group.

But as Aipac’s convention opens, the carefully forged image of Democrats and Republicans at one on Israel has been battered by the furious reaction to Israeli prime minister Binyamin Netanyahu’s planned address to Congress on Tuesday, when he is expected to accuse Barack Obama of endangering the very existence of the Jewish state in negotiations with Iran over its nuclear programme.

Nearly 30 members have said they will not attend Netanyahu’s speech in protest at the extraordinary spectacle of Republicans inviting a foreign leader to Washington to denounce the president. They have described Netanyahu’s decision to speak as “sabotage” and “extremely dangerous”.

The dispute has also divided some of America’s most prominent Jewish organisations, with accusations flying of betrayal. But through it all Aipac has been all but silent as it struggles with the implications of the breach in the bipartisan wall as members of Congress with strong records of support for Israel challenge Netanyahu.

Some Democrats accuse Netanyahu and the Republican speaker of the House of Representatives, John Boehner, of using the speech to help the Israeli prime minister to bolster support ahead of this month’s general election, while the Republicans try to discredit Obama by undermining the president’s prerogatives on foreign policy.

Congressman Steve Cohen described the planned speech as “political theatre” that has “caused a breach between Democrats in Congress and Israel as well as the administrations of the United States and Israel”.

“While Americans and members of Congress may disagree on anything, even foreign policy, providing a forum of such immense prestige and power to the leader of another country who is opposing our nation’s foreign policy is beyond the pale,” he said.

Read more at:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/28/binyamin-netanyahu-congress-speech-israel
  • Netanyahu accused of ?conspiring? with Republicans
     Reply #1 - March 02, 2015, 03:30 PM

Ugh, gross. We've been talking about other issues in other countries and I forgot how gross we are.
     Reply #2 - March 02, 2015, 04:32 PM

Members of Congress are invited to stand one by one to be acknowledged for their support for Israel, or for Aipac’s hawkish brand of it. It typically takes half an hour as the names of around two-thirds of representatives and senators are called. It is intended to demonstrate that on one issue at least, the Jewish state, there are no partisan differences. It is also a reminder of the lock Aipac has long had on Congress with a menacing suggestion of the political risks of going against the lobby group.

How creepy. 

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #3 - March 04, 2015, 05:36 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pOs99OZN1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLcilHqtS-g

well that is what is going on..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #4 - March 05, 2015, 02:18 AM

someone should try to let Obama see this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPxv4Aff3IA

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #5 - March 05, 2015, 03:46 AM

What for?  Obama's own grandfather was tortured in a concentration camp in Kenya in the 1950s, and he hasn't lifted a finger to get justice for the Kenyans over that.  Why would you expect him to care about random African immigrants to Israel? 

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #6 - March 05, 2015, 04:50 AM

someone should try to let Obama see this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPxv4Aff3IA

hello Mutha Kuffar  ., That is just WJS and I am sure Mr. Obama smart enough to know that...

long time no see., so My best wishes to you...

............  Why would you expect him to care about random African immigrants to Israel?  

well Cheetah., If Mr. Obama cares about Israel which I think he does., then he should explain such WJS in 21st century is not good for the health and future of Israel..  

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #7 - March 05, 2015, 05:58 PM

American has never lacked the ability nor desire to ignore what they or their own allies have done while blasting non-allies for the same acts.
     Reply #8 - March 05, 2015, 06:55 PM

I actually unfriended someone on Facebook over this issue. He posted a cartoon from some far-right newspaper that had a grossly racist caricature of Obama saying "Bibi (Netanyahu) has said that Iran wishes to erase Israel from the map. This simply shows how out of touch he is with the situation. Iranian officials have assured me that Israel does not appear on maps in Iran." Speaking of, I should block his phone number on my phone.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »