Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 12:02 PM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: New member, old ex-muslim

(Read 4071 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • New member, old ex-muslim
     OP - February 22, 2015, 02:03 PM

Hello

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I left Islam way back in 2005 after the London bombings. I had been struggling with Islam for a few years after 9/11 and I discovered the works of Ibn Warraq, Irshad Manji, Ayaan Hirsi and Ali Dashti. I have since lost respect for all of these people but their works crucially opened my eyes to apostasy as an option.

The world has changed a lot since 2005. I thoroughly believe that it is nastier, more paranoid, more callous and impersonal. The rise of the Islamic state is not only a consequence of disenfranchisement, social isolation and misguided hawkish foreign policies from the likes of Bush, Blair and McCain but it also tells us a lot about ourselves in the West. What we seem to be learning is that enough surface scratching can undo 200 years of progress and pain rather quickly. I am worried not just for Muslims and minorities in the West (and the Near East and South Asia) but also for the hard fought ideals and pillars of all great civilisations. I hope to see the recent trends change.

More about me: I work in education, I am a small-A atheist, I live in England and I spend my spare time cooking for people. I just thought I'd say hi and I've lurked here for a bit so I know that you usually give people parrots. So I've already built a nice home for them in my garden.

Looking forward to meeting all.
     Reply #1 - February 22, 2015, 02:06 PM

parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot parrot
    Welcome to the forum josoj, hope you will enjoy your time here and give these parrots a good home! Cheesy

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
     Reply #2 - February 22, 2015, 02:06 PM

Welcome in  parrot
     Reply #3 - February 22, 2015, 02:10 PM

Thank you all. There's something cool about birds in general. They are sharper and more resourceful than we as humans give them credit for. I used to have bird houses in my garden when I lived in a detached house. I can't do the same in a flat unfortunately.
     Reply #4 - February 22, 2015, 02:25 PM

Welcome!  parrot
     Reply #5 - February 22, 2015, 03:06 PM

Welcome josoj - I agree the world seems to be a much darker place at the moment, but let's be optimistic and say it is only the darkness before the dawn.

We will all die one day - let's die trying to make a better world and thinking good thoughts.  Smiley
     Reply #6 - February 22, 2015, 03:35 PM

Welcome to the forum! Have a parrot ... of a new kind...

One only acquires wisdom when one sets the heart and mind open to new ideas.

Chat: http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/#ex-muslims
     Reply #7 - February 22, 2015, 03:46 PM

Thank you Lua and big thanks for the extra special parrot physmath!

Thank you too Abu Ali. Last December I spent two consecutive days on 6 hour trains and I read your book on my phone. I loved it and I would just like to say thank you for making my journey entertaining and enlightening

Going back to your point, I'm finding it very hard to be optimistic or positive about our collective futures. Yes, the night is darkest before the day but the Earth has to move before the sun rises again. Many people had to protest, lose everything and die to go from segregation and apartheid in the USA and South Africa to legal equality. On a global scale it took 60 million deaths and years of brutal warring to move from tyrannical regimes and global economic depression to the booms of the 50s. I can't think of how violently the earth has to move before things start getting better.

Sorry for being so negative.
     Reply #8 - February 22, 2015, 03:48 PM

Welcome to the forum, josoj Smiley

Thank you all. There's something cool about birds in general. They are sharper and more resourceful than we as humans give them credit for. I used to have bird houses in my garden when I lived in a detached house. I can't do the same in a flat unfortunately.

Birds are awesome. I have one myself, a belligerent little bugger who tries to bite my finger off when I try to feed him.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #9 - February 22, 2015, 03:53 PM

Thank you Lua and big thanks for the extra special parrot physmath!

I'm glad you liked it, you're very welcome. I think the other parrots have got a thing for mine! Wink

Going back to your point, I'm finding it very hard to be optimistic or positive about our collective futures. Yes, the night is darkest before the day but the Earth has to move before the sun rises again. Many people had to protest, lose everything and die to go from segregation and apartheid in the USA and South Africa to legal equality. On a global scale it took 60 million deaths and years of brutal warring to move from tyrannical regimes and global economic depression to the booms of the 50s. I can't think of how violently the earth has to move before things start getting better.

Your negativity is well founded though. It is hard to be positive or optimistic when history only ever tends to repeat itself. However, the light comes from the good people out there, the few shining, bright people who amidst the darkness empower you to keep going. The selfless few who can do this individually can push, one person at a time, a nation of people who stand together. I know this part is very optimistic but then that's really all that can be done aside from political lobbying and generally ranting/complaining about it.

Reply #10 - February 22, 2015, 03:56 PM

Welcome.

http://giphy.com/gifs/cheezburger-bird-money-atm-3fqXc6Z2HRgUE
     Reply #11 - February 22, 2015, 04:03 PM

@Naerys

That used to be tricky sometimes but you find ways around the ever-present problem of feeding belligerent birds

Thank you Zeca, very cool gif.

And yes physmath this is true. What makes it all the harder is that I'm finding fewer and fewer of such people around, and the ones I found years ago have either been worn down or have radically changed. It's hard to put your faith in humans and be rewarded. I suppose it makes it all the more special when your faith is rewarded.
     Reply #12 - February 22, 2015, 04:04 PM

Thank you too Abu Ali. Last December I spent two consecutive days on 6 hour trains and I read your book on my phone. I loved it and I would just like to say thank you for making my journey entertaining and enlightening

Thank you. Glad you found it enlightening Smiley

No need to be sorry - I totally understand. I struggle to be positive myself - the advice to be positive was for me as much as it was for you lol  Wink
     Reply #13 - February 22, 2015, 04:05 PM

haha
     Reply #14 - February 22, 2015, 04:09 PM

Great Gif!
     Reply #15 - February 22, 2015, 06:40 PM

And yes physmath this is true. What makes it all the harder is that I'm finding fewer and fewer of such people around, and the ones I found years ago have either been worn down or have radically changed. It's hard to put your faith in humans and be rewarded. I suppose it makes it all the more special when your faith is rewarded.

Well I hope that we people here at CEMB can show you that good, honest, caring, loving, all round wonderful people do still exist. I tend to put my faith in people and not expect any sort of personal reward - sometimes what this does is it encourages them to keep being good - and yes I know the lack of reciprocating of that effort can lead to disappointment but chances are they will reflect and you will tap into their inner self, the inner human that wants to do good. It's like when you are extracting diamonds, you can't just scrape at it - you have to fully work at it and have faith and eventually a diamond comes out. I believe in your ability to believe in others - and I hope this helps you to feel better about the situation! Smiley

Reply #16 - February 22, 2015, 06:42 PM

Well hello there. It seems you've been given the welcome standard parrot parrot, but the resident gangster is here to give you an extra special bunny. bunny

Just like Johnny Flynn said, the breath I've taken and the one I must to go on.
     Reply #17 - February 22, 2015, 06:52 PM

Welcome!  parrot

It's so nice to see all these new people.

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
     Reply #18 - February 22, 2015, 10:25 PM

Welcome josoj,

I hope I can catch you earlier in the next chat  parrot
     Reply #19 - February 23, 2015, 04:44 AM

parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #20 - February 23, 2015, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the chat yesterday, nice meeting you and hope to catch you there again soon  parrot

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
     Reply #21 - February 26, 2015, 12:39 AM

Welcome to the forum! Have another parrot Cheesy  parrot

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Es sitzt keine Krone so fest und so hoch,
    Der mutige Springer erreicht sie doch.

I don't give a fuck about your war, or your President.
     Reply #22 - February 26, 2015, 02:32 AM

parrot

Welcome!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »