Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Muslim sues Costco for religious discrimination

(Read 3648 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Muslim sues Costco for religious discrimination
     OP - March 02, 2015, 02:17 AM

A man is suing Costco for religious discrimination.

He tells Eyewitness News exclusively that when he refused to work with pork, the major retailer sent him outside to gather carts.

"Just because you have a different belief, that doesn't give anybody the right to treat you different," said Jean Camara, suing Costco.

That's why Jean Camara says he's doing what he's doing, suing Costco for religious employment discrimination.

The devout Muslim says he was working as a cashier's assistant at the Costco in Sunset Park Brooklyn in September of 2012 when pork came across the conveyor belt.

It's against his religious beliefs to touch either pork or alcohol.

Camara says after telling his managers this, they transferred him outside collecting the shopping carts.

Camara says they never told him why he was reassigned.

"I think that as the case progresses in the trial we are in now, I think the facts are going to come out and they're going to speak for themselves," said Chauncey Henry, Camara's attorney.

Camara says he asked his managers if he could work in the electronics department, but his requests were repeatedly denied.

He ended up filing a human rights complaint against the company.

16 days later, he was fired for insubordinate conduct.

"We all share different beliefs so we all should be treated equally no matter what belief we have," Camara said. 

"It's not OK to discriminate against someone for their religion. It isn't OK. It isn't OK to treat them differently others because of what they believe in. I think that everyone is entitled to the same treatment. I think that's what this case is about," Henry said. 

http://7online.com/religion/former-employee-suing-costco-for-religious-discrimination-/532866/

"we stand firm calling to allah all the time,
    we let them know - bang! bang! - coz it's dawah time!"
     Reply #1 - March 02, 2015, 02:42 AM

I don't understand what the issue is. He was given a position where he would never have to handle either pork or alcohol, just plastic and metal. That is considered accommodation, not discrimination.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #2 - March 02, 2015, 02:49 AM

It's not really discrimination; he didn't want to fulfill the requirements of the position he had, so he was assigned to another position. It's that simple. Probably gathering carts was the only position they had open that didn't require contact with pork (like deli or meat counter) or alcohol (like shelf stocking). The only other positions they would have had like that would probably have been electronics, and those are competitive and usually on a different pay scheme (usually commission), so would have probably not been available, or bakery, which might require training and again, probably wasn't available. They didn't fire him for being a Muslim, they transferred him to a position that met his demands. So I hope he loses.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #3 - March 02, 2015, 04:12 AM

A comment on the news article on facebook.

"we stand firm calling to allah all the time,
    we let them know - bang! bang! - coz it's dawah time!"
     Reply #4 - March 02, 2015, 06:28 AM

Frivolous lawsuit, they should throw it out right away.
     Reply #5 - March 02, 2015, 08:35 AM

Haha, what would he have the supermarket do, have a "Pork and alcohol"-free cashier aisle?

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
     Reply #6 - March 02, 2015, 08:40 AM

Jeez! The self-entitlement! In some ways worker protections are not good, in the old days this guy would have just been told to sling his hook!
     Reply #7 - March 02, 2015, 09:11 AM

"Just because you have a different belief, that doesn't give anybody the right to treat you different," said Jean Camara, suing Costco.

Just because you have a different faith doesn't mean you are entitled to special treatment...

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #8 - March 02, 2015, 09:19 AM

Just because you have a different faith doesn't mean you are entitled to special treatment...

Also if its true that the customer always comes first then their right to not being treated differently due to belief (i.e liking pork so being sold it without fuss) should come first! If you don't like it, go find a job in an electronics store!
     Reply #9 - March 02, 2015, 12:26 PM

so this guy is suing for being treated differently when all he wanted was to be treated differently due to his religion?  absolute chancer.

wasn#t there another story where a guy sued a company for making him pick up pork or alcohol products with a forklift but it was thrown out because it was shown that he regularly scoffed pork sausages in the work canteen? 

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #10 - March 02, 2015, 01:01 PM

so this guy is suing for being treated differently when all he wanted was to be treated differently due to his religion?  absolute chancer.

wasn't there another story where a guy sued a company for making him pick up pork or alcohol products with a forklift but it was thrown out because it was shown that he regularly scoffed pork sausages in the work canteen? 

I know! The irony!

If that story is true ...  Cheesy
     Reply #11 - March 02, 2015, 02:18 PM

Sounds like he didn't get the most eloquent lawyer, either. He was probably strapped for people to take him on.
     Reply #12 - March 02, 2015, 02:51 PM

http://7online.com/religion/former-employee-suing-costco-for-religious-discrimination-/532866/

In other words:

"Please treat me differently because of my beliefs - while at the same time, don't treat me differently because of my beliefs!!"
     Reply #13 - March 02, 2015, 05:00 PM

I've always wondered how you can work at a check-out without being confronted with pork and alcohol. Would he like a sort of Mecca supermarket with lanes for muslims and for all other people?
     Reply #14 - March 02, 2015, 05:14 PM

I've always wondered how you can work at a check-out without being confronted with pork and alcohol. Would he like a sort of Mecca supermarket with lanes for muslims and for all other people?

Tada!
     Reply #15 - March 02, 2015, 05:17 PM

Cheesy
     Reply #16 - March 02, 2015, 06:04 PM

Cheesy

Another one!

Reply #17 - March 02, 2015, 06:26 PM

LOLZ. Would be bad for business, I guess...
     Reply #18 - March 02, 2015, 06:40 PM

I guess it would be!
     Reply #19 - March 02, 2015, 09:25 PM

Haha, what would he have the supermarket do, have a "Pork and alcohol"-free cashier aisle?

See, now THAT would be discrimination. You can't make a checkout line exclusively for Muslims. That's just not how it works. It's not a Muslim store. It's a huge supermarket. You can't exclude certain customers from certain areas of the store because one guy believes they shouldn't be allowed there. I could say that children shouldn't be allowed in a bookstore's fiction section, but the bookstore doesn't have to cater to me just because I am offended.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #20 - March 03, 2015, 04:17 AM

I would go in the Muslim checkout line. It's probably the only one where you could listen to customers try to bargain with the checker. I need to expose my children to haggling and baksheesh to complete their education.  Yard sales are not enough.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »