Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Ex-revert here

(Read 7200 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Ex-revert here
     OP - February 26, 2015, 12:42 AM

Been reading the forum for about 6-7 months so I'll finally introduce myself. I became muslim after befriending a group of Muslims several years ago. Almost immediately I began to have doubts. Why do we need hadith if the quran is the perfect word of allah? My doubts were brushed aside with the usual, less than satisfying, its the work of shaitan,  you just need to believe, and so on. I fell into sort of a quranist stance, at least privately, and continued along that way for a couple of years.

Oddly enough, it was dahwaganda that caused me to question again, this time more seriously. You see, I was not dawagandised before; it was the good heartedness of the muslim friends that drew me in. Eventually I started coming across scientific miracle arguments and I wondered why depend on such absurd arguments? Not long after that I found cemb and began reading voraciously. This was during Ramadan 2014. One evening at the mosque before breaking the fast I was dutifully reading quran, sura mariam, and it hit me what a garbled mess!

The only other thing I'll say for now is a big thank you to cemb!
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #1 - February 26, 2015, 01:16 AM

Congratulations and welcome. Have a celebratory, introductory parrot! parrot
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #2 - February 26, 2015, 01:22 AM

Thanks O curiously-avatared one!
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #3 - February 26, 2015, 02:29 AM

parrot
    Welcome!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #4 - February 26, 2015, 10:23 AM

Welcome. I'm sure you know our ritual for new members  parrot  parrot parrot
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #5 - February 26, 2015, 12:25 PM

Hi,

welcome  parrot 
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #6 - February 26, 2015, 12:58 PM

Welcome  Smiley

I'd be interested in how CEMB first came across to you as a doubting Muslim?

The bad as well as the good points please  grin12  - as I think it would be helpful for us to always try to improve the way we are seen by visitors since we always seem to have so many guest visitors reading us these days (I usually see an average of 50 guests whenever I log in.)

Those of us who have been here a long time have got used to the forum and it's members it is not easy for us to see where we may be going  wrong or could improve.

If any other guest reading this - Muslim, Ex-Muslim or never-been-Muslim would like to give their opinion I would ve very grateful.

Thanks - and again welcome Smiley

• Ex-revert here
     Reply #7 - February 27, 2015, 12:53 AM

Astaghfirullah. May Allah guide you towards al Siraat ul Mustaqeem once more. Ameen thuma ameen, ya rabal 3aaaalaameeeeen. La hawla wa la quwata illa billah.

*deep breaths*

Welcome to the forum Smiley parrot

One only acquires wisdom when one sets the heart and mind open to new ideas.

Chat: http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/#ex-muslims
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #8 - February 27, 2015, 04:37 PM

Welcome  Smiley

I'd be interested in how CEMB first came across to you as a doubting Muslim?

The bad as well as the good points please  grin12  - as I think it would be helpful for us to always try to improve the way we are seen by visitors since we always seem to have so many guest visitors reading us these days (I usually see an average of 50 guests whenever I log in.)

Those of us who have been here a long time have got used to the forum and it's members it is not easy for us to see where we may be going  wrong or could improve.

If any other guest reading this - Muslim, Ex-Muslim or never-been-Muslim would like to give their opinion I would ve very grateful.

Thanks - and again welcome Smiley

I think it would be good to welcome ex muslims, ex religionists who still have a faith or some kind of spirituality, and be able to discuss their beleifs after Islam etc. The board is too focused on athiest/science discussions.

Sorry, welcome Fool me once..  x
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #9 - February 27, 2015, 04:52 PM

I think it would be good to welcome ex muslims, ex religionists who still have a faith or some kind of spirituality, and be able to discuss their beleifs after Islam etc. The board is too focused on athiest/science discussions.

Fair point, Lua.
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #10 - February 27, 2015, 04:58 PM

I'm not Lua btw lol

Yeah i reckon there will be a few ex muslim, apostates visiting here who will still be figuring out what remains of their beliefs or lack of, would be interesting to hear them write about it i guess so..

x
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #11 - February 27, 2015, 05:17 PM

Damn! Sorry Suki - that's the second time I've mistaken you for Lua.

Yes - I agree - though I'm not sure how to deal with that problem since most of us here are not in that initial stage of losing our faith anymore and have moved on somewhat. Perhaps we should just try to be a bit gentle, patient and understanding to newbies. Though to be fair I think most of us are. (Apart from perhaps Yeezy Wink )
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #12 - March 01, 2015, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

To answer your question Hassan, what attracted me to cemb as  a doubting muslim was definitely the abundance of thoughtful discourse about islamic scripture as well as the threads on contemporary islamic studies.
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #13 - March 01, 2015, 09:52 PM

To answer your question Hassan, what attracted me to cemb as  a doubting muslim was definitely the abundance of thoughtful discourse about islamic scripture as well as the threads on contemporary islamic studies.

Thanks Smiley

Did you ever feel posts were biased, islamophobic or bigoted in any way?
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #14 - March 02, 2015, 03:12 AM

Hassan,
    To me cemb has been a breath of fresh air in a sea of Islam-bashing sites long on froth but short on substance. Certainly there is a range of discourse here, from blunt criticism of all religion to measured analysis of scriptural sources. Overall I've not found the posts to be islamophobic or bigoted-- maybe some occasional background noise here and there-- but on the whole,  no.
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #15 - March 02, 2015, 05:46 AM

Welcome to your new friends here on CEMB and even though I'm a bit late, have a parrot!  parrot parrot parrot

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #16 - March 02, 2015, 11:55 AM

Hassan,
    To me cemb has been a breath of fresh air in a sea of Islam-bashing sites long on froth but short on substance. Certainly there is a range of discourse here, from blunt criticism of all religion to measured analysis of scriptural sources. Overall I've not found the posts to be islamophobic or bigoted-- maybe some occasional background noise here and there-- but on the whole,  no.

That is really good to hear  Afro

Thanks for the feedback, fool me once   Smiley
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #17 - March 06, 2015, 01:23 AM

Welcome. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #18 - April 15, 2015, 12:45 PM

yeaay another former Quranist  dance

Welcome, have a  piggy
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #19 - April 15, 2015, 04:19 PM

"One evening at the mosque before breaking the fast I was dutifully reading quran, sura mariam, and it hit me what a garbled mess!"

Indeed! It's weird how religious texts can hit people as a 'revelation', either definitively for or absolutely against. What would the odds be on you re-reverting?

Ha Ha.
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #20 - April 15, 2015, 05:51 PM

Or re-converting, since the islamic concept of re-vert as opposed to con-vert is so fucked up and blatantly false.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #21 - April 15, 2015, 06:04 PM

"Or re-converting, since the islamic concept of re-vert as opposed to con-vert is so fucked up and blatantly false."

Yeah, I haven't a clue how it works with the labels. Having said that, I can think of a new one for this particular phenomena right now, but I'll keep it under wraps  Smiley

Ha Ha.
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #22 - April 15, 2015, 07:16 PM

Revert - everyone is born muslim, it's your parents/society that convinces you of the falseness of allah. So, as everyone is born a muslim, converts aren't con-verts, they're re-verts.

• Ex-revert here
     Reply #23 - April 15, 2015, 08:58 PM

Or re-converting, since the islamic concept of re-vert as opposed to con-vert is so fucked up and blatantly false.

Apparently we are all born Muslim yet I didn't come in to the world knowing that there is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his final messenger, odd that. If God wanted to he could have written it in Arabic on the back of our hands, I guess he likes playing games with us, thankfully its only the destination our eternal soul at stake.
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #24 - April 15, 2015, 09:02 PM

Unless you come out your mother's womb declaring in arabic "There is no god but allah and Mo is his messenger", you aren't born muslim.

• Ex-revert here
     Reply #25 - April 15, 2015, 09:06 PM

"Apparently we are all born Muslim yet I didn't come in to the world knowing that there is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his final messenger, odd that. If God wanted to he could have written it in Arabic on the back of our hands, I guess he likes playing games with us, thankfully its only the destination our eternal soul at stake."

Oh come on, how can you be such an ingrate - I suppose you didn't notice when 'Allah' in Arabic, was found inscribed on a crisp? Or when it was written in the cloud formation? Or on a piece of bark in the woods?

Some people wouldn't notice if the prophet himself was to sand-dance out from behind a shrubbery, whilst balancing the Koran on his.....head.

Ha Ha.
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #26 - April 15, 2015, 09:13 PM

Sometimes I imagine the logical (if covering all religions) result if the dawah chimps got their wish for a blasphemy law. You say Jesus isn't god? Blasphemy against christianity which is (as I type this) the largest religion in this country! What? All children are born muslim? Blasphemy against judaism which teaches the religion is passed on through the mother! There's only one god? Blasphemy against hindus and pagans!

And so on.

• Ex-revert here
     Reply #27 - April 15, 2015, 09:14 PM

Oh come on, how can you be such an ingrate - I suppose you didn't notice when 'Allah' in Arabic, was found inscribed on a crisp? Or when it was written in the cloud formation? Or on a piece of bark in the woods?

Some people wouldn't notice if the prophet himself was to sand-dance out from behind a shrubbery, whilst balancing the Koran on his.....head.

Praise Allah
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #28 - April 16, 2015, 03:52 AM

"One evening at the mosque before breaking the fast I was dutifully reading quran, sura mariam, and it hit me what a garbled mess!"

Indeed! It's weird how religious texts can hit people as a 'revelation', either definitively for or absolutely against. What would the odds be on you re-reverting?

1,573,288:1
  • Ex-revert here
     Reply #29 - April 16, 2015, 08:49 AM

'What would the odds be on you re-reverting?'

'1,573,288:1'

I thought it would be something like that, and I reckon all ex muslims would give similarly astronomical odds.

Ha Ha.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »