Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: I'm debating this Friday!

(Read 2406 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • I'm debating this Friday!
     OP - February 23, 2015, 01:16 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3GrdDpuwlk

Be there! Smiley

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #1 - February 23, 2015, 01:32 PM

This Friday is a slippery customer. I debated them once, only for them to turn into last Friday within 24 hours. Be very careful.
     Reply #2 - February 23, 2015, 01:42 PM

lol
     Reply #3 - February 23, 2015, 03:48 PM

TheRationalizer

Have you seen this...cant use twitter any longer but this might answer your question
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=28275.msg808119#msg808119
     Reply #4 - February 26, 2015, 05:25 PM

27.5 hours to go. I have some new arguments to try out  dance

Reply #5 - February 26, 2015, 05:29 PM

Ask him if he thinks the Universe began to exist.

If he says yes, hit him with this:

Oh wait, the debate topic is the Qur'an...

Nvm.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #6 - February 26, 2015, 05:37 PM

Looking forward to it, mate  Smiley
     Reply #7 - February 26, 2015, 05:37 PM

TheRationalizer, I just copied a link to your youtube channel in a discussion with a muslima who keeps telling us that there are many western scientists that say the quran is true. Well, you know the ones you debunked. Nice work.
     Reply #8 - February 26, 2015, 05:52 PM

That's just a poor argument from authority. Even if it were true, why would it matter if "many western scientists say that the Qur'an is true"?

Opinion is not a substitute for evidence. Also, the scientific method as practiced deals with natural rather than supernatural claims, with the Qur'an being a member of the latter set.

If it were true that "So many historians of Islam have come to the conclusion that the Qur'an might be true",  it would be worth considering on the basis that their field is closely related to what the Qur'an has to say. Nonetheless, it still fails if the only argument given for the truth of the Qur'an is that "X amount of people believe that it is true". What we believe to be true has no bearing on what is actually true.

Reply #9 - February 26, 2015, 06:06 PM

I know many brown people put a premium on the word of a white man, especially if that white man is praising Islam.

See...it must be true...he's saying Islam is the number 1 religion in the world...and he's white! (Imagine Citizen Khan's voice).

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #10 - February 28, 2015, 11:49 AM

That was really hard work! Why can't people just have honest debates instead of using tactics such as evasion and pretending not to understand something very simple?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg45PzozDA8

Reply #11 - February 28, 2015, 12:22 PM

I said it somewhere else before, and I'll say it again: I don't know how you put up with this without getting an aneurysm.
     Reply #12 - February 28, 2015, 01:20 PM

"If two different words are used, how is it a contradiction?"

Contradictions can only exist when the same words are used? Apologetics is so strange.

Reply #13 - February 28, 2015, 01:46 PM

That was really hard work! Why can't people just have honest debates instead of using tactics such as evasion and pretending not to understand something very simple?

Gosh, what a tiresome discussion.
    But wasn't it to be expected that the other person would make use of these tactics?
     Reply #14 - February 28, 2015, 02:00 PM

"If two different words are used, how is it a contradiction?"

Contradictions can only exist when the same words are used? Apologetics is so strange.

Bit like the difference between error and mistake! Can be used interchangeably.
     Reply #15 - February 28, 2015, 02:05 PM

Man... the whole challenge of bringing 10 people - Why would you even bother accepting that challenge Rationalizer? I am so upset!!! I have not seen a claim more ludicrous in a serious debate and somehow you took the bait.

First, the conclusion doesn't follow the premise as you rightly pointed out.
    But equally importantly, where  would you find 10 people who are crazy enough to take up such a task? Especially if their actions in the end prove nothing!

One argument you should have considered was that Quran is relatively easy to memorize because:
    1. the memorizers generally start at a young age , unlike other cultures where children aren't exposed to serious religious literature until they grow up. Btw. a lot of mental and physical abuse goes on as part of that training, so it's not comparable to going through another book (say of literature) that one can afford to be much more cavalier about.

2. Quran has a lot of copy-paste material, that inherent redundancy also helps with memorization

3. in eastern cultures, memorizing other texts is also commonplace - hadith literature, poetry, fatwas etc. The people who memorize Quran, esp. mullahs, are *also* good at memorizing other material. I knew few mullahs in the US who preferred to memorize phone numbers instead of recording in their cellphones. Why? because they have been trained in the way of rote learning as part of their religious training.

4. People like Darren Brown have demonstrated that there are mentalist techniques that allow people to memorize large bodies of text. The reason why that type of skill remains rather obscure is obvious: memorization is different from learning, so it's pointless to cram a whole book and waste all that time on it. Even in the case of Quran, Quran itself doesn't even ask people to memorize it but rather contemplate etc.
     Reply #16 - February 28, 2015, 03:18 PM

Sorry mate - this is why I'm not interested in debating.

Anyway you deserve a medal for your patience  Afro
     Reply #17 - February 28, 2015, 06:18 PM

I would have replied to the Dawahbot that things are memorised for a REASON, but that doesn't prove no supernatural sorcerer who is a part-time author wrote anything. The reason Quran is memorised because Surahs are uttered in Namaz and with Taraveeh, the whole Quran is recited out loud over 30 days. The same way other religions prayers are memorised to perform that specific religious ritual. The same way those who perform Shakespeare in Theatres have to memorise a whole Shakespeare book word-for-word for the reason to perform it live.

If Christianity had a practice where the whole Bible had to be spoken out loud from memory then for that REASON a lot more Christians would have memorised the Bible, but that wouldn't prove Jesus was resurrected or be an argument for Jesus being resurrected.

Those who've been raised in Islam like me and many others are obviously be aware of something like taraveeh that Rash doesn't.
     Reply #18 - February 28, 2015, 06:22 PM

Certain orators would memorise the Homeric Epics and the Rammayana and in many oral tribes the same thing is done with their sacred texts or oral histories...wish more people would study sociology/anthropology than commit to such fallacies...

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #19 - February 28, 2015, 06:24 PM

The Griot and African American Poets

When discussing the poetry created by African Americans just prior to the Civil War, another African tradition comes into play: that of the West African griot. In West African culture, both historically and today, each tribal clan has had its griot, an itinerant clan member who is combination historian-musician-storyteller: "A Griot is an oral historian and musician," explains Foday Musa Suso, one of West Africa 's most respected and well-known contemporary griots. "Griots were trusted court advisors to the kings of West Africa from the twelfth century to the twentieth. Every king wanted a Griot to recite the history of the kingdom, and to pass it down from father to son. History wasn't written down – everything was memorized and recited or sung." The griot memorized the clan's significant events such as births, deaths, marriages, hunts, and wars, ensuring the continuity of the collective heritage and culture. "If you want to buy some cloth, go to the weaver. If you want a hoe, ax or knife, then go to the blacksmith. But if you want to know the history of the people, you must go to the griots." Often accompanied by the kora (a harp-like stringed instrument), drumming and/or the handclapping of the villagers, a griot might speak for hours, even days, drawing upon a practiced and memorized history, passed from griot to griot for generations. It is said that, "when a griot dies, a library has burned to the ground."

Reply #20 - February 28, 2015, 08:28 PM

Shall we all watch the video and have a shot of Tequila everytime Shabir says 'objective test' and/or 'respectfully'.

Why do Dawahgandists have tehse words that they use such as Tortoise always say 'I will humbly say...' as if they need to convince you of something.

Reply #21 - February 28, 2015, 09:34 PM

They also say 'first and foremost' all the time. Then I'm on guard Wink
     Reply #22 - February 28, 2015, 09:52 PM

Zakir Naikisms:

Brother asked a very good question

As the sister just asked

When we read from the Quran Chapter number X verses number X

I have never heard a scientist say fact of evolution

I hope that answers your question

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »