Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Physicists and Philosophers

(Read 13018 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Physicists and Philosophers
     OP - February 25, 2015, 09:41 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SljwUvDJteI

Quote from: Sean Carroll's blog

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #1 - February 26, 2015, 12:57 PM

https://scientiasalon.wordpress.com/

Scientia Salon is an online magazine that looks like a blog, devoted to public discussions of themes drawing from philosophy and the natural and social sciences.

Contributors are academics who do not shy from the label of “public intellectuals,” and who feel that engaging in public discourse is vital to what they do and to society at large.

“Scientia” is the Latin word for knowledge, broadly construed – i.e., in an ampler fashion than that implied by the English term science. Scientia includes the natural sciences, the social sciences, philosophy, logic and mathematics. And Salons, of course, were the social engine of the Age of Reason in France and throughout much of Europe.

http://rationallyspeaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Rationally Speaking is a blog maintained by Prof. Massimo Pigliucci, a philosopher at the City University of New York. The blog reflects the Enlightenment figure Marquis de Condorcet's idea of what a public intellectual (yes, we know, that's such a bad word) ought to be: someone who devotes himself to "the tracking down of prejudices in the hiding places where priests, the schools, the government, and all long-established institutions had gathered and protected them." You're welcome. Please notice that the contents of this blog can be reprinted under the standard Creative Commons license.

Reply #2 - February 28, 2015, 07:34 PM

I was listening to this as I was washing the dishes. During my time of jahiliya (when I was doing a science based undergrad), I used to consider the question of "what is the point of philosophy? All it does is ask questions which lead to more questions ad infinitum ?" Then I realised this is itself philosophical by nature (the question) and I decided to become open minded about it. I got thirsty and had a glass of water after that.

This was really interesting to listen to. Some main points to highlight:
    1. Those who know what they are talking about should comment on a topic.
    2. Children should be introduced into the discourse on philosophy, science, mathematics and logic.
    3. We need to educate the general populus.
    4. This Italian dude is pretty awesome.

One only acquires wisdom when one sets the heart and mind open to new ideas.

Chat: http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/#ex-muslims
     Reply #3 - February 28, 2015, 07:40 PM

Yeah, Massimo is an absolute boss.

An evolutionary biologist of 20 years turned Philosopher, he does a lot of work aimed at the public level.

Reply #4 - March 01, 2015, 01:33 AM

Hitler rants against the Philosophers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goZJ7OBMhXw

Reply #5 - March 01, 2015, 01:50 AM

LOOOOOOOOOL love it Cheesy

Reply #6 - March 03, 2015, 04:13 PM

Philosophy: To know if anything has any meaning you have to first spend lots of time arguing about the meaning of meaning.
     Reply #7 - March 03, 2015, 05:55 PM

Philosophy: To know if anything has any meaning you have to first spend lots of time arguing about the meaning of meaning.

False, that's a misrepresentation of Philosophy.

The above notwithstanding, your statement is still wrong. Philosophy doesn't concern itself with excessively arguing about what "meaning means" as that uselessly begs the question. Logic doesn't concern itself with what "meaning means", Philosophy of religion doesn't, Philosophy of mathematics doesn't, Philosophy of science doesn't, epistemology doesn't, metaphysics doesn't, Political philosophy doesn't and ethics doesn't.

The only field that actually concentrates on what "meaning" is, is the Philosophy of language. And even so, wanting to know more about the nature and implications of meaning isn't the same as arguing about what "meaning means".

Reply #8 - May 01, 2015, 07:47 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9tH3AnYyAI8

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #9 - May 01, 2015, 08:28 PM

NeoCons........cons.... con-men .. they change the colors .. they look benign but dangerous and cancerous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNh-pY3hJnY

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #10 - May 02, 2015, 04:44 PM

False, that's a misrepresentation of Philosophy.

The above notwithstanding, your statement is still wrong. Philosophy doesn't concern itself with excessively arguing about what "meaning means" as that uselessly begs the question. Logic doesn't concern itself with what "meaning means", Philosophy of religion doesn't, Philosophy of mathematics doesn't, Philosophy of science doesn't, epistemology doesn't, metaphysics doesn't, Political philosophy doesn't and ethics doesn't.

The only field that actually concentrates on what "meaning" is, is the Philosophy of language. And even so, wanting to know more about the nature and implications of meaning isn't the same as arguing about what "meaning means".

no it isn't, most philosophical arguments boil down to semantic arguments over definitions
     Reply #11 - June 30, 2015, 08:13 PM

no it isn't, most philosophical arguments boil down to semantic arguments over definitions

I believe Qtian is right though, serpent. I know where you're coming from, but in any argument, the definitions must be made clear and rigorous (read unambiguous) at the beginning and then these definitions used in an argument. There is then no room or degree of freedom for arguing meanings, rather the applications of said definitions into formal proofs. The formal structure employed just doesn't concern itself with the earlier steps at all. Most generally, Qtian is using a formal definition of the term "meaning" here which is perhaps not what you meant. In any case he is right.

Reply #12 - July 10, 2015, 10:47 AM

Oh dear. Well serpent, allow me to correct your mistakes.

This was your first assertion:

Quote from: serpentofeden
    Philosophy: To know if anything has any meaning you have to first spend lots of time arguing about the meaning of meaning

This implies that arguing over the "meaning of meaning" is a necessary condition on philosophical progress. I rebutted this by way of several counterexamples. Thus far, you've managed to address a grand total of zero of my claims. You then proceeded to stick your fingers in your ears and repeat a slightly more coherent version of your original misrepresentation of Philosophy:

most philosophical arguments boil down to semantic arguments over definitions

And this shows that you don't really don't have a clue. If I'm mistaken then please do demonstrate otherwise. It's simply not the case that most philosophical arguments boil down to semantic arguments over definitions. I'd be interested to see what evidence you have for this claim, serpent. You've inadvertently made a statistical claim about the entire nature of a discipline. So please, do go ahead and show how >50% of philosophical arguments are petty squabbling over definitions. Here, I'll even help you out: http://philpapers.org/. Philpapers is pretty representative of what goes on in Philosophy so if you can show that the majority of the arguments on that site boil down to petty semantics then I'll concede your claim.

Philosophy is typically not so much concerned with definitions, but with concepts. Philosophers want to get clear on the precise nature of concepts like "knowledge," or "justice," or "intention." And it's stupid to think that these issues are just petty squabbling over mere "definitions." I mean, here's an analogy: "physics is just petty semantics. 'Does the Higgs boson exist?' What a stupid semantic question. It's all just a matter of how you define it. If you define the Higgs boson as the city of Atlantis then it doesn't exist. If you define it some other way, maybe it does!" Obviously, this is stupid. Physicists are investigating the possible existence of something with certain properties. As they learn more, they can get more precise on how such a thing behaves, and what properties it has. Similarly, philosophers are investigating the nature of certain concepts. As they do the work, they get more clear on the concept. So, yeah, "semantics" matters -- that is, getting clear on meaning is important. But to dismiss the field as "just semantics" misses what they are doing entirely.

I know that Philosophy bashing is a current fad, but it's an intellectually vacuous one. If the logical positivists couldn't relegate the importance of Philosophy then you'll have to excuse me for thinking that serpentofeden can't either.

I'd suggest that you read some actual Philosophy. But if you wish to continue embarrassing yourself then I'd be happy to entertain you.

Reply #13 - July 27, 2015, 08:13 PM

Saw that ages ago. As expected, Krauss was pretty clueless for the majority of the dialogue. Dennett did an okay job in correcting his mistakes. Massimo was the star of the show even though he was (I think,inadvertently) attacking a straw man in the economics discussion, by confusing classical and neoclassical schools of thought.

Reply #14 - August 22, 2015, 09:28 PM

I believe Qtian is right though, serpent. I know where you're coming from, but in any argument, the definitions must be made clear and rigorous (read unambiguous) at the beginning and then these definitions used in an argument. There is then no room or degree of freedom for arguing meanings, rather the applications of said definitions into formal proofs. The formal structure employed just doesn't concern itself with the earlier steps at all. Most generally, Qtian is using a formal definition of the term "meaning" here which is perhaps not what you meant. In any case he is right.

Serpent is definitely wrong as I illustrated in my response, but he's wrong for reasons other than the above. The mistake he made was that he (unsuccessfully) attempted to reduce philosophy to its form rather than its content.

Sociologists could do the same to science and reduce it to a game of vying for research grants. I don't need to explain why this would be a misrepresentation of science. Similarly, my response should make it clear why Serpent's ill-supported claims were blatant misrepresentations of an extremely broad field of study.

Reply #15 - August 22, 2015, 09:36 PM

I'm bored of hearing shitty arguments like "philosophy is just semantics" or "philosophy doesn't progress".

Your ignorance isn't a cogent argument.

Reply #16 - August 26, 2015, 06:20 PM

Serpent, not that I'm trying to subject you to any sort of time limit or anything... but are you ever planning on responding?

It should be pretty clear that your naive assertions have been refuted, do you agree?
    The ball is now in your court.

Reply #17 - September 02, 2015, 12:46 PM

Philosophy is starting to lose its rank, as math, science, sociology, psychology and everyother branch of the original philosophy branched of and now the arguments presented in philosophy has to fit the established facts of those modern subjects. That explains why peter mullican, arif ahmed, sean carrol, max tegmark, william kraig and many other philosophers ( aside from sean, arif and peter, the rest are not active philosophers; i only mentioned these guys as they are most active) (who also specialize in other subjects) ground their philosophical arguments to fit established facts of modern science.
     Reply #18 - September 02, 2015, 12:49 PM

I'm bored of hearing shitty arguments like "philosophy is just semantics" or "philosophy doesn't progress".

Your ignorance isn't a cogent argument.

im doing BA philosophy and believe it or not philosophy does progress, it actually progresses through its ofshoot subjects.
     Reply #19 - September 02, 2015, 01:21 PM

Philosophy is starting to lose its rank, as math, science, sociology, psychology and everyother branch of the original philosophy branched of and now the arguments presented in philosophy has to fit the established facts of those modern subjects. That explains why peter mullican, arif ahmed, sean carrol, max tegmark, william kraig and many other philosophers (who also specialize in other subjects) ground their philosophical arguments to fit established facts of modern science.

This is due hard sciences provide careers which people are really after. The value of philosophy is hidden within many different subjects but often overshadowed by the hard science itself. Many methods within science are ground in philosophy but philosophy is only mentioned in passing before moving on to teach these methods. For example in every hard science course I have taken I learned of the methodology before discussion about how the methodology developed. There was next to no information regarding the philosophy of science. More so certain ideas are emphasized more than other ideas. Verification over falsification. Hence you will notice demands for evidence rather than points of falsification.
     Reply #20 - September 02, 2015, 02:57 PM

Actually the STEM subjects are some of the least studied subjects, brian cox explained how they only recently became popular, so its not about careers, especially when you understand how hard they are to study and how only a few are qualified to pursue them. Recently i posted a video on the philosophy forum (what is philosophy?) it details the origins of philosophy and what value it has today. Modern philosophy is not what it was in the earlier centuries, the other subjects have branched of to establish evidence over justifications. The hard sciences (biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, sociology, neuroscience, mechanics etc etc) are all evidence based subjects, the application of evidence is reality, hence modern philosophy revolves around arguments implemented which go hand to hand with established sciences, you can see that from the debates between theist and atheist philosophers, all of who implement science to their arguments, for validity.
     Reply #21 - August 31, 2016, 07:28 PM

Homo Novus man.

Why did you have to fuck up my thread man.

It looked so nice and then you came in with some random and barely coherent bullshit about science offering "validity" to arguments, which makes zero formal logical sense.

Validity is a way of gauging the logical structure and internal consistency of an argument, it has nothing to do with empirical evidence lmao.

Reply #22 - August 31, 2016, 07:35 PM

Oh dear. Well serpent, allow me to correct your mistakes.

I won this argument so hard.

Reply #23 - September 01, 2016, 07:04 AM

Lol, proud of you Q. You da man  Afro

Hi
     Reply #24 - September 01, 2016, 11:10 AM

Omg you're back?

Or is this one of those rare musivore moments, where you say a word or two and disappear only for us to fend for ourselves?

We're in the Serengeti, and we want out.

Reply #25 - September 01, 2016, 04:03 PM

Haha. I see you're as funny and clever as ever. I popped in to say hi to you. I might hang around, but will ease in slowly if I do. Talking of easing in slowly, I have a story to tell you about this one time...

Hi
     Reply #26 - September 01, 2016, 04:17 PM

Can I consider the above to be a character reference?

If so, may I please forward it to my probation officer?

Reply #27 - September 01, 2016, 04:18 PM

Talking of easing in slowly, I have a story to tell you about this one time...

Wrong hole?

I was meaning to tell you about this one time too, but my memory has gone limp...

Reply #28 - December 31, 2016, 02:46 AM

Looking back at this thread, this was crazy. Not sure if Qtian is still about.
     Reply #29 - January 01, 2017, 09:45 PM

Looking back at this thread, this was crazy. Not sure if Qtian is still about.

No

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »