Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: I feel suicidal after leaving islam

(Read 2711 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • I feel suicidal after leaving islam
     OP - March 02, 2015, 12:36 PM

I am an ex-muslim who has left islam a few months ago. I don't think I would ever be intelligent enough to leave islam if it weren't for the articles on faithfreedom. When I was a muslim I could be happy about my life, although it wasn't perfect. It was possible because I would think that this life doesn't matter, whatever pain I face in this life will be rewarded by Allah in jannat. But now I know that neither jannat nor allah exists(thanks to faithfreedom articles), I have lost the power to block the thoughts inside my head that keep telling me to suicide to stop the pain I feel everyday. I think I will never be able to live a peaceful life. I am a 5'3" tall 19 yrs old ugly, skinny, black male, I am terribly poor, I have an iq under 60, I have severe myopia, I have many diseases, and sometimes I have nothing to eat. Girls don't even look at me. Never had sex. No one gives a flying f**k about me. I know moaning about the problems in my life to you guys will only irritate you, but I am only writing these problems so that you might understand how painful is life for me. I think suicide is the best solution to my problems. I started planning about killing myself after I learnt that eternal punishment in jahannam for suicide was some story made by muhammad. But after I read some articles about NDE, I became very afraid of suicide. What if some kind of God exists and punishes me for killing myself? I want you to answer this question- if some kind of God exists, does he think suicide is a sin? And what do you think of suicide? Sorry for my terrible english

lonelyboy
  • I feel suicidal after leaving islamI am an ex-muslim who has left islam a few mo
     Reply #1 - March 02, 2015, 12:48 PM

If I may, I would like to post this advice from:

http://www.suicide.org/

Welcome, my friend, you are not alone. I am very pleased that you are here. And let me remind you that there is nothing more important than your life. Nothing.

My name is Kevin Caruso. I am the Executive Director of Suicide.org and I would like to share some important information with you. The first thing that I want you to know is that virtually every person that I have talked with who attempted suicide, and survived, was glad that they lived. So the emotions that were causing the suicidal feelings did pass. Things got better; the sun did come out. So, let me extend that hope to you.

If you are in intense emotional and/or physical pain, remember that your judgment is being clouded by that pain. If you are considering suicide, you are trying to end that pain. Please do not confuse ending your pain with ending your life. The two are very different.

Let me also tell you that if you are suicidal, you probably are suffering from clinical depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, postpartum depression, PTSD, or something similar. And if you have something along these lines, you actually have a chemical imbalance in your brain -- and you cannot possibly think straight because of it. That is beyond your control. You are not weak. You just need some treatment. This imbalance can occur for several reasons, from genetics to a traumatic life experience, and it is extremely common for people to have this imbalance, so do not feel like you are alone. You are not.

This imbalance may be rectified in several ways, but first you need to be assessed so that the cause may be understood. I would request that you please go to a medical doctor.

The doctor can determine if there is a secondary problem (such as a thyroid problem) that is causing the imbalance. If so, an appropriate medication may be prescribed to you. Next, you should visit a therapist. This will allow another assessment to occur and will also allow you to begin talking about your feelings. If the therapist determines that you need a prescription, he or she may refer you to someone who may assist you in that area.

Please leave the option open for taking medication. Some people erroneously believe that they can simply use will power to control their suicidal feelings. The problem with this thinking is that, again, there is probably a chemical imbalance in the brain. And that needs to be treated with medicine. So let me ask you this, my friend. If you had a broken leg, would you get treatment or would you just keep walking on it, writhing in pain, and trying to convince yourself that you just needed will power to overcome the pain? You would get treatment, and you would do so immediately. You would not even think twice about it. And I would most respectfully submit to you that your situation is similar. If you are diagnosed with clinical depression, or something similar, then there is a physical cause for your condition. And you need to seek treatment immediately. It is not just emotion. Please understand this, my friend. The brain, after all, is an organ. And sometimes needs treatment.

If you cannot afford to see a doctor or therapist, please seek out some clinics that have reduced rates. There are many affordable places to go. You can call 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) or 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) to get listings for clinics in your area. Do not hesitate to call. You can also check in your phone book.

After your initial assessment, you will need to see a therapist long enough to work through all of the issues that are bothering you. Do not be in a hurry -- things will get better. You may feel like you are on an emotional roller coaster ride, but those ups and downs will level out.

My friend, thank you so very much for being here. It means a lot to me because the mere fact you are here indicates that you are reaching out, and that you really do want to live. So, I want you to do something else that is very important. Please make a commitment to stay alive. To not die by suicide, no matter what. Make this commitment for all of the people who care for you, and for yourself. Remember that if you try to end your pain by ending your life, you will start a world of pain for the loved ones that you leave behind. And you will deprive yourself of many wonderful things that you have yet to experience.

Thank you for making that commitment.

Now, my friend, I have told you the things that you should do. So, please get started. Please make an appointment right now to see a doctor and a therapist. If you can't do it now, do it as soon as possible. I care about you very much, and I love you very much, so I want you to get better as soon as possible.

One final thing. Relax. That's right. Relax. Take some deep breaths and do something that you enjoy that relaxes you. Take a bath. Go for a walk. Listen to some nice music. Just take it easy. And engage in these activities that relax you on a regular basis. And let me tell you, my friend, you are on your way. On your way to a better life.

Always remember that there are phone numbers that you can call
    24 hours a day, 7 days a week,
    from any location in the United States:

1-800-SUICIDE
    (1-800-784-2433)

1-800-273-TALK
    (1-800-273-8255)

Take care of yourself, and take action now. Your life is extremely important.

And do not forget the commitment that we made together, that you will not end your life -- that you will never, ever, under any circumstances end your life.

You are awesome!

You are a great person!

And I love you!

Take care,

Kevin Caruso
    Suicide.org
    Founder, Executive Director, Editor-in-Chief
    Senior Writer, Forum Administrator

• I feel suicidal after leaving islamI am an ex-muslim who has left islam a few mo
     Reply #2 - March 02, 2015, 12:48 PM

If you are in the UK, please phone the Samaritans:

08457 90 90 90
    jo@samaritans.org
     Reply #3 - March 02, 2015, 12:50 PM

As for your question about God punishing suicide.

I don't know if there is a God or not, but if there is I don't believe he goes around punishing his flawed and limited creation for behaving in ways that he has determined.

But having said that, suicide is NOT the answer. See the above article.
     Reply #4 - March 02, 2015, 12:57 PM

Please also read the excellent advice, here;

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/suicide-prevention/suicide-help-dealing-with-your-suicidal-thoughts-and-feelings.htm
     Reply #5 - March 02, 2015, 01:00 PM

I have said many times before that losing one's faith is an enormous trauma. It is like being hit by a high speed train, but no-one can see the injuries - and they often affect you when & where you don't expect it.

But things WILL get better.

Please see your GP and don't keep these thoughts to yourself.
     Reply #6 - March 02, 2015, 01:03 PM

Hi friend,
    Welcome to the forum, we offer new members a parrot  parrot I'm sorry to hear about you're suffering. A lot of us here have been through/are going though our own struggles. Most people do. Life can be hard but it can also be very beautiful and you never know where it may take you. You're still a teenager so it's normal to struggle as you find yourself. As for God existing, nobody knows, but suicide is permanent solution to a temporary problem.  Can I ask what country you're from? Hugs from Australia  far away hug
     Reply #7 - March 02, 2015, 01:04 PM

Here are some more numbers you can call in the UK

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Suicide/Pages/Getting-help.aspx

Helplines and support groups

Samaritans (08457 90 90 90) operates a 24-hour service available every day of the year. If you prefer to write down how you are feeling, or if you are worried about being overheard on the phone, you can email Samaritans at jo@samaritans.org.

Childline (0800 1111) runs a helpline for children and young people in the UK. Calls are free and the number will not show up on your phone bill.

PAPYRUS (0800 068 41 41) is a voluntary organisation that supports teenagers and young adults who are feeling suicidal.
    Depression Alliance is a charity for people with depression. It does not have a helpline, but offers a wide range of useful resources and links to other relevant information.

Students Against Depression is a website for students who are depressed, have a low mood or are having suicidal thoughts.

Bullying UK is a website for both children and adults affected by bullying.

Help for young men

Men may be more likely to avoid or ignore problems and many are reluctant to talk about their feelings or seek help when they need it.

A support group called the Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is an excellent resource for young men who are feeling unhappy. As well as the website, CALM also has a helpline (0800 58 58 58).

Talking to someone you trust

If you do not want to speak to someone on a helpline, you could talk to:

a member of your family, a friend or someone you trust, such as a teacher
    your GP, a mental healthcare professional or another healthcare professional
    a minister, priest or other type of religious leader

Seeing your GP

It would also help to see your GP. They can advise you about appropriate treatment if they think you have a mental health condition, such as depression or anxiety.

Your GP may be able to help you with access to talking therapies. Talking therapies, such as counselling and cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), are often used to help people who have suicidal thoughts and usually involve talking about your feelings with a professional.
     Reply #8 - March 02, 2015, 01:23 PM

Here are some more numbers you can call in the UK

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Suicide/Pages/Getting-help.aspx

Helplines and support groups

Samaritans (08457 90 90 90) operates a 24-hour service available every day of the year. If you prefer to write down how you are feeling, or if you are worried about being overheard on the phone, you can email Samaritans at jo@samaritans.org.

Childline (0800 1111) runs a helpline for children and young people in the UK. Calls are free and the number will not show up on your phone bill.

PAPYRUS (0800 068 41 41) is a voluntary organisation that supports teenagers and young adults who are feeling suicidal.
    Depression Alliance is a charity for people with depression. It does not have a helpline, but offers a wide range of useful resources and links to other relevant information.

Students Against Depression is a website for students who are depressed, have a low mood or are having suicidal thoughts.

Bullying UK is a website for both children and adults affected by bullying.

Help for young men

Men may be more likely to avoid or ignore problems and many are reluctant to talk about their feelings or seek help when they need it.

A support group called the Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is an excellent resource for young men who are feeling unhappy. As well as the website, CALM also has a helpline (0800 58 58 58).

Talking to someone you trust

If you do not want to speak to someone on a helpline, you could talk to:

a member of your family, a friend or someone you trust, such as a teacher
    your GP, a mental healthcare professional or another healthcare professional
    a minister, priest or other type of religious leader

Seeing your GP

It would also help to see your GP. They can advise you about appropriate treatment if they think you have a mental health condition, such as depression or anxiety.

Your GP may be able to help you with access to talking therapies. Talking therapies, such as counselling and cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), are often used to help people who have suicidal thoughts and usually involve talking about your feelings with a professional.

Additional to this ANYBODY reading this post and is feeling the same way please if a student go to your university counselling service.

Also anybody under any pressure at home due to an honour culture including forced marriage please ring Karma Nirvana and contact the police!

Karma Nirvana
    http://www.karmanirvana.org.uk/
    0800 5999247

Police Honour Crime Unit - London (others around UK)
    http://safe.met.police.uk/crimes_of_honour/get_the_facts.html
     Reply #9 - March 02, 2015, 01:32 PM

A warm welcome Lonelyboy.. 

far away hug
     Reply #10 - March 02, 2015, 02:07 PM

I don't think I would ever be intelligent enough to leave islam if it weren't for the articles on faithfreedom. I think I will never be able to live a peaceful life. I am a 5'3" tall 19 yrs old ugly, skinny, black male, I am terribly poor, I have an iq under 60, I have severe myopia, I have many diseases, and sometimes I have nothing to eat. Girls don't even look at me. Never had sex. No one gives a flying f**k about me.

Look at what I have highlighted above. You must not say these things otherwise they will become your reality (look up epigentics). Start telling yourself that you're ugly and you will become ugly. Feel undesirable? then you will be undesirable. Please don't say your are poor. Get rid of the pauper's mentality. The most influential people started with nothing but life gave them everything because they had the courage to follow their heart. Forget about what anyone else says to you and start listening to your heart.

There's no need to feel like you're in some kind of prison. Get out of the 'victim mode'. Just take a moment, and forget about everything. Clear your mind.

There's always a way out. Success and happiness are waiting to be apart of your life, you just have to let them in.

You are free no matter what you think.

Oh, and welcome  Smiley parrot
     Reply #11 - March 02, 2015, 02:07 PM

No one gives a flying f**k about me.

This isn't true. Your judgement is being clouded by your depression. I've been where you are and I understand how defeating depression can be. But please don't let it control you. Life can be especially tough around your age as you're being pushed into adulthood. But we're here for you when you need advice about it, or just want to talk/vent/moan in general. We're not going to be irritated by your problems. Everyone has them, and talking them through can help a lot. There are many of use here who will happily try to help you, so please talk to us if you need it.

I'd recommend trying the numbers for the support groups mentioned above to help deal with your suicidal thoughts. And if you need someone to simply talk to then we're available. You're also welcome to send me a PM if that helps you.
     Reply #12 - March 02, 2015, 02:15 PM

Listen to everything Hassan said, and stick around to talk to us. I can tell you are being way too hard on yourself. Who told you you have an IQ under 60? Just by your intro thread, that's clearly not the case.
     Reply #13 - March 02, 2015, 06:59 PM

Hey you sound just like me 3 years ago! And firstly it`s okay to feel like that, you have left what was before an important chunk of your life.
    And looks wise- I was a geeky, scarfed up, chubby, anti-social brown girl. I am now still geeky, but skinnier and talk for the world and I pull, which I still find surprising lol.
    Firstly no-one can love you if you don`t love yourself, and for men especially confidence is key. If you seem like one of those confident, carefree men girls will latch on to  Afro
    And looks wise, no-one is perfect, accept that. Because if you can`t accept yourself than I guarantee no-one else will!
    And your only 19, you have the world ahead of you, so I wouldn`t even worry about the sex, it will come  yes

In relation to feeling suicidal please seek help, if your at uni speak to your tutor and counselling service, I confide in my tutor and use the counselling service and I am finally getting the help I should have asked for years ago. There`s also Samaritans and nightline.
    Try to eat, perhaps a sport just to get out and mix with people and I recommend make a list of all the things that make you happy, start doing them! I had this hobby I gave up and it made me so happy, I`ve picked it up again and I feel good  bunny
    Also perhaps speak to some friends?
    Also suicide is not a solution, it`s a way out. One day you will look back at this and think to yourself I was strong enough to fight it  Afro
    And btw your life has not changed, once you`ve dealt with this, there`s so much more to come- you are finally free  Afro

"the question is" said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be the master- that`s all."
    Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking- Glass.
     Reply #14 - March 02, 2015, 07:05 PM

LonelyBoy, when you find yourself thinking about suicide - and believe me you're not alone, not by a very long way, by both people your age, younger, and much older - you must try and focus on absolutely anything else to take your mind away from that thought. Tell yourself you can come back to that later, another time - another day/week/month makes no difference. I can tell you like to think about things, and there are lots of interesting things out there to give your attention to, things that are more positive than suicide, you've been given some good examples. You'll be amazed at how by shifting your perception by just a fraction, can open things up for you in ways you wouldn't believe. You just have to hang in there, even if it just means not doing anything dramatic for today. Remember, in the grand scheme of things, you're only here for a little while, you may a swell see it through - you never know, maybe something incredible is waiting just around the corner, and you must let me know, particularly if it's a lottery win Afro

Ha Ha.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »