Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Danish article on a Muslim apostate

(Read 14127 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Danish article on a Muslim apostate
     OP - February 28, 2015, 04:29 PM

Here is a translation on the article that was printed today in the Danish newspaper Information about my story as an apostate. Thanks to PhysMath who helped me with the translation, and I hope you guys like the article, it has already gone viral in Denmark.
    http://www.information.dk/525822

I shall always be ready with a lie

25-year-old Haifa is living a dual life. One as a Muslim and another as an atheist. She no longer believes in God, but she dare not renounce her beliefs openly in Islam. Therefore, she lives a double life, where she is lying about where she is and who she's with. I hope that one day it stops being a taboo to leave Islam. She relays her story here.

Dual Life. “I am condemned to this double life. I do not believe in any religion, but cannot say it to my family. When I'm alone, I confess myself to atheism, yet it will always be expected that I outwardly behave as a good Muslim. I can live without God, but I cannot live without my family”, says Haifa.

I was born in Denmark, yet neither went to nursery nor kindergarten. So I started in elementary school without knowing a word of Danish. My classmates were all immigrants –maybe there were one or two Danes in the group. When I later switched to an Islamic Private School, I had only Arab classmates and most of the teachers were Muslims. Twice a week I had Qur’anic classes in the local mosque, where I had to memorise the Qur’an. Every time I learned a new verse, my parents would reward me with a gift. In the Private School teachers said that it was imposed on them to teach us about evolution and the Big Bang, but we should remember that it was only a theory, and that obviously God had created the earth. I remember that I went home from school and (excitedly) told my mother everything I had learned about the beginning of the world and of man, who was in fact a developed ape. She was furious. "We do not believe in this!" she said and made me promise that I would never mention Darwin and monkeys again. I did not, but I then began (out of intrigue and curiosity) to pour into books that dealt with science.

The scarf
    Both my parents are extremely conservative and religious. They come from a small town that is heavily Sunni and moved because of my father's political engagement. The fact that they practice their religion here in Denmark has maintained their connection to the Middle East. The more they dedicate their lives to the faith, the closer they feel to their home country, they say. They assess themselves as parents by looking at how good a Muslim I have become. A good Muslim does not believe in evolution and does not question his/her faith. A good Muslim dedicates his/her life for Islam, a concept of honour which the Danes could never understand. I felt distant from everything that I came from when I started to believe in science and asked questions to the Qur’an: Did the semen truly originate from (in between) the spine (and ribcage)? Why is a man's testimony worth twice as much as a woman’s? Why shouldn’t women participate at funerals, and why does the Qur’an allow men to keep slaves?
    All the girls in the class started wearing the scarf when they were 12-13 years. I waited until I was 14. I did not want to wear a headscarf, but thought I would have more in common with the girls in the class if I did. Everyone was so proud of me and said I looked so beautiful covered. I also stopped wearing tight pants to school. Outwardly I looked like someone who was confident in faith, but inside doubts were building. I told a friend about all the things that Islam did not explain, and she gave me a book on the scientific miracles in the Qur’an. It's a book you tend to give to doubters. I needed to believe what was written in it, since apostate Muslims are not worth anything where I reside. The fear of hell was sown in me from the time I was quite small – the destination of the renegade – and every time I was wondering about something, it was considered the whisper of Satan in my head. When I left home and started an education that was in another city, the doubt had room to mature. I re-read the Qur’an with a critical insight and for the first time in my life I stopped identifying myself as a Muslim.

The secret boyfriend

Rumours spread quickly. People I've never heard of called my dad and asked why he let me leave home without a husband, and why he allowed the removal of the scarf. He had real difficult with the latter. He took a vow of silence for several weeks, but I defended my decision to remove the scarf, saying that nowhere in the Qur’an does it say that women must wear headscarves. I said that I still believed in God, but the reality was that I had started a long and lonely process. Leaving Islam was a totally new concept for me. No one I knew had done it before me. I no longer believed in God.
    I got a boyfriend who moved in with me, but it was very secret, and no one knew anything of it. He had a Muslim background like me and did not believe in God anymore. We started life as atheists. We ate bacon to prove that we were no longer Muslims, and I drank alcohol and acquired gay friends. My boyfriend's family were not as faithful as mine, so he chose to tell them that he is an atheist, whilst I continued to live a dual life. In many ways he was a huge support to me, even though we did not go through the same experiences. I will never be able to tell my parents that I have left Islam while he could be open about his atheism. I was very careful of my Facebook activity and how I presented myself on it, since all my family are my 'friends' on it and keeping an eye on what I'm doing. My family never makes unannounced visits, but if one day they do, I know that I have two minutes from the ring the doorbell to clear the inside my apartment of that which they should not see, and send people they should not meet out on the balcony. I am always on the alert, yet a day came where it all went wrong…

I never lend my computer out and am usually very careful to erase my digital tracks. But one day, when an old friend was visiting, and she wanted to show me something on the Internet, we started the computer up and an English article on Muslim apostates appeared I had not closed prior to sleeping the computer. I closed the page down and said that I had not read the story, but just clicked on it, because it was in my Facebook feed. She said nothing, but subsequently went to my parents and asked if I had left Islam. They dismissed it as pure nonsense. Why would their daughter be ex-muslim? Why would anyone leave Islam? In the local environment rumours continued to swirl, and the men demanded that my father take ‘action’. This could either mean that he must personally beat me or move me to somewhere else where I could face such punitive measures. I have seen my father being violent and know what he is capable of. So I said that the rumours were false, and that I was still a good Muslim. My father breathed a sigh of relief. Someone was obviously envious of his skillful, clever daughter, he said.

Life is greater outside of Islam

Last year I was hospitalized with anxiety and depression. I could not take having to live two different lives and got a panic attack. My family were out travelling, so they did not know that I had been admitted to a psychiatric ward for several months. I wanted someone to sit and hold my hand and say that I was a good person. Twice I tried to take my own life with pills. I know it's a stupid way to die, and I also know it may not have been successful but just resulted in a damaged liver. But for me it was a way to get leave the shackles of my mind. When I was hospitalised I only had to lie in bed and focus on getting better. It was simple. Outside it was complicated – I had become a minority of the minority. An immigrant without religion.
    In Denmark, there is no forum for ex-muslims, so I spend a lot of time on a British online community for people who have left Islam. Recently I discovered another Dane in there, who wrote that he had had enough of life. In a private message, I wrote that he should call me, and he did. We met a few days later. He told me that he used to be affiliated with a Muslim congregation in London – eat, sleep and live life under the same roof. Until recently, he was deeply religious, had a long beard, did not listen to music nor talk with girls. Like me, he stopped reading the verses of the Qur’an which he found it hard to believe. Today, he lives in Denmark and no longer see his family. They will not see him and think their son is going to burn in hell. He has repeatedly considered to say that he has become religious again, so he may be allowed to see them once more. Had we known each other a little before, it might not have been so difficult for him. We could have proven to each other that there is more to life than Islam. Letting go of the foundation of one's whole life is an extreme feeling and hard to describe to those not experienced it, and I still, when I am alone, think to myself: Have I made the right decision?

A hard life

I am stuck with this dual life. I do not believe in any religion, but cannot say it to my family. When I'm alone, I submit to my atheistic beliefs, but it will always be expected that I outwardly act as a good Muslim. I can live without God, but I cannot live without my family, and although I do not believe in the Qur'an, I recognize the importance of honour for my parents. I will not be able to convince them that without Islam I can still be a good person and a good daughter. If I came out (with my current beliefs), people would be ashamed to know my family. They would (once more) put pressure on my father; the mosque, family and neighbours, and if my father did not react (as they wish for him to do so), it would be up to the others to 'act'. Such is their mindset. In their world you have to set an example to show others that what I’ve done is not okay.

I dream often about moving far away. This life is too hard. It's hard to be the odd one out, but more people choose to deny their faith, it may be that in the future there will no longer be a danger in breaking up with Islam. Until then, I always look over my shoulder and lie about everything. Where I am, what I'm doing and who I'm with. My father tried to call me the last two days, but I have not picked up the phone. I have not had a good lie ready.

Haifa is an invented name. Her real name is known by the editors

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
     Reply #1 - February 28, 2015, 04:55 PM

Smiley

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #2 - February 28, 2015, 05:11 PM

Good article! Well done you!
     Reply #3 - February 28, 2015, 05:23 PM

you go gal! Afro

Tired of the bull-shit. I write my own doctrines.
     Reply #4 - February 28, 2015, 05:25 PM

This was a great and balanced article to raise awareness of those who did turn away from Islam. To show they are still human. There were no snarky comments or attacks throughout. Very well done Ish. And thank for letting me be a part of the process (I didn't translate, Google did - I just reworded the respective translation to ensure it made sense to the reader)!

One only acquires wisdom when one sets the heart and mind open to new ideas.

Chat: http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/#ex-muslims
     Reply #5 - February 28, 2015, 05:36 PM

Well fucking done Ish!  Afro

You're a star.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #6 - February 28, 2015, 05:42 PM

Great article and well done, Ishtar. I feel it's so important that people know the things ex-muslims have to face.
     Reply #7 - February 28, 2015, 05:52 PM

It would've been better if you mentioned that you mentioned HAYYA.

Great work...is Haifa your real name or pseudonym?

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #8 - February 28, 2015, 05:54 PM

...Haifa is an invented name. Her real name is known by the editors

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #9 - February 28, 2015, 05:57 PM

Oh right, that bit in italics that stands out from the rest of the text...  whistling2

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #10 - February 28, 2015, 06:05 PM

It's okay Jedi. It's okay. At least you still have hayya.

Reply #11 - February 28, 2015, 06:22 PM

What a lovely article! I can see why it got so popular. Well done.
     Reply #12 - February 28, 2015, 06:31 PM

Very well written article Ishtar!  Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #13 - February 28, 2015, 06:31 PM

This was a great and balanced article to raise awareness of those who did turn away from Islam. To show they are still human. There were no snarky comments or attacks throughout. Very well done Ish. And thank for letting me be a part of the process (I didn't translate, Google did - I just reworded the respective translation to ensure it made sense to the reader)!

You still saved me a lot of time though, so I owe you many thanks hugs like I told you on the chat, I was not interested in attacking Islam or anything, just giving a voice to other lonely apostates, so they know there are others going through the same Smiley

Great article and well done, Ishtar. I feel it's so important that people know the things ex-muslims have to face.

Thanks Senga, it's completely unheard of in Denmark, and right now everyone is debating this article on social media. What a lot of people seem to agree on is that there is a need for a forum for ex Muslims and other apostates to go to so they don't feel lonely like I have.

It would've been better if you mentioned that you mentioned HAYYA.

Great work...is Haifa your real name or pseudonym?

Yeah, the journalist had no hayya and made up the part with the alcohol and bacon  whistling2 mysmilie_977

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
     Reply #14 - February 28, 2015, 06:34 PM

Yeah, the journalist had no hayya and made up the part with the alcohol and bacon

Yo' gal iz u bin seriuz or wut?  wacko

Reply #15 - February 28, 2015, 06:37 PM

I guess it's not only in Denmark that people are not aware of these issues, I think it's Europe wide. But so good that there are ever more voices heard!
     Reply #16 - February 28, 2015, 07:27 PM

You still saved me a lot of time though, so I owe you many thanks hugs like I told you on the chat, I was not interested in attacking Islam or anything, just giving a voice to other lonely apostates, so they know there are others going through the same Smiley

Awwwww it is so sweet, yet so many are not going to realise what you are actually doing here! At least it went viral, now it is either gonna have people raging or people sympathising. I was ragefully sympathising

Reply #17 - February 28, 2015, 07:50 PM

Yo' gal iz u bin seriuz or wut?  wacko

Lol no  Cheesy just kidding  whistling2

Reply #18 - February 28, 2015, 09:52 PM

Excellent article.  Afro

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #19 - March 01, 2015, 12:07 AM

Well done and much respect. Afro
     Reply #20 - March 01, 2015, 05:06 AM

Thank you all Smiley I now have a huge problem... My former best friend immediately recognized me in the story... I don't know what to do...

Reply #21 - March 01, 2015, 05:08 AM

Thank you all Smiley I now have a huge problem... My former best friend immediately recognized me in the story... I don't know what to do...

Are they someone who can/will tell your family, or threaten you themselves?

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #22 - March 01, 2015, 05:13 AM

Well she knows my entire family, and she went to the same Islamic school I mention in the article. I'm not sure if she would tell my family though. I haven't replied her message yet. I think she would know I'm lying if I denied it. Man, I'm starting to freak out. I tried to hide my identity as much as I could :/

Reply #23 - March 01, 2015, 05:29 AM

Afro

'I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use: silence, exile and cunning.'
     Reply #24 - March 01, 2015, 07:24 AM

Well she knows my entire family, and she went to the same Islamic school I mention in the article. I'm not sure if she would tell my family though. I haven't replied her message yet. I think she would know I'm lying if I denied it. Man, I'm starting to freak out. I tried to hide my identity as much as I could :/

Try to calm down. It's possible, even if it's unlikely, that she is supportive, if she has known about the other things (like the trip to Spain) and not ratted you out for those. Even if she is antagonistic, it's possible your family would choose not to believe her if she told them, because they don't want to deal with the possibility of your being an apostate. So I would say to remain calm, and say something neutral, neither confirming nor denying that it's about you, and ask her something like if it would impact her perception of you if it was you. I would also affirm that (if you are still friendly towards her) you are still friendly towards her.

Reply #25 - March 01, 2015, 10:17 AM

Try to calm down. It's possible, even if it's unlikely, that she is supportive, if she has known about the other things (like the trip to Spain) and not ratted you out for those. Even if she is antagonistic, it's possible your family would choose not to believe her if she told them, because they don't want to deal with the possibility of your being an apostate. So I would say to remain calm, and say something neutral, neither confirming nor denying that it's about you, and ask her something like if it would impact her perception of you if it was you. I would also affirm that (if you are still friendly towards her) you are still friendly towards her.

I followed your advice, and told her that I appreciate her concern. The conversation ended without me confirming nor denying. Whew. I wonder who else was able to recognize this.

Reply #26 - March 01, 2015, 11:15 AM

That's sound advice! Smiley

Reply #27 - March 01, 2015, 03:28 PM

Be safe, Ishtar! It sounds like you've gotten your friend situation under control, but honestly, if someone else confronts you about this and you don't deny it and just ask them what they think about it, that's probably going to confirm to them that it was you, so be careful. Denying isn't too bad, especially if it ever gets back to your parents, and just emphatically denying it might leave them room to doubt.

Also, if you feel like you might be physically harmed in the worst case scenario, have an escape plan and people you can trust to take you in.
     Reply #28 - March 01, 2015, 04:29 PM

Depends on your relationship with them. If you think they will understand then come clean, otherwise deny, deny, deny.

Edit: Applies to future potential confrontations as well. Only problem with neither confirming nor denying is that if someone has suspicions they could tell others whereas if you deny it might deter them from doing so.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #29 - March 01, 2015, 05:00 PM

I will deny it all from now on. This girl and I used to be best friends and she would know when I'm lying. I have planned with three of my best friends an escape plan in case anything happens and I have a place to stay far away from my city in case I'm discovered. Oh man, this is stressful. Thank you all for the advice hugs

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »